Tuesday, December 16th, 2014 04:47
Hi, crawlers! It’s been a quiet week for changes:
- Monster spells can now be examined through the xv screen, in the same way as with books & rods (that is, by hitting a letter corresponding to the spell). At present, this lets you see the description and range of their spells.
- Cigotuvi’s Embrace has been reworked; the rate at which corpses fall off is now based purely on the number currently stacked on the player, and spellpower instead increases the amount of AC+SH per corpse, from a base of 0.5 AC+SH per corpse to a cap of 1.5 AC+SH at the new max of 100 power. Skeletons now count the same as other corpses for Cigotuvi’s purposes.
- Gell’s Gravitas now has a small chance of confusing creatures pulled by it, based on spellpower and on victims’ MR.
- A new “item_slot” rcfile has been added, to allow you to specify which letter correspond to which items by default. Works like the spell_slot option.
- Quite a lot of tiles have been tweaked; notably the Singularity & Sublimation of Blood spell icons, but also many many monsters, which now incorporate advanced artistic techniques such as ‘perspective’. Check out hippogrives!
- Xom’s mood meter has been added to webtiles.
- Shard shrike packs can no longer spawn as hell effects in Cocytus; in general, the Cocytus hell effect spawn list has been reworked.
- Lava snakes can spit again. (They accidentally lost the ability to spit several months ago.)
- Chaos Champions can no longer give the player Resistance for 4000 turns.
- Gyre & Gimble can now strike up to 16 times in a single attack. (With the help of the Blade card.)
- Artefacts may now again be named “of the Doge”.
Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 06:49
Hi, crawlers! Some fun new toys to play with this week:
- New artefact: Gyre and Gimble, two quickblades linked by a chain. It takes two hands to wield, but strikes twice for every attack. Dual-wielding is finally here………
- New spell: Gell’s Gravitas, L6 Hexes/Translocations. Targets a creature & hurls all other nearby creatures toward it, causing damage to whichever ones collide. “Basically a one-turn Singularity”.
- The ‘blurry vision’ mutation no longer causes scroll-reading to occasionally fail. Instead, it adds a delay before the player finishes reading the scroll (and gains the benefits): one turn per level of the mutation.
- All non-shortblade weapons now stab equally well (or poorly), excepting felid claws, which now stab as well as shortblades. Clubs no longer have a chance of confusing ‘stabbed’ enemies. Ogre Enchanters and Assassins no longer start with clubs.
- Armour penalties to dodging have been smoothed; there is no longer a breakpoint at which Dodging goes from giving zero EV to the normal rate. Instead, armour decreases the rate at which Dodging gives you EV. Sample numbers are here.
- The Book of Wizardry has been removed; its spells have been redistributed.
- Monsters created by Phantom Mirrors are now only two-thirds as strong as the original.
- Orange rats have been renamed to hell rats, and are now demonic. They also glow in the dark.
- The arbalest “Hellfire” has had its hellfire-explosion damage roughly doubled.
- When active, Gozag’s gold now sparkles.
- It is once again possible for bardings of flying to generate, after they were accidentally removed earlier this year.
- Orc wizards can no longer confuse the player for 30+ turns.
- The lords of Pandemonium can now buzz and croak.
- Players in hell can no longer hear gut-wrenching screams while Silenced.
- Goblins no longer continue their peaceful slumber after being hurled through the air.
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2014 04:05
Hi, crawlers! Last week was a little quieter, possibly because of some of our US devs visiting friends and family for the holiday weekend, rather than toiling away in the Crawl mines as they know they should. Still, a few changes to report:
- Potions of confusion have been befuddled out of existence. In their place sit Potions of Ambrosia, which grant considerable health & magic regeneration for a short period, along with confusion. If the confusion is prevented (by e.g. clarity) or cured, the regeneration immediately ends.
- Liches (and their ancient & antique friends) now have a much wider variety of spells available, rather than being restricted to a handful of spellbooks.
- Singularity is now considerably stronger at low spellpower, and less powerful at very long range.
- Makhleb now gives somewhat more piety for kills, and no longer accepts corpse sacrifice.
- Xom now has a ‘mood meter’, looking suspiciously like the piety meter for other, more boring gods. (And yet somehow different…)
- Gozag’s “shining gold” visual effect is now only present on the tile of the gold itself, rather than on surrounding tiles. In console, it’s now a different colour from normal gold.
- Gozag’s “duplication” ability can now duplicate stacks of items.
- A wide variety of quotes have been added, mainly for spells.
- Pandemonium lords now come in a riotous variety of colour; they have a number of new tiles, and their text descriptions now match up with the tiles.
- The Plane Papyrus has been renamed to the Akashic Record.
- Various other tile tweaks; all potion tiles have been replaced, goblins & pals were reworked, the Seraph is now considerably taller, and wretched stars now have a worrying glow about them, among other changes.
- Irradiate now offers a warning before harming allies.
- The game no longer crashes whenever the player takes cloud damage.
- Delayed Fireball is now back to being two schools, after a brief, yet torrid romance with the mysterious “Utility” school.
- It is no longer possible to hit monsters so hard that their souls are completely obliterated.
- Messaging has been improved for attempting to close doors on Orbs of Destruction.
- Orb spiders no longer have poisonous bites.
- Trees can no longer enter malign portals.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 06:05
Hi, crawlers! This week has been simply magical, by which I mean, full of spells. New spells. Two new spells. And a bunch of other changes:
- New spells:
- Cigotuvi’s Embrace, a L5 Necromancy spell that turns corpses into temporary AC & SH. The corpses slowly slough off over time & (sometimes) when the player is hit or blocks an attack. Found in the Book of Unlife and (sometimes) in Kikubaaqudgha’s second gift.
- Singularity, a L9 Translocations spell that summons an all-devouring interdimensional maw. Nearby enemies are sucked inward & damaged, moreso the closer they get. Found in the Plane Papyrus, a high-level Translocations book containing Dispersal, Controlled Blink, Malign Gateway, Disjunction, and of course Singularity. (Various other books have been adjusted slightly.)
- Force Lance is now L4 Conjurations/Translocations, slightly more accurate, and better at knocking back enemies. Flying enemies are especially vulnerable.
- Dispersal now affects a wider area, and has a chance of confusing affected creatures.
- Twisted Resurrection has been removed.
- New enemies:
- Robin of the Strong Arm, a hobgoblin unique appearing in the very early Dungeon. She’s stronger than your average hobgoblin, and accompanied by her own personal army of hobgoblins & goblins, the latter of which she will happily hurl at her enemies. Duck!
- Shard Shrikes, batty monsters that appear in Cocytus. They spit Throw Icicle, resist and attack with cold, and flock in small bands. They have 2 AC, but are only literally made of glass in certain non-canonical fanfictions.
- Seraphim are now considerably more dangerous: damage doubled, speed increased by 50%, and a new spellset, including Hunting Cry, Summon Holies, Injury Bond and Cleansing Flame.
- Seraphim now occasionally appear on the orb run.
- Ghost crabs have scuttled sideways all the way from Crypt to Swamp.
- Insubstantial wisps are now slightly more fragile & less numerous, but have Static Discharge.
- Hellwings now have Cigotuvi’s Embrace, and spawn with it active.
- If the player clears a ziggurat and enters another, they may occasionally find themselves in the center of the floor rather than the edge. The odds of this increase with depth and number of ziggurats cleared.
- Zin’s Recite is no longer usable if no enemies with low enough HD are visible. Recite invulnerability is now mentioned in monster descriptions.
- Gozag will no longer offer the player shops that are entirely useless for their race.
- Ctrl-direction now always attacks, rather than sometimes opening or closing doors, or removing traps.
- In Zot Defense, the player can now place traps on top of other traps.
- Butchering and bottling blood now only takes a single turn.
- Powered by Death now works with all corpses.
- The Wild Magic card now afflicts enemies with miscast effects, rather than the player, and restores the player’s MP for each enemy affected. It’s moved from the Deck of Punishment (back to) the Deck of Wonders.
- When in shadow form, the player can no longer be petrified.
- Monsters can no longer block their own attacks.
- Butterfly colours have been disambiguated.
- The legendary weapons “Glorpy”, “Loopy”, and “Plog” may now appear.
- Gozag’s shopkeepers have had their genders randomized.
- Insects are no longer referred to as ‘she’.
- Electric golems can no longer breathe.
- Monsters no longer believe that rN+ armour allows them to see invisible.
- Angels no longer have demonic powers.
- Bats can now memorize spells.
Tuesday, November 18th, 2014 08:04
Hi, crawlers! Lots of fun changes this week:
- Enemy-held weapons now have their brands ID’d on sight.
- The Death Knight background has been removed.
- New item: the Iron Rod, which fires a spray of shrapnel in a wide arc. Extremely effective against agile, low-AC enemies, but ineffective against armoured enemies or at a distance.
- Nemelex & deck changes:
- New cards:
- Elements, which summons three beasts of the four elements.
- Rangers, which summons two or three ranged-missile users.
- Placid Magic, which removes all status effects and applies heavy antimagic to all creatures in sight, including the user. (Dazing enemy spellcasters as if they’d been hit with antimagic weapons repeatedly.
- Revamped destruction cards:
- Storm has replaced rain and swiftness with summoning air elementals, an elemental wellspring, or thunder clouds alongside a wind blast.
- Pain has lost Torment; it can now instead summon flay your foes alive.
- Venom has lost Sting for earlier Venom Bolts and Poison Arrows, but at low power will briefly make the user vulnerable to poison.
- Degeneration now applies a temporary malmutated effect to targets, along with polymorphing them to creatures with lower HD. Undead are dazed.
- Vitriol now can provide Corrosive Bolts at higher power.
- Orb bursts will now attempt to home on monsters they might reasonably hit.
- Revamped battle cards:
- Potion has strictly-negative effects taken out, and will also apply its effects to allies if possible.
- Blade now solely gives a cleaving status. It doesn’t stack with the reaching of polearms or the original cleaving of axes, but otherwise applies to all forms of armed & unarmed combat.
- Helm can apply Stoneskin or Shroud of Golubria effects to allies at high power.
- Elixir gives a small amount of temporary vitality to your allies, alongside its restorative effects to the user.
- Shadow gives the darkness status (reduced LOS) instead of invisibility.
- Dowsing is now significantly stronger in duration and range.
- Revamped summoning cards:
- Pentagram now summons a more constrained set of demons (stronger at lower power and weaker at high power), and an additional accompanying hell hound, rakshasa, or pandemonium lord.
- Dance has replaced its short swords with quarterstaves and its dire flails with executioner’s axes. It also has a chance of summoning a randart.
- Foxfire has lost butterflies and gained ravens.
- Repulsiveness can now summon both an ugly thing and a very ugly thing.
- Revamped emergency cards:
- Cloud surrounds all hostile monsters with varying types of clouds, instead of randomly scattering clouds in all valid places in sight.
- Shaft now randomly places shafts under other monsters as well.
- Tomb can now raise rock walls on stone stairs and deep water.
- Velocity will always apply a overall-positive effect (with allies present).
- Banshee now drains victims, in addition to causing fear.
- Solitude can now cause Disjunction at high power.
- Dowsing is no longer in the deck of battle.
- Decks of war have lost their set of destruction cards.
- The Cloud card has moved from decks of destruction to decks of emergency.
- Mercenaries now have slightly better kit, and mercenaries that your god would dislike are not offered.
- In general, cards that your god would dislike will have their dislikeable effects suppressed. (E.g., Venom for TSO.)
- Removed cards: Metamorphosis, Herd, Bones.
- Monster tweaks:
- Draconian & deep elf knights are considerably stronger (and have had their spell sets changed up).
- Caustic shrikes are now a little weaker and a little rarer.
- Revenants are no longer affected by Silence.
- Enemy necromancers can now cast Inner Flame.
- Pan Lord spells have been considerably reworked.
- Anubis Guards now have Control Undead.
- Hell Beast HD, AC, and EV are no longer randomized (and are set to the max value they could have had before). Their speed is still randomized.
- Sphinxes are now sometimes (presumably) androsphinxes.
- Basilisks are now little.
- Green rats are now known as river rats. Beware their swimming prowess…!
- All gods now give piety for kills made by followers (undead and otherwise) in the exact same way as for kills made by the player.
- Vampires now bottle blood with (c), instead of (a)(a). They can now bottle blood from level 1 onward.
- Different types of melee attacks (slashing, piercing, blunt, etc) no longer cause different amount of noise. (Melee noise still varies by damage done.)
- Summon Greater Demon now provides a more() by default when the summoned demon stops being charmed.
- Ziggurats now have a reliable supply of restore abilities potions, and a very small number of beneficial mutations potions.
- The rod of striking has been removed.
- Monsters now return to their original forms in death. (Like poor Prince Ribbit.)
- Runed doors & Lugonu’s Corruption are now noted in level annotations, by default.
- Ctrl-f can now find runed doors.
- Qazlal’s Disaster Area is now stronger at low invocations.
- Felid Monks have been buffed.
- Mimics are now immune to telepathy.
- High-pitched whines have been removed.
- The game will no longer claim that skeletons can be bottled.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 06:13
Hi, crawlers! More behind-the-scenes work this week (we’ve finally switched to C++11!), not so many new features. Still, we’ve got a few:
- Gozag changes:
- Monsters slain while following Gozag will now always drop gold if they would normally have a chance of leaving a corpse.
- Gold from monsters now depends significantly less on their body mass.
- Gozag shop item quality has been considerably improved.
- Food has been moved from a potion petition (porridge/blood) to a guaranteed food shop offer in each use of Call Merchant. Vampires get blood shops; Ghouls get corpse shops. (Butchers?)
- Potion Petition no longer contains negative effects.
- Potions of blood no longer give nutrition to non-vampires.
- Porridge has been removed.
- Okawaru no longer asks for corpse sacrifice; piety from kills has increased, and piety loss over time has decreased.
- Followers of Kikubaaqudgha and Nemelex Xobeh now get their respective special titles when their highest skill is Necromancy or Evocations (respectively).
- Snake now has an extremely cool set of new mosaic floor tiles – check them out!
- In Dis, the Serpent of Hell now has a reaching attack. Other Serpents of Hell have been weakened slightly.
- Players’ movement speed now maps directly to their ghosts’ movement speed, rather than action speed. (E.g., spriggan ghosts or ghosts of characters wearing boots of running now only travel faster, rather than also attacking, spellcasting, etc faster.)
- Condensation Shield is now melted when blocking a fire attack, not when failing to block one.
- The player can now be corroded when blocking an attack with a shield.
- The Transparent Skin mutation now gives -enemy accuracy at all levels, not just at level 3.
- Killer Klowns corpses are now as colourful in death as they were in life.
- Anubis Guards will no longer be slain by the traps of the Tomb they guard. (Likewise, Death Scarabs.)
- Monsters that aren’t Donald can now talk outside Dungeon. (Fixing a bug introduced in January of 2010.)
- Ghosts in console are no longer represented by ‘ ‘.
- Insults have been considerably improved, you decrepit pissant boot-licking toady!
- Cats now like fish.
(And be sure to check out our new servers, if you missed them last week.)
Wednesday, November 5th, 2014 05:03
In the last year, a whole host of new servers have come online for play.
- CKR, in Korea. Webtiles only.
- CBRO, in Georgia, USA. Webtiles and console.
- LLD, in Japan. Webtiles only.
- CXC, in France. Webtiles and console.
- CPO, in Australia. Webtiles and console.
The full server list is available here, as well as instructions for getting started.
Many thanks to the people who have kindly volunteered to host these – and happy crawling!
Tuesday, November 4th, 2014 06:05
Hi, crawlers! Lots of refactoring this week, with the usual mess of bugs; not so many feature changes. That said, here’s the list:
- New monster: Caustic Shrikes, appearing in the nastiest parts of Depths. They come in packs, hit hard, resist fire and cold, and cover you with acid. Also, they’re twice as fast as you. Caution is recommended.
- New item: phantom mirrors, one-use evocables. When used, they create a temporary friendly clone of a targeted monster.
- Irradiate now does somewhat more damage at low power, and somewhat less at high power. The malmutation effect (for enemies) is now guaranteed.
- Rust devils do somewhat less damage, but their corrosion now triggers every time they hit.
- Death scarabs now do considerably more damage.
- Silver statues are now obsidian, instead. (This has no mechanical effects.)
- Rings of slaying are now capped at +6, not +8 or +144.
- Blessed Blades are, tragically, gone.
- Card changes:
- All decks can now be evoked from the inventory.
- Nemelex’s Draw One and Peek at Two have drawn their last breaths.
- The Metamorphosis card has magically transformed into nothing at all; it is no more.
- Dowsing is no longer in the Deck of Battle.
- Mennas no longer mumbles.
- Norris now follows the one true god, GOD_NAMELESS.
- Prince Ribbit no longer turns back into a frog when raised from the dead.
- Monsters casting Freeze now check their targets’ cold resistance, rather than their own.
Tuesday, October 28th, 2014 05:33
Hi, crawlers! It’s set to be a spooky week. Get ready for some fresh changes… and maybe drop by on the 31st, for a slightly different experience :)
- Clouds of draining now work like other sources of draining; they’re reduced by each pip of rN & negated at rN+++, rather than being completely negated by a single pip of rN.
- Clouds of miasma now apply the ‘rot’ status, rather than causing rotting directly & immediately.
- New tomb monsters!
- Ushabti, fearsome funerary statues, which breathe a heady mix of draining clouds & miasma, and rumble resoundingly to alert enemies from a great distance.
- Death scarabs, fast-moving swarming insects. They trail miasma and bite to drain life, speed, and skill, in addition to applying rN-.
- Anubis guards, living foes that have been conditioned immunity to all forms of pain and torment. They breathe draining, dispel undead, confuse, and howl to reveal your location to other anubis guards.
- Chunk changes:
- All chunks of an edibility type (clean, poisonous, mutagenic…) now merge together, into an undifferentiated meaty slurry. (Also, a single inventory stack.)
- Rotten chunks are gone; chunks rot away directly.
- Rotten corpses are likewise gone; corpses rot directly into skeletons.
- Blood no longer coagulates, but rots away directly.
- Ghouls now gain as much healing from clean chunks as they previously gained from rotten chunks. (There was surprisingly little difference.)
- Ghouls now always heal rot when eating chunks. (There was a 75% per-chunk chance, before.)
- Gods that forbade the player from eating certain types of creatures (that is, the good gods and Beogh) now forbid them from butchering those creatures, instead. Penalties are much steeper. (The old ones were surprisingly trivial!)
- Effects that spectacularly disintegrate creatures (Orb of Destruction, Disintegrate, etc) do not create any chunks if eating those creatures is forbidden by your god.
- Spell miscast effects have been hugely revamped. The summary is as long as the rest of this post, just… read the commit. I’m sorry.
- All short blades (except for the Captain’s Cutlass) now do piercing damage; this is relevant to short swords and cutlasses. The latter have been renamed to rapiers, being as they no longer cut.
- Sense invisibility has been simplified; the range limit has been dropped, and monsters with it now have strict immunity to the ‘blind’ effect (from dazzle, zin, ru), rather than being partially affected. A number of other niche special effects (e.g. better detection of sneaking characters) have also been dropped.
- Xtahua’s breath now creates a cloud of flames, like red draconians’.
- Tiamat can now be any colour of draconian, except grey.
- Mnoleg’s tentacles, so briefly with us, have departed for another realm. Mnoleg now has Malign Gateway again, as well as a new set of excitingly branded melee attacks.
- Ashenzari’s clear vision perk now also grants immunity to the negative effects of blurry vision mutations.
- All food other than rations, chunks, and royal jellies now takes one turn to eat.
- Corrosion is now displayed in the weapon bar as a temporary penalty to weapon enchantment; e.g., with one level of corrosion, a +1 mace would show up as -2 (and red).
- Branch tiles have been widely adjusted; in particular, Spider has been recolored significantly.
- A wide variety of missing ‘emergency’ spell flags have been reinstated; liches should be significantly less likely to Banish players on sight.
- Entering a piety-sacrifice trove while wearing an amulet of faith no longer causes the player to be excommunicated.
- Hell beasts no longer slow down when hasted.
Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 03:26
First, fair warning: a very large rewrite of monster spellcasting & special abilities landed in trunk this morning. This lets us do some very cool things (some of which are already in!), but it’s also a large amount of new code, which is going to have a corresponding number of new bugs. For the next day or two, trunk will be a little more unstable than usual.
One thing you can do to help, as always, is to report any bugs you find on the official bugtracker. We get notified whenever a new bug is filed, and while we can’t promise we’ll fix everything immediately, we do our best!
With all that said, let’s get to the week’s new features!
- Mennas can now occasionally be found wandering through Pandemonium. His Confusion ‘recitation’ has been replaced with Mass Confusion.
- The Great Lords of Pandemonium – that is, Cerebov, Lom Lobon, etc – will reappear on later floors of Pandemonium once their rune is stolen, unless and until the player kills them.
- Lom Lobon (and, to a lesser extent, Gloorx Vloq) are much more likely to spend their time casting spells rather than attacking in melee.
- Player ghosts and spellforged servitors can now know more than six spells.
- New items:
- Shadow dragon armour. 10 AC and 15 ER, the same as Storm Dragon Armour, but instead of rElec, shadow dragon armour gives Stlth++++. (The weight of the armour naturally subtracts exactly Stlth+++, leaving players wearing this armour at Stlth+ above what they would have with no armour at all.)
- Quicksilver dragon armour. 10 AC, 6 ER, and MR+; however, it cannot be enchanted with scrolls of enchant armour, and is always +0.
- Scale Mail now only has 10 ER, down from 11.
- Dithmenos now specifically hates fire (owing to a very old divine grudge), rather than ‘fire and illuminating effects’. The glimmering light of a Corona will no longer bring down the dread wrath of Dithmenos upon worshippers.
- A new malmutation: “MP-powered wands”, which increases the power of your wands, but makes them cost MP with every zap.
- New tiles: Irradiate, Hydra Form, Octopode & Felid Blade Hands (if that’s the right word?), triple swords, and more.
- Various skill titles have been rearranged or replaced; notably, Cheibriados’s invocations titles have been completely rewritten from scratch.
- Hydra Form, like most forms, now has a special message when praying at altars.
- The legendary serpent Jörmungandr is now selectable by tiles players. (“tile_player_tile=tile:mons_jormungandr”.) Beware his ophidian wrath!
- Wumpuses can occasionally be heard roaring in the distance.
Sunday, October 19th, 2014 05:05
We bring to you another bugfix release, featuring the following:
- Assorted crash fixes, bug fixes, and display cleanups.
- Always weight formicid weapon acquirement towards two-handed weapons.
- Allow in-game updates to the mon_glyph option to change the glyph.
- Allow the option syntax of mon_glyph = : in order to set the color/glyph of one monster using the base values of another monster.
- In tiles, the tile_player_tile option allows you to specify an arbitrary monster tile to display for your character. The options tile_weapon_offsets and tile_shield_offsets can be used to adjust the player weapon and shield location when using these custom tiles.
- For use with tile_player_tile: the old orb guardian tile, a new monster vampire tile, and weapon/shield offsets for various monster tiles.
Builds for most platforms are now available over at the downloads page.
Tuesday, October 14th, 2014 06:04
Hi crawlers! Fresh trunk changes, coming your way. Look out!
- New spell: Irradiate (L5 Conj/Tmut). Blasts adjacent foes with pure magical radiation, doing heavy damage and frequently malmutating the unfortunate victims. Also, contaminates the caster; 2-4 casts of the spell will put you into yellow (dangerous) contamination. Found in the Book of Transfigurations and the Book of Alchemy.
- Monster malmutations are now temporary, but more significant. Good news for Beoghites…?
- Ice Form has been moved from the Book of Transfigurations to the Book of Ice.
- Ice, Dragon, Tree, and Fungus forms no longer meld octopode rings.
- Instead of starting with a level 1 spell memorized, wanderers get a randart spellbook with a couple of low-level spells in it.
- Wanderers can start with an elemental evoker or a box of beasts in place of a wand.
- Jump attack (and the boots of jumping) are no more.
- Magic immunity no longer confers confusion immunity to monsters.
- Frederick has realized his true potential; he is now a Demigod. Grovel at his boots, pitiful god-havers!
- Player ghosts now have their weapon brands displayed. Never again will you have to hunt down morgue files to check if that AK ghost has a distortion weapon!
- Ghosts of characters that died while paralyzed no longer have 0 EV.
- Corrosion resistance can now appear on randart armour.
- Cloaks of darkness have been renamed to cloaks of invisibility.
- Gold dragon armour has been reduced from 25 to 23 EVP, the same as crystal plate.
- Unarmed combat delay penalties from armour have been substantially de-randomized; they’re now consistently around the average of the old values.
- Monsters with drowning attacks (water nymphs, drowned souls, etc) can no longer kill players who are in Death’s Door. (However, falling into deep water still can.)
- Chain Lightning can no longer arc out of LOS.
- ‘Monster spells’ (e.g. Ghostly Fireball) can now be displayed in the spell finder. (?/S)
- New options for tiles players: tile_weapon_offsets and tile_shield_offsets, allowing players using custom tiles (with tile_player_tile) to precisely adjust the placement of their equipment.
- New tiles for double and triple swords, among other things.
- Players can no longer wear the Amulet of Vitality on their tentacles.
- Major balance change: Abandon God is now available even when the player is silenced.
- Octopode players are now properly informed when their tentacles begin to smoulder.
Wednesday, October 8th, 2014 17:05
Hi crawlers! Ready to devour some fresh trunk changes? (Ha ha! It is a Hydra Form joke.) All joking aside – if you are not ready, please do not read the below. Thanks.
- New spell: Hydra Form. Attacks all adjacent enemies and devours the slain for nutrition and healing. Found in the Book of Transfigurations and a new book, the Fen Folio.
- Monster AC, EV, and MR are now displayed as bars in their description. (When examined, or through ?/M.)
- Wand changes:
- Wand type (not charge count) is auto-ID’d on pickup.
- Zapping wands that don’t have their charge charge count identifies wastes several charges.
- Many weak wands have had their max charge count increased.
- Claymores have been renamed to triple swords; bastard swords have been renamed to double swords. Mega excite.
- Regeneration has been moved from rings to amulets; accordingly, the Ring of Vitality is now the Amulet of Vitality.
- The Hat of the Alchemist is now -2 (rElec rPois rF rC rN MR rMut rCorr). Beware the AC cost…
- Cleaving attacks (from axes and Hydra Form) try to hit all adjacent enemies, rather than being blocked by walls. (How many people reading this actually knew that axes cleaving could be blocked by walls…?)
- Demigod tweaks: They now gain 2x stats every third level, rather than one stat on 2/3 levels. They also now have innate Sustain Abilities.
- Iron devils have been upgraded to rust devils, which do less damage but corrode with their touch.
- Derived undead (zombies, skeletons, &c) now have their full names displayed. (E.g., “orc warrior zombie”.)
- More potion tiles & randart helmet & robe tiles should now show up in-game.
- Formicids can no longer move in treeform by tunneling through rock; nor, similarly, can they shaft themselves while in treeform.
- It is no longer possible to receive the message “you meow your recitation at the orc.”
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 10:53
Hi crawlers! It’s been a while, but now that the tournament is over, the 0.16 season has kicked off with a bang. Here’s what’s new so far in trunk!
- New god: Ru the Awakened, a new temple god, lord of sacrifice and power!
- Periodically offers the player a choice of three permanent sacrifices in exchange for piety. All abilities scale with piety; piety never decreases.
- Leaving Ru incurs no wrath, but leaves all your sacrifices in place (permanently).
- 1*: Enemies may fail to attack you, or even attack each other or themselves instead.
- 2*: Enemies that hurt you may be punished with status effects.
- 3*: Draw Out Power: restore health and mana to yourself, break free of webs and constriction, and cure confusion and petrification. Inflicts minor self-drain and exhaustion.
- 4*: Power Leap: Blinks you three tiles and deals high AOE damage at your destination. Costs exhaustion.
- 5*: Apocalypse: Deals very high damage to all monsters in LOS and inflicts statuses. Costs heavy drain and exhaustion.
- Monster changes:
- Mermaids have been renamed to sirens; sirens have been renamed to merfolk avatars.
- Mimics now cackle and vanish (forever) when discovered. This optimizes their psychological damage potential (PDP).
- The Serpent of Hell is considerably tougher; it now has three heads which can attack and/or breathe separately, and can also summon (dragon-shaped) backup.
- Mnoleg now has a pair of tentacles, acting similarly to eldritch tentacles.
- New monster: elemental wellsprings, appearing in Cocytus. They fire powerful waves of water which produce hostile water elementals – but deplete their own ‘health’ in the process.
- New monster: bennu, the divine phoenix, appearing in Tomb. Attacks with fire, draining, and holy; when killed, explodes into ghostly flame and instantly returns to life (once).
- Curse skulls now move – fast!
- Completing a ziggurat (by exiting from the top floor, zig:27) makes all subsequent zigs harder. Dare you face the terror of the Megazig?
- Ziggurats now only require two runes to enter, instead of three.
- A Hall of Blades area (not branch) is now guaranteed on Elf:2.
- Demigods now gain one stat of their choice on 2/3 levels (2,3,5,6…26,27), instead of gaining one stat of their choice on every third level and one random stat on every other level.
- All species can now choose ‘unarmed’ when playing backgrounds that allow a weapon choice.
- Necromutated characters can now memorize spells normally, even ones that undead characters are unable to cast.
- Dragon Form now provides a spell power & success chance enhancer for Dragon’s Call.
- The captain’s cutlass is now +5 (was +10) and can disarm enemies.
- TSO’s Divine Shield no longer benefits from Shields skill.
- Zin’s Hell effect protection has been halved; it now caps out at a 50% chance to block the terrors of Hell at max piety, down from 100%.
- Zin’s Recite is now more effective at very low Invocations.
- A third page has been added to the god description (^) screen, listing causes and effects of divine wrath.
- Some effects (Shatter, banishment, etc.) now display animations.
- Stealth is now displayed as a bar in the % screen. (The old ‘stealth words’) are still visible with @.)
- Monsters no longer appear on the minimap.
- The init file now allows you to specify an arbitrary monster tile for your character to be displayed as. Play as the Royal Jelly you always knew you were!
- Porcupine-shaped players now have blood.
Saturday, September 27th, 2014 02:49
I have had the luck to receive some great contributions lately, which I immediately added to the Crawl Art page. This time we get one very busy minotaur, an overlord and, a novelty, miniatures!
As usual, if you made some Crawl fanart yourself, or know someone who did, then do not hesitate to contact me (either by email or by tavern message).
Many thanks to all the contributors, and may your inspirations run free!
Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 19:33
The 0.15 tournament is over. For 16 days, players could compete for tournament points and banners by playing 0.15 games on the public servers.
For the second tournament in a row, the winning player was Tolias, with 7940 points. Over the course of the tournament Tolias won an record-breaking 26 games, many of them with Nemelex’s Choice species/background combinations. In second place was Yermak, with 7156 points and 17 wins. Yermak received 17 of the 20 Tier III banners, more than any other player. In third place was johnnyzero, with 6975 points and 17 wins, including the second-longest streak in the tournament (7 games).
The fastest wins in the tournament were achieved by Bloax (turncount, 13320 turns with a VSTm of Cheibriados) and perunasaurus (realtime, 1h 11m with a MiBe). tlatlagkaus had the highest score, 42M points with a VSBe. ebarrett had the longest streak, of 10 games. Snack was the only player to attain Tier III of Lugonu’s banner, The Heretic. Both the first victory of the tournament and the victory in the tournament with the latest start were claimed by perunasaurus.
The clan competition was won by knock knock knocking on holy pans door (28664 points). HuAs Priest (27291 points) and AWBW – SpannLords (18656 points) were second and third respectively. There were 127 clans in all.
The tournament ended with one more record: 106 wins on a single day! (Note that this page only lists 100 wins due to time zones.) Here are some assorted statistics on the tournament games (with quits removed), compared with the 0.14 tournament (in parentheses):
Players with at least one game: 2326 (2318)
Players with at least one game to reach XL 9: 1527 (1589)
Players who got a rune: 743 (787)
Players who won a game: 370 (325)
Total wins: 992 (743)
Win %: 1.71% (1.31%)
Total player time: 33903 hrs (35858 hrs)
Avg player time: 14.6 hrs (15.5 hrs)
Proportion of players using webtiles: 85.1% (80.4%)
Proportion of winners using webtiles: 76.0% (70.6%)
Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 01:42
With the tournament now over comes another long-standing Crawl tradition – the release afterwards containing all of the bugs found and fixed during the tournament, 0.15.1:
- Assorted crash fixes.
- Monsters don’t benefit from player throwing skill.
- Monsters no longer flee at random on re-entering a level after a short time.
- Several messages correctly no longer appear for out-of-sight monster actions.
- Dithmenos’ stealth bonus works properly again.
- Several spell icons that missed the initial 0.15 release.
Builds for most platforms are now available over at the downloads page.
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 06:04
We are proud to announce the release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.15: “Storm Over Zot”! 0.15 features a new deity and many, many tweaks to and streamlining of the general flow of gameplay.
Download DCSS 0.15 here, or play it online on one of many servers across the world!
The release tournament will begin at 20:00 UTC on Friday 29 August, with all online 0.15 games counting towards your score. See the tournament website for more details, including how to set up or join a clan.
0.15′s highlights include:
- Characters: Characters are now unencumbered by carrying-weight limits.
- Combat: The system of ranged combat has been fundamentally redesigned: it now behaves more like melee combat in terms of accuracy and damage, and is generally more consistent.
- Gods: Qazlal Stormbringer makes a thunderous debut, bringing elemental destruction to those unfortunate enough to cross paths with worshippers. Nemelex Xobeh’s decks have been shuffled considerably and are granted on exploration rather than through sacrifice of items.
- Items: Items are no longer subject to destruction through fire or cold, and equipment corrosion is more severe but temporary.
For a list of other major changes, see the changelog. Many thanks to all those who have contributed to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. We hope you enjoy playing 0.15!
Update 2014-08-30: OS X builds are now avaialable from the downloads page —neil
Saturday, August 23rd, 2014 04:01
The 0.15 tournament will begin in just one week! From 20:00 UTC Friday 29 August through 20:00 UTC Sunday 14 September, any 0.15 game played on any of the online servers will count for the tournament. 0.15 will be officially released before the start of the tournament – at the moment, a 0.15 beta is playable on all the online servers
The rules page contains all the details about how to score points and earn banners in the tournament. Only a few changes to the banners this tournament.
As usual, clans (teams of up to six players) can be formed and changed until one week into the tournament, so don’t panic if you aren’t on one yet! (Being on a clan isn’t necessary to participate in the tournament, but it can be a lot of fun.)
Once the tournament has started, the tournament leaderboard will contain the current results. (Before tournament start, some scores might briefly appear on this page as we test the tournament scripts, but they are just for testing.)
Tuesday, August 12th, 2014 06:22
Hi crawlers! This week, I’ll write up the latest changes to trunk and 0.15. It’s pretty quiet, since there’s a feature freeze in preparation for 0.15′s release, but we still have a few things.
- Ugly things have gotten… a bit uglier. ( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Ugly things now have the stats (hp, damage, etc) that very ugly things used to have; very ugly things have been upgraded to be, well, a bit like miniature elemental dire elephants. To compensate, ugly things no longer spawn in bands before D:13.
- Potions of resistance now grant acid/corrosion resistance.
- A number of enemies have been upgraded (sidegraded?) with a new ‘corrosive bolt’ spell; Deep Elf Sorcerers, Tengu Reavers, and Liches.
- A great number of new tiles have been added:
- All projectiles have been reworked to be more distinctive from melee weapons.
- Hand crossbows have a new set of sprites, replacing some decade-old placeholder programming art.
- Robes have a large set of new, varied sprites.
- Various enemies have had their sprites upgraded; Frances, thrashing horrors, and torpor snails.
- Nemelex invocation icons have been upgraded to the new style.
- Various miscellaneous spells have new icons.
- Mutagenic clouds now give nontrivial levels of glow; they’ll now cause yellow contam within 2-4 turns, from the previous minimum of 5 turns and average of 9.
- The Spectral Weapon description (for both spell & item) now actually mentions the injury bond effect.
- Ranged weapons have been slightly tweaked; shortbows & hand crossbows are very slightly stronger, triple crossbows are very slightly weaker.
- ?/S no longer provides advice on warding off the evil eye.