New Crawler, Assistance Needed

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 22:52

New Crawler, Assistance Needed

Just found out about the game and it looks great. I could definitely use some assistance though with the following

- I'd like to play just single player with the newest version that is stable and polished, which version of the game should I get and where can I download it?

- I read in a review that the game has been getting many additions in recent years that simplify gameplay, if I want the core/true experience without any handholding via mechanics, what do I need to add or disable when I download the game?

- Is the game self explanatory with regards to installation and setup? Any tips in this regard?

- Speaking of tips, any other information a brand new player would benefit from?

Thanks for any assistance, and cheers

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:03

Re: New Crawler, Assistance Needed

AzuredreamsXT wrote:Just found out about the game and it looks great. I could definitely use some assistance though with the following

- I'd like to play just single player with the newest version that is stable and polished, which version of the game should I get and where can I download it?

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads

AzuredreamsXT wrote: - I read in a review that the game has been getting many additions in recent years that simplify gameplay, if I want the core/true experience without any handholding via mechanics, what do I need to add or disable when I download the game?

Afaik nothing, the "simplifying" that was referred to is just taking out extra mechanical steps that didn't add anything to game play.
AzuredreamsXT wrote: - Is the game self explanatory with regards to installation and setup? Any tips in this regard?

The installer does it's thing with no real need for interaction. There is a tutorial which gives a quick playable intro into the basics, help is "?" There is an options file which you may feel you want to fiddle around with later, but the default settings are just fine.
AzuredreamsXT wrote: - Speaking of tips, any other information a brand new player would benefit from?

There's lots of different ways to play the game, don't be afraid to die lots, and experiment. As specific character questions in the YAVP/YASD/CIP forum. Dump your character info with "#" and paste it into the forums surrounded by code tags with questions.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:08

I don't understand what you mean with "handholding via mechanics", but in respect to the other points, I'd recommend to just play online via telnet or ssh (or webtiles, if that's your thing).

I think the two most important pieces of advice for new players are:

- In the beginning put all your XP into your one most important means of offence, be it melee, ranged or magic.

- If you encounter a foe, in almost all cases, your first impuls should be to step back. Let them come to you. Or retreat, if they're too strong.

Otherwise pick whatever fascinates you most and experiment with it. You will die. A lot. There's a crawl proverb: "Dying is fun."

Welcome!
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:18

I read in a review that the game has been getting many additions in recent years that simplify gameplay, if I want the core/true experience without any handholding via mechanics, what do I need to add or disable when I download the game?

The changes aren't meant to make the game easier, they're meant to get rid of stuff that nobody likes. For example, contaminated food had a chance to make you sick, preventing health restoration (and sometimes temporarily lowering stats) until it wore off. So players just waited it out. This was annoying, so they replaced with nausea, which makes you unable to eat more unless you cure it or were starving. This was better, but still annoying. They finally just made contaminated chunks give less nutrition, because food is really only there to push you onwards, not something you want to spend a lot of time on.

Besides, play a few times and you won't worry about it being too easy.

Is the game self explanatory with regards to installation and setup? Any tips in this regard?

If you're not playing online, there's a zip and an install. Seriously basic stuff.

Speaking of tips, any other information a brand new player would benefit from?

There's the entire forum. Way too much to summarize here.

Happy dying.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:20

Haha yea I embraced the losing is fun mantra when I was learning Dwarf Fortress. I'm psyched this game has a tiled version, does it run much slower than the non-tiled version?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:26

AzuredreamsXT wrote:Haha yea I embraced the losing is fun mantra when I was learning Dwarf Fortress. I'm psyched this game has a tiled version, does it run much slower than the non-tiled version?

download both using the zip files, keep them in the same place (you'll have to rename crawl.exe from one of them to crawl-tiles.exe, crawl-console.exe or such).

Then see how they run. It would be a much more meaningful answer than what anybody could give you over the internet.

That said, the local tiles version runs lightning-fast for me. The online tiles, not so much, so I play online console.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 7th July 2013, 01:44

- Speaking of tips, any other information a brand new player would benefit from?

Assume every death is your fault (it is) and learn from every death.

When you see an enemy, your next action should almost never be to step toward the enemy.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 7th July 2013, 02:10

Don't read the wiki.
Pay attention to turns and what happens on each turn.
When you take damage, try to determine if there was a way to take less or no damage.
Don't read the wiki.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 7th July 2013, 17:24

-Be careful
-Be careful
-Be careful

and maybe : don't play too fast, but it is contained in the previous advice...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 7th July 2013, 17:35

mikee wrote:Don't read the wiki. x2

Read the wiki.
Read the wiki.
Dont trust the wiki.
Even with TabO alone Tiles player get a feeling of Console.
There is no mouse in crawl;
Hit ?? ingame!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 7th July 2013, 22:23

kekekela is my in-game name

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice