Crafty bastards

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 06:03

Crafty bastards

So are enemies hiding around corners a lot more in recent versions or am I just worshipping Ash more?

or maybe ``clustering illusion`` :roll:
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 08:47

Re: Crafty bastards

I got the same feeling.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 15:15

If you don't think clustering illusion is a real thing, and you're playing roguelikes.........

Maybe you should stop? Before you go mad?

(seriously, clustering illusion is a real problem that is especially apparent in procedurally generated games. A good PRNG has an equal probability of generating any given sequence of numbers, including sequences that result in outcomes the player thinks of as very unlikely. The result is often making up mechanics-based explanations for seeming gameplay trends when the actual answer is 'because that was what the RNG said')

Personally, my experience of enemy AI and positioning has not changed. OTOH I could accurately be accused of playing trunk.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 17:42

savageorange wrote:If you don't think clustering illusion is a real thing, and you're playing roguelikes.........

Maybe you should stop? Before you go mad?

(seriously, clustering illusion is a real problem that is especially apparent in procedurally generated games. A good PRNG has an equal probability of generating any given sequence of numbers, including sequences that result in outcomes the player thinks of as very unlikely. The result is often making up mechanics-based explanations for seeming gameplay trends when the actual answer is 'because that was what the RNG said')

People tend to blame clustering illusions on silly things. I never said they didnt exist.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice