Something something Religious Titles

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 5th November 2014, 02:35

Something something Religious Titles

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before (or if this is the right place to suggest it), but wouldn't it be great if, for gods that don't use invocations, your religious title would display as your actual title when your highest skill is the skill that god actually uses? So, your high end Necromancer of Kiku gets to be "Foo the Lord of Darkness" as opposed to "Foo the Elf (or whatever) of Death." Just something I was thinking about; seems like it would be simple to implement, though of course it has no serious in-game consequences.
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

For this message the author Tressol has received thanks: 6
and into, damiac, RBrandon, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Sprucery

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 00:11

Re: Something something Religious Titles

I liked this enough to get inspired.

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=9144

For this message the author RBrandon has received thanks:
Tressol

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 00:31

Cool! Is this code a functional patch? Awesome! :)

I'm glad that this thread is getting such a positive response. I think that with other gods (I guess even with Nemelex, Kiku, etc, but why would you ever do this), if your invocations is your highest skill, it displays whatever your religious title happens to be as your character title. So, if invocations is your highest skill, even if it's only 10, your title could be Champion of Chaos (if you have max piety rank with Makhelb). It's been a while, but I remember doing just that with a Hill Orc some time ago, though that was in an earlier version, so I am not sure if the way Invocations titles are handled has changed in the meantime. All that being said, I am no programmer, but I'm glad that someone felt the same way and cared enough to code something to address this. So, thanks a lot! :D
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 01:25

Yes it is functional. It's little weird in that it is based off of skill, but uses the full seven god titles, extrapolated over 27 skill levels. It may be better (also simpler) for it to just scale with piety and just check if necro/evo is highest to display the appropriate title. Some dev feedback of that flavor should appear on that mantis issue before too long. Of course all opinions are useful!

EDIT:
Aaaand it's in trunk. The version that made it in is the one that scales with piety rather than skill level. Simpler and makes more sense that way.

For this message the author RBrandon has received thanks:
and into

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 07:10

Great! This is something that's bugged me for a few versions, but I never had a forum account until a couple days ago- I'm impressed and pleased that it was adopted so quickly- thanks again for coding it up, RBrandon! :D

It would be neat if when, say, you converted from Eviolon to Kiku, your godless invocations title would display if that were your highest skill, since Necromancy would be the skill for Kiku's to display. So, you would be "Foo the Agnostic" or whatever.

Now, what do you think would be a logical skill to get your Trog religious title to display? Fighting? :p

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner