The 2012 DCSS survey results

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 16:12

The 2012 DCSS survey results

Actually, it's a blog post but while I am here, I can just as well link the full text (pdf, 37 pages).

The report is late by a year. If you're still reading it, we thank you.
The original survey got posted in various online places. We would be grateful if the same could happen to the results: if you mention the report in some other forum, please be sure to post the CDO link (the first one in this post).

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 7
and into, duvessa, evktalo, mikee, moocowmoocow, pubby, WalkerBoh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 23:59

Re: The 2012 DCSS survey results

When's the next survey? When .15 comes out?
take it easy

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 00:04

Arrhytmia: Hey, it may look as if we plan to turn this into something regular, but the impression is completely wrong :) It's a lot of work to set up and evaluate such a survey. In both runs we have received lots of interesting information and many fun facts, but I wouldn't expect very much information gain from another run in a year or so.

In other words: no next survey. (At least not from me, and I think I can speak for jpeg as well.)

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 00:34

Just curious, what were you hoping to get out of the survey? Will the results impact further development of DCSS, or was it just for curiosity?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 00:48

dpeg wrote:Arrhytmia: Hey, it may look as if we plan to turn this into something regular, but the impression is completely wrong :) It's a lot of work to set up and evaluate such a survey. In both runs we have received lots of interesting information and many fun facts, but I wouldn't expect very much information gain from another run in a year or so.

In other words: no next survey. (At least not from me, and I think I can speak for jpeg as well.)

Awwwwww :cry:

What the fuck, I was totally excited that the results on the survey finally came out, and I am immensely enjoying reading it. Somehow it brings an unprecedented sense of closure and fulfillment. It also allows me to reflect on how bad I was at playing crawl back in the day, and how bad I am at playing crawl nowadays - I.E., I hadn't ever ascended when I filled the survey, since then I have ascended exactly once, and only recently. Which bears mentioning: The closest I got to winning before actually doing so, was getting killed on D:1 within sight of an exit while carrying the orb, by a hell sentinel (minotaur fighter)

Oh, I also got you to mention Mage Guild in the PDF :mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
That game needs more love, and a new version is in the making, with some new graphics by yours truly.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 01:05

I don't remember what I answered.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 01:09

76% of players play tiles, and 76% of players haven't won yet.

Mysterious.

For this message the author One-Eyed Jack has received thanks:
duvessa

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 01:28

XuaXua wrote:I don't remember what I answered.

As long as you put "Yes" for sex that's the main thing they look for on these things.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 05:48

go team numpad
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 10:19

WalkerBoh wrote:Just curious, what were you hoping to get out of the survey? Will the results impact further development of DCSS, or was it just for curiosity?
This was not intended as a scientific study to answer some pressing questions on a particular demographic slice :) (Also, neither of us is competent enough to carry out such a study, we're both amateurs in the survey-world.)

I think the motivation for the second survey were threefold: 1. Correct the mistakes of the first survey (which was extremely impromptu). 2. Explicitly try to reach more players, so that we just don't get replies from the elite (hence the long running time, and the announcements within the game).

I have actually no clue if the currently active developers really read these pamphlets, but it's always fun to pretend some recent commits would bear any relation with the answers of that survey :)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner