DCSS Console Background Color

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 29th September 2013, 01:53

DCSS Console Background Color

Hello, everyone! I've been an avid roguelike player for a while, and recently I've been trying to sink my teeth into Crawl.

So far, I've only had one complaint: The background of the console version is grey by default, and despite a lot of searching I have not been able to find a way to make it pure black. I know this is possible, as I have seen it in several screenshots, but I am unable to determine how it is done. The light grey makes for a painful contrast and makes my vision uncomfortable fairly quickly.

I have had this annoyance on multiple Debian-based platforms, e.g., Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Thank you for your help.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 29th September 2013, 02:29

Re: DCSS Console Background Color

This is a function of your terminal. Assuming gnome-terminal, try this:

Right click → Profiles → Profile Preferences, Background tab, and select "Solid color". Then, in the Colors tab, you can uncheck "Use colors from system theme" and select the "white on black" scheme, possibly tweaking the background colour (and the colour used for black, which is usually the same but doesn't have to be).

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 29th September 2013, 03:01

Re: DCSS Console Background Color

I do use gnome-terminal, although the approach you suggested was the first thing I checked. I figured that my problem might be something on the console level, but I wanted to be sure that there wasn't some little-known option that I might have missed for the game. I'll try looking further into that, or failing that, try other terminal emulators.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)

Return to Technical Support