Time Travel?? in the Abyss

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 08:17

Time Travel?? in the Abyss

Greetings; I noticed an oddity.

I got hit with a weapon of distortion, spear i think, by a merfolk javaliner, and Helloo abyss.

So off i went in search of a way out. After quite a while i went back and checked the "notes" to see just how long i had been in Abyss.

Acording to my player notes ? : I entered the abyss on turn 138,010, but the turn marker in the upper right hand side of the screen said that it was turn 134,542. I did some experimenting and it seem that the turn marker in the top right hand side of the screen is around 5,000 turns behind the game notes.

any thoughts?

and as a side bar, i did not hang on to a "warped long sword" but it was significant enough to show up in the game notes, what did i leave behind?

enjoy stillcen

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 08:30

Re: Time Travel?? in the Abyss

I think the difference is between subjective turns and absolute turns. A spriggan has ten subjective turns for every six absolute turns when moving; that is, he moves ten squares in sixty auts. (An absolute turn is defined as 10 auts.) Between haste, weapon delay, etc. it tends to drift a bit on normal characters too.

The warped long sword is a randart. Might be very good, or junk. Unless you're below level 8 or already training long blades, it probably isn't worth checking at this point.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
stillcen

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 14:06

An easier way to think of it might be in terms of turns vs. actions. Casting a spell takes one turn and is one action. Moving one square takes a variable number of turns depending on species, enchantments, equipment and terrain, but is always one action.

The main display shows turns elapsed, but the player notes (and your final score) use the action count.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
stillcen

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 12th January 2013, 07:54

Well i escaped from my first trip to the Abyss, with swiftness, haste, and generally running away.

But i am not the High Elf i once was. In future must remember to lead line the gene pool;

Lost my +1 dex mutation
picked up 2 -10% MP's, so down 20% on mp the front
down 10% HP
I heal slow
i have a high metabolizm
and my vision is blurry.

insert profanity. I gots just 2, counted them twice, 2 potions of cure mutations.

I checked the wiki, dont really want to go Zin

and Jivya not great but doable....i guess.

any suggestions?

and if i never go to my stash floor (beasts lair level 2) will it be safe from the slimes? and surviving Jivya's grumpies when i get all fickle on him....

ug.

hope your genes fit better than mine

stillcen

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 12th January 2013, 08:11

Yikes. Stupid nexoqucs.

Well, chances are that quaffing those two potions would cure all your mutations. On the other hand, you might want to just try one, and see if it eliminates the worst of them (blurry vision at least.) That way you could save one for later (Zot tends to mutate folks fairly badly, especially if they forget their resist mutation amulet.

If you want a more permanent solution, Jiyva is quite viable. He does randomly eliminate a few items from other floors, but it's just random; no jellies spawn and demolish the whole stack. I never really noticed the losses from my stashes when I played him. OTOH, I don't stash heavily, and generally leave 3-4 item stacks of stuff all over the dungeon. With Jiyva I just go up the stairs, drop whatever I need to drop, and immediately descend. It keeps nearly all the items safe.

Jiyva is a rather powerful god. If you aren't already worshiping someone, it's a good choice.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 12th January 2013, 09:57

The only mutation that is of concern there is blurry vision. The rest are strategic nuisances but aren't tactically critical.

You could go Zin temporarily, get the mutations removed, then switched to another god - so long as it's not an evil or chaotic god, Zin won't punish you. If you choose Jiyva instead of Zin, you then try to carry all your consumables (which is the important part of your stash) at once on you as Jiyva gives amazing conservation for items in your inventory. If you just want a 3-rune win, there is no reason to leave Jiyva afterwards. Arguably, you could just try to win right now without switching out of your current god either.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
stillcen

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 07:47

There is absolutely no reason to go Zin or Jiyva to cure that set of mutations if you have two pots of cure mut available. Chug one of them. If it cures blurry vision, great; you can save the other for later. If not, chug the other. If you somehow run into massive mutation trouble after that without any pots of cure mut available, then it might be a good idea to switch to one of those two, but until then, don't do it.

For this message the author Blade has received thanks:
stillcen

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 19:48

Well i did become a follower of Jiyva, fed the detritius of lair and D1-7 to his little friends and got rid of my Litany of bad mutations. I left him without going down The Slime pit. It felt incorrect, in my perception of this character, to abuse Jiyva in this manor.

His wrath has givin me Fraility, heal slow, and (of course) Blury vision. Plan on using potions of heal mutations on these. I feel i came out ahead as i have gained valuable knowledge into Jiyva. It is also pretty sporting to be suffering the wrath of Sif Muna and Jiyva at the same time, Sif sure holds a grudge.

Pondering my character's spiritual future. Currently thinking i will throw my lot in with Okawaru for a good while then end with one the Triity of Good gods.

This character very likely will never see the surface again but should give my info on crawl gods.

Think i have dubed this HEHU, ....of the fickle faith.

enjoy

stillcen

Barkeep

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 20:06

Jiyva, you will find, also holds something of a grudge. Save your cMut for slow movement and/or teleportitis.

I'd go Zin at this point (or rejoin Jiyva, which may be a better option) because you're gonna be a mutated wreck by the time your wrath is up.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
stillcen

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 23:34

Jivya was abandon for better or ill.

1. Jiyva wrath has a reasonable chance of making your mutation set worse than it ever was before

i have been wearing an amulate of prevent mutations, which seems to be protecting me from all but the first unholy genetic smite.

2. you'll have a bunch of empty dungeon levels without Jiyva's excellent benefits to make up for it

err... are you saying that the slimies are more likely to be around and eatting up the goodies, even on levels i have not yet been to?

I am now worshiping Okawaru.

------

went down to level 3 of the elven halls was picking off the baddies inside when i got loaded up on loot. Left to dump the gear in my stash and the door slammed shut behind me, poof gone!!

WHAT??

Oh, was that mysterious message about space warping around me a hint (subtle) that once i left i could not come back?

I was not aware that the main branches could not be left and re-entered at will.

dang, had not even gotten to a vault yet.

I want to explore the game with out getting compleatly spoiled, but getting cut off from a chunk of the game Is info i want. grumble.

as i have read here, That's life in the dungeon.

enjoy

stillcen

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 23:37

stillcen wrote:Jivya was abandon for better or ill.

1. Jiyva wrath has a reasonable chance of making your mutation set worse than it ever was before

i have been wearing an amulate of prevent mutations, which seems to be protecting me from all but the first unholy genetic smite.

2. you'll have a bunch of empty dungeon levels without Jiyva's excellent benefits to make up for it

err... are you saying that the slimies are more likely to be around and eatting up the goodies, even on levels i have not yet been to?

I am now worshiping Okawaru.

------

went down to level 3 of the elven halls was picking off the baddies inside when i got loaded up on loot. Left to dump the gear in my stash and the door slammed shut behind me, poof gone!!

WHAT??

Oh, was that mysterious message about space warping around me a hint (subtle) that once i left i could not come back?

I was not aware that the main branches could not be left and re-entered at will.

dang, had not even gotten to a vault yet.

I want to explore the game with out getting compleatly spoiled, but getting cut off from a chunk of the game Is info i want. grumble.

as i have read here, That's life in the dungeon.

enjoy

stillcen

Space warping around you means you teleported, there's nothing stopping you from going back into Elf or Orc or any of the main branches. Only portal vaults are one-time-only.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 01:10

I now get what happened, I got teleported while going up the stairs out of the Elven Halls, so there was no stair case back down when i got to the top. I have been using the G command to get to the elven halls that i forgot what the map looked like at the entrance.

i feel a bit of egg on my face.

stillcen

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 01:31

Just so you know, god switching isn't something to be done lightly. God wrath lasts a LONG time and is generally somewhere between completely miserable and deadly. Lots of folks switch from Oka or Trog in the extended endgame, but that's a long ways away.

Not that it can't be done early game, but moderation in all things. Especially godly wrath.

(BTW, I find Jiyva to be a very fun play; if it showed up in the temple I'd actually take it fairly regularly. But Okawaru is good as well.)

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 02:23

The "space warps" message on Elf:3 was a warning that you can't control teleports there. You can find some stairs and take them; the only places you can't return from are Pandemonium and the Abyss. If you saw a message about a door slamming shut, you took an escape hatch instead of a normal staircase. Hatches are one-way but otherwise rather like staircases.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can re-join a god and work off your penance (say, by spawning some jellies in Orc) and suffer a whole lot less wrath that way. At this point, though, you should probably leave your divine worship alone -- Oka wrath is probably more than you want to deal with right now.

If you're destroying the Elf vault already, you're doing something right ;)

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 06:22

Weapon brands--

I have been saving up the enchant weapon scolls ever since i found that Crawl has bows and Long Bows. (about D:7)

I have not used them as i have a Flaming long Bow and have some pretty good fire magic, been waiting to find a Frost brand.

My little trip to the Abyss showed me that lots of demons and beasties are resistant to multiple brands.

The Elven Halls Vault granted me a Long bow of Velocity.

(i am not sure if is should spoil mark this info or not, so to be safe-

Spoiler: show
flaming/frost do 140% damage unless resistant

Vorpal, aka velocity, does 120%, i assume reguardless of resistances.

So i am thinking i should use my scrolls of enchant weapon on the Long bow of velocity, planning on using it through to the end.
i realize that i could find a artifact bow, but cant plan on that.

Is this an error, misguided, or a maybe depending on branded ammo?

enjoy

stillcen

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 10:37

You're quite right. Velocity is one of the best brands, because it stacks with any branded ammo. Arrows of frost will do 120% damage to rC ceatures and 168% damage to normal creatures. Similarly with fire and poison.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 11:03

Yes, go with the LONGbow of velocity. The only bow that's better would be a longbow of holy wrath and that's a TSO exclusive brand (i.e. cannot be found off the floor, he just makes your offered weapon holy). Not that I recommend you switch gods AGAIN at this point, though it's nice that you are clear on your objective with this character (to die after learning as much as possible).

Oh, I suppose a longbow of speed might be a contender for 'best bow ever' but that can only show up on an artifact bow.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 15:24

byrel wrote:Arrows of frost will do 120% damage to rC ceatures and 168% damage to normal creatures.

I'm not sure this is right -- IIRC, branded ammo does purely elemental damage, so your frost arrow would do less damage to rC monsters and be completely ineffective against Ice Beasts and their ilk.

Regardless, velocity longbows are good.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 15:36

njvack wrote:
byrel wrote:Arrows of frost will do 120% damage to rC ceatures and 168% damage to normal creatures.

I'm not sure this is right -- IIRC, branded ammo does purely elemental damage, so your frost arrow would do less damage to rC monsters and be completely ineffective against Ice Beasts and their ilk.
This agrees with my memory too.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 16th January 2013, 03:33

Not that I recommend you switch gods AGAIN

Maybe i am a little bent, but i find the god wrath smiting thing really humorous, i am loving it, i chuckled every time they hit me with something. Keeping i mind that i played it way cool when i was under wrath from Both Sif and Jiyva. I did get turned into a bat doing Elven halls level 3, eekk.

enjoy stillcen

P.S. this is an edit- when i quoted Psieye, why didn't Psieye get a credit in the quote in this post? When Psieye qutoed njvack there was a "Njvack wrote" in the quote.
Last edited by stillcen on Wednesday, 16th January 2013, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 16th January 2013, 07:29

Oh yes I forgot, this character's purpose is to die in a scholarly way. Then go ahead and abandon Okawaru for TSO when it's time to mow down Crypt.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 16th January 2013, 23:59

found a/the treasure Trove.

it is asking for a +6+5 Demon trident and payment to enter.

i have seen exactly two Demon tridents in the game so far. Neither one has been even 1/2 of a +6+5. The game suggests that i have not fully identified the object.

A Crt-f confirms that there only the two. I am currently using one as my reach weapon and left the other in the sholes.

Does the game ask for things one does not own? thoughts?

later

stillcen

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 17th January 2013, 00:53

stillcen wrote:P.S. this is an edit- when i quoted Psieye, why didn't Psieye get a credit in the quote in this post? When Psieye qutoed njvack there was a "Njvack wrote" in the quote.

You had:
  Code:
[quote] blah Blah [/quote]

Which rendered to:
blah Blah

He had:
  Code:
[quote="stillcen"] blah Blah [/quote]

Which rendered to:
stillcen wrote: blah Blah

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 18th January 2013, 04:32

more random questions

gots me a ring that has dam +3 in the description. Does that +3 damage apply to all my attacks; range, magical, and Melee?

read up on armour in the wiki. Saw that armours have "guarenteed" damage reduction. Is this based on the armour; ring mail, plate.... or is it based on the total AC, in other words do the extra bonuses to AC (like from rings) help in guarenteed damage reduciton.

reading random bits of info to try to learn, beside from dieing. Read about amulets of stasis being very helpfull vs. the Undead. I dont see how. What am i missing?

later

stillcen

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th January 2013, 05:18

stillcen wrote:gots me a ring that has dam +3 in the description. Does that +3 damage apply to all my attacks; range, magical, and Melee?

Range and melee only

stillcen wrote:read up on armour in the wiki. Saw that armours have "guarenteed" damage reduction. Is this based on the armour; ring mail, plate.... or is it based on the total AC, in other words do the extra bonuses to AC (like from rings) help in guarenteed damage reduciton.

GDR only applies to melee damage, and is based purely on the base AC of the body armor (so yes, just the armor type). Other sources of AC like other armor, armor enchantment, spells, rings, etc do not count.

stillcen wrote:Read about amulets of stasis being very helpfull vs. the Undead. I dont see how. What am i missing?

It prevents lichs and ancient liches from paralyzing you, which is basically instant death against them. Also useful against other paralyzing monsters, but those two are the nastiest. High magic resistance can also prevent the paralysis, but stasis works for sure.

For this message the author kaikaun has received thanks:
stillcen

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 18th January 2013, 08:24

i tried to wield I.D. a spear and it turned out to be a spear of Distortion.

I have already pressed my luck twice, unweilding weapons of distortion with out going back to the Abyss.

I read that T's dancing weapon will not work to avoid the potential banishment,

but

what of sticks to snakes?

stillcen

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th January 2013, 16:51

You will still be affected by the unwield effect if you cast sticks to snakes.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 18th January 2013, 18:04

If you need to use a spear, distortion is actually a good brand for it. As long as you have a way to manage food, that is.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th January 2013, 18:51

The only way to get rid of a distortion weapon without an unwield effect is to get either kiku or TSO to re-brand the weapon.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
stillcen

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice