Tomb

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 19:00

Tomb

So i have this Halfling Hunter who recently switched to TSO because i plan on grabbing all 15 runes, and I already trained Invocations to 10 and blessed my weapon.

But in the Tomb they say the best strategy is to keep some divine warriors with you and let they kill everything. Im probably doing something wrong, but my piety decay really fast because the angels/daevas are expensive and die easily to greater mummies. I cleared the first level but my piety decreased to **** and I can no longer summon, so i suspect im doing something very wrong. Is there a way to keep the piety high?
I usually summon 2-3 daevas, let them kill all the mummies and get the hell out of there if its a Greater/Priest.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 19:31

Re: Tomb

You will probably have to stab the greater mummies in the face. They can abjure your summons, causing their duration to expire instantly and bypassing their normal defenses. Honestly, I didn't find the wiki advice to be particularly helpful. Perhaps it used to work, but is now out of date.

To beat Tomb, you basically need to inch your way forward. When you see a mummy at the edge of line-of-sight, wait patiently for it to wake up. Once it wakes up and starts following you, lead it to a section of the Tomb you've already cleared. The area is quite linear, so you probably won't have to go too far back, but you definitely don't want to wake up any more mummies while you deal with this one.

Anyway, once you've walked your mummy into a secluded area, it's time to go for the kill. Haste up if you have it reusable, and have some method of dealing with summoned demons. If it casts Torment, evaluate quickly whether you can finish it off or should evacuate -- Torment alone won't kill you, but it gets progressively more dangerous to continue as they stack up. Summoned minions will help to avert mummy curses, but make sure you bring some royal jellies and potions of restore ability too. Healing potions fix rotting.

Expect to spend many tense minutes of real-time in Tomb and advance only a tiny bit down a passageway in that period of time.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 19:34

The Tomb is like The Game. You just lost the game. The only way to win is to not play.

For this message the author szanth has received thanks:
mageykun

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 20:13

Angels/Daevas cost more piety in trunk, so you can't get away with just spamming them and having them do all the work (hopefully). As long as you have decent power abjuration and a way of doing lots of damage (dispel undead, holy wrath weapon) then Tomb's not too bad if you're (very) careful.

Alternatively get Kiku's or lichform's protection from mummy curses and then blast everything at once with level 9 spells.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 04:40

Would shadow creatures work in Tomb?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 15:24

How about Silence? Can it shut down Greater Mummies?

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 15:57

Yep, Silence reduces Mummies to pure melee (at least i think it does).

Thanks all guys for the advices, but I died anyway. In Tomb. To poison. Got extremely poisoned from a Zot Trap. It was amazing, I didn't even known poison could take so much hp. I had no healing potions and no rPois (figured that it wouldn't be necessary in Tomb), big mistake. Just watched the poison do its job, taking like 10 hp from my character every turn.

Whoever created the Zot Traps deserves a nice punch in the face.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 18:20

Silence doesn't work on orbs of fire, so I wouldn't count on it working on everything you find.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 18:32

Checked in Wizard Mode and turned out Silence does in fact work on Greater Mummies. They can do nothing but melee while in the silence area.

I guess Orb of Fire is a special case because they cant do anything but cast spells, so Silence would completely trivialize them.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 18:44

Silence has a lot of special cases - the basic guideline is that demons and other things that cast spells as an innate ability (rather than being an actual spellcaster) can cast just fine through silence.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice