Replace Trog Weapon Gifts with...

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 18:02

Replace Trog Weapon Gifts with...

...more space in the subject line.

This idea came to me semi-randomly after reading a few comments in that Jewel god proposal. I don't know why since it's not really related, but inspiration works in mysterious ways. Anyway, let's keep this short and sweet. There's three aspects to this proposal.

-Trog no longer gifts weapons. Ammo gifts can remain.

-When Berserking, Trog enhances your weapon for the duration of the Berserk. The strength of the enhancement depends on piety and can go above +9/+9. This includes not only the +X/+X bonuses, but also allows Trog to apply the Anti-Magic brand to the weapon. Whether this only works with unbranded weapons, temporarily replaces the brand on weapons, or adds it in addition to the weapon would depend on balance and all of that. Trog can also enhance artifact weapons. I know, they can't be changed by magic and mundane means, but there's already precedence with divine means being able to change them, such as Elyvilon-followers being able to sacrifice them.

Again, these enhancements are temporary and wear off once Berserk ends.

-While following Trog (and no other time), players can use projectile weapons while Berserking. This is the least important bit here, but I bring it up because removing weapon gifts would hurt ranged-fighters a bit without any compensation. And I also don't want to try to shoehorn Trog into a pure melee god. I think it'd be a nifty perk to allow players to furiously shoot arrows or throw javelins while being a Troglodyte. Note that evocables, potions, scrolls, and all the other things are still unable to be used under Berserk.

Unfortunately, this proposal doesn't do anything for Unarmed Troglodytes. But, on the other hand, it doesn't hurt them either. I can't think of something (good) to give them with this proposal, so I'm just going to leave them with the status quo.

The aim of this proposal is to replace a somewhat uninteresting, redundant (hi Oka!), and somewhat problematic (So long and thanks for all the loot!) mechanic with something that seems more interesting and definitely more thematic. After all, Trog is the god of RAAAAAAAGGGGEEE, not the angry guy with a cluttered attic.

Naturally, this may be an awful idea and, if so, please proceed to tear it apart. If something gets salvaged that improves the game somehow, then hey, that works for me.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 18:09

Re: Replace Trog Weapon Gifts with...

I like idea of temporary branding, it makes "get anti-magic weapon from Trog and abandon him later" problem go away. I think it should not happen during berserk but be available while you are with Trog, berserk is dangerous late game especially if you are below 6 stars piety (berserk can result in passing out).

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 21:31

My only criticism of this is that berserk is already really good. Making it marginally better with weapon enchants doesn't seem like it adds anything special to decisions you make; it just means you use berserk sliiiightly more readily.

I do like the idea of trog allowing ranged combat while berserk. That has always bugged me.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 21:42

Another idea- at max piety, EVERYTHING becomes a ranged weapon. Thrown weapons embed in walls to prevent enemies from picking them up willy nilly.

*checks board*
I'm sorry, I'll go back to CYC now.

But actually, I do like the idea of Trog buffing weapons more than just giving them. As was said though, berserk is already pretty darn good. What about if the longer you are in combat, the stronger your weapon gets? This would encourage the Trog-like behavior of not waiting to heal all the way, or to use Trogs hand to prolong your fight.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 22:38

I am not sure why you would want to remove weapon gifts, but here are some suggestions on what to replace them with:

1: Instead of Trog gifting weapons with anti-magic one of Trogs powers is that his followers attacks disrupt spellcasters like an anti-magic brand.

2: Instead of gifting weapons Trog could "gift" enchantments to the characters weapon. Basically free scrolls of ehchant/brand weapon but without the actual scrolls.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 23:14

I still don't understand why you would ever abandon Trog if you are trying to win.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
dck, Klown, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 23:37

Yeah there's at least some merit to abandoning Okawaru, sometimes, but even that is done (or talked about) way too much. Trog you just keep and get as many runes as you feel comfortable with, then win. I don't see any need to remove the gifts.

to elaborate: Trog gifts are not uninteresting. They give you very real decisions on weapon enchantment, weighing benefits now vs more benefits on and "endgame" weapon which you know you will get sometime.
They are not redundant with okawaru gifts since Okawaru gifts are much less reliable (armour gifts, piety mechanic) and much less good.
Leaving with the gifts is not a concern, as duvessay pointed out. I don't think it's a relevant concern with okawaru either, for that matter.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 03:28

What about if the longer you are in combat, the stronger your weapon gets? This would encourage the Trog-like behavior of not waiting to heal all the way, or to use Trogs hand to prolong your fight.

This could work too. I would tie it to something like kills, damage inflicted to enemies, or something else that requires the player to stay involved in combat. Tension's a bit of a shoddy mechanic, but it having to stay above a certain threshold to keep the enhancement ought to prevent people from kiting rats to keep their buffs.

rchandra wrote:to elaborate: Trog gifts are not uninteresting. They give you very real decisions on weapon enchantment, weighing benefits now vs more benefits on and "endgame" weapon which you know you will get sometime.
They are not redundant with okawaru gifts since Okawaru gifts are much less reliable (armour gifts, piety mechanic) and much less good.

You could pretty much change "Trog gifts" to "floor trash" and those two points would be just as accurate. Really, the only difference between weapon gifts and weapons found on the floor are the "God Gift" tag and a bit of weighting towards the Anti-Magic brand for Trog. In either case, you're going to be ignoring 99% of them while still making the same decisions such as "Do I enchant this now or hang onto my scrolls?"

Also, the only reason people generally don't leave Trog is because Trog has one of the nastiest wraths in the game. If it was less nasty, people would be more inclined to do it. But wrath in general is currently a bit problematic and that's a discussion outside the scope of this proposal.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 03:54

People don't leave trog because trog is one of the best gods in the game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 04:18

duvessa wrote:I still don't understand why you would ever abandon Trog if you are trying to win.

Duvessa, me and you seem to disagree on a lot of things, but this is something I'de have to agree with you on.

As for the OP, I think trog is the only god in the game that DOESN'T need to be changed or improved in some way shape or form. Sorry, but -1. :(
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
nago

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 04:24

dck wrote:People don't leave trog because trog is one of the best gods in the game.

Sometimes, I start as a berserker then later on I abandon trog to try doing something a bit different. Not exactly what you would call "optimal"(at all, really) but its mostly just for the fun of trying something new.

That being said, leaving trog for extended end-game is definitely a choice worth considering. Berserked stone giants are strong, but hasted angels are much, much better. Also, berserk is a bit more risky during extended, and not quite as useful since the danger tends to lie in specific combinations of poorly timed creature spawns, not powerful singular enemies. Although, having an amulet of rage on hand is pretty common practice for me. :P
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 04:38

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Really, the only difference between weapon gifts and weapons found on the floor are the "God Gift" tag and a bit of weighting towards the Anti-Magic brand for Trog.

uh, no? the gifts are obviously better? they also have the highest potential damage enchantment out of any items in the game...

Also, the only reason people generally don't leave Trog is because Trog has one of the nastiest wraths in the game.

no
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 09:07

mikee wrote:
Also, the only reason people generally don't leave Trog is because Trog has one of the nastiest wraths in the game.

no

The first time I saw my three (overkill, I know) BiAs beating the shit out of Lom Lobon so fast, that I struggled to get to Lom in time to give the finishing blows I realized, that berserking iron trolls/stone giants or even lousy deep trolls (at least in terms of damage output) never run out of steam.

I don't really like the proposed change because I think Trog is really one of the best gods in the game in terms of fun and in terms of design as well (berserk is an interesting mechanic) and I think this proposal would make Trog worse in that regard.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 11:48

Wrongly thanked a message
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 11:51

I think that Trog is mostly fine. There have been changes over the years (Trog used to give Might after Berserk, and once upon time there were no brothers, and no books were burned) but it's okay now. Perhaps some changes to piety (move from corpse sacrifice to kill under rage or something) but that's nowhere urgent.

When I complain about gifts, I never really mean weapons, and especially not Trog weapons (since those are special).

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 13:02

TwilightPhoenix wrote:The aim of this proposal is to replace a somewhat problematic (So long and thanks for all the loot!) mechanic

Just because we're crazy or sturdy (eg. MiBe swapping for TSO for extended) enough to do it then I can't see what's so problematic about it.
It's not like you won't occasionally get a visit by a squad of berserk giants, which is exactly as bad as it sounds if you are none of those two things.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 20:39

What, exactly, is problematic about Trog's weapon gifting system?

For this message the author bastard has received thanks:
battaile

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th November 2013, 17:23

bastard wrote:What, exactly, is problematic about Trog's weapon gifting system?

-It's very similar to Oka's weapon gifting system
-It's very similar to weapon acquirement from scrolls
-It's somewhat similar to finding a trove full of weapons
-If you squint, it kind of looks like chancing upon a good weapon on the floor

Crawl gods should have mechanics that aren't in other parts of the game, and the mechanics should change your decisions more than other parts of the game do. Weapons are in lots of other parts of the game, and Trog doesn't change how you choose your weapon. The other parts of Trog are strong enough that the weapon gifts are a side bonus and some nice flavor.

Even writing this, I'm not convinced it's a big problem worth solving. Someone else may see a different problem with Trog weapon gifts.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th November 2013, 17:47

jejorda2 wrote:Trog doesn't change how you choose your weapon

With Trog I will often go for a less common weapon category (i.e. not Maces and Flails) because I'm sure I will get a top weapon.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th November 2013, 18:19

jejorda2 wrote:

I think you are drastically undervaluing top tier anti-magic weapons and top tier high enchantment artifact weapons.
kekekela is my in-game name

For this message the author battaile has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th November 2013, 18:40

Trog gifts have a huge effect on weapon choice. Most obviously you are much more likely to choose a weapon with anti-magic, but in addition to that it completely changes weapon category balance: weapons in general become better compared to unarmed because of the better selection, axes and long blades gain more traction against maces because you actually have a decent chance of getting the biggest ones, and giant (spiked) clubs become dramatically better because you get artifact ones that actually have brands.
Ammo gifts also make ranged weapons stronger for a significant period of time; centaur and yaktaur packs don't show up routinely until after Lair, and there aren't any other reliable sources of sling bullets at all.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
earLOBe

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 29th November 2013, 19:04

Trog's artifact giant spiked clubs for Tr/Og/Fo are insanely good.
For other races I really enjoy staff-trog for the artifact lajatang gifts.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 30th November 2013, 12:50

jejorda2 wrote:

Crawl gods should have mechanics that aren't in other parts of the game, and the mechanics should change your decisions more than other parts of the game do. Weapons are in lots of other parts of the game, and Trog doesn't change how you choose your weapon. The other parts of Trog are strong enough that the weapon gifts are a side bonus and some nice flavor.

Even writing this, I'm not convinced it's a big problem worth solving. Someone else may see a different problem with Trog weapon gifts.

Three things:
If Crawl gods should have their own unique mechanics and nothing else, I can honestly say that there is a lot of work to be done on Makhleb and Lugonu.

I don't see why you post that getting weapon gifts is a lot like finding a weapon; I figured that was kind of obvious.

I cannot see why someone would pick a god purely for the gifts (Nemelex excepted, I guess?). I agree, they're definitely nice, but they remain a side bonus, as you said. I just fail to see why this is problematic. A god of anger gives his subjects instruments to kill with.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 06:48

I like the idea of making everything a weapon with Trog. It would feel so good to pummel spell casters to death with a spell book. Throwing anything would have damage based on weight. Melee would be based a bit on weight and item type.
It is all fun and games until Xom tosses you into the Abyss.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 07:34

Maynot wrote:I like the idea of making everything a weapon with Trog. It would feel so good to pummel spell casters to death with a spell book. Throwing anything would have damage based on weight. Melee would be based a bit on weight and item type.

The ability for Trog to provided branded anything... +12 / +12 Bread against Mara!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 18:55

Trog is a very strong god and, more important, a very well designed one. Dpeg is right that only the sometimes tedious problem of corpse sacrificing (a minor problem that isn't unique to Trog) is the only thing that might need some consideration and tweaking.

Also, consider this about guaranteed weapon gifting—unlike armor, every weapon Trog gives can be switched to in half a turn, so any artifacts, *regardless* of what type, that he gives with stuff like +Blink, +Fly, etc., are nearly guaranteed to be useful to his followers. (Only exceptions being if +Contam or the like also spawns on the item, or two-handed weapon given when you are using shield.) Doubly so since you aren't going to be learning and casting those spells while worshiping Trog. So that's just one more reason why Trog's gifting tends to be more meaningful and thematic / flavorful for his followers, than Oka's is to his.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 22:20

Walkerboh: Berserk ranged attacks <3 I enjoy trog over okawaru since oka requires 10,000 corpses sacrificed to get ** piety(slightly exaggerating). May be seen as too OP though. :p

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 22:23

Oka does not care much about corpses of weak monsters indeed. But it is possible to get 2 gifts after sacrificing corpse of Saint Roka, Trog cannot do it.

Return to Game Design Discussion