Lurker feedback & suggestions

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 15:30

Lurker feedback & suggestions

After being a long-time newb + lurker (ever since 0.6.0), I finally managed to pull off a 15-rune win as DsNe of Kiku, with my only previous (3-rune) win being MDFi of Nemelex. Anyway, to commemorate this precious event, I decided to put together some of the observations I made through that painstakingly long time, which could hopefully contribute towards improving the quality and user-friendliness of this already fine game. ;)

Here goes:

a) I've noticed the "dangerous monster warning" deal already being listed under "minor" in future improvements, but to me, this has been a huge issue while I was playing, as it took me an eternity to learn how to distinguish strong and weak foes. This was especially nasty when facing highlevel demon summons from high priests and demonologists, but then again they already have a 5 tier level info already attached to them. However, after being pulverized by DL:2 Ogre and a DL:4 Skeletal Warrior, I kinda wish this sort of information would be available in the description of all creatures comparably stronger than me ("highlevel" status / red upwards arrow icon in tiles). Simply put, the verbose descriptions of monsters just don't cut it and I don't really want to check wiki every now and then, which seems to me as a pity, because even a subtle solution such as having direct access to the "XP gain upon killing" info of a monster would be enough for me.

b) The stash-making seems to me as a rather undesirable and counter-intuitive gameplay element, as it took me quite some time to learn how to put it into a good use, while still having to read player suggestions in order to figure out which are the good levels to set a stash in without having to worry about the items being stolen by random encounters. As a rather fussy player, I believe this concept should be more supported by the game itself, ideally by some kind of a random spawning of immobile magic chests (Diablo II / Fallout 3 Mojave Express style), which could hold up to 52 slots of loot while rending it inaccessible to monsters. Also, there could be a button/subscreen/HUD display, which would show the list of all stored items for easy referrence. No further explanation seems to be needed.

c) In order to learn how to play effectively, I used to gather a lot of info by reading the morgue files of other successful players. Sadly, the spellset section failed to provide me enough tips on which spells are worth mastering, because I had no way of knowing how often they were used. Now that there is no need of victory-dance spamming of spells, I really think I could benefit from the statistic of how many times each spell was used in a game, even those which were later forgotten and replaced by other ones. I really can't be the only one, who would be interested in that. :)

d) Speaking of the removed experience pool (which is a totally awesome 0.9.0 improvement by the way), there doesn't seem to be enough motivation to disarm traps anymore, except perhaps when trying to reach lvl1 in Traps&Doors. My suggestion therefore is to add xp-gain to the disarming of traps according to their difficulty/lethality, just like in many other RPGs, because so far I just can't see a reason why not.

e) When having to face the malicious effects of Hell directed by a booming voice or something ("we don't take kindly to trespassers" or whatever), I was kinda wondering whether it was the lord of that particular section of Hell speaking and if those rotting and stat-reduction assaults would stop after his death, so I can loot those previous levels and harvest XP, but they did not. :( Anyway, say... can't these punishments somehow be dependent on how much stealthy the character is, so that flavour-wise he could manage to get undetected that way longer? Even in terms of the gameplay it seems to me, that the characters which aren't stealthy enough by that time, are the same who wouldn't even mind an occasional ambush. Or are those effects of Hell all that neccessary?

f) Upon seeing the vast amounts of money left by the end of the game and having only 7 pieces of permafood left, I considered all the closed food shops and though how cool it would be to restock them for a price of say... 500/1000 gold? Of course, the restocking of an antique shop would be the most expensive of all and it could be done even when it's not empty yet (discarding its previous stock) for that matter. I believe that even the sprint levels could benefit from this somehow.

g) Last, but not least, to me it seems rather odd for Okawaru to gift weapons/armour/ammo, while gifts from other gods are usually way more specific. My humble wish therefore is for Oka to be much more of a melee-oriented god, in which case Feddhas could be improved a bit to support ranged combat even further and gift ranged weapons+ammo, therefore making him a viable alternative to Oka when playing a more Hunter-oriented character build like Hobbits or Centaurs. I am rather short on the specific suggestions here, it just seems to me like a quite reasonable call considering that you can always see altars of Oka surrounded by melee weapons and even the tile depicting his altar is made of those.

That's pretty much all for now, so let me know if I have been any helpful and in the meantime I can try to figure out which combo to pick for a full Ziggurat clearance. :D

EDIT: Wooden rafts in Shoals, please! Who played Dark Disciples knows, what I am talking about. :)

For this message the author Marten has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, XuaXua

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 16:39

Re: Lurker feedback & suggestions

a) Yep, would be nice.
b) I think making safe stashes less important by not having monsters screw with my stuff would be better. It's not terribly relevant (good players often don't use a stash) and mostly annoying.
c) This would be so awesome.
d) The reason against it is that it would make people tediously look for traps to disarm to scum some exp.
e) I think Hell effects could use some improvement (more interesting, more avoidable with certain skills and good play), and I think that they are absolutely necessary to the gameplay of the hells, differentiating them from other late game challenges.
f) Restocking shops for a price could actually be interesting (for a high price). Maybe this should randomly change the shop type?
g) making more gods gift stuff is pretty much not on the table afaik. Koboldlord recently posted an interesting idea for changing oka gifts.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 16:49

a) relative danger level is a good suggestion - Skeletal Warriors are much tougher; is there a Necromancy spell that can create them instead of animated skeletons?

b) I dislike stashes and inventory management, but it is a necessary evil. I hate Resident Evil's magical inventory chests; that fourth-walls me out of the game.

c) A record of the number of times a spell is cast, including forgotten spells, (especially now that victory dancing spells is gone) and showing them in morgue files, as well as a percentage vs total spell usage, would be AWESOME. I am going to go put in a feature request in the bugs right now.

d) traps are useful for ammo replenishment; I'd like to see deeper traps dispense enhanced ammo. Disarming traps to train skills is now useless with the new skill system.

e) Haven't done enough hell to comment.

f) I love the restocking idea, but rather than paying, there should be auto-restocking with newly restocked items for sale at higher prices after some amount of game time has passed.

g) Trog is the melee god gifter.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 16:51

You can stash pretty much anywhere as long as you clear out the level and stay off of it when not messing with your stash. For example, if it looks like I might actually win, I'll stash all my randarts on D1 with a potion of might next to a staircase out of the dungeon.

And please no weapon/ammo gifting on Fedhas. Fedhas is a cool and nifty god with a very strong theme and she doesn't need that mucked up by handing out bows for some reason. If she should gift anything, it should be fruit. Okawaru is a god of battle, so him dabbling in armor and projectiles makes perfect sense. His abilities benefit pretty much everyone anyway. If you're looking for the most melee centric god, look at Trog. Sure, he gifts ammo, but nobody is shooting or throwing while they're berserk.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 16:55

XuaXua wrote:c) A record of the number of times a spell is cast, including forgotten spells, (especially now that victory dancing spells is gone) and showing them in morgue files, as well as a percentage vs total spell usage, would be AWESOME. I am going to go put in a feature request in the bugs right now.

Done.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 20:25

TwilightPhoenix wrote:looks like I might actually win, I'll stash all my randarts on D1 with a potion of might next to a staircase out of the dungeon.

Inventory doesn't count for score anymore.

a) We put an implementable for it, so it's open for contribution. The interface isn't settled though. An optional message would be nice, but it would be better to have it right away in the monster list (monster tab for tiles). Having it in the description is very easy, let's start with that.

b) I toyed with the chest idea a bit, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. And any convenience to stashing brings problem with Jyiva. It's really not a big problem once you've learned to travel light and not hoard useless stuff.

c) great idea. Put in on the wiki.

d) We don't want to encourage tedious behaviour, no thanks. True, there's no much motivation in disarming. Good, because it's not the most interesting thing to do in the dungeon.

e) Hell effects and the fact that they are unavoidable make for a very different pace and gameplay.

f) I don't like the idea of renewable ressources. The fact that ressources are limited is what is pushing you forward.

g) weapon gifts aren't great, but limiting to melee wouldn't be an improvement IMO. Weapon gifts don't fit Fedhas theme at all.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 20:57

galehar wrote:c) great idea. Put in on the wiki.

Done. I have no idea where to submit arbitrary feature requests. Now I know.

Also added a request to track chunk age in order to easier manage inventory.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 21:01

galehar wrote:f) [regarding shop restocking] I don't like the idea of renewable ressources. The fact that ressources are limited is what is pushing you forward.

Gold is limited, and not letting the player use that resource is not interesting. Zigs and Zin just don't come up in most games, and frequently I find myself with a lot of leftover gold and nothing useful to spend it on. Being able to do more stuff with gold later in the game would be great (and not just for followers of a specific god). Gold keeps spawning, shops do not (and bazaars are pretty rare). This just doesn't work very well, once I am past the shop-heavy areas and bought the useful things I don't really care about gold at all. Before that point gold works great. What makes it even worse is that the importance of gold depends entirely on the shops spawned. Book or jewellery shops often have enough useful things to spend a whole 3-rune game's supply of gold on, while most other shops don't let you spend enough money (while still asking a fairly reasonable price for the stuff they do have). Shop restocking for a price is a use for gold that kind of makes sense and could provide some more choices. If the shop type is kept the same it is similar to acquirement, except you get to pick from a list and the good stuff costs more. It would make the late game a little easier, which is not good IMO (but also probably not a major problem), but I'm sure that could be compensated somehow.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 21:18

XuaXua wrote:

Done. I have no idea where to submit arbitrary feature requests. Now I know.

Also added a request to track chunk age in order to easier manage inventory.

chunks are sorted by age in inventory. Oldest ones at the top. Also, if you enable easy_eat_chunks, it will automatically eat the oldest chunk you have when you press e.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
XuaXua

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 21:19

galehar wrote:e) Hell effects and the fact that they are unavoidable make for a very different pace and gameplay.

Then how about an amulet of Resist Rot to compliment those Rings Of Sustain Abilities during Hell runs? If I'm not mistaken, it is by far the only resistance, which is unattainable by any usual means of equipment and such an amulet could even make chunks of meat in inventory last longer/indefinitely, so it can actually be useful in other occasions. Could be named "Amulet Of Freshness" or something, but I'm pretty sure you already have a counterargument at hand, which is...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 21:27

e) Hell effects are mandatory, as explained. They can be tweaked (for example, hells won't banish anymore) and they should depend on hell branch. (Unfortunately, I cannot find any piece of discussion on the wiki for this.) Using stealth is an option, discuss it here (separate thread) or https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:dungeon:branch:hells

f) Restocking is not an option: if food is scarce, you should not be able to open up a new shop. Your life should be harder (some options are: necromutation, Zin, Kikubaaqudgha). It is true that gold is not the most meaningful resource in the game, but it has been made more relevant during the Soup: bazaars, ziggurats, Zin, treasure troves. There is a gold god about to materialise https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:god:gold and there are some other ideas (a mercenerary card, a Tmut/Conj spell Reverse Alchemy).

g) The idea of Fedhas was to support ranged combat in an interesting, indirect way. Gifting ammunition is out of the question for this god. In general, weapon gifts are not particularly interesting. If you enchant arrows or bolts high enough, they will definitely last a game.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 05:33

dpeg wrote:There is a gold god about to materialise https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:god:gold and there are some other ideas (a mercenerary card, a Tmut/Conj spell Reverse Alchemy).

Sounds like fun. How much is the planned gold god similar to the one listed at the wiki page?

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 07:44

minmay wrote:Rot is one of the least harmful hell effects. Just have a potion of healing or two. (There's also Necromutation, 0.9+ Statue Form, Zin, and simply playing undead.)

I guess that explains it, since I was out of potions by that time and did not even use Necromutation, so I lost like 50HP to the effects of Hell. :( My point is though, that I am still sort of surprised to see "Res.Rott." in the character screen since 0.7 and no equipment, which could put a + next to is. Also, how does one get two ticks of Warding?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 08:47

nicolae wrote:
dpeg wrote:There is a gold god about to materialise https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:god:gold and there are some other ideas (a mercenerary card, a Tmut/Conj spell Reverse Alchemy).

Sounds like fun. How much is the planned gold god similar to the one listed at the wiki page?

The planned god is the one on the wiki page.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 22:23

dpeg wrote:
nicolae wrote:

The planned god is the one on the wiki page.

Hm, that question sounded less stupid in my head. Cool, though. How soon is it planned to go in, during 0.10?

(Also the Reverse Alchemy spell sounds interesting, but I like seeing new spells with new school combinations.)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th August 2011, 07:42

nicolae wrote:How soon is it planned to go in, during 0.10?

Implementing a god is a lot of work and for now, nobody volunteered for coding it. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 08:43

Okay, here is a remark and a possible bug report - misc items such as lantern of shadows are identified completely from the start and are a waste of identify scrolls. Also, speaking of which, why does the lantern equip to primary hand and not secondary (shield) hand?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 09:56

Marten wrote:Okay, here is a remark and a possible bug report - misc items such as lantern of shadows are identified completely from the start and are a waste of identify scrolls. Also, speaking of which, why does the lantern equip to primary hand and not secondary (shield) hand?

The fact that it is fully identified from the start isn't a bug. We changed that recently because since their appearance isn't randomized, it was just spoilery. Crystall balls are the only misc item left which isn't identified.
The fact that ?id prompt for the item is a bug and I've just fixed it.
You can't wield anything in your off-hand, you can only wear a shield. Maybe we could put an exception for the lantern, but how would the interface handle it? (W)earing a lantern is weird. Not sure if it's worth bothering with it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 08:52

b) Speaking about stashes, it really seemed quite counter-intuitive for me.
Maybe an adventurer could use a hint, like finding a variable "room" in the Lair or in the Ecumenical Temple filled with not so useful things (1-2 potions of healing, a few scrolls of random uselessness, a few blunt daggers, a -2 robe or a -7 armour...) and a something (a pre-scripted scroll, a writing on the wall...) that would tell the adventurer that this is a stash?

==

There is a piece of paper with something written on it. Curious, you glance over the writing.
"I got tired of carrying all these things I didn't need all the time, so I decided to leave some of them here, in this nice natural cave where nobody would find it, and to return back once I need them. You who reads this, please do not touch these things: I will come for them soon."
This piece of paper looks very old and dirty, as if it had been lying here for years. Seems like the one who wrote this never came here again.

==

The text on the piece of paper might vary, and the stash does not need to appear in a specific level all the time.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 13:28

Have you ever found the vault in early Lair that is a bunch of item piles scattered around that looks like an abandoned stash? It's hysterical, and definitely evokes the feeling of a Nethack bones level.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 13:52

Marten wrote:why does the lantern equip to primary hand and not secondary (shield) hand?

I think it's the choice you make with the lantern -- it prevents using a weapon and greatly weakens your spellcasting, in exchange for reducing LoS and summoning popcorn undead to trip up the pursuit.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 14:07

Stormfox wrote:Have you ever found the vault in early Lair that is a bunch of item piles scattered around that looks like an abandoned stash? It's hysterical, and definitely evokes the feeling of a Nethack bones level.

Erm, no, I didn't. :oops:
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 11:00

galehar wrote:You can't wield anything in your off-hand, you can only wear a shield. Maybe we could put an exception for the lantern, but how would the interface handle it? (W)earing a lantern is weird. Not sure if it's worth bothering with it.

Nope, wielding would be okay, it would just use off-hand exclusively for these items (which is probably how shields should work as well, since I remember how long it took me to figure out, that shield are (W)orn). And the other summoning stuff like Lamp Of Fire, Air Elemental Fan etc. could work on a similar principle to Lantern of Shadows, since there are more interesting things to do in the game rather then evoking them for a chance that's less than 10%, which is why most players won't bother messing around with them. Elementalists could use those instead shields and it would fit nicely into the game's philosophy imo, wouldn't it?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 11:45

Wielding the lantern in the main hand is okay, in my opinion. What we should change is that the w prompt should take into account those items, i.e. always list the lantern and decks, list spell items if you know the spells and so on. In other words, players should almost never have to press w* anymore.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 12:15

dpeg wrote:What we should change is that the w prompt should take into account those items, i.e. always list the lantern and decks, list spell items if you know the spells and so on. In other words, players should almost never have to press w* anymore.

It's already like that. I think the only case missing is missiles if you have a ?EW in your inventory. We can add it or change EW scrolls as jpeg suggested.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 12:22

galehar: very good, I wasn't aware of this. The w* business was pretty obscure and drew questions regularly.

Regarding EW scrolls, the idea still seems good. If I understand correctly, the new, combined EW scroll would roll its number of enchantments (say 1-5, with non-flat chances) and then roll whether to apply it to accuracy and damage (for weapon where this applies), possibly with a bias towards the smaller number.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 14:50

XuaXua wrote:

Apparently it has been implemented; waiting for new DCSS build to confirm and suggest throwing the idea into that thread which consolidates the Tavern ideas that made it into DCSS.

Also would be cool to get a DCSS 10 build RSS feed. :) I think this is only in 10.

Here is the commit. Thanks, KiloByte! Credit idea to Marten!

It is optional. you have to uncomment the following in init.txt:
# dump_order += spell_usage

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 15:41

Okay, another batch of suggestions/potential bugs, mostly details related to graphics in tiles:

-the icon of most artefact jewelry is usually misleading due to not displaying anything related to its function; if this is mostly so that they can be distinguished from non-art pieces (considering that all art amulets have a base enchantment or something), then they definitely should have something like a golden background instead or just be outlined with such colour to ensure better micromanagement; same would be great for tier1 wands and so on, since even they display differently on the verbose inventory screen
- the icon for "bolt" spells depicts an arrow, yet their behavior is totally far from arrow-like in that it punctures through enemies, which took me quite a while to figure out
- I'm absolutely positive I have autopicked a "curse armour" scroll when not playing as Ashenzari; bug?
- icons of Wyverns display them with wings spread out, altough I don't see them actually flying too often (important for static discharge, imo); is this okay?
- there's no automatic travel exclusion for diamond obelisks despite them being the most dangerous of all statues

That should be all for now, but I'll keep in touch. ;)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 15:48

Marten wrote:- I'm absolutely positive I have autopicked a "curse armour" scroll when not playing as Ashenzari; bug?

No scroll is useless if you don't know spellcasting.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 20:04

galehar wrote:
Marten wrote:- I'm absolutely positive I have autopicked a "curse armour" scroll when not playing as Ashenzari; bug?

No scroll is useless if you don't know spellcasting.

Is this still the case under the new skilling system?
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 20:27

jpeg wrote:Is this still the case under the new skilling system?

You still have to pre-dance for that first level, regardless of whether you have it set to manual or automatic. I don't think there's any point to picking up Curse Foo or Immolation scrolls just to pre-dance spellcasting, though, because level 0 skills have a separate priority queue from skills that are being trained normally.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 23:04

Immolation is good. Immolation is good. Immolation is good.

And I don't mean the band.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 05:56

Character dump with spells cast (scroll to the end). Yes, I realize I have only found 2 spellbooks.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.10-a0-416-gfb4d669 character file.

XuaXua the Eclecticist (SEEE)                      Turns: 21286, Time: 02:17:48

HP  82/82        AC 13     Str 14      XL: 13   Next: 22%
MP  43/47        EV 17     Int 22      God: Ashenzari [***...]
Gold 697         SH  0     Dex 15      Spells:  7 memorised, 21 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +    B - staff of power
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : . .  H - +2 orc robe {MR} (curse)
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .    (no shield)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    (no helmet)
Res.Poison: .       Clarity    : +    k - +2 cloak (curse)
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    h - +2 pair of gauntlets
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    N - +2 pair of boots (curse)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    (no amulet)
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    (no ring)
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    R - cursed +5 ring of strength

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, very stealthy
A: Str +1
a: Renounce Religion

You are on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Ashenzari.
Ashenzari is greatly pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 15 of its levels.
You have visited 1 Labyrinth.
You have visited 3 portal chambers: ossuary, ice cave, spiders nest.

You have collected 733 gold pieces.
You have spent 56 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 m - a +2,+3 battleaxe of chopping
 x - an uncursed sling
 z - an uncursed blowgun
 F - the +3,+0 sling of Megalomania {velocity, Str+1}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)   

Any stone fired from it inflicts extra damage.

It affects your strength (+1).
 G - the +3,+0 spear "Cle Cou" {slay drac, +Inv Dex+2}
   (You took it off an orc wizard on level 10 of the Dungeon)   

This legendary weapon is deadly to all dragonkind. It also provides some
   protection from the breath attacks of dragons and other creatures.

It affects your dexterity (+2).
   It lets you turn invisible.
 U - an uncursed runed hand axe
 Y - an uncursed sling
Missiles
 e - 6 +0 sling bullets of flame
 j - 49 poisoned needles
 t - 29 runed darts (quivered)
 v - 19 poisoned needles
 E - 21 stones
 P - 38 +0 sling bullets
Armour
 g - a +0 animal skin of fire resistance
 h - a +2 pair of gauntlets (worn)
 k - a cursed +2 cloak (worn)
 H - a cursed +2 orcish robe of magic resistance (worn)
 N - a cursed +2 pair of boots (worn)
Magical devices
 b - a wand of teleportation (8)
 l - a wand of magic darts {zapped: 8}
 n - a wand of healing {zapped: 2}
 s - a wand of frost {zapped: 2}
 u - a wand of draining {zapped: 7}
 A - a wand of fire {zapped: 3}
 D - a wand of cold {zapped: 2}
 K - a wand of hasting {zapped: 2}
 L - a wand of flame {zapped: 3}
 W - a wand of confusion {zapped: 5}
Comestibles
 i - a meat ration
 r - a royal jelly
 C - a pear
 T - an apple
 V - 11 strawberries
 X - a rotting chunk of snake flesh
Scrolls
 a - 3 scrolls of remove curse
 d - 6 scrolls of fog
 f - a scroll of magic mapping
 o - a scroll of fear
 q - 3 scrolls of teleportation
 y - a scroll of enchant weapon III
Jewellery
 I - an uncursed ring of fire
 M - an uncursed amulet of faith
 R - a cursed +5 ring of strength (left hand)
Potions
 c - a potion of levitation
Magical staves
 p - an uncursed staff of fire
 B - a staff of power (weapon)
 Q - a +3 rod of demonology (13/13)
   (You found it on level 9 of the Dungeon)
Miscellaneous
 w - a plain deck of summonings {drawn: 2}

Skills:
 + Level 8 Fighting
 - Level 1 Axes
 - Level 1 Staves
 - Level 2 Slings
 + Level 5 Throwing
 + Level 7(8) Dodging
 + Level 8(9) Stealth
 - Level 1 Traps & Doors
 * Level 15 Spellcasting
 + Level 6 Conjurations
 + Level 3 Transmutations
 + Level 10 Earth Magic
 + Level 7 Evocations

You have 21 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Petrify               Erth/Trmt      ######...    Excellent   4    None
b - Spider Form           Pois/Trmt      ####......   Great       3    None
c - Stone Arrow           Erth/Conj      #######      Excellent   3    None
q - Stoneskin             Erth/Trmt      ######....   Excellent   2    None
v - Lee's Rapid Deconstr  Erth           #######...   Excellent   5    Strawberry
w - Passwall              Erth/Trmt      ######....   Excellent   3    None
x - Sandblast             Erth           #######      Excellent   1    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (11/27)            Temple (1/1) D:6             Orc (0/4) D:9
   Lair (3/8) D:11          Snake (0/5) Lair:3     
 Swamp: Lair:2-5    Shoals: Lair:3-6      Hive: D:11-16     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:6: *

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

Your muscles are strong (Str +1).

Message History

You kill the giant slug!
You now have 697 gold pieces.
You see here a rat corpse.
You start butchering the rat corpse with your battleaxe.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You finish chopping the rat corpse into pieces.
J - a chunk of rat flesh
You see here a rat skeleton.
You feel your mana capacity increase.
B - a staff of power (weapon)
You start resting.
You smell decay. Yuck! (slot X)
You start resting.
Eating a chunk of rat flesh. This raw flesh tastes terrible.
You continue eating.
You finish eating.
HP restored.
Welcome back, XuaXua the Sludge Elf Earth Elementalist.
Ashenzari says: Partake of my vision. Partake of my curse.
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.

....,      f...
  ....,     *##..
  ... ,,      ###
* #.#    *      #
###.#  ##*      #
#...###.### #####
##........###f.#.
#................
##......##.   #%.
 #@..%..#  * *##.
*#......#      #.
#.#.#.P.#      #.
####P..##      ##
   ##..#       #.
    #.##       #.
   ##.f#     ###.
 ###..########.#.
##......#f.#.....

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  A frost giant (Port)
  A minotaur (Lab)
  2 death yaks (Port)
  A human (D:7)
  2 hill giants
  Urug (D:11)
  A black mamba (Lair:2)
  A hydra skeleton (Lair:2)
  Maurice (D:11)
  2 spiny frogs (Lair:3)
  Psyche (D:11)
  2 trolls
  A komodo dragon (Lair:3)
  A queen bee (Lair:1)
  13 polar bears (Port)
  4 blink frogs (Lair:3)
  An elf zombie (Port)
  29 yaks
  A basilisk (Lair:1)
  3 human zombies
  A hungry ghost (Lab)
  A hippogriff (D:9)
  A manticore (D:11)
  Menkaure (D:7)
  A necrophage (D:9)
  5 orc warriors
  2 giant goldfish (D:10)
  A red devil (Port)
  9 ice beasts
  A sky beast (D:11)
  2 phantoms
  3 nagas (Lair:3)
  10 ogres
  A crocodile (Lair:2)
  A big kobold (D:10)
  12 wolves (Port)
  11 centaurs
  2 giant slugs
  5 water moccasins
  An agate snail (Lair:2)
  8 giant frogs
  An eye of draining (D:10)
  A water moccasin skeleton (D:4)
  33 killer bees
  9 wights
  A jellyfish (D:10)
  2 goliath beetles
  9 imps
  2 big kobold skeletons
  8 electric eels (D:10)
  7 hounds
  6 scorpions
  6 worker ants
  A hound zombie (Port)
  4 orc wizards
  6 iguanas
  2 porcupines
  A sheep (Lair:3)
  Jessica (D:6)
  5 jellies
  5 mummies
  21 gnolls
  11 snakes
  7 green rats (Lair:3)
  An iguana zombie (D:9)
  2 snake zombies (Port)
  19 giant centipedes
  A giant mite (D:3)
  2 worms
  A giant eyeball (D:11)
  2 gnoll zombies (Port)
  9 giant geckos
  3 oozes
  17 orcs
  16 hobgoblins
  27 kobolds
  2 small snakes
  15 bats
  9 giant cockroaches
  14 giant newts
  3 giant spores
  19 goblins
  4 goblin zombies (Port)
  3 hobgoblin zombies (Port)
  2 jackal zombies (Port)
  5 killer bee larvae (Lair:1)
  A kobold skeleton (D:11)
  2 kobold zombies (Port)
  An orc skeleton (D:7)
  3 orc zombies (Port)
  8 quokkas
  8 quokka zombies (Port)
  30 rats
  A rat skeleton (D:5)
  2 rat zombies (Port)
  3 ballistomycetes
  A fungus (Lair:2)
  A plant (Lair:3)
  2 toadstools
536 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A neqoxec (Port)
  5 yaks
  A rat (D:9)
7 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  A polar bear (Port)
  A yak (Port)
  A small abomination (Lair:2)
  5 wolves (Port)
  A worker ant zombie (D:6)
  A white imp (D:9)
  An orc (D:7)
  2 rats
  2 ballistomycetes (D:11)
  29 toadstools
44 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 587 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | XuaXua, the Sludge Elf Earth Elementalist, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 11/11 MP: 3/3
   242 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 17/17 MP: 6/6
   313 | D:2      | You fall through a shaft!
   322 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
   375 | D:5      | Learned a level 2 spell: Stoneskin
   413 | D:5      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 21/21 MP: 3/9
   707 | D:6      | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
   714 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
   725 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
   725 | D:6      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 20/27 MP: 8/12
   732 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
   788 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Ashenzari the Shackled
   838 | D:6      | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
   842 | D:6      | Found Yluen's General Store.
   850 | D:6      | Bought a potion of healing for 28 gold pieces
   850 | D:6      | Bought a potion of strong poison for 28 gold pieces
   938 | D:6      | Learned a level 3 spell: Stone Arrow
   942 | D:6      | Learned a level 3 spell: Passwall
  1011 | D:6      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 27/31 MP: 6/15
  1079 | D:6      | Reached skill level 6 in Spellcasting
  1389 | D:6      | Reached skill level 7 in Spellcasting
  1389 | D:6      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 33/36 MP: 13/19
  1394 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
  1602 | D:6      | Reached skill level 8 in Spellcasting
  1674 | D:6      | Noticed Jessica
  1684 | D:6      | Defeated Jessica
  1684 | D:6      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 26/41 MP: 5/21
  1704 | D:6      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  2333 | D:5      | Learned a level 5 spell: Lee's Rapid Deconstruction
  2747 | D:4      | Got the cursed sling of Megalomania {velocity, Str+1}
  2775 | D:4      | Reached skill level 9 in Spellcasting
  2868 | D:4      | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
  3093 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Slings
  3463 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  3471 | D:3      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 42/46 MP: 2/24
  3646 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
  3672 | D:3      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  4261 | D:2      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
  4809 | D:2      | Identified the +3,+0 sling of Megalomania {velocity, Str+1} (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)
  5773 | D:1      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  6436 | Temple   | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong (Str +1).
  6628 | D:7      | Noticed Menkaure
  6632 | D:7      | Defeated Menkaure
  6635 | D:7      | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
  6872 | D:7      | Found a sand-covered staircase.
  6939 | ossuary  | Entered a tomb
  7223 | ossuary  | Reached skill level 11 in Spellcasting
  7237 | ossuary  | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
  7237 | ossuary  | Reached XP level 9. HP: 51/51 MP: 13/27
  7409 | D:7      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  7571 | D:7      | Reached skill level 12 in Spellcasting
  7648 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
  7648 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Axes
  8298 | D:8      | Reached skill level 13 in Spellcasting
  8302 | D:8      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
  8603 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 53/57 MP: 20/29
  9048 | D:9      | Found a sparkling altar of Nemelex Xobeh.
  9767 | D:9      | Reached skill level 5 in Earth Magic
  9781 | D:9      | HP: 1/59 [centaur (7)]
 10099 | D:9      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 10108 | D:9      | Identified a rod of demonology
 10836 | Temple   | Learned a level 4 spell: Petrify
 10912 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 10912 | D:10     | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 11044 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 33/65 MP: 2/31
 11188 | D:10     | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
 11205 | D:10     | Acquired Ashenzari's first power
 11555 | D:10     | Got the spear "Cle Cou" {slay drac, +Inv Dex+2}
 12791 | D:11     | Noticed Urug
 12810 | D:11     | Defeated Urug
 12832 | D:11     | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 12832 | D:11     | Reached skill level 5 in Evocations
 12837 | D:11     | Noticed Psyche
 12842 | D:11     | Defeated Psyche
 12932 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 13058 | D:11     | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
 13146 | D:11     | Noticed Maurice
 13341 | D:11     | Defeated Maurice
 13341 | D:11     | Reached skill level 1 in Staves
 13341 | D:11     | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
 13453 | D:11     | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 4 turns
 13768 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 14101 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 3 spell: Spider Form
 14103 | Lair:2   | Acquired Ashenzari's second power
 14154 | Lair:2   | Found a labyrinth entrance.
 14168 | Lab      | Entered a Labyrinth
 16073 | Lab      | Reached XP level 12. HP: 6/75 MP: 23/32
 16452 | Lair:2   | Found a frozen archway.
 16463 | IceCv    | Entered an ice cave
 16725 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 5 in Throwing
 17282 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 10 in Earth Magic
 17526 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 14 in Spellcasting
 18043 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 15 in Spellcasting
 18684 | Lair:2   | Identified the +3,+0 spear "Cle Cou" {slay drac, +Inv Dex+2} (You took it off an orc wizard on level 10 of the Dungeon)
 18817 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 81/81 MP: 20/34
 20323 | Lair:3   | Found a crumbling entrance.
 20445 | Spider   | Entered a spider's nest
 20956 | Lair:3   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.

Spells cast              | total |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------
Stone Arrow              |   584 |     0 |    23 |   121 |   361 |    79
Lee's Rapid Deconstructi |    67 |     0 |     0 |     0 |    60 |     7
Sandblast                |   203 |    29 |    38 |    65 |    39 |    32
Stoneskin                |     2 |     0 |     0 |     0 |     2 |     0

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 15:27

Oh, here is a good one (bug), that was even in the previous versions: I have spells set as hotkeys 1, 2, 3, etc. set with macros (1->za and so on). Later, when I change the letters with adjust spells, for example change spells b and c, and then press 2 on some point of the game, everything goes fine and the spell on b is cast. But then, when I cast the spell using CTRL+left mouse click, it will cast the spell on c, hence the former b. Reason unknown, but I'm 100% positive with this.

Return to Game Design Discussion