Randart Names

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 14:54

Randart Names

I am always a little dismayed and embarrassed at the Names usually attributed to otherwise perfectly respectable Randart equipment.

Wouldn't a simply system of preset Suffixes, Nouns and Prefixes easily change completely random names to something that describes the weapon at least a little?

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 14:57

Re: Randart Names

I think something like "strooziyun" is cooler.
Last edited by Amnesiac on Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Amnesiac has received thanks:
Igxfl

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 15:09

Yeah... so my inventory will consist of:
Hsdfjie (Primary Weapon)
Jertijsgd (Awesome Cloak dude)
Jreisdf (Body armour.. best not to wear it around fire!)
and don't forget my favorite
Gwerjiwe (Crossbow from hell, useless against poison resistant creatures).

Why give em names at all? 'Cloak 1' works fine with me.

Naw... in my (as of yet still possibly uninformed) opinion it was a little slack to not link the name generator with the item generator somehow.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 15:30

They sound much better than what you've stated

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 16:07

Says the guy named "xzanthius," which I am pretty sure is the name of the +1 pair of boots (+lev, *tele, dex +1) I just left in Lair.

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks: 2
Amnesiac, Klown

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 16:08

roctavian wrote:Says the guy named "xzanthius," which I am pretty sure is the name of the +1 pair of boots (+lev, *tele, dex +1) I just left in Lair.

I don't know if this is true, but it's funny.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 16:11

Amnesiac wrote:
roctavian wrote:Says the guy named "xzanthius," which I am pretty sure is the name of the +1 pair of boots (+lev, *tele, dex +1) I just left in Lair.

I don't know if this is true, but it's funny.

xzanthius wrote:Gwerjiwe

I like this

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 16:38

Code:
3758 | D:5 | Identified the +6/+7 demon whip 'Portalquaffer', the Wails of Hubris. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is made from finely tanned death yak leather. The leather is inscribed with images of pain and torment. It bristles with tourmaline spikes of electricity resistance. It is studded with fine zircon gems of see invisible. The handle is decorated with orb spider silk. It portrays the slaying of Zippy the Deep Dwarf Necromancer by a two-headed ogre on the turn 6892. The two-headed ogre is hitting Zippy with a giant spiked club and hitting Zippy with a giant spiked club. Zippy looks as though that really hurt. The design is outlined in spikes of transparent sky beast bone.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

For this message the author Igxfl has received thanks: 18
Bloax, nicolae, ontoclasm, rebthor, rosstin, sgrunt, Tiber, Wahaha, Wark, Zannick and 8 more users

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 17:15

Can we have artefacts containing names of players on the server? that'll be cool, +3 short sword of Roctavian's delight (*Rage str+1 int-2).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 17:17

The game sometimes will put your name in a randart's name.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 17:18

Great mace of 1010011010 (-9dam +6Int)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 21:09

xzanthius wrote:I am always a little dismayed and embarrassed at the Names usually attributed to otherwise perfectly respectable Randart equipment.

Wouldn't a simply system of preset Suffixes, Nouns and Prefixes easily change completely random names to something that describes the weapon at least a little?

Actually, all the artefact names that look randomly generated are in fact precise summaries of the artefact's powers, just written in a language you don't speak.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
rosstin

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 7th August 2013, 11:29

nicolae wrote:
xzanthius wrote:I am always a little dismayed and embarrassed at the Names usually attributed to otherwise perfectly respectable Randart equipment.

Actually, all the artefact names that look randomly generated are in fact precise summaries of the artefact's powers, just written in a language you don't speak.

Oh I can speak it as well as anyone I just can't understand any of it. ;-)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 7th August 2013, 15:12

nicolae wrote:Actually, all the artefact names that look randomly generated are in fact precise summaries of the artefact's powers, just written in a language you don't speak.

http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/library_of_babel.html

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 7th August 2013, 18:56

Ah yes, "the classic dictum: The Library is a sphere whose exact center is any one of its hexagons and whose circumference is inaccessible."

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that.....

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 8th August 2013, 19:53

Ok... so the solution to my problem (learning the meanings of the various apparently nonsensical or misleading names of the randart artifacts I find playing crawl) is to find the Library of Babel and the knowledge hidden therein? Wow that will take my gaming to a whole other level. ...looking at the old mutt lying on the rug beside him "Hear that Lord Vaprak? We're going on a quest!"

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 8th August 2013, 21:14

I'd actually thought about this even with the unidentified scrolls in early game. A scroll labeled with a nonsensical adj. noun verb phrase would be more amusing and interesting than one labeled qwertyui sdfghjk.

Like scroll of:
Well-fed sky murder.
Warm lift hearing.
Disgusting profit delegation.
etc.

Would both stand a chance of being a laugh in early game and in lore/feel be better than somehow reading something that is labelled in some indecipherable language. Explained away as the magicians that wrote the schools were crazy and the label has some relation to what the scroll was used for, kind of... in the mind of the person that wrote it.

Similarly either nonsense phrases or randomized phrases related to the brands/effects would be much better.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 09:50

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 20:25

Igxfl wrote:
  Code:
3758 | D:5 | Identified the +6/+7 demon whip 'Portalquaffer', the Wails of Hubris. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is made from finely tanned death yak leather. The leather is inscribed with images of pain and torment. It bristles with tourmaline spikes of electricity resistance. It is studded with fine zircon gems of see invisible. The handle is decorated with orb spider silk. It portrays the slaying of Zippy the Deep Dwarf Necromancer by a two-headed ogre on the turn 6892. The two-headed ogre is hitting Zippy with a giant spiked club and hitting Zippy with a giant spiked club. Zippy looks as though that really hurt. The design is outlined in spikes of transparent sky beast bone.

Wow, that was marvelous!
Is that in the trunk? If not why not? Having those elaborate descriptions for randarts would make me very happy.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 20:32

Marbit wrote:
Igxfl wrote:
  Code:

Wow, that was marvelous!
Is that in the trunk? If not why not? Having those elaborate descriptions for randarts would make me very happy.

It's not in trunk, it's a takeoff of the insane amount of detail that Dwarf Fortress provides when describing items.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 21:01

Can we produce something like that? Hopefully it wont be obtrusive if it is only made for randarts and it will make them awesome.

For a start I'd suggest having something like.

Code:
The [weapon] [random name], [random title]. It is made of [appropiate random material]. [random description for ego 1], [random description for ego 2]... [random description for ego n]. It portraits [random scene of character's death / feat by a unique].

Granted that it would require a lot of text. Getting ten different descriptions for each brand would require at least two hundred different lines and that is just the brands. Also I don't know if it would be hard to code.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 06:59

Marbit wrote:Can we produce something like that? Hopefully it wont be obtrusive if it is only made for randarts and it will make them awesome.

For a start I'd suggest having something like.

Code:
The [weapon] [random name], [random title]. It is made of [appropiate random material]. [random description for ego 1], [random description for ego 2]... [random description for ego n]. It portraits [random scene of character's death / feat by a unique].

Granted that it would require a lot of text. Getting ten different descriptions for each brand would require at least two hundred different lines and that is just the brands. Also I don't know if it would be hard to code.

Maybe not the part about it portraying a scene. How many people would make weapons portraying a specific scene, much less one that may have happened 15 minutes ago?

Return to Game Design Discussion