Posts from ·gammafunk·
Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 05:15
My fellow warriors, adventurers, zealots, mages, BATTLEMAGES, and sword-and-board melee toons, it’s time for another Trunk Update. We’ll hopefully be at feature freeze in the next few weeks to prepare for the upcoming release and tournament. More info on those last two will be posted when things are finalized. Until then, here’s what’s changed in the two months (!) since our last update:
- New experimental Gnoll species:
- They have a short attention span mutation. This means they have +4 in all aptitudes, but starting at skill level 7, their aptitude drops by 2 for each full skill level trained, until reaching skill level 12 where the aptitude remains at -6 from then on. You’re probably gonna wanna train a few different skills, pupper!
- They have a strong nose mutation that allows them to sense nearby items up to 7 tiles away.
- Fangs 1 mutation.
- Only get +2 MR/level compared to the usual +3.
- Gain one point of Str/Int/Dex randomly per 5 levels (in addition to the usual stat choice every 3 levels)
- Normal XP/HP/MP values.
- The design of this species is not yet finalized, and it could get major changes or be disabled for the 0.20 release while we work out the details.
- Changes to Wu Jian:
- Whirlwind no longer has a chance to slow the monsters it affects. It’s no longer favorable to use this over your normal melee on nearly every monster.
- Wall Jump can only be used when it would hit a monster adjacent to the landing site. Sorry, no more weird endless tunnel jumping; this isn’t (yet) a Megaman game!
- Heaven On Earth has been renamed to Heavenly Storm to give a bit more clarity to what the ability does.
- The god itself is going through some design overhaul, and may be disabled for the 0.20 release or otherwise get some big subsequent changes. Rest assured that we’re interested in getting some of Wu’s core concepts to work!
- Tomb now uses one-way staircases, like escape hatches, but with pre-determined destinations. You’ll land at the familiar destinations in the various levels of Tomb, but with no immediate return staircase. Should you need to escape, you’ll have to find another one-way stair somewhere nearby. See this commit for some further details. The age of ><><>< in the Tomb of Ancients has come to an end, mortal!
- Ijyb and Maurice now always have wands, instead of just having a higher chance of getting one. Ijyb now starts placement from D:3 instead of D:2. Watch out for those wands of acid, they hurt!
- Giant Spiked Club base delay lowered from 1.9 to 1.8, allowing them to reach min delay at skill 22 instead of skill 24.
- Transporters are a new dungeon feature that act like stairs sending you somewhere else on the current level, taking adjacent followers and foes along with you. Currently a few new vaults and some existing ones like the Golubria WizLab use this feature, but look out for more transporter shenanigans to come!
- New Vaults:
- An epic expansion of the_grid, a series of vaults that arrange a randomly chosen group of subvaults (taken from a varied and dangerous set) into a giant geometric arrangement, including one that can encompass an entire Depths level!
- Also new is an elven bladeworks, a witch-hunting guild (watch out for anti-magic!), an orcish arena of gladiators, and an overgrown Lair chateau, among others.
- For the new transporter feature, a set of loot vaults that show you the awaiting prizes should you transport in and survive the monster onslaught on the other side. Also a Zot-themed Abyssal rune vault that has you transport into a mini hall of Zot:5, but where run through the vault in reverse to get to the Abyssal rune and reach the exit.
- Captain’s Cutlass no longer chops off hydra heads.
- Manuals are now always pre-identified. No sense delaying that wonderful feeling when your Dg finds a manual in a loot pile only to discover that it’s for Invocations.
- Alligators move even faster when using their Sprint ability. Australians, please don’t try to wrestle these! Also applies to Maurice and Gastronok.
- Secret moon lore updated.
- Stash Searches now by default hide distant items that are duplicate matches of weapons, armor, and ammo.
- An Equip Bar can enabled (currently for console only) via the equip_bar RC option, which displays a row of the console glyphs of your currently equipped items in place of the new noise bar. If you’ve already got a good sense of what makes loud noise AND you like to show off your artifact bling, this may be the option for you!
- Unrand renames: The Ring of Shaolin is now the Ring of Phasing, and the bow of Krishna “Shargna” is now the longbow “Zephyr”. No changes to the unrands’ properties, just to the names. The old names were direct references to a real-world place and to a religious figure, respectively, something we’d like to avoid. And no, Blork the Orc and Killer Klowns don’t count!
Thanks for reading, and as Dithmenos likes to say, “Spread the eternal night!”
Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 22:32
There’s a new bugfix release of the stable version of DCSS. Source packages and binaries for Windows, OS X, and Linux are all available. We recommend all 0.19 users upgrade to this version. Major bugfixes:
- Fix save compatibility when loading games from version 0.18.
- Macros now work in map mode in Tiles.
- Autopickup is now smarter about whether items are permanently or temporarily useless.
- 22 other bug-fixes and cleanups.
Users upgrading their saves from a version 0.18 game should be able to do so properly.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget.
-Eagles, “Hotel California”. 1976.
Tuesday, January 31st, 2017 06:38
There’s a new bugfix release of the stable version of DCSS. Source packages and binaries for Windows, OS X, and Linux are all available. We recommend all 0.19 users upgrade to this version. There are two major bugfixes:
- Fix mouse lag experienced by trackpad users on Mac OS X systems.
- Fix to allow the Temple entrance to place as part of a vault instead of always by itself.
This release fixes heavy lag reported by Mac OS X trackpad users in version 0.19.3. If you continue to experience any mouse-related woes, please file a bug report on Mantis.
The release also contains an important fix to Temple vault placement. Since 0.19, Temple entrances had been placing only as ordinary stairs and never as part of a vault. I know you’ve been missing that special feeling you get when those Oklob saplings kill you before you ever see the altars. What are you waiting for, download right away!
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget.
-Eagles, “Hotel California”. 1976.
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 06:43
There’s a new bugfix release of the stable version of DCSS. Source packages and binaries for Windows and Linux are available now, with OS X binaries coming soon. We recommend all 0.19 users upgrade to this version. There are four major bugfixes, along with 25 other bugfixes and cleanups:
- Fix a long-standing Tiles mouse lag bug. Now there is no lag when updating cursor information upon mouse movement to a new tile.
- Work around an AMD driver bug where the game crashes when loading 512×512 images.
- Demon tridents are two-handed for small races, as intended.
- Fix to allow helmets as armour acquirement gifts.
- Fix to prevent Infestation death scarabs becoming hostile when killing their host in an explosion.
Note that there was no 0.19.2 bugfix release. We tagged that release, but the AMD driver issue was reported and fixed shortly afterwards, so we made 0.19.3 to include that crash fix for the affected users.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget.
-Eagles, “Hotel California”. 1976.
Update: OS X zips for 0.19.3 are now on the download page.
Thursday, November 24th, 2016 08:55
There’s a new bugfix release of the stable version of DCSS. Source packages and binaries for Windows, OS X, and Linux are all available now. We recommend all 0.19 users upgrade to this version. There are two major bugfixes, along with numerous smaller bugfixes and cleanups:
- Demon tridents are two-handed for small races, as intended.
- Allow Dith shadow to attack diagonally and to reach.
Keep dancing right on through those memories!
Update: Windows builds on the download page are now 32-bit so we can support all the Windows devices in the wild. 64-bit builds may return in the future if we get a better setup to build and distribute them, but the 32-bit ones will run fine on both architectures.
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2016 11:38
Wednesday, September 28th, 2016 09:32
The player PurpleRed has set a new overall high score with an amazing Deep Elf Conjurer of Vehumet won with 15 runes in a mere 19,065 turns!
The previous record, a Deep Dwarf Warper of Makhleb won by the legendary Sapher in version 0.17-a, was the culmination of a resurgence of heavy melee characters that has dominated high scoring games for many versions using gods like Makhleb, Cheibriados, and The Shining One together with species good at melee. Although the best “pure magic” Deep Elf won in recent version before PurpleRed returned to speedrunning was still quite fast at 28,416 turns, this is today only good enough for 47th place in the rankings.
Since version 0.17, the removal of controlled teleport and evokable teleport from the ring of teleportation were seen as limitations that might prevent a new score world record from ever being achieved. However not long after winning a 15-rune DECj in an impressive 26,112 turns, PurpleRed ascended this new high scoring game for an incredible 75,249,848 points! Congrats!
Friday, May 6th, 2016 03:53
Thanks to ZiBuDo, in time for the 0.18 tournament we have a new WebTiles/console server running in Montreal, Canada, with the official acronym CJR:
Yes, everything you see on that page was done intentionally, and we sincerely beg you not to encourage ZiBuDo to add more memes…
This server supports 0.17, 0.18, and trunk for both WebTiles and console over SSH with hourly automatic trunk updates. CJR also has an IRC bot, Jorgrell, available in ##crawl to announce milestones and list versions. The server has been added to the CAO scoring pages, and your games played there should show up on your score page soon. ZiBuDo has additionally made a leader board tracking various records for games played on CJR.
Thanks to the efforts of neil, CAO is now updated for 0.18 and will be ready for the 0.18 tournament! We were previously unsure if we’d be able to get the server updated in time, but now your v0.18 games played and clan memberships defined on CAO will indeed count for this tournament.
At this time, CWZ, the South Korean server, is the only server we’ve been unable to get updated with 0.18 for the tournament. If anyone can reach the admin of this server, who plays under the account Hong, please do so. Developers in the ##crawl-dev channel can help answer questions about updating the server.
CWZ was updated shortly before the tournament started.
Thursday, December 10th, 2015 15:59
There’s a new bugfix release of the stable version of DCSS. Source packages and binaries for Windows and Linux are available now, and OS X binaries will be uploaded as soon as they’re available. We recommend all 0.17 users upgrade to this version. Here’s a list of changes from the changelog:
- Fix insect monsters never berserking. This bug prevented queen bees from berserking their hive bees and moths of wrath berserking insects in Spider.
- Prevent the Gell’s Gravitas spell from moving monsters into deep water or lava.
- Fix resting to stop properly when MP don’t regenerate.
- Properly warn when a beam might poison a monster while worshiping the Shining One.
- Put hunter’s swords in slot ‘a’ or ‘b’ at game start to allow easier switching between ranged and melee weapons.
- Put Earth Elementalists’ starting stones on the ‘b’ slot.
- Update the manual for 0.17.
- Many other bug fixes for game crashes, to vaults, and to in-game text.
Keep on squaring those circles!
Tuesday, November 24th, 2015 12:45
The 0.17 tournament is over. For 16 days, players could compete for tournament points and banners by playing 0.17 games on the public servers.
The winning player was cosmonaut, with 5787 points. cosmonaut won 22 games during the tournament, including a 5-game streak, and won 15 tier-three banners. In second place was johnnyzero, with 5644 points and 17 wins, including the longest streak for 10 games. In third place was iafm, with 5432 points and 27 wins, the most wins of any player, and 16 tier-three banners. EnterQ won the most tier-three banners of the tournament, getting 20 of 22 possible. The only unwon banner was Ruthless Efficiency III.
The fastest win by turncount was achieved by 4thArraOfDagon (19225 turns with a VSMo of Cheibriados). This game was also the highest scoring win of the tournament at 74M points, and incredibly is the second-highest-scoring game among all online games ever played! Demise had the fastest realtime win at 57m 37s with a HOBe, and johnnyzero had the lowest level win with an XL 19 FeAE of Dithmenos. The first victory of the tournament was claimed by CcS, playing a MiMo of Cheibriados, just 86 minutes after tournament start, followed by lessens a mere 32 seconds later, playing a MiBe.
The clan competition was won by tasonir’s clan (17151 points), followed by Vidiiot’s clan (16340 points), and MorganLeah’s clan (14161 points). There were 167 clans in all with points scored in the tournament.
Here are some basic statistics on the players in this tournament compared with the 0.16 tournament (in parentheses):
- Players: 2836 (2773)
- Total player time: 40866 hrs (43008 hrs)
- Avg player time: 14.4 hrs (15.5 hrs)
- Proportion of players using webtiles: 89.8% (88.9%)
A graph made by johnstein shows how various statistics progressed over the course of the tournament. See here for additional comparison graphs. On behalf of the Dev Team, many thanks to all the server admins, outside contributors, bug reporters, and to the many DCSS players, new and centuryplayer alike, who made the 0.17 release and tournament possible!
Friday, November 6th, 2015 15:55
We’re proud to announce the release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.17: “Squaring the Circle”! 0.17 features a square line of sight, shorter Lair rune branches, new rune vaults for many branches, and many, many additions and improvements to the game.
Download DCSS 0.17 here, or play it online on one of many servers across the world! The source and Windows packages are available now, and our deep build annihilator elves are hard at work on the OS X binaries. We’ll update the website as soon as those files are ready!
Update: The linux debian 0.17 packages are now in the repository!
Update 2: The OS X packages are now on the download page. Many thanks to geekosaur for making these and troubleshooting signing issues! If you have problems running this on OS X, please tell us in ##crawl-dev or file a bug report on Mantis.
The release tournament begins today, Nov 6 2015, at 20:00 UTC, with all online 0.17 games counting towards your score. See the tournament website for more details, including how to set up or join a clan.
For a list of other major changes, see the changelog. Many thanks to all those who have contributed to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. We hope you enjoy playing 0.17!
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015 10:58
We have now have the official page for the 0.17 Tournament online! Bookmark that URL, since it will eventually have a nice leader-board with links to all tournament results for players, clans, and banners, as well as a table of ongoing tournament games. The page currently shows the 0.17 tournament rules, included the rule changes from the 0.16 tournament.
This biggest change is that Beogh’s Saint banner has been reworked and is now called Heretic. This banner rewards players for abandoning and mollifying one, three, or nine gods, excluding Beogh, Ely, Ru, TSO, and Zin. There’s no longer a clan-based banner, but clans are still tracked with clan points awarded in all the various ways. Gone are the days when Saint I was either a trivial banner or perhaps the most difficult one if you were in a high scoring clan! Hopefully enduring epic god wrath will also make for some memorable games. Lugonu’s Heretic banner has been renamed to Spiteful, which has the same rules but no longer rewards tournament points for the tier 3 banner.
The other changes:
- Nemelex’ Choice bonus points are now awarded to the first eight winning players instead of the first seven.
- Lord of Darkness III allows you to enter Temple. No more altar grinding required!
- Angel of Justice III requires that you kill the Serpent of Hell at least once.
- No more clan points from winning with the highest AC+EV. Cigotuvi’s Embrace certainly spelled the end of that one…
Remember, the tournament will take place from 20:00 UTC Friday 6th November to 20:00 UTC Sunday 22nd November. If you’re participating in a clan, don’t forget to edit your RC file per the instructions. Clan memberships can be changed during the tournament (with changes detected automatically) until 19:00 UTC Saturday 14 November, after which time clans are effectively frozen.
Note that for testing purposes, the tournament page is currently tracking all games played in November. Don’t worry about any tournament results you see listed now, since the database and pages will be reset before the start of the actual tournament. Finally, the tournament page may get a visual overhaul thanks to work being done by chequers, the CPO admin who also helped overhaul the crawl.develz.org homepage. If we get these changes incorporated in time for this tournament, you’ll see them automatically when you visit the tournament page.
Best of luck to all participants!
Sunday, November 1st, 2015 01:20
Hello fearless yet terribly naive dungeon adventurers! Last time I said we’d update more frequently than once every two months, yet here we are again nearly two months later. It’s because of all the torpor snails, they’re everywhere! In addition to the usual round of updates, we want to announce the date of the upcoming 0.17 release and tournament.
Break out your best clan name puns, because the 0.17 Tournament will take place from 20:00 UTC Friday 6th November to 20:00 UTC Sunday 22nd November. We’ll make a follow-up post in a few days with the tournament home page when we have that ready for you. The release itself will happen on or before the start of tournament. If 0.17 is available on your server, please play that version to help us track down bugs before the release!
- Gozag’s Call Merchant now places all shops at the player’s location. Customer service is our motto!
- Orange crystal statues now have Shadow Creatures and both they and obsidian statues cast their spells much faster. Don’t be surprised to find a lot of brainless MiFi stumbling around the next time you visit the dungeon.
- Derived undead now have damage that’s 80% of their monster’s base damage instead of losing a fixed amount.
- The demonic guardian from the demonspawn mutation now has Fedhas-style protection from ranged attacks. Could this spell the end of complaints about demonic guardian? Tune in next time to find out!
- The player blink mutation now only has one level and increases its success rate more rapidly as you gain levels.
- Some species now have lower Throwing skill aptitudes (you’re welcome):
- Centaur, Halfling, and Kobold go from +3 to +1.
- Ogre, Spriggan, Tengu, High Elf, and Deep Elf go from +1 to 0
- Hill Orc and Gargoyle go from 0 to -1.
- New Lair branch end vaults:
- A Shoals winter wonderland featuring frosty the kraken simulacrum.
- A Shoals garden with plants that the satyrs lovingly tend to when they’re not shooting you to death.
- A scaly new Snake ending, brought to you by the letter V, for Vashnia.
- A Spider ending in one of three delicious spider flavors, brought to you by the letter A, for Arachne.
- A Swamp ending with three possible rune locations for hydra to devour delicious players. Brought to you by the letter L, for Lerny.
- Four new baileys:
- A flooded polearm bailey that throws you right into the middle of things.
- A gnoll polearm bailey with a chance to meet the incredibly glamorous and popular crystal plate armour gnoll sergeant.
- An axe bailey castle that Rodney himself would recognize. Don’t worry, mortals, you don’t need the passtune to enter.
- An axe bailey with an orc warlord boss you’ll only see if you survive the mobs outside its chamber…
- Giant-themed zig levels now have juggernauts, and Earth-themed zig levels now have entropy weavers, octopode crushers, juggernauts, and caustic shrikes! Remember, you can always do Just One More Zig Level!
- Controlled Blink is now level 8. They say that with -cTele gone controlled blinks are even stronger these days…
- Gell’s Gravitas has been reworked to allow targeting empty squares and to have stronger power initially, scaling more slowly to max power. Hopefully these changes make the spell more usable.
- New unrand artefacts:
- The Robe of Vines: a +5 robe with massive regeneration but which renders the wearer unable to heal by external means.
- Kryia’s mail coat +7 scale mail which amplifies the effect of healing items (and grants rC+ to boot).
- Hammers are gone. Head over to CYC to reminisce about the good times we used to have with hammers…also go there if you just want to get maced.
- Fix a long-standing bug related to player messages that caused lag in WebTiles games over time. Hopefully refreshing WebTiles due to lag will be a thing of the past!
- The skill menu now shows the relative XP cost of gaining skill levels.
- A fancy new rune menu that shows the runes you have and all the ones you’ll never ever be good enough to get.
- An ability_slot rc option that lets you map abilities to specific letters.
Check out the home page for follow-up posts about the tournament pages and release. After all, I know many secrets…
Sunday, September 6th, 2015 13:10
Welcome dungeon crawlers one and all! It’s been over two months since our last update. Things have been a bit slower around the Dungeon as of late, but in such a long time we’ve managed to accrue quite a list of notable changes:
- Branch bribing works on any intelligent monster in the branch, based on HD and a branch factor.
- Branch allies are permanent, but won’t leave their home branch.
- You can bribe the Dungeon, Depths, Tomb, Crypt, and Pan now! Greed is good.
- Reskilling ability now costs less piety and works faster, and can reduce skill levels to 0.
- The Scrying ability is granted at 1* piety, the passive skill boost at 2*, and SInv at 3*.
- Xom makes fewer chaos clouds. You’re welcome.
- Ru’s Sacrifice Eye gives only one amulet’s worth of inaccuracy penalty.
- All altar-based abilities have been moved to the ability menu, and are hence immediately usable when granted: Zin’s Donate Gold and Cure All Mutations, Kiku’s Bless Weapon and Gift Necronomicon, Lugonu’s Bless Weapon, and The Shining One’s Bless Weapon.
- New monster: Juggernauts, terrifying giants that lurk in Depths. They move quickly and deliver fantastically punishing blows, but must rest after each attack. Don’t get jugged!
- Death cobs now have a hunger draining attack and deal significant damage. Don’t get cobbed!
- Hunger draining attacks on Hungry Ghosts and Death Cobs apply whenever the attack hits, not only if damage is done.
- Polyphemus can literally (1st definition) throw his Yaks at the player. We’re just as amazed as you are.
- Salamander genus monsters now all move normal speed and are fast in lava. Because that’s how it is in nature.
- Demonspawn Warmongers no longer cast Grand Avatar and can sometimes generate with a shield.
- Salamander Stormcallers’ Firestorm spell does more damage.
- Monsters have lost some relatively ineffective spells like Animate Dead, Simulacrum, and Hellwings no longer have Teleport Other.
- Polar bears, Black Bears, and your common backyard Kraken no longer try to flee at low HP.
- Wolves and Wargs have been taking howling classes and can now howl competently.
- Wandering Mushrooms no longer spawn as hostile monsters, but you can still make them through Fedhas.
- Lots of new tiles for things like Giants, Smoke demons, Crocodiles, Quokkas, and terrible 3-headed serpents that lurk in the very Hells beneath.
- Player and Dungeon (for they are one…)
- Corrosion applies -4 to both AC and Slaying instead of -5 and -3 respectively.
- Most random feature mimics are gone, save for those mimicing shops and portals.
- Darkness is now level 5 instead of level 6! That’s an entire spell level of terrific savings!
- Casting Haunt no longer causes Sickness. We were….sick of it.
- Casting Malign Gateway no longer drains Int. We hope….you get the hInt.
- The Corpse Rot spell rots all corpses in LOS, not just those 5 tiles away.
- Ozocubu’s Armor and Stoneskin now no longer give respective bonuses to Ice Form and Statue Form.
- The Singularity spell is no more. Don’t worry about the Moon Troll, he’s been practicing his Caustic Bolt.
- The Sack of Spiders has a better spider distribution that’s been certified by spider actuaries. It makes more appropriate spiders at the low and high ends of evocations and fewer ally-nuking orb spiders.
- The Crown of Eternal Torment is gone. May discussions as to whether it was OP or Meme torment us no more…
- The Ephemeral Infusion effect is no more. The Elixir card now directly heals allies, and Demonspawn Bloodsaints don’t need it, since they no longer lose HP when casting Legendary Destruction.
- High-level spellbooks no longer restrict learning or identification based on spell skills.
- The contamination over time from Maxwell’s Cage has been reduced by 20%.
We’ll try to have at least monthly updates from now on. Don’t forget to let it end in Hellfire!
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 10:52
There’s a new bugfix release of the stable version of DCSS. Source packages and binaries for Windows and Linux are available now; OS X and Android binaries will be uploaded as soon as they’re available. This release contains an important fix for Tiles users where mouse clicks could sometimes act as if Ctrl or Alt modifiers were active even when these keys weren’t pressed. A number of other bugs have been fixed that have minor gameplay effects; see the 0.16.2 entries in the changelog for details.
Update: OS X binaries are now available on the download page.
Update 2: Thanks for people pointing out the problems with the debian packages. They were built relative to Ubuntu Utopic (14.10) instead of Ubuntu Trusty (14.04). They’ve been rebuilt relative to Trusty and reuploaded to the repository. If you apt-get update and reattempt install, things should work. Next release we’ll be building relative to the recently updated debian stable, which will simplify things.
Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 10:09
Hey crawl universe, here’s a short list of updates for this week:
- New WizLab: Lehudib’s Moon Base, where players can fight the legendary Moon Troll and obtain moon troll leather armour and other superb moon loot. That’s right, it all happens on the Moon!
- The less popular Tukima’s Studio and Eringya’s Formal Garden WizLabs are gone.
- The Rot status is gone; now rot is applied immediately.
- Being stat-drained while at 0 in a stat no longer directly damages the player.
- Undead stats: Mummies get one of Str, Int, or Dex every 5 levels, and Vampires get either Int or Dex every 5 levels. That’s right, a Mu buff!
- Player headbutt aux attack no longer applies a small stun (that’s right, a Mi nerf!), and the hooves aux kick no longer bypasses AC.
- Teleportitis only triggers when it would land the player in LOS of an enemy. It triggers slightly more often as a result, but never in Labs or the Abyss.
- Worms are less vulnerable to some forms of kiting, having more regen in exchange for less max hp.
- Bog bodies can no longer rot corpses.
- Liches of all shapes and sizes can no longer have the Shadow Creatures spell. That’s right, a Lich nerf!
- Goliath beetles don’t generate randomly, now only appearing in dungeon vaults.
- The Freeze spell no longer stuns enemies. That’s right, an IE nerf!
- Curare needles no longer take your (or monster’s) breath away.
- Cheibriados’ slouch damage is now based on monster move speed. That’s right, a Chei buff!
- Ashenzari now grants the Scrying ability at a mere 2* piety.
Now Go! Bring the Dev Team Glory in Combat!
Tuesday, March 24th, 2015 00:03
We’ve issued a new stable version of DCSS that contains an important fix for a bug affecting version 0.16.0 where all melee damage done by the player is approximately doubled. This bug only affects player melee, not ranged or spells, and doesn’t affect monster damage at all. It has a dramatic effect on game balance, so it’s strongly recommended that all 0.16.0 users upgrade. All operating systems have 0.16.1 binaries available on the download page above.
When this bug was discovered, the development team decided (after some deliberation) that it’d be better to fix it immediately, since otherwise many would choose to stop playing online until it was fixed. Nearly all online games played during the 0.16 tournament were affected up until the fix, namely any game played from version 0.16.0 to version 0.16.0-17-g811c1d7. The fix in version 0.16.0-18-g484a79e was made on Sun, 22 Mar 14:24 UTC, however server updates took some time, and not every server was able to be updated at the same time.
For any completed game, the morgue file shows the exact crawl version played at the top of the file (these morgues are linked to on the player tournament pages). Note that this is only the version when the game ended, and some games were played in-part with the affected versions but transferred to a fixed later version. This bug likewise affected online trunk games played from versions 0.17-a0-22-ge0bdd66 to 0.17-a0-123-gf2c12c4. There’s no plan to change anything relative to the tournament (including scoring) now that the bug is fixed.
In addition to this bugfix, here are the other changes:
- Fix a bug in sprint where controlled blink was blocked as if from the stasis effect.
- Artefacts with the Contam property are no longer marked as chaotic and hence hated by Zin, since Zin wouldn’t give penance for using e.g. weapons with this property anyhow. There’s now a warning under Zin when Contam items are removed, since this does incur penance.
- Monsters no longer avoid walking on shadow traps.
- Fix the build for the Android port of DCSS.
- For the debian version, build against less recent dependencies to support a wider range of OS.
- Other minor bugfixes.
NOTE: the developer who introduced this bug has gone AWOL, and we’re trying to track him down. If you see this person, please report him to your nearest centuryplayer. Do not approach him, as he is bugged and extremely winscumming.