6 Questions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 12:37

6 Questions

Hello fellow DCSS players.
I’ve written down some questions that I can´t seem to find an answer to in the usual manner (Forums, Manual, Tutorial, Google etc.) over the course of a couple months. Any clarification greatly appreciated.

1. Is there a way to play the latest development build (tiles), without having to download the newest file every few days? Something in the line of this
http://techlorebyigor.blogspot.se/2009/ ... crawl.html ?

I know you can play a regularly updated online version, but that is not an option for me since Windows 7 (64 bit) for some reason doesn’t work well with DCSS Web tiles.

2. Regarding Identify scrolls: Does any stat or skill affect the chance of getting multiple id´s (1-3) on a identify scroll? Also, seems easier getting multiple ID´s on Potions but harder on scrolls. How does that work?

3. I know CTRL+A turns the default auto pickup ON/OFF but is there a way to auto pick specific items in-game, say if I want to auto pick up Missiles? As opposed to having to save & exit the game and change parameters in the settings init./option file)?

4. When using pets/followers do they receive full enchantment bonus of non-identified gear when wielding those?

5. Do you get hungry faster when not “normally” satiated (as in opposite to hungry, nearly starving, full, very full, engorged)? Sometimes I get the impression (especially when playing a spriggan) being more then “normal” satiated speeds up your hunger but I might be deluding myself.

6. When using Decks, what affects the chance for getting a friendly/non friendly pet (deck of summoning) and do followers of Nemelex increase this chance?
Last edited by graffen69 on Saturday, 28th July 2012, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 12:45

Re: 6 Questions

1 I don't think so
2 It's random and you are imagining the difference between IDing scrolls and potions
3 press / in trunk (Or is it \?)
4 Yes
5 No. you don't hunger faster, but normal is a much larger range than some of the other levels, so it takes longer to go from full to normal to hungry than from very full to full to normal

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 12:51

6 is evocations skill level alone. Nothing to do with Nemelex.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 15:12

Dam, i guess we´ll have to dl latest builds every so often til someone figures this out. The link provided above with someone who has the knowledge, but it´s for Windows XP.
Many thanks for the quick replies. :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 21:37

The only other way I could think of to get the latest trunk automatically would be to set up a regularly scheduled git pull and source compile.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 22:36

graffen69 wrote:it´s for Windows XP.

What is your OS?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 00:39

Windows 7.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 03:08

minmay wrote:
XuaXua wrote:6 is evocations skill level alone. Nothing to do with Nemelex.

http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=card+power

"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 04:09

jejorda2 wrote:
graffen69 wrote:it´s for Windows XP.

What is your OS?

I´m using Windows 7 (64 bit). Was another thread about trying to play Web Tiles using this OS
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4136&p=65956#p65956
but i never found a way for it to be playable without heavy lagg on Win 7-64.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 05:04

Or you could switch to ASCII and play through putty

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 30th July 2012, 02:51

One-Eyed Jack wrote:Or you could switch to ASCII and play through putty

I wish i knew more bout computers. I tried using Putty a couple times but i have no basic knowledge about it nor ASCII, so sadly i never got it to work.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 30th July 2012, 13:38

graffen69 wrote:
One-Eyed Jack wrote:Or you could switch to ASCII and play through putty

I wish i knew more bout computers. I tried using Putty a couple times but i have no basic knowledge about it nor ASCII, so sadly i never got it to work.

Personally, I prefer the ASCII interface to the webtiles interface. Once I learned what all the symbols meant, I found that it was easier for me to take in at a glance what was on the screen - but your mileage may vary. I'll concede that Webtiles has a nicer mouse interface, though.

Putty is pretty easy to set up, especially since there's a step by step tutorial linked from the main page. Go to http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto and scroll down to the "On Windows-based operating systems" section.

The only thing I would add to that tutorial is how to save your session so you don't have to re-enter the data each time: after getting all your settings right, on the Session page, type a name into the "Saved Sessions" box and hit the Save button.

For this message the author zogre has received thanks:
graffen69

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 14:10

zogre wrote:Personally, I prefer the ASCII interface to the webtiles interface. Once I learned what all the symbols meant, I found that it was easier for me to take in at a glance what was on the screen - but your mileage may vary. I'll concede that Webtiles has a nicer mouse interface, though.

Putty is pretty easy to set up, especially since there's a step by step tutorial linked from the main page. Go to http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto and scroll down to the "On Windows-based operating systems" section.

The only thing I would add to that tutorial is how to save your session so you don't have to re-enter the data each time: after getting all your settings right, on the Session page, type a name into the "Saved Sessions" box and hit the Save button.

I actually tried on ASCII at yer recommendation for a couple hours. However, I could never get into it – it just comes down to what you’re accustomed to. I´m sure if I had started with ASCII I´d feel more at home with that instead.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice