Tweaking Webtiles Layout

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Cab

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 11:17

Tweaking Webtiles Layout

Crawlers,
I've been playing console for ages, and I'm having a hard time getting used to tiles. I do like the convenient chat feature in WebTiles, for instance, and so enter glyph mode to the rescue!
I'm seeking help in tweaking WebTiles to look more like what I get with PuTTY. I'm close, but there is one thing in particular I'd like to change:
When I use the browser's (Chrome in my case) zoom feature to zoom in, there's a certain level where the minimap pushes the visible monsters list down, below the visible area. I wouldn't mind disabling the minimap and just have the monster list; that's how the console version works after all.

Is this doable?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 12:21

Re: Tweaking Webtiles Layout

It would actually be really easy to have show/hide buttons that toggle panels, using Javascript/jQuery; and your preference could even be stored in local userdata without a callback to the server.

You could do this manually by poking around in the page using Firebug but it'd be pretty annoying to do it every time you started webtiles. There's probably even a way of automating this but still, I think webtiles should support this kind of thing because the whole point of web browsers is being platform/resolution agnostic and so on...

So, at some point when I'm not in the office I'll see if I can write a patch for it, should take like 10 mins or something.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
Cab

Cab

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 12:32

mumra wrote:So, at some point when I'm not in the office I'll see if I can write a patch for it, should take like 10 mins or something.

That would be fantastic!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 13:30

You can also zoom the dungeon area by changing the tile_cell_pixels option. This won't affect the monster list and minimap. In local tiles, you're supposed to be able to do it dynamically with numpad +/- but I'm not sure if it's supported by webtiles (I can't make it work in local anyway).
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Cab

Cab

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 13:42

That's neat. Is there a similar method of changing font size of actual information text?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 13:42

Cab wrote:That's neat. Is there a similar method of changing font size of actual information text?

No, this can only be done with options.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Cab

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 18:53

Well, as a workaround I've tried applying my own stylesheet for the time being.
  Code:
#minimap, #minimap_overlay {
    display: none;
}

hides the minimap, but the nearby monster display is not moved. I couldn't figure out how to control that. Any ideas?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 22:24

The problem is that the container #minimap_block has a fixed height so you need to do:

Code:
#minimap_block { display:none; }

But then, then stats area moves into a weird position. I don't know why it's set to display:inline but you can also fix this with:

Code:
#stats { display:block; }

I didn't have time to code up a patch today, will get on it soon though.

If you want to change the text size you can just do that in the browser - in the View menu select Zoom > Zoom text only, then you can use ctrl and + or - to change text size.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
Cab

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th February 2013, 01:18

How does one activate glyph mode?

Never mind, I found it:
http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=glyph%20mode

Cab

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 20th February 2013, 11:14

Alright, I'm a happy crawling Cab now! Got it tweaked so when I go full-screen, it's very close to the console experience, IBM charset and all.
I also moved the popup-menus to the top-left, otherwise they wouldn't fit at my zoom level.
I'm using the Stylish Chrome extension, so the style is applied automatically.

It's not perfect, but works.

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 18:05

You could always just play through putty, then log in to webtiles and spectate yourself so you can participate in chat. It's essentially the same thing, except you get less lag and don't have to fumble with the webtiles ui.

edit: so it seems that you play exclusively cdo and that doesn't have spectating console players through webtiles. Disregard this comment.

Cab

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 22nd February 2013, 11:47

Your comment is a good one, and the alternative I would prefer, but yeah CDO doesn't have this feature, unfortunately.

Cab

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 7th March 2015, 11:12

Hi everyone,
I've not been playing much for a couple of years. Has there been any changes to webtiles to make such tweaks as the ones above unnecessary or easier? I notice glyph mode is now an rc-file option, but I haven't poked around much more yet.

Return to Technical Support