Stopping Searing Ray

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 04:25

Stopping Searing Ray

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have but one simple thing to ask: how do you stop searing ray? If I wanted to wait one turn while casting it, can I do so without spending the extra point or two of MP?

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 05:01

Re: Stopping Searing Ray

The ray stops if you do anything other than 'wait a turn',. Including moving, casting magic dart, dropping your +1000+1000 handaxe of dpeg, etc. Once you stop it as such, it starts over at standard power if you choose to re-cast it again.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 06:17

Klown wrote:The ray stops if you do anything other than 'wait a turn',. Including moving, casting magic dart, dropping your +1000+1000 handaxe of dpeg, etc. Once you stop it as such, it starts over at standard power if you choose to re-cast it again.

Yes, that's great, but what if I want to stop without doing anything else, without moving, &.?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 06:38

Unwield or wield an item. Drop an item. Throw an item. Pick up an item. Attack an empty square (press * then the direction). There are a lot of options.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 07:42

duvessa wrote:Unwield or wield an item. Drop an item. Throw an item. Pick up an item. Attack an empty square (press * then the direction). There are a lot of options.

What if I'm in the middle of combat and don't want to unwield my weapon? No items I don't need at the moment. Nothing to pick up. Surrounded?

I'm guessing by the responses that there is no way to stop searing ray without doing some action. Shouldn't this be fixed? It's true that most of the time you don't need to wait a turn and stop searing ray, but I'm sure I can come up with plenty of situations where that's exactly what I want to do, yet there's no way to do it?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 07:44

darkfeline wrote:
duvessa wrote:Unwield or wield an item. Drop an item. Throw an item. Pick up an item. Attack an empty square (press * then the direction). There are a lot of options.

What if I'm in the middle of combat and don't want to unwield my weapon?

Then wield it again afterwards. It adds up to the same amount of time as if you skipped the turn.

Or, since you're in the middle of combat, just attack with the darned thing!

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:09

Hurkyl wrote:Then wield it again afterwards. It adds up to the same amount of time as if you skipped the turn.

Or, since you're in the middle of combat, just attack with the darned thing!

What if you're wielding a cursed weapon? What if your attack delay for that weapon is too high? Sorry if I'm OCD, but this keeps bugging me.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:24

I'm sorry but that sounds like "What if I want to do a thing nobody will ever do unless under super-rare circumstances" and when I say super-rare I mean really, REALLY SUPER RARE.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:25

I haven't tried it just yet, but how about trying to cast a spell or use an ability that you don't have?
Or, with that cursed weapon, read a scroll of RC.
Since you're in the middle of combat, cast another spell. Blink, IMB, etc.

Or simply shout.

For this message the author Tristian has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:27

Or command your imaginary friends to attack something.

For this message the author MDvedh has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:29

Tristian wrote:I haven't tried it just yet, but how about trying to cast a spell or use an ability that you don't have?
Or, with that cursed weapon, read a scroll of RC.
Since you're in the middle of combat, cast another spell. Blink, IMB, etc.

Or simply shout.

Shouting makes noise. I just want to wait a turn while stopping searing ray.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:33

Why? When a enemy is in Los and you can actually do something do nothing is usually worse - even retreating to an explored area is usually a much better choice
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:45

nago wrote:Why? When a enemy is in Los and you can actually do something do nothing is usually worse - even retreating to an explored area is usually a much better choice

Waiting for the perfect prism/cloud setup? You're backed into a dead end, you have just enough MP left for a freezing cloud, cursed big weapon with 0 skill, don't want to shout to attract attention, no escape options, you casted ray, but see more enemies. You want to kill all of them with one cloud, so you want to wait one turn for all of them to move into range. Continuing with ray leaves you without enough MP.

Again, I know I'm being a bit anal, but it truly bugs me that you have to do *something* to stop the ray.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:58

darkfeline wrote:
nago wrote:Why? When a enemy is in Los and you can actually do something do nothing is usually worse - even retreating to an explored area is usually a much better choice

Waiting for the perfect prism/cloud setup? You're backed into a dead end, you have just enough MP left for a freezing cloud, cursed big weapon with 0 skill, don't want to shout to attract attention, no escape options, you casted ray, but see more enemies. You want to kill all of them with one cloud, so you want to wait one turn for all of them to move into range.
and all your worn jewellery is cursed and there are no other items in your inventory and you have no abilities and there are no items under you. Yeah that happens to me all the time, its totally unfair.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Klown, MyOtheHedgeFox, rebthor

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 08:59

Try to auto-explore. The fact that enemies are present will stop you from moving.
So it should be an action that doesn't cost any time.

*EDIT*
duvessa wrote:and all your worn jewellery is cursed and there are no other items in your inventory and you have no abilities and there are no items under you. Yeah that happens to me all the time, its totally unfair.

:lol:

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 09:17

Tristian wrote:Try to auto-explore. The fact that enemies are present will stop you from moving.
So it should be an action that doesn't cost any time.

That doesn't break Ray though. You have to actually *do* something.

Instead of cursed jewelry, how about having rings of strength that would burden you if you took them off, or rings of fire res where you'd likely die a turn early if you took them off?

And even in cases where there IS some cheap action that you can take, why are you forced to figure out a way to stop searing ray? It shouldn't be a puzzle to stop the spell, I don't think that goes with DCSS philosophy. This isn't I Wanna Be the Guy, right?

I suggest an ability like Stop Casting when you have the Ray status effect; is that too much to ask?

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 11:00

We could probably allow mummy to eat rotting chunks of vampire mosquitoes while hasted and slowed simultaneously unless exhaust but why?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 11:36

@darkfeline:

And exactly why is this so important?

You know from the start that waiting doesn't end it, precisely because waiting keeps the ray in place.

You refuse to use any workaround. You say we have to picture a circumstance where your weapon is cursed AND there's no item you don't need right now.

I say that can't happen.

If your weapon is cursed against your will and you have scrolls of remove curse, well, use one and get rid of the curse. If you don't have or don't want to use a scroll of remove curse, chances are there are weapons or ammo in your inventory you aren't going to use right now. Drop an arrow, or whatever, or the crappiest of weapons.

If your weapon is voluntarily cursed, chances are you have other items you are unwilling or unable to use right now. Drop the crappiest of them. Or just drop that choko.

Or, you know, go to GDD and post a straightforward thread suggesting an (a)bility that (s)tops the searing ray.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 18:40

The solutions to waiting one turn and stopping searing ray ARE awkward, and ideally it shouldn't work that way, so darkfeline's complaint is valid. However, like everyone said, needing to wait one turn is so extremely rare that it doesn't matter. An ability to stop it is fine though I think.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 18:49

darkfeline wrote: It shouldn't be a puzzle to stop the spell, I don't think that goes with DCSS philosophy.

Invisibility spell cannot be stopped (evoked Invisibility can), Flight spell cannot be stopped (evoked Flight can), Passwall cannot be stopped... Searing Ray is a spell too so we actually should be thankful to developers that we can stop the spell by doing some action :)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 18:50

The solution is to throw something at it.

If you're gonna tell me you're in a situation where all your jewellery is cursed, you have no potions, no food, no ammo, no unequipped anything, no weapons and no uncursed equipment equipped and you want to end searing ray while surrounded by enemies without anything on your current tile to do the optimal scenario of two spells then I'm afraid you're going to die very badly in such a situation. Both of starvation and of the enemies.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 19:37

Psiweapon wrote:Or, you know, go to GDD and post a straightforward thread suggesting an (a)bility that (s)tops the searing ray.

Yes, I think I'll do that. I thought there WAS a way to do that and I was just stupid, but it's apparent from this thread that there is in fact no way to stop ray without doing something.

Sandman25 wrote:Invisibility spell cannot be stopped (evoked Invisibility can), Flight spell cannot be stopped (evoked Flight can), Passwall cannot be stopped... Searing Ray is a spell too so we actually should be thankful to developers that we can stop the spell by doing some action :)

If searing ray wasn't designed to be stopped, then it'd just be a 4 auts spell without the option to do something else to stop it. As it is, you CAN stop it precisely because it was designed to be able to be stopped, it's just you HAVE to do something else to do so.

Imagine a wizard channeling a spell that he can stop channeling by walking around or eating something or grabbing something off the floor, but he JUST CAN'T STOP CASTING otherwise. It's kinda ridiculous.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 22:01

Wouldn't 'p' stop it without taking any undesired action?
kekekela is my in-game name

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 22:32

battaile wrote:Wouldn't 'p' stop it without taking any undesired action?

Why not take half a minute to try it out before posting? I went to wizard mode just now to test it, no dice. Also doesn't work if you have a praying religion or you're on an altar, etc.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 22:32

darkfeline wrote:
battaile wrote:Wouldn't 'p' stop it without taking any undesired action?

Why not take half a minute to try it out before posting? I went to wizard mode just now to test it, no dice. Also doesn't work if you have a praying religion or you're on an altar, etc.

Because I don't have a local build so I don't have wizard mode. How about not being a cunt about it?
kekekela is my in-game name

For this message the author battaile has received thanks: 2
Psiweapon, Tristian

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 22:39

battaile wrote:Because I don't have a local build so I don't have wizard mode. How about not being a cunt about it?

Ah, sorry, that is a valid reason I suppose. But calm down, seriously. Calling someone a cunt because they asked why you didn't test that what you suggested doesn't actually work is going overboard, don't you think?

For this message the author darkfeline has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 14:29

As others have mentioned, the case where you are in a situation where you have been casting Searing Ray, and you want to stop casting it before getting to the good parts of the effect, and literally every other action you could perform will make your situation worse might come up once in about one hundred million games. Maybe fewer.

In a marginally larger subset of games, it will be the case that there are no actions you can take which will actively improve your situation, and yet you really can't spare that extra point of MP. In this subset, maybe it would make sense to have an (a)bility to stop casting so you don't need to take a junk action, but can you really say with a straight face that this is worth any developer's time?

Of course, there's also the question: why did you cast Searing Ray when you knew you didn't have enough mana to spare to cast it enough times to get the good effects? These are the cases where Magic Dart is the right choice.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 16:31

darkfeline wrote:Waiting for the perfect prism/cloud setup? You're backed into a dead end, you have just enough MP left for a freezing cloud, cursed big weapon with 0 skill, don't want to shout to attract attention, no escape options, you casted ray, but see more enemies. You want to kill all of them with one cloud, so you want to wait one turn for all of them to move into range. Continuing with ray leaves you without enough MP.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 16:34

Lasty wrote:Of course, there's also the question: why did you cast Searing Ray when you knew you didn't have enough mana to spare to cast it enough times to get the good effects? These are the cases where Magic Dart is the right choice.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 16:58

Why are you quoting something that is still visible without even needing to scroll? I was just trying to answer Lastys question. He asked why did OP cast ray when he knew he didnt have enough mp to achieve the full effect, but that was not in fact what happened at all(from what i can understand). So i quoted the post where the OP explained this. Man people are just nasty around here. I was honestly just trying to be helpful.

*edit* where he says "you casted ray" i take that as the past tense. ie he did have the mp for the full effect, but halfway through saw an opportunity for a more effective action(frz cloud). so he wasnt casting ray without enough mana. thats all i was trying to point out. my sincere apologies for not having a high enough post count to be taken seriously.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 17:35

The character deserves to die because he is wielding "cursed big weapon with 0 skill". I hope it was not Triple Sword :)

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 18:19

Haha agreed. I dont think anyone can say the character didnt deserve to die, however there does appear to be a legitimate "bug" here. I just think that the right thing to do would be to say "ok darkfeline, we see what youre trying to say here and you have a point, its a bug. unfortunatly its not a big enough bug to be worth our time to fix. thanks for pointing it out." instead everyone is saying "omgwtfbbq! the situation that has to happen to produce this bug is so rare that you are foolish to even complain about it" well fine thats your prerogative, but as a programmer myself i think its not wise to spit in the face of someone who points out a bug in your code. everyone is always talking about flavor flavor flavor, but wheres the flavor in being able to stop a ray mid-cast by throwing a snozcumber on the ground but not with your mind or a word or w/e? just sayin..

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 18:37

variouselite wrote:Haha agreed. I dont think anyone can say the character didnt deserve to die, however there does appear to be a legitimate "bug" here. I just think that the right thing to do would be to say "ok darkfeline, we see what youre trying to say here and you have a point, its a bug. unfortunatly its not a big enough bug to be worth our time to fix. thanks for pointing it out." instead everyone is saying "omgwtfbbq! the situation that has to happen to produce this bug is so rare that you are foolish to even complain about it" well fine thats your prerogative, but as a programmer myself i think its not wise to spit in the face of someone who points out a bug in your code. everyone is always talking about flavor flavor flavor, but wheres the flavor in being able to stop a ray mid-cast by throwing a snozcumber on the ground but not with your mind or a word or w/e? just sayin..

Thanks for seeing my point variouselite. Again I apologize for being OCD. As a programmer I'd think such a fix wouldn't take a lot of effort, but I guess I shouldn't make that assumption without looking at the code myself.

Lasty wrote:As others have mentioned, the case where you are in a situation where you have been casting Searing Ray, and you want to stop casting it before getting to the good parts of the effect, and literally every other action you could perform will make your situation worse might come up once in about one hundred million games. Maybe fewer.

In a marginally larger subset of games, it will be the case that there are no actions you can take which will actively improve your situation, and yet you really can't spare that extra point of MP. In this subset, maybe it would make sense to have an (a)bility to stop casting so you don't need to take a junk action, but can you really say with a straight face that this is worth any developer's time?

Of course, there's also the question: why did you cast Searing Ray when you knew you didn't have enough mana to spare to cast it enough times to get the good effects? These are the cases where Magic Dart is the right choice.

There is another reason that I'm suggesting this addition (Stop Casting ability), is that it sets a good precedent for future channeling spells, that 1) either cost significantly more MP and/or 2) do not break channeling on movement, both of which I think can be incorporated into interesting and useful spells.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 18:52

variouselite, this isn't describing a bug. It's asking for new functionality. The functionality has a very rare use case, and when implemented it would give a very slightly cleaner interface to do something that is already achievable. The point I raised is that such an small improvement to an incredibly rare situation isn't really worth a dev's time. I imagine that if you were to code up a patch for this, it would probably be accepted, but it's not a priority in any sense of the word.

As for your quoted description of one of the incredibly rare scenarios of a case where this would be slightly cleaner than having to take a useless action, it assumes a lot:

* The player is cornered, but does not wish to take actions to become uncornered.
* The player has somehow lost or discarded all escape options.
* The player has cursed all of their jewelry and their weapon.
* The player's wielded weapon takes so long to swing that doing so will imperil them.
* The player is at very low mana, but has just enough to cast the cloud/prism if they do nothing else.
* The player is already casting Searing Ray, implying that they planned to intentionally cast the ray for 4 turns and could foresee that being a good choice, further implying that whatever they were fighting was too big to take down with 6 Magic Darts.
* The player now wishes to stop, implying that the thing they were fighting that was too big for 6 Magic Darts is small enough that they don't mind aborting the Searing Ray they already invested in, leaving the target likely alive, so that they can instead tossing down a freezing cloud on different monsters that they had no way to foresee would appear, thereby draining all their mana and leaving them with only the option to attack the close monster with a weapon that swings far too slowly.
* The player genuinely wishes to have time pass while they take no action.
* The player doesn't know that a forced-swing at thin air always takes 10 AUT, regardless of weapon or skill.
* The player is frustrated they they will be forced to drop a single stone or potion of restore ability or spellbook or whatever instead of using a special do-nothing ability from the (a)bility menu.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 19:57

Lasty wrote:As for your quoted description of one of the incredibly rare scenarios of a case where this would be slightly cleaner than having to take a useless action, it assumes a lot:

* The player is cornered, but does not wish to take actions to become uncornered.
* The player has somehow lost or discarded all escape options.
* The player has cursed all of their jewelry and their weapon.
* The player's wielded weapon takes so long to swing that doing so will imperil them.
* The player is at very low mana, but has just enough to cast the cloud/prism if they do nothing else.
* The player is already casting Searing Ray, implying that they planned to intentionally cast the ray for 4 turns and could foresee that being a good choice, further implying that whatever they were fighting was too big to take down with 6 Magic Darts.
* The player now wishes to stop, implying that the thing they were fighting that was too big for 6 Magic Darts is small enough that they don't mind aborting the Searing Ray they already invested in, leaving the target likely alive, so that they can instead tossing down a freezing cloud on different monsters that they had no way to foresee would appear, thereby draining all their mana and leaving them with only the option to attack the close monster with a weapon that swings far too slowly.
* The player genuinely wishes to have time pass while they take no action.
* The player doesn't know that a forced-swing at thin air always takes 10 AUT, regardless of weapon or skill.
* The player is frustrated they they will be forced to drop a single stone or potion of restore ability or spellbook or whatever instead of using a special do-nothing ability from the (a)bility menu.

Actually, that's wrong. The point isn't that it's really hard to end up in a situation where it is IMPOSSIBLE to cancel ray without doing something undesirable, it's that in each of the cases described above, the player has to find by process of elimination A way to cancel ray without doing something undesirable. An analogy would be if you read a spellbook, the only way to exit the memorize/forget interface would be to hit the number key corresponding to the number of spells in the spellbook you already know. In other words, that hassle shouldn't exist.

EDIT:
What it should be:
I want to stop channeling ray -> (a)bilities > (s)top casting

What it is now:
I want to stop channeling ray -> Is it safe to move? > Move
If not -> Is there something I can safely take off? > Take it off
If not -> Is there something I can safely drop? > Drop it
If not -> Is there something I can pick up? > Pick it up
If not ->

And so on

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 20:15

yeah you guys are just being ridiculous now. if i wasnt already fully aware of the elitism of this community i would be offended/feel bad for you but as things stand its actually just amusing. i cant believe such a simple situation such as this has got so many people butt-hurt. it is a bug(or at least it is a legitimate lack of functionality). just because it was originally assumed that throwing fruit on the ground or sneezing or w/e would be a reasonable way to interrupt a multi-phase channeling spell so you didnt think youd have to add in a "stop channeling" ability is not a good reason to be rude and condescending while desperately trying to prove that the people pointing out to you the lack of functionality are wrong. sorry its just not. we are NOT COMPLAINING. we are simply pointing it out to you in a very reasonable way. we are not even insisting it be changed or fixed..

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 21:24

@darkfeline, I never contradicted that it would be cleaner to have a single ability that would achieve the stop channeling effect for the rare cases where it would be used.

@variouselite, I'm not really sure what you're responding to. It sounds like you feel persecuted by the responses you've received, but even after rereading them, I don't see why. If you think I'm trying to demean you, please send me a private message and we can talk it out.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 22:14

Hello friend,

If you happen to find a bug, please report it at the following website:

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/main_page.php

You will then want to click the "Report Issue" link near the top of this page. Then you will fill out the form with as much detail on the bug as you can. You will want to choose "MAJOR" as the severity. One of our fantastic members of the development team will then look at your case.

Thank you for playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and being part of our community!

With love and kind regards,

NOPE

For this message the author NOPE has received thanks: 6
archaeo, battaile, dck, duvessa, nago, rebthor

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 23:17

Lasty wrote:* The player doesn't know that a forced-swing at thin air always takes 10 AUT, regardless of weapon or skill.

Wrong. A swing is a swing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 23:49

Lasty wrote:* The player doesn't know that a forced-swing at thin air always takes 10 AUT, regardless of weapon or skill.
This used to be true, but not anymore.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 00:20

My thought is that, if you read what Searing Ray is and you understood what you were casting, then you have to find a way to handle the situation.
And honestly, if you're a cornered caster looking to rely on those last few MP for a cloud, then you're probably boned anyways.
I'm still of the opinion that dropping items or shouting is the best course.
I think I saw somewhere in the Wiki that all actions take AUT. So you're outta luck on this one.
Even if there WAS a command to stop SR, you would have to take the time to 'think' "stop".

Failing that... I'm a new player with only one win. And I can say that if you're cornered like this... no wands, potions, scrolls OR ammo to use........ Poor planning got you here.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 06:43

NOPE wrote:Hello friend,

If you happen to find a bug, please report it at the following website:

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/main_page.php

You will then want to click the "Report Issue" link near the top of this page. Then you will fill out the form with as much detail on the bug as you can. You will want to choose "MAJOR" as the severity. One of our fantastic members of the development team will then look at your case.

Thank you for playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and being part of our community!

With love and kind regards,

NOPE

It's not a bug though per se. I've made one here (https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=7840) but I blame you, friend, if that's not where it's supposed to go =).

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 13:53

Interesting.

Darkfeline has a very good point, though I think it's a bit burried under the specifics of the situation. Searing Ray is a new category of spell - its specific mechanics are unique and different from all other spells. It uses MP each turn. It can be cancelled. There's no obvious* way to cancel it. There are many many ways to cancel it - a lot of those kind of obvious to an experienced player but a quick look through the usual screens doesn't show a way to an inexperienced player how to stop the spell.

That's a bad design choice. It's not really a problem right now though. Still I think darkfeline is right that the game would be better if there were a "Stop powering Searing Ray" ability. If other new spells with the same kind of mechanics ever show up I bet we'll see something like that...

Edit:
Here's a patch to add the stop searing ray functionality. The image need to go into rltiles/gui/abilities. I personally like second icon version better. (Edit 2. Forgot ability description.)

Code:
diff --git a/crawl-ref/source/abl-show.cc b/crawl-ref/source/abl-show.cc
index 6fba8a9..81fe4a7 100644
--- a/crawl-ref/source/abl-show.cc
+++ b/crawl-ref/source/abl-show.cc
@@ -234,6 +234,8 @@ static const ability_def Ability_List[] =
       0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ABFLAG_INSTANT},
     { ABIL_STOP_SINGING, "Stop Singing",
       0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ABFLAG_NONE},
+    { ABIL_STOP_SEARING_RAY, "Stop Searing Ray",
+      0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ABFLAG_NONE},
     { ABIL_MUMMY_RESTORATION, "Self-Restoration",
       1, 0, 0, 0, 0, ABFLAG_PERMANENT_MP},

@@ -875,6 +877,7 @@ talent get_talent(ability_type ability, bool check_confused)
     case ABIL_DELAYED_FIREBALL:
     case ABIL_MUMMY_RESTORATION:
     case ABIL_STOP_SINGING:
+    case ABIL_STOP_SEARING_RAY:
         failure = 0;
         break;

@@ -1660,6 +1663,7 @@ bool activate_talent(const talent& tal)
         case ABIL_END_TRANSFORMATION:
         case ABIL_DELAYED_FIREBALL:
         case ABIL_STOP_SINGING:
+        case ABIL_STOP_SEARING_RAY:
         case ABIL_MUMMY_RESTORATION:
         case ABIL_TRAN_BAT:
         case ABIL_BOTTLE_BLOOD:
@@ -2261,6 +2265,11 @@ static bool _do_ability(const ability_def& abil)
         mpr("You stop singing.");
         break;

+        mpr("You stop channeling your searing ray.");
+        end_searing_ray();
+        break;
+       
     case ABIL_STOP_FLYING:
         you.duration[DUR_FLIGHT] = 0;
         you.attribute[ATTR_PERM_FLIGHT] = 0;
@@ -3313,6 +3322,9 @@ vector<talent> your_talents(bool check_confused, bool include_unusable)

if (you.duration[DUR_SONG_OF_SLAYING])
         _add_talent(talents, ABIL_STOP_SINGING, check_confused);
+   
+    if (you.attribute[ ATTR_SEARING_RAY ])
+        _add_talent(talents, ABIL_STOP_SEARING_RAY, check_confused);

// Evocations from items.
     if (you.scan_artefacts(ARTP_BLINK))
diff --git a/crawl-ref/source/dat/descript/ability.txt b/crawl-ref/source/dat/descript/ability.txt
index fb6e13f..0c64e1c 100644
--- a/crawl-ref/source/dat/descript/ability.txt
+++ b/crawl-ref/source/dat/descript/ability.txt
@@ -108,6 +108,10 @@ Stop Singing ability

Stop singing your Song of Slaying.
 %%%%
+Stop Searing Ray ability
+
+Stop channeling your Searing Ray.
+%%%%
 Self-Restoration ability

At the permanent loss of one magic point restore your Strength, Dexterity and
diff --git a/crawl-ref/source/enum.h b/crawl-ref/source/enum.h
index 9d71e41..28a0d05 100644
--- a/crawl-ref/source/enum.h
+++ b/crawl-ref/source/enum.h
@@ -58,6 +58,7 @@ enum ability_type
     ABIL_DELAYED_FIREBALL,
     ABIL_END_TRANSFORMATION,
     ABIL_STOP_SINGING, // From song of slaying
+    ABIL_STOP_SEARING_RAY,

// Species-specific abilities.
     // Demonspawn-only
diff --git a/crawl-ref/source/rltiles/dc-abilities.txt b/crawl-ref/source/rltiles/dc-abilities.txt
index 1658b26..5be6151 100644
--- a/crawl-ref/source/rltiles/dc-abilities.txt
+++ b/crawl-ref/source/rltiles/dc-abilities.txt
@@ -34,3 +34,4 @@ spit_acid ABILITY_SPIT_ACID
 spit_poison ABILITY_SPIT_POISON
 stop_recall ABILITY_STOP_RECALL
 stop_singing ABILITY_STOP_SINGING
+stop_searing_ray ABILITY_STOP_SEARING_RAY
diff --git a/crawl-ref/source/tilepick.cc b/crawl-ref/source/tilepick.cc
index e5d0fe0..e61ff7b 100644
--- a/crawl-ref/source/tilepick.cc
+++ b/crawl-ref/source/tilepick.cc
@@ -5356,6 +5356,8 @@ tileidx_t tileidx_ability(const ability_type ability)
         return TILEG_ABILITY_STOP_RECALL;
     case ABIL_STOP_SINGING:
         return TILEG_ABILITY_STOP_SINGING;
+        return TILEG_ABILITY_STOP_SEARING_RAY;

// Species-specific abilities.
     // Demonspawn-only

http://pastebin.com/HRSV6t87
http://imgur.com/pICSkOM,l0vfS6s#0

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 16:45

darkfeline wrote:I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have but one simple thing to ask: how do you stop searing ray?

This whole thread rather misses the point. Ray is quite tough and stringy, so searing him isn't going to give a very good piece of meat. You probably want to use wet heat, low and slow; give him several hours and he'll be fork-tender and delicious. You'll want to spice him pretty heavily and probably add some root veggies to stew with him.

Tiamat, on the other hand -- yeah, get your pan smoking hot, add some sea salt, and sear her maybe 6-8 minutes a side. That's some good eating.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice