Is new tiles needed?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 25th December 2010, 21:43

Is new tiles needed?

Don't want to seem annoying, but I posted new variant of a tile (Frederick unique) on mantis and now uncertain of the result. I just want some feedback to know is there a point for me to create more tiles or I'm just not "fitting the bill".

Also, what tiles would you like to improve/change besides those mentioned in the wiki.
I for one saw today a toad zombie that looked like a bear zombie. Hmmm :?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 25th December 2010, 23:17

Re: Is new tiles needed?

The tile looks pretty cool, I like it. Thanks! :)
There's certainly a point for you to make more tiles if you like it. We always need more! Some zombie types could be added sure. There's a table on the wiki with all the zombie/skeleton/simulacrum/spectral variants. We could use more animal types. There's also this page for more urgent stuff.

Bog mummies have just been added and need a tile.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 25th December 2010, 23:31

So, you going to use my tile or it's gonna be placed on a shelf labeled "user's fan-art"? :D
BTW about zombies. "in trunk" means that there's already existing tile for that type in 0.8.? (toads for example)
Also I would like to know names of "Most tiles that look like the player doll" that drew my attention at first. Is there a way to find out that?

Anyway thanks for directions and sorry for too many questions - I'm just exited because i DO like creating tiles. Especially for this awesome game. I'll try to do more nifty tiles and see into that Bog mummy.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th December 2010, 18:10

Curio wrote:So, you going to use my tile or it's gonna be placed on a shelf labeled "user's fan-art"? :D

We tend to grab anything that strikes us as an improvement, and yours certainly count. Thanks! :)

BTW about zombies. "in trunk" means that there's already existing tile for that type in 0.8.? (toads for example)

Er, that page probably needs to be updated. It's been how long since they were added? 0.6? 0.7?

Also I would like to know names of "Most tiles that look like the player doll" that drew my attention at first. Is there a way to find out that?

Personally, I happen to like Frederick's tile with the cool armour and pose. *sniff* But whoever suggested that uniques shouldn't look like a player doll does have a point. The difference lies mostly in the stance (symmetric, and directly facing the "camera") and equipment. Dowan and Duvessa were both originally built using the doll editor, but their equipment (and stance, in Duvessa's case) was subsequently tweaked, so that it's no longer possible to recreate them using the doll editor. Ilsuiw is also based on the Merfolk doll, as are all Merfolk monsters, so those might be candidates for tweaking as well. (Note that Ilsuiw, mermaids and sirens got their underwear recoloured and a special hair-do, so I don't consider any of them as actually problematic.

So, to summarise, I don't think any of the unique tiles are problematic because of being dolls-look-alikes, but if you want you could try your hand at recreating the merfolk monsters, and some uniques could stand improvement in general, especially Maurice.

Thanks!
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 26th December 2010, 19:00

We tend to grab anything that strikes us as an improvement, and yours certainly count. Thanks! :)

Good to know! I'm just confused how mantis works. Frederick tile issue wasn't addressed yet, so I don't know is there something wrong with a tile or not. For example I concerned that his "weapon-wielding" variant will not carry weapon properly. I don't know how to check this. :roll:

Er, that page probably needs to be updated. It's been how long since they were added? 0.6? 0.7?

I think toads wasn't added yet. Or I just made a new tile for toad-zombie for no apparent need in that :)

Personally, I happen to like Frederick's tile with the cool armour and pose. *sniff* But whoever suggested that uniques shouldn't look like a player doll does have a point. The difference lies mostly in the stance (symmetric, and directly facing the "camera") and equipment.

I suppose they must be called "uniques" for a reason :D

Dowan and Duvessa were both originally built using the doll editor, but their equipment (and stance, in Duvessa's case) was subsequently tweaked, so that it's no longer possible to recreate them using the doll editor.

They definitely stand out from the crowd and personally I think that they very well-made.

Ilsuiw is also based on the Merfolk doll, as are all Merfolk monsters, so those might be candidates for tweaking as well. (Note that Ilsuiw, mermaids and sirens got their underwear recoloured and a special hair-do, so I don't consider any of them as actually problematic.

I'm never been in Shoals...yet :roll: But from what Gretell showed me Ilsuiw can use some improvement ;)

So, to summarise, I don't think any of the unique tiles are problematic because of being dolls-look-alikes, but if you want you could try your hand at recreating the merfolk monsters, and some uniques could stand improvement in general, especially Maurice.

Agrh! Maurice! I spotted him long ago as pretty unfitting. Beside the point of "unblurring" him as mentioned in the wiki I think his cape should be shortened so he would look more like a thief and less like a floating/dragging cloak with a sack.
The problem is i can't find his tile in player.png file to start modifying. :?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th December 2010, 19:33

Curio wrote:Frederick tile issue wasn't addressed yet, so I don't know is there something wrong with a tile or not. For example I concerned that his "weapon-wielding" variant will not carry weapon properly. I don't know how to check this. :roll:

Hey, cut us some slack, some us off are busy spending Xmas time with our families and stuff, after all. :roll:

*checking* Looks good.

You can simply create Frederick in wizard mode (&M) and check whether the weapon is floating around weirdly, or whether it looks like it's actually being held. If you compile the game yourself, you can also play around with get_weapon_offset() in tilemcache.cc, but the shift usually only concerns one or two pixels, which are usually easy to change in the tile itself, too. (Or you can leave that to us, it's not a big deal.)

I think toads wasn't added yet. Or I just made a new tile for toad-zombie for no apparent need in that :)

No, they're not in yet. Wasn't your reason for adding them that you encountered one looking like a bear, or was that in 0.7? The wiki list is just not very specific, shoving all quadrupeds together into two small groups. Mind, this was a huge improvement at the time!

Agrh! Maurice! I spotted him long ago as pretty unfitting. Beside the point of "unblurring" him as mentioned in the wiki I think his cape should be shortened so he would look more like a thief and less like a floating/dragging cloak with a sack.
The problem is i can't find his tile in player.png file to start modifying. :?

Why, the sneaking thief! ;)

You can find him among the human uniques, right between Maude and Nikola. (Unique tiles are sorted alphabetically.) Go ahead and draw a new tile! My creation certainly failed my own low standards. Unfortunately, since no one else ever bothered to draw a better one we had to keep it.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 26th December 2010, 20:34

No, they're not in yet. Wasn't your reason for adding them that you encountered one looking like a bear, or was that in 0.7? The wiki list is just not very specific, shoving all quadrupeds together into two small groups. Mind, this was a huge improvement at the time!

I'm playing 0.7 right now. Don't tried 0.8 yet. Don't want to spoil all the fun i'll get from the finished version :)

You can find him among the human uniques, right between Maude and Nikola. (Unique tiles are sorted alphabetically.) Go ahead and draw a new tile! My creation certainly failed my own low standards. Unfortunately, since no one else ever bothered to draw a better one we had to keep it.

Ah. Found him. Added to my to-do list.
I didn't realize it was your creation. Sorry if I offended you in any way in a previous post :roll:

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 28th December 2010, 00:55

Here's an unfinished Maurice tile I was making a while back but was unsatisfied with. You can use it to base a derivative Maurice from or something; personally I don't really like how it turned out.
Attachments
maurice.png
Maurice WNIP
maurice.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 2600 times

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th December 2010, 05:43

Thanks. I'll see what I can do :)

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 18:51

Curio wrote:from what Gretell showed me Ilsuiw can use some improvement ;)

And she had some improvement. But right now, lingers under consideration.
As KiloByte stated, her hair unrealistic for water creature.
Personally, I think, Crawl, with it's Death Yaks, Curse Toes, Killer Clowns etc. etc. can handle one overly hairy witch :)
What do you think?

Return to Game Design Discussion