Troll leather armour

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 16:44

Troll leather armour

I'm playing a VpEn of Makhleb and came across a troll hide. Is it worth it to enchant it to troll leather armour (both for my current character and in general)? I currently have a +2 robe of magic resistance and a +1 robe of the archmagi. I am currently level 11 and have not yet found the lair.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 17:00

Re: Troll leather armour

No. That robe of the archmagi is very good for your character.

In general: Try all the leather armours the orcs left for you. You will always find something better than TLA.

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks: 2
Bloax, crate

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 17:02

I'd say no myself, I'd prefer the Robe of Magic Resistance over it (unless you feel your Hexes lack spellpower); however, if you Vampire is heavily focused on Meleeing things instead of stabbing them then the Troll Leather Armor will certainly help you out quite a bit with regenerating hit points.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 17:04

yangaskhan wrote:I'm playing a VpEn of Makhleb and came across a troll hide. Is it worth it to enchant it to troll leather armour (both for my current character and in general)? I currently have a +2 robe of magic resistance and a +1 robe of the archmagi. I am currently level 11 and have not yet found the lair.

Probably not. Robe of the Archmagi is very good, since it will significantly boost the effectiveness of your hexes, and you only need one ?EA to get it to its max AC. Trollhide will take you 5 ?EA to get to max AC, which are probably better used enchanting your peripheral armor slots or on a mottled dragon armour (which is better than troll leather because it provides 50% more AC for the same encumbrance).

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 17:13

I would also go with archmagi. Enchantments are very all-or-nothing, and thus pretty dependent on high skill power. Later on, once your skills are high enough that your hexes are reliable, and you want more AC, then you can maybe switch it. But for right now, it's better to successfully hex an enemy and avoid taking damage than it is to heal that HP back up quicker. If you need to heal quickly, you're at a part of the game where there's plenty of blood to get you to the alive state. Also, an enchanter usually has higher MR than average anyway.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 17:29

Tiber wrote:Also, an enchanter usually has higher MR than average anyway.

Um, how so? Unless he's carting around a Staff of Enchantment then the only thing he's got going for him is the Vampires 4*Experience Level MR; that may be higher then the average Human 3*Experience Level MR but outside of that his character is still quite vulnerable to MR Checks.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 17:35

Robe of the Archmage is the best non-artifact armor that a pure caster can wear.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 17:44

Just a thought for "in general:" If you are playing as a character that can't use most armors such as Ogres, a troll leather armor is probably the first armor that you have access to that isn't either a robe or an animal skin, and is significantly better than either of those. Not relevant to your Vp but something to keep in mind.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 17:57

Davion Fuxa wrote:

Um, how so? Unless he's carting around a Staff of Enchantment then the only thing he's got going for him is the Vampires 4*Experience Level MR; that may be higher then the average Human 3*Experience Level MR but outside of that his character is still quite vulnerable to MR Checks.

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't notice that the MR bonus from charms/hexes only counts if you have a staff of enchantment (which you can't even get anymore).

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 18:14

Tiber wrote:
Davion Fuxa wrote:

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't notice that the MR bonus from charms/hexes only counts if you have a staff of enchantment (which you can't even get anymore).

Wait, what?

I guess that explains my recent unintended abyss trips a little bit more...

Edit: Added henzell info. This could be made clearer.
Henzell wrote:Player MR is XL * racial-multiplier + randart MR (35-99) + 30 for armor _of_ MR + 40 per ring _of_ MR + 3*(max charms skill, hexes skill + 3) for staff of ench + 30 * level of MR mutation + 50 if lichform.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th June 2013, 20:42

minmay wrote:hasn't staff of enchantment been removed yet

it has, yes

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 16:18

I'd be up for replacing it with a pointy stick of enchantment.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 16:35

well you are in luck

Code:
<Henzell> spear of the botono[1/2]: The +2,+10 spear of the Botono {reap, rPois rN+ HP-6}, acts as a hex enhancer.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice