CDO webtiles is retired ... for now?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 9th April 2013, 21:08

CDO webtiles is retired ... for now?

CDO is closed, for a long period it seems

This is a sad news, because US server are for me, and many other european players, too much laggy - more than the CDO's one when overloaded.

I hope someone willing to offer a server is appearing soon - otherwise, have devs ever thought about donations? I don't know how DCSS's servers are funded, but a little money from our players could help to improve the situation?
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 10th April 2013, 01:05

Re: CDO webtiles is retired ... for now?

I would happily donate if I was shown a good way to do so.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 10th April 2013, 08:03

minmay wrote:You can still play CDO console just fine...

Oh my, don't mock me... I stopped to play ASCII roguelike the moment DoomRL got tiles too!

I'd rather play console that not to play DCSS, but rolling back to ascii after tiles' magnificence? :roll:
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 10th April 2013, 09:44

Servers are cheap these days - I can find a VPS (Virtual Private Server) for as little as £12/mo, maybe cheaper. We might want something with a little more oomph but I can't imagine it being ludicrously hard to find donors to fund this.

The problem is someone to admin the server. It's something I'm capable of but I'd much prefer it was someone who really knew what they were doing ;) And it would detract from a lot of other things I'd like to have time for.

So, we'd need to find a Europe-based Linux server admin who is willing to volunteer their time. Of course I'm sure the admins of existing servers would be more than happy to help in any way getting things initially set up, if such a person were to volunteer!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 10th April 2013, 09:47

Cross-referencing another thread: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7566

I think there are plenty of Europeans affected by this.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 09:06

I can't play properly on the US servers. I'd also donate regularly to be able to play on a European server. Hell, I'm even thinking about renting a server and putting it up myself.

I'm fairly skilled in running an online game service, so I'd probably need help. There isn't information about requirements running dcss webtiles on a server compiled in some place, is it?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 11:42

Draugr wrote:I can't play properly on the US servers. I'd also donate regularly to be able to play on a European server. Hell, I'm even thinking about renting a server and putting it up myself.

I'm fairly skilled in running an online game service, so I'd probably need help. There isn't information about requirements running dcss webtiles on a server compiled in some place, is it?

Here's the README for the server: http://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/blobs/master/crawl-ref/source/webserver/README

That seems to cover the basics pretty well.

The server files are in that same folder in the Crawl repository: http://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/trees/master/crawl-ref/source/webserver

So first you'll want to grab a clone of the repository and see how far you get with those instructions. You might be able to get the quickest answers in the ##crawl-dev IRC channel if you need more help but I'll do what I can!

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 13:06

Ah thanks. :) In my next vacation I'll try to set it up locally on an old Linux server and if that works out I'll see where it takes me. ;)

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 00:55

Was CDO getting a disproportionate amount of webtraffic? I ask because I've been wondering if making a different server the top link under the 'playing online' section on the right would affect traffic at all.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 02:07

Carabas wrote:Was CDO getting a disproportionate amount of webtraffic? I ask because I've been wondering if making a different server the top link under the 'playing online' section on the right would affect traffic at all.

No, cszo is pretty much always the busiest. The problems as I understand were a) it's not such a powerful server so it struggled to handle even the lower amount of load, b) webtiles causes significantly more load than console, c) it was also on a very outdated version of webtiles, there are probably bugfixes and optimisations that have happened in more recent versions that might help load, but it was going to take a bit of work to upgrade it.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice