Deck of Dungeons

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 02:16

Deck of Dungeons

How do you use deck of dungeons? Do you triple draw legendary decks (for Dowsing/Trowel) and ignore plain/ornate ones?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 02:27

Re: Deck of Dungeons

I stack them, and use them infrequently for the needed effect.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 14:37

I incidentally discovered another use of the deck in vaults. Trowel created a hostile orange crystal statue and friendly crystal golem, I used cBlink to escape and then that golem killed a whole group of orcs/centaurs.
Wiki says the statue counts for experience so perhaps I should continue using this tactic.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 15:18

Water is also great if you have some way to swim or fly. You can also use some source of fire to get improvised steam 'fog' to cover an escape or some source of confusion to make monsters step into deep water and drown. Used in a relatively narrow corridor you can block off pursuing monsters (though you definitely want to have some way to swim/fly/blink in this case, as you could just as easily cut off your escape route.) Of course your Felid probably doesn't have too many problems with running away (I tried playing them a few times and their speed is really, really nice.)

I don't really recommend Minefield. I used that in Elf:3 and it created a bunch of Zot traps. Was very annoying and almost got me killed.

For this message the author Jarlyk has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 15:23

Yes, Minefield is really bad

25058 | D:10 | You fall through a shaft!

It really should be in punishment deck, I don't know how it can be useful provided it can create ZoT traps.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 09:08

It can also create portals to Bazaars, Treasure Troves, and Zigs, each of which can be useful (or at least desirable).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 14:11

I think it's time for a few new cards. Last ones were Mercenary and the adjustment to Trowel, right?

IIRC, the intent of the decks was to have additional cards added eventually.

Some basic ideas...
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 14:28

Confidence Interval wrote:It can also create portals to Bazaars, Treasure Troves, and Zigs, each of which can be useful (or at least desirable).

Yes, I created a labyrinth with Trowel card. But it should be a legendary deck.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 15:18

There are a lot of ways to use these, but what I prefer to do is something like this:
Plain/ornate: spam for piety, NOT on the level you are currently exploring. It is relatively easy to get rid of a lot of decks of dungeons this way, as you do not need to care about having a free tile underneath you (it can be stairs or water or whatever).

Legendary: single draw until trowel, not on the current level - ideally this is on a tile next to a staircase that has no features on it. If all tiles adjacent to the staircase are exhausted by water/features, just go to another staircase.

Once trowel stops giving portals, you should probably turn dungeons sacrificing off and only use them for piety. However, if you like, legendary water can be stacked to drown monsters that can be drowned, and there are some notable ones that you may want to drown (the royal jelly, hell sentinels, v:$, tomb mummies, some zig level, etc.). This can be somewhat unreliable and does not really credit you with the kill, so if you wanted xp or something you may not want to do that.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 15:24

mikee wrote:There are a lot of ways to use these, but what I prefer to do is something like this:
Plain/ornate: spam for piety, NOT on the level you are currently exploring. It is relatively easy to get rid of a lot of decks of dungeons this way, as you do not need to care about having a free tile underneath you (it can be stairs or water or whatever).

Legendary: single draw until trowel, not on the current level - ideally this is on a tile next to a staircase that has no features on it. If all tiles adjacent to the staircase are exhausted by water/features, just go to another staircase.

Once trowel stops giving portals, you should probably turn dungeons sacrificing off and only use them for piety. However, if you like, legendary water can be stacked to drown monsters that can be drowned, and there are some notable ones that you may want to drown (the royal jelly, hell sentinels, v:$, tomb mummies, some zig level, etc.). This can be somewhat unreliable and does not really credit you with the kill, so if you wanted xp or something you may not want to do that.

Thank you, very good ideas.
I tried spamming the decks for piety but I wasn't near stairs (very logical, how did I miss it) so I had some hard escapes from statues and even got shafted once.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st November 2013, 03:46

Deck of Dungeons card

Transpose or Rotate or Cycle

Rotates an expanse of dungeon in view 90 degrees either clockwise or counter-clockwise (decision to be made either randomly or by developers).
Living creatures will not be transposed; they will instead be either crushed or moved out of the way, in the same manner how Abyss works.

Plain deck transposes 2 squares range from character and will not transpose immovable.
Ornate deck will transpose 4 squares range from character and will transpose immovable.
Legendary deck will transpose all squares in view.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice