Mummy Builds

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 22:02

Mummy Builds

What kind of builds are good with a mummies? In particular which god would go well with a caster type of build. I've been experimenting with mummy necromancers and mummy ice elementalists and can get them to the temple at least somewhat frequently but I'm not really sure which god I should pick. The choices seem to be

1) Sif Muna
Channeling is free mp with no food clock
Spellbooks.

2) Vehumet
Better spell range
Spellbooks

3)Kikubaaqudgha
Grants necromantic tomes the only type of magic mummies are good at
invoke torment at will

Also any other classes that go well with mummies. Necromancers and ice elementalists are the only ones I've had any success with. Sure I know their aptitudes are terrible but I've been trying them as a bit of a challenge.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 22:15

Re: Mummy Builds

While he didn't last long, a spellcasting mummy can work really well with Che as well. Once you stack enough ponderous gear your stats will become pretty good (which is important since mummy stats kind of suck) and Slouch is pretty sweet. Of course then you also have to deal with the problem every Che worshiper has - getting cornered and having no way to outrun anything.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 23:05

Kiku actually isn't likely to be a good match for a mummy, counter-intuitively enough. One of the big perks of Kiku is the gifted spellbooks, and unfortunately undead can't use necromancy spells that require a living metabolism, including several of the best necromancy spells. Mummies already have redundant equivalents to many of Kiku's passives, and the corpse drop ability just doesn't compare to the same ability when used by a vampire or ghoul.

If you want a caster deity, Vehumet has much better passive abilities. If you believe you can cover your basic early-game utility magic adequately (e.g. you are a frost wizard with Blink, Mephitic, and Ozocubu's) then you probably want to go with her. If you already have a high-powered magic attack to start using once enemies start getting nasty (e.g. you are an ice elementalist with Throw Icicle and Bolt of Cold) then Sif Muna's gifts may tip the balance in her favor.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 06:56

If you're looking a character who's not a pure spellcaster, I would recommend a chaos knight of Makhleb because you can straight up spam minor destruction throughout the early to late early game. It actually deals very good damage (depending on which spell you get, of course), costs no food, and it builds up Invocations quickly, despite Mummies having the worst Invoc aptitude in the game.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 08:08

Jenx wrote:Of course then you also have to deal with the problem every Che worshiper has - getting cornered and having no way to outrun anything.

I tried a SETm of Chei, and found a great way to replace running - semicontrolled blinks.
Of course, you have to be that lucky to find a ring of cTele and a spellbook with Blink - but afterwards, you can move even faster than a Spriggan.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 14th February 2011, 18:33

Zicher wrote:
Jenx wrote:Of course then you also have to deal with the problem every Che worshiper has - getting cornered and having no way to outrun anything.

I tried a SETm of Chei, and found a great way to replace running - semicontrolled blinks.
Of course, you have to be that lucky to find a ring of cTele and a spellbook with Blink - but afterwards, you can move even faster than a Spriggan.

In recent versions using semi or fully controlled blink excessively will give you enough glow to give you a nasty set of mutations. Coupled with the fact that semi controlled blink often fail if the direction + rng would put you at a wall or lava, this is quite risky on anything but open levels and corridors.

Jenx wrote:While he didn't last long, a spellcasting mummy can work really well with Che as well. Once you stack enough ponderous gear your stats will become pretty good (which is important since mummy stats kind of suck) and Slouch is pretty sweet. Of course then you also have to deal with the problem every Che worshiper has - getting cornered and having no way to outrun anything.

While it's true that any character might benefit from worshipping chei, mummies in particular are badly suited for this since they already have less escape options. massive stats are very nice, but especially as a mummy you can't afford to be slower than your enemies.

KoboldLord wrote:Kiku actually isn't likely to be a good match for a mummy, counter-intuitively enough. One of the big perks of Kiku is the gifted spellbooks, and unfortunately undead can't use necromancy spells that require a living metabolism, including several of the best necromancy spells. Mummies already have redundant equivalents to many of Kiku's passives, and the corpse drop ability just doesn't compare to the same ability when used by a vampire or ghoul.

Apart from better necro aptitude, mummies also gain a handy power boost to all necro spells, and I believe they don't suffer the same miscast effects. Another great thing about a mummy of kiku is the abillity to torment via prayer over a corpse, which is one of 4 ways you can torment as an undead, the others being Unrandart Sceptre, scroll of Torment, decks of destruction and the abillity mentioned above. Coupled with easily available pain brand it isn't such a horrible idea to go Kiku.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 14th February 2011, 18:41

(failed semicontrolled blinks degrade to random blinks now in trunk)

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th February 2011, 08:12

Glad to hear that, but do they still produce so much glow?

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 15th February 2011, 08:27

Sealer wrote:
Zicher wrote:

In recent versions using semi or fully controlled blink excessively will give you enough glow to give you a nasty set of mutations. Coupled with the fact that semi controlled blink often fail if the direction + rng would put you at a wall or lava, this is quite risky on anything but open levels and corridors.

IIRC, (semi)controlled blinks/teleports were a source of glow since I can remember, so that's no news. "Excessively" is the word to avoid.
But the semicontrolled blink being able to put you over lava putting you over lava is news to me - I thought that no teleport can put you over water/lava.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th February 2011, 21:18

Zicher wrote:IIRC, (semi)controlled blinks/teleports were a source of glow since I can remember, so that's no news. "Excessively" is the word to avoid.
But the semicontrolled blink being able to put you over lava putting you over lava is news to me - I thought that no teleport can put you over water/lava.

Sealer wrote: semi controlled blink often fail if the direction + rng would put you at a wall or lava

Note:

Sealer wrote:often fail

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 08:28

Oh, sorry, misreading on my part.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 09:55

Also I think your signature was supposed to be

"Not dead which eternal lie
Stranger eons death may die"

;)

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 09:59

Sealer wrote:Also I think your signature was supposed to be

"Not dead which eternal lie
Stranger eons death may die"

;)

Although I do like Metallica, I still would prefer the original verse of Abdul Alhazred ;).
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 18th February 2011, 13:08

I had a feeling they've stolen it from somewhere ;)

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th February 2011, 13:12

Not exactly "stolen" - the whole song "The thing that should not be" is clearly inspired by H.P.Lovecraft's novels :).
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 18th February 2011, 19:32

On that (completely unrelated note), do you know what Crawl needs? More Lovecraftian horrors. Yeah we have ugly things and tentacled monsters and stuff, but nothing really big and ugly and mind-shattering.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 18th February 2011, 20:18

(those things are already happening, starting with eldritch tentacles (malign gateway)
there are plans for a lot more, too, but I'm not sure how many are implemented)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 10:28

Jenx wrote:On that (completely unrelated note), do you know what Crawl needs? More Lovecraftian horrors. Yeah we have ugly things and tentacled monsters and stuff, but nothing really big and ugly and mind-shattering.

I agree. And it would make a great theme for the abyss and help differentiate it from Hells and Pan.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 11:05

I wholeheartedly agree.

While we're on this topic can you recommend some good Lovecraftian novels? I've heard whole lot about his works, but I've never have had the pleasure to read them myself yet.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 12:28

He's mostly a short stories author, but I'd read Call of Cthulhu, The Dunwich Horror, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Rats in the Walls aaaand since I havent' been able to get my hands on them, but I've heard they are good - The Shadow Over Innsmouth and At the Moutains of Madness. Also this thread went waaay off-topic.

For this message the author Jenx has received thanks:
Zicher

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 15:01

I don't know if it's considered a 'novel', but The Necronomicon is decent.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 16:12

Try A Night in Lonesome October by roger zelazny

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 17:17

If I can drag this back on topic.. I've tried Mummy IEs lately and the strategy says that once you get Throw Icicle, you can breeze through levels.. but I've yet to even get Throw Icicle castable before an undead or a unique or a swarm of baddies wastes me. And since both Sif and Vehumet need time to get any sort of appreciable help, I'm not seeing much aid there. What's the quickest way to get icicle castable at a decent early level? Only have spellcasting active on your XP? Or once you get conjurations, have all three active at the same time? I assume hybridizing is useless early because of the mummy's horrible speed and aptitudes.. I tried throwing once I found a blowgun but even that didn't help.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 18:09

Don't turn off ice magic or conjurations until you cast Bolt of Cold at excellent with whatever armor and buckler you're planning to use, because ice magic and conjurations have a greater effect on spell success per xp invested than spellcasting. You can ditch phantoms by dragging them upstairs and making them blink. Ice beasts, Menkaure, and Grinder should be avoided until you have a wand that can easily kill them, and their threat is not unique to mummy ice elementalists. Regular zombies and skeletons can just be run from most of the time, with only a few exceptions like the particularly nasty wyvern skeleton. They won't follow you upstairs and usually aren't faster than you.

Throw Icicle should be castable well before Lair, so there shouldn't be too many levels where you're struggling.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 19:03

You need to be stockpiling ranged weapons as soon as possible. Pick up every dagger, hand axe, and spear you see until you have at least half a dozen. Pick up any bows you find. This is both to give you something ranged before throw frost is memorized and you have the mp to spam it as well as to give you a ranged attack against undead and other cold immune enemies before you get throw icicle.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 09:01

Avarice wrote:You need to be stockpiling ranged weapons as soon as possible. Pick up every dagger, hand axe, and spear you see until you have at least half a dozen. Pick up any bows you find. This is both to give you something ranged before throw frost is memorized and you have the mp to spam it as well as to give you a ranged attack against undead and other cold immune enemies before you get throw icicle.

Sounds like a waste of xp, since ice resistant enemies can easily be avoided early on.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 12:44

Jenx wrote: ... aaaand since I havent' been able to get my hands on them, but I've heard they are good - The Shadow Over Innsmouth and At the Moutains of Madness.

Testified!
Not sure if this was mentioned, but try Shadow out of Time as well.
Or just try anything - HPL is simply, well, how to put it, simply great.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 14:06

KoboldLord wrote:Throw Icicle should be castable well before Lair, so there shouldn't be too many levels where you're struggling.

I think I'm just not destined to have a good MuIE. Six straight now where he's gotten killed before the temple. The latest was an Ogre and Sigmund on D:2 right next to each other.. and next to me. Gah.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 15:15

tcjsavannah wrote:I think I'm just not destined to have a good MuIE. Six straight now where he's gotten killed before the temple. The latest was an Ogre and Sigmund on D:2 right next to each other.. and next to me. Gah.

That's going to be trouble for just about any race/background combination. Neither mummy nor ice elementalist had much to do with it…

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 15:29

You really have to abuse the lack of a food counter as much as possible and just get lucky imo. I play mummy wizards so i can get the GLORIOUS mephitic cloud. With that, those yakataur captains that spawn on D1 turn 15000 are at least escapable. I try to be level 8 or so by D4. Do I die a lot getting there? Yes. But I think that's just part of playing a mummy.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 18:29

Sealer wrote:
Avarice wrote:You need to be stockpiling ranged weapons as soon as possible. Pick up every dagger, hand axe, and spear you see until you have at least half a dozen. Pick up any bows you find. This is both to give you something ranged before throw frost is memorized and you have the mp to spam it as well as to give you a ranged attack against undead and other cold immune enemies before you get throw icicle.

Sounds like a waste of xp, since ice resistant enemies can easily be avoided early on.

It's not just for ice resistant enemies it's also to conserve mp. Throwing let's you soften up enemies before they reach you without using any mp. Without it a small mob and a few miscasts will see you run out of mp and die.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 19:26

An ice elementalist is one of the last characters who might need to conserve mp. They have the best selection of guaranteed early-game stopping power, and they have no status effects that prevent monsters from reaching them while they slowly drain their mp pool. If you don't have the mp to kill whatever's coming your way, you should be running for the stairs because you're certainly not going to stop it with your comparatively feeble weapon skills and your hp pool will run out faster than your mp.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 22:32

This guy ran out of mp tried to run back to the stairs and died when he ran into a monster between him and the stairs.
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.8.0-a0-5043-gaacbab8 character file.

464 IceMum8 the Magician (level 5, 0/33 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Ice Elementalist on Feb 20, 2011.
             Was an Initiate of Sif Muna.
             Slain by a worker ant (3 damage)
             ... on Level 5 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:25:51 (8611 turns).

IceMum8 the Magician (Mummy Ice Elementalist)                                                                       Turns: 8611, Time: 00:25:51

HP   0/33        AC  3     Str 11      Exp: 5/350 (119), need: 27
MP   1/12        EV 12     Int 15      God: Sif Muna [......]
Gold 219         SH  0     Dex 12      Spells:  2 memorised,  9 levels left

Res.Fire  : x . .   See Invis. : .   e - +1,+2 orc dagger
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   a - +0 robe
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .   (no shield)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .   (no helmet)
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .   q - +0 cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .   (no gloves)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .   (no boots)
Res.Mut.  : +       Ctrl.Telep.: .   j - amulet of resist mutation
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : .   (no ring)
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .   (no ring)

@: slightly resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: cold resistance 1, life protection 3, poison resistance, torment resistance, unbreathing
a: Renounce Religion

You were on level 5 of the Dungeon.
You worshipped Sif Muna.
Sif Muna was noncommittal.
You were not hungry.

You visited 1 branch of the dungeon, and saw 5 of its levels.

You collected 199 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 d - a +2,+0 dagger (quivered)
 e - a +1,+2 orcish dagger (weapon)
Armour
 a - a +0 robe (worn)
 o - a +2 chain mail
 q - a +0 cloak (worn)
Scrolls
 c - 5 scrolls of identify
 f - 2 scrolls of enchant armour {unknown}
 g - a scroll of fog
 h - 2 scrolls of curse weapon {unknown}
 i - a scroll of curse jewellery {unknown}
 k - 2 scrolls of curse armour {unknown}
 l - a scroll of blinking {unknown}
 m - 4 scrolls of remove curse {unknown}
 n - a scroll of random uselessness {unknown}
 p - 2 scrolls of recharging {unknown}
Jewellery
 j - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
 r - an uncursed amulet of clarity {unknown}
Books
 b - a book of Frost   
   Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Freeze                            Ice                          1
   *Throw Frost                       Conjuration/Ice              2
   Ozocubu's Armour                   Charms/Ice                   3
   Throw Icicle                       Conjuration/Ice              4
   Summon Ice Beast                   Ice/Summoning                5
   Freezing Cloud                     Conjuration/Ice/Air          6

You had 119 experience left.

Skills:
 - Level 2 Dodging
 - Level 1 Stealth
 + Level 4 Spellcasting
 - Level 2 Conjurations
 - Level 3 Ice Magic

You had 9 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Freeze                Ice            ###..        Great       1    N/A
b - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       ###....      Very Good   2    N/A

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (5/27)           
Temple: D:4-7       

Altars:
Sif Muna
Trog

Shops:
D:4: (!((+

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

Your flesh is vulnerable to fire.
Your flesh is cold resistant.
You are immune to negative energy.
Your system is resistant to poisons.
You are immune to unholy pain and torment.
You do not need to breathe.

Message History

The worker ant barely misses you. The worker ant misses you.
Things that are here:
a runed orcish dagger; an orc corpse
The worker ant closely misses you.
The worker ant bites you but does no damage.
The worker ant bites you.
You die...

#.#
        #.#
        #.#
        #O#
      ###O####
      #.O)...#######.
      #.)<.......a...
      #..)...########
#     #......#
#.    #......#
#..   #..^...#
#...  #.a....#
#....##@.....###        .
#................      ..
#....###########      ...
....                   ..
#.#
#

You could see an ogre (wandering) and a worker ant.

Vanquished Creatures
  An iguana (D:4)
  2 worker ants (D:4)
  An orc wizard (D:5)
  3 giant mites
  4 snakes
  2 worms (D:3)
  2 giant geckos (D:4)
  A giant cockroach (D:4)
  8 goblins
  7 hobgoblins
  13 kobolds
  7 megabats
  8 orcs
  2 small snakes
  5 giant newts
  4 jackals
  9 rats
  A toadstool (D:3)
80 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  2 rats (D:1)
  3 toadstools
5 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 85 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place   | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1     | IceMum8, the Mummy Ice Elementalist, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1     | Reached XP level 1. HP: 11/11 MP: 3/3
   562 | D:1     | Killed monsters: 0 trivial, 9 easy, 0 tough, 0 nasty; 4 corpses
   562 | D:1     | Reached XP level 2. HP: 4/16 MP: 2/4
  2391 | D:2     | Learned a level 2 spell: Throw Frost
  2988 | D:2     | Killed monsters: 8 trivial, 6 easy, 1 tough, 0 nasty; 5 corpses
  2988 | D:2     | Reached XP level 3. HP: 16/22 MP: 2/6
  3313 | D:3     | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
  5013 | D:4     | Found Xuywa's Antique Weapon Shop.
  5105 | D:4     | Reached skill level 3 in Spellcasting
  5124 | D:5     | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  5281 | D:4     | Killed monsters: 19 trivial, 2 easy, 1 tough, 0 nasty; 11 corpses
  5281 | D:4     | Reached XP level 4. HP: 27/27 MP: 2/9
  5467 | D:4     | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  5469 | D:4     | Found Kumammir's Antique Weapon Shoppe.
  5469 | D:4     | Found Kleaded's Book Shop.
  5720 | D:4     | Killed monsters: 3 trivial, 2 easy, 1 tough, 0 nasty; 2 corpses
  5720 | D:4     | Reached XP level 5. HP: 29/33 MP: 3/10
  6404 | D:4     | Found Psae's Antique Weapon Shoppe.
  6486 | D:5     | Reached skill level 4 in Spellcasting
  7142 | D:3     | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
  7826 | D:4     | Became a worshipper of Sif Muna the Loreminder
  8256 | D:4     | Found Xaklaos' Distillery.
  8611 | D:5     | Slain by a worker ant
  8611 | D:5     | Killed monsters: 23 trivial, 4 easy, 2 tough, 0 nasty; 16 corpses

This guy died because I was stupid and didn't know how trap door spiders or scrolls of fear worked.
  Code:

25852 IceMum2 the Thaumaturge (level 12, -12/71 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Ice Elementalist on Feb 19, 2011.
             Was the Champion of Sif Muna.
             Mangled by a trapdoor spider (17 damage)
             ... in a spider's nest.
             The game lasted 04:11:46 (41660 turns).

IceMum2 the Thaumaturge (Mummy Ice Elementalist)                                                                   Turns: 41660, Time: 04:11:46

HP -12/71        AC  7     Str 11      Exp: 12/35784 (3), need: 4815
MP  17/38        EV 11     Int 18      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 804         SH 11     Dex 12      Spells:  9 memorised, 11 levels left

Res.Fire  : x . .   See Invis. : .   G - staff of conjuration
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   q - +2 robe
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .   Q - +0 buckler
Res.Acid. : + . .   Res.Corr.  : +   u - +0 cap
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .   S - +0 cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .   O - +0 pair of gloves
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .   x - +0 pair of boots
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   T - amulet of resist corrosion
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : .   g - ring of magical power
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .   j - ring of wizardry

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: cold resistance 1, life protection 3, poison resistance, torment resistance, unbreathing
a: Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion

You were in a spider's nest.
You worshipped Sif Muna.
Sif Muna was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and saw 21 of its levels.
You visited 1 portal chamber: spiders nest.

You collected 1018 gold pieces.
You spent 234 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 c - a +2,+2 dwarven dagger of protection (quivered)
Missiles
 w - 19 silver +0 darts
Armour
 q - a +2 robe (worn)
 u - a +0 cap (worn)
 x - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 K - a +0 steam dragon hide
 O - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
 Q - a +0 buckler (worn)
 S - a +0 cloak (worn)
 Z - a +2 orcish robe
Magical devices
 a - a wand of frost (15)
 f - a wand of cold (7)
 A - a wand of slowing (6)
 E - a wand of frost (11)
 J - a wand of polymorph other (11) {unknown}
 M - a wand of digging (8)
 P - a wand of cold (3)
 R - a wand of frost (3)
Scrolls
 d - a scroll of fear
 e - 2 scrolls of detect curse {unknown}
 h - 2 scrolls of immolation {unknown}
 i - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon I
 k - a scroll of enchant armour {unknown}
 l - 5 scrolls of recharging {unknown}
 n - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 o - 10 scrolls of identify
 r - a scroll of amnesia
 s - 5 scrolls of fog
 t - 2 scrolls of random uselessness {unknown}
 z - a scroll of curse weapon
 B - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon II {unknown}
 C - a scroll of curse jewellery {unknown}
 D - 3 scrolls of teleportation
 H - a scroll of curse armour {unknown}
 I - a scroll of torment {unknown}
 L - 2 scrolls of noise {unknown}
 N - 4 scrolls of remove curse
 U - 2 scrolls of blinking {unknown}
Jewellery
 g - a ring of magical power (right hand)
 j - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
 m - an uncursed ring of magical power
 v - an uncursed ring of life protection
 y - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 T - an amulet of resist corrosion (around neck)
Books
 b - a book of Frost   
   *Throw Icicle                      Conjuration/Ice              4

p - a book of Necromancy   
   *Pain                              Necromancy                   1
   Animate Skeleton                   Necromancy                   1
   Lethal Infusion                    Hexes/Necromancy             2
   Vampiric Draining                  Necromancy                   3
   Regeneration                       Charms/Necromancy            3
   *Dispel Undead                     Necromancy                   4
   *Animate Dead                      Necromancy                   4

F - a book of Spatial Translocations   
   *Apportation                       Translocation                1
   Portal Projectile                  Translocation                2
   *Blink                             Translocation                2
   Recall                             Summoning/Translocation      3
   *Teleport Other                    Translocation                3
   Control Teleport                   Charms/Translocation         4
   Teleport Self                      Translocation                5

V - a book of Wizardry {god gift}   
   Summon Elemental                   Summoning                    4
   Agony                              Necromancy                   5
   Lightning Bolt                     Conjuration/Air              5
   Fireball                           Conjuration/Fire             6
   Haste                              Charms                       6

Magical staves
 G - a staff of conjuration (weapon)

You had 3 experience left.

Skills:
 - Level 2 Throwing
 - Level 2 Dodging
 + Level 5 Stealth
 + Level 1 Shields
 - Level 2 Traps & Doors
 + Level 11 Spellcasting
 + Level 11 Conjurations
 + Level 7 Necromancy
 + Level 2 Translocations
 + Level 11 Ice Magic

You had 11 spell levels left.

a - Freeze                Ice            #####        Excellent   1    N/A
b - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       #######      Excellent   2    N/A
c - Throw Icicle          Ice/Conj       #######..    Excellent   4    N/A
d - Pain                  Necr           #####        Excellent   1    N/A
e - Dispel Undead         Necr           ######...    Excellent   4    N/A
f - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Excellent   2    N/A
g - Animate Dead          Necr           N/A          Excellent   4    N/A
h - Apportation           Tloc           ####......   Excellent   1    N/A
i - Teleport Other        Tloc           ####.....    Excellent   3    N/A

Branches:
Dungeon (13/27)            Temple (1/1) D:4             Orc (1/4) D:7
   Lair (5/8) D:11          Swamp (0/5) Lair:2         Hive (1/2) D:12
Shoals: Lair:3-6     Snake: Lair:3-6   

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:4: +  D:11: %(*[  D:12: %

Annotations
D:9 exclusion: ice statue

Message History

* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
As you read the scroll, it crumbles to dust.
Nothing appears to happen.
The trapdoor spider seems to regain its courage.
The trapdoor spider bites you but does no damage.
The trapdoor spider bites you!
You die...

######       ######
   ##....##     ##$$$$##
  ##......##   ##......##
 ##........## ##........##
##..........###..........##
#............#...........(#
.......\.........@.%..%..[#
.......\..........s%.....:#
#............#...........?#
  ##......##   ##......##
   ##....##     ##....##
    ######       ######

You could see a trapdoor spider.

Vanquished Creatures
  The ghost of Zoot the Grappler, an experienced TrBe of Trog (D:10)
  A necromancer (D:8)
  2 hill giants (D:12)
  The ghost of Urgiy the Cudgeler, an experienced OgCK of Makhleb (D:6)
  A black mamba (Lair:3)
  3 trapdoor spiders (Spider)
  Grinder (D:5)
  A troll (D:12)
  A komodo dragon (Lair:1)
  Prince Ribbit (D:4)
  17 blink frogs
  8 giant toads
  A wyvern (D:10)
  Edmund (D:4)
  Eustachio (D:4)
  4 hippogriffs
  10 vampire mosquitos
  A steam dragon (Lair:3)
  12 war dogs
  11 yaks
  A manticore (D:11)
  5 orc warriors
  2 necrophages
  5 ice beasts
  7 ogres
  A yellow wasp (D:12)
  An elf (D:12)
  5 sky beasts
  2 phantoms
  2 wolves (Lair:4)
  A gila monster (Lair:4)
  6 centaurs
  5 giant slugs
  A boring beetle (Lair:4)
  6 crocodiles
  4 water moccasins
  9 giant frogs
  2 agate snails
  3 bear simulacra (D:8)
  A jellyfish (D:10)
  20 killer bees
  4 wights (D:9)
  7 imps
  A big kobold skeleton (D:12)
  2 goliath beetles
  13 hounds
  3 orc priests
  A quasit (D:12)
  A shadow (D:9)
  2 electric eels (D:10)
  3 big fish (D:10)
  Crazy Yiuf (D:6)
  6 iguanas
  6 scorpions
  7 porcupines
  3 worker ants
  9 orc wizards
  7 sheep (Lair:3)
  Ijyb (D:2)
  2 jellies (D:10)
  2 goliath beetle zombies
  3 hound simulacra (D:8)
  A scorpion zombie (D:9)
  29 gnolls
  49 green rats
  A giant centipede (D:12)
  15 snakes
  A snake skeleton (D:12)
  3 giant mites
  7 worms
  4 sheep simulacra (D:8)
  2 grey rats (D:6)
  4 giant eyeballs
  A megabat skeleton (D:4)
  10 giant geckos
  A gnoll skeleton (D:6)
  An ooze (D:5)
  18 goblins
  28 hobgoblins
  25 jackals
  12 kobolds
  22 megabats
  30 orcs
  11 quokkas
  A small snake (D:4)
  14 giant cockroaches
  12 giant newts
  3 killer bee larvae
  An orc skeleton (D:10)
  26 rats
  A rat simulacrum (D:8)
  11 ballistomycetes (D:12)
  21 fungi
  2 plants
  7 toadstools
626 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A sheep (Lair:3)
  A plant (Lair:3)
2 creatures vanquished.

An agate snail zombie (Lair:2)
  A blink frog zombie (Lair:3)
  2 scorpions
  5 sheep zombies (Lair:3)
  A green rat zombie (Lair:3)
  An orc (D:8)
  A quokka (Lair:3)
  A small snake (D:2)
  A giant newt (D:4)
  A giant spore (D:12)
  2 goblins
  A jackal (Lair:4)
  A jackal zombie (Lair:1)
  A kobold (D:2)
  A rat (Lair:1)
  5 fungi
  3 plants
  94 toadstools
123 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 751 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place   | Note
     0 | D:1     | IceMum2, the Mummy Ice Elementalist, began the quest for the Orb.
   790 | D:1     | Killed monsters: 0 trivial, 8 easy, 0 tough, 0 nasty; 6 corpses
   790 | D:1     | Reached XP level 2. HP: 14/16 MP: 2/4
  1996 | D:2     | Killed monsters: 5 trivial, 7 easy, 1 tough, 0 nasty; 9 corpses
  1996 | D:2     | Reached XP level 3. HP: 22/22 MP: 3/5
  2832 | D:3     | Reached skill level 3 in Ice Magic
  4291 | D:2     | Killed monsters: 11 trivial, 1 easy, 3 tough, 0 nasty; 8 corpses
  4291 | D:2     | Reached XP level 4. HP: 27/27 MP: 7/8
  4323 | D:2     | Noticed Ijyb
  4334 | D:2     | Defeated Ijyb
  5474 | D:3     | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  5974 | D:3     | Learned a level 2 spell: Throw Frost
  6182 | D:3     | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
  6491 | D:4     | Noticed Edmund
  6568 | D:4     | Found Ynkafiluo's Book Boutique.
  6579 | D:4     | Killed monsters: 32 trivial, 3 easy, 1 tough, 0 nasty; 13 corpses
  6579 | D:4     | Reached XP level 5. HP: 33/33 MP: 10/10
  6928 | D:4     | Noticed Prince Ribbit
  7057 | D:5     | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  7470 | D:4     | Noticed Eustachio
  7717 | D:4     | Reached skill level 4 in Ice Magic
  7971 | D:4     | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  7977 | Temple  | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  8350 | D:4     | Learned a level 4 spell: Throw Icicle
  9008 | D:5     | Noticed Grinder
  9080 | D:5     | Killed monsters: 29 trivial, 3 easy, 3 tough, 0 nasty; 16 corpses
  9080 | D:5     | Reached XP level 6. HP: 38/38 MP: 2/12
 10918 | D:6     | Noticed Urgiy's ghost (experienced OgCK)
 11316 | D:5     | Killed monsters: 19 trivial, 2 easy, 5 tough, 0 nasty; 14 corpses
 11316 | D:5     | Reached XP level 7. HP: 44/44 MP: 13/16
 12479 | D:6     | Found a glowing drain.
 12520 | D:6     | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 12890 | D:6     | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
 13276 | D:6     | Defeated Crazy Yiuf
 13921 | D:6     | Reached skill level 5 in Ice Magic
 13950 | D:5     | Killed monsters: 18 trivial, 12 easy, 6 tough, 0 nasty; 12 corpses
 13950 | D:5     | Reached XP level 8. HP: 40/49 MP: 4/19
 14210 | D:5     | Reached skill level 6 in Spellcasting
 14211 | D:5     | Defeated Grinder
 15764 | D:6     | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 16143 | D:6     | Reached skill level 7 in Spellcasting
 16145 | D:6     | Killed monsters: 11 trivial, 11 easy, 5 tough, 1 nasty; 11 corpses
 16145 | D:6     | Reached XP level 9. HP: 55/55 MP: 17/22
 17628 | D:7     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 18300 | Orc:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 18301 | Orc:1   | Noticed Gastronok
 18509 | D:8     | Noticed a necromancer
 18509 | D:8     | Noticed a hound simulacrum
 18509 | D:8     | Noticed a sheep simulacrum
 18596 | D:8     | Learned a level 1 spell: Pain
 18890 | D:8     | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 18907 | D:8     | Reached skill level 8 in Spellcasting
 19015 | D:8     | Reached skill level 1 in Necromancy
 19677 | D:8     | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
 19692 | D:8     | Learned a level 4 spell: Dispel Undead
 20607 | D:9     | Reached skill level 5 in Necromancy
 21554 | D:9     | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 21971 | D:8     | Defeated a hound simulacrum
 21972 | D:8     | Reached skill level 9 in Spellcasting
 21978 | D:8     | Defeated a necromancer
 21978 | D:8     | Killed monsters: 32 trivial, 39 easy, 11 tough, 1 nasty; 32 corpses
 21978 | D:8     | Reached XP level 10. HP: 53/60 MP: 5/26
 21979 | D:8     | Defeated a sheep simulacrum
 22126 | D:8     | Noticed a bear simulacrum
 22126 | D:8     | Noticed a hound simulacrum
 22126 | D:8     | Noticed a sheep simulacrum
 22126 | D:8     | Noticed a rat simulacrum
 22143 | D:8     | Defeated a sheep simulacrum
 22146 | D:8     | Defeated a bear simulacrum
 22149 | D:8     | Defeated a sheep simulacrum
 22171 | D:8     | Defeated a hound simulacrum
 22224 | D:8     | Defeated a bear simulacrum
 22226 | D:8     | Defeated a sheep simulacrum
 22227 | D:8     | Defeated a rat simulacrum
 22288 | D:8     | Defeated a bear simulacrum
 22289 | D:8     | Defeated a hound simulacrum
 22393 | D:8     | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
 23404 | D:6     | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
 23493 | D:6     | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
 23533 | D:6     | Became a worshipper of Sif Muna the Loreminder
 23623 | D:6     | Defeated Urgiy's ghost
 23728 | D:4     | Defeated Edmund
 23843 | D:4     | Defeated Prince Ribbit
 23957 | D:4     | Defeated Eustachio
 24697 | D:10    | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 24842 | D:10    | Acquired Sif Muna's first power
 24955 | D:10    | Noticed Zoot's ghost (experienced TrBe)
 26056 | D:10    | Defeated Zoot's ghost
 26175 | D:10    | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 26346 | D:10    | Acquired Sif Muna's second power
 26914 | D:9     | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
 28124 | D:10    | Killed monsters: 31 trivial, 17 easy, 14 tough, 2 nasty; 26 corpses
 28124 | D:10    | Reached XP level 11. HP: 61/66 MP: 28/28
 28755 | D:11    | Found Sicaboar's Food Boutique.
 29055 | D:11    | Noticed an agate snail
 29073 | D:11    | Defeated an agate snail
 29388 | D:11    | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 29701 | Lair:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 29896 | D:11    | Found Okocawk's Antique Armour Shop.
 29997 | D:11    | Found Fuasaebo's Weapon Shoppe.
 30006 | D:11    | Found Leanefer's General Store.
 30041 | D:11    | Bought a scroll of fear for 63 gold pieces
 30061 | D:11    | Noticed Jozef
 30597 | D:12    | Found a staircase to the Hive.
 30976 | D:12    | Found Oxtuafal's Food Shoppe.
 31019 | D:13    | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 31551 | Hive:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Hive
 32115 | D:12    | Acquired Sif Muna's third power
 32547 | Hive:1  | Noticed Harold
 32865 | D:12    | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
 33379 | D:11    | Bought a warped robe for 171 gold pieces
 33390 | D:11    | Identified the cursed -5 robe of the Bagpipe (You bought it in a shop on level 11 of the Dungeon)
 35062 | Lair:1  | Killed monsters: 35 trivial, 49 easy, 31 tough, 0 nasty; 49 corpses
 35062 | Lair:1  | Reached XP level 12. HP: 71/71 MP: 29/29
 35065 | Lair:1  | Reached skill level 11 in Spellcasting
 35223 | Lair:1  | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
 35641 | Lair:1  | Learned a level 4 spell: Animate Dead
 35857 | Lair:1  | Learned a level 1 spell: Apportation
 36000 | Lair:2  | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
 36358 | Lair:2  | Reached skill level 10 in Ice Magic
 36688 | Lair:2  | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 39501 | Lair:3  | Learned a level 3 spell: Teleport Other
 39612 | Lair:3  | Received a gift from Sif Muna
 41459 | Lair:4  | Found a crumbling entrance.
 41469 | Spider  | Entered a spider's nest
 41660 | Spider  | Mangled by a trapdoor spider
 41660 | Spider  | Killed monsters: 72 trivial, 33 easy, 43 tough, 0 nasty; 80 corpses

The only difference between how I played them was that I used throwing weapons with the second one.
Freeze only has a range of 1 and your going to find throwing weapons before you get ice magic and spellcasting to a point where you can use throw frost reliably.
The use of throwing weapons appears to greatly increase the survivability of my characters in the very early game and with ice elementalists in particular give a very safe and effective way to take out the weaker undead who would otherwise be a huge annoyance.
A mummy ice elementalist has a mediocre spellcasting aptitude and consequently mediocre mp growth. They also have the lowest ice aptitude you'd ever want to try an ice elementalist with. This means more frequent miscasts early on wasting your mp.
The experience wasted on throwing seems minimal. I turn it off as soon as it hits the first level. I've never seen it go above level 2 and it only got that high because I forgot to turn it off.
Certainly running away and letting your mp recharge is an often effective tactic but mobs of creatures that are faster than you aren't that uncommon in the early game. Groups of jackals and hounds can be a death sentence if a group of them stumbles across you after you've used up most of your mp fighting something else. You're also risking running into more monsters as you make a run back to the stairs.
My characters that used throwing with this build seem to do much better than those that don't at least.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th February 2011, 22:56

Well, there's your problem. Always keep a safe area around a stairwell clear of monsters, and patrol it regularly to make sure it remains safe. If you run into a monster on the way back to your stairwell, it probably means you went too quickly into unexplored territory and got cut off. A slowly-widening spiral around the stairwell is safer than blazing a path bisecting the entire level.

The second guy just went into a Spider's Nest. Those are nasty.

Until Throw Icicle starts working, consumables are really the way to go in dealing with fast undead and ice beasts. Wands are good, and potions of brilliance can make Throw Icicle temporarily workable. Ultimately, though, there's nothing wrong with avoiding them. I can't imagine trying to take on an early wight pack with thrown rubbish; that seems like more of a way to get killed than anything else.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 00:25

keep a safe area around the stairwell? No thank you. I'd rather be killed than give up my autoexplore.

Anyway my point was it's not like carrying around a bunch of shit to throw at people is terribly detrimental to you in long run. You get to clear out some of the weaker undead like the worm skeletons who do enough damage you don't want to take them in melee but are slow enough that you can just keep your distance and throw shit at them. If you do find yourself in the unfortunate position of running out of mp and having no effective means of escape you still have a means of ranged attack.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 08:49

Avarice wrote:This guy died because I was stupid and didn't know how trap door spiders or scrolls of fear worked.
  Code:

25852 IceMum2 the Thaumaturge (level 12, -12/71 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Ice Elementalist on Feb 19, 2011.
             Mangled by a trapdoor spider (17 damage)
             ... in a spider's nest.
             The game lasted 04:11:46 (41660 turns).

IceMum2 the Thaumaturge (Mummy Ice Elementalist)                                                                   Turns: 41660, Time: 04:11:46

HP -12/71        AC  7     Str 11      Exp: 12/35784 (3), need: 4815
MP  17/38        EV 11     Int 18      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 804         SH 11     Dex 12      Spells:  9 memorised, 11 levels left

Res.Fire  : x . .   See Invis. : .   G - staff of conjuration
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   q - +2 robe
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .   Q - +0 buckler
Res.Acid. : + . .   Res.Corr.  : +   u - +0 cap
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .   S - +0 cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .   O - +0 pair of gloves
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .   x - +0 pair of boots
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   T - amulet of resist corrosion
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : .   g - ring of magical power
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .   j - ring of wizardry

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
a: Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion

You were in a spider's nest.
You worshipped Sif Muna.
You were not hungry.

You visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and saw 21 of its levels.
You visited 1 portal chamber: spiders nest.

You collected 1018 gold pieces.
You spent 234 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 c - a +2,+2 dwarven dagger of protection (quivered)
Missiles
 w - 19 silver +0 darts
Armour
 q - a +2 robe (worn)
 u - a +0 cap (worn)
 x - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 K - a +0 steam dragon hide
 O - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
 Q - a +0 buckler (worn)
 S - a +0 cloak (worn)
 Z - a +2 orcish robe
Magical devices
 a - a wand of frost (15)
 f - a wand of cold (7)
 A - a wand of slowing (6)
 E - a wand of frost (11)
 J - a wand of polymorph other (11) {unknown}
 M - a wand of digging (8)
 P - a wand of cold (3)
 R - a wand of frost (3)
Scrolls
 d - a scroll of fear
 e - 2 scrolls of detect curse {unknown}
 h - 2 scrolls of immolation {unknown}
 i - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon I
 k - a scroll of enchant armour {unknown}
 l - 5 scrolls of recharging {unknown}
 n - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 o - 10 scrolls of identify
 r - a scroll of amnesia
 s - 5 scrolls of fog
 t - 2 scrolls of random uselessness {unknown}
 z - a scroll of curse weapon
 B - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon II {unknown}
 C - a scroll of curse jewellery {unknown}
 D - 3 scrolls of teleportation
 H - a scroll of curse armour {unknown}
 I - a scroll of torment {unknown}
 L - 2 scrolls of noise {unknown}
 N - 4 scrolls of remove curse
 U - 2 scrolls of blinking {unknown}
Jewellery
 g - a ring of magical power (right hand)
 j - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
 m - an uncursed ring of magical power
 v - an uncursed ring of life protection
 y - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 T - an amulet of resist corrosion (around neck)
Books
 b - a book of Frost   

p - a book of Necromancy   
   *Animate Dead                      Necromancy                   4

F - a book of Spatial Translocations   
   *Apportation                       Translocation                1
   Portal Projectile                  Translocation                2
   *Blink                             Translocation                2
   Recall                             Summoning/Translocation      3
   *Teleport Other                    Translocation                3
   Control Teleport                   Charms/Translocation         4

V - a book of Wizardry {god gift}   
   Summon Elemental                   Summoning                    4

Magical staves
 G - a staff of conjuration (weapon)

You had 3 experience left.

Skills:
 - Level 2 Throwing
 - Level 2 Dodging
 + Level 5 Stealth
 + Level 1 Shields
 - Level 2 Traps & Doors
 + Level 11 Spellcasting
 + Level 11 Conjurations
 + Level 7 Necromancy
 + Level 2 Translocations
 + Level 11 Ice Magic

You had 11 spell levels left.

d - Pain                  Necr           #####        Excellent   1    N/A
e - Dispel Undead         Necr           ######...    Excellent   4    N/A
g - Animate Dead          Necr           N/A          Excellent   4    N/A
h - Apportation           Tloc           ####......   Excellent   1    N/A
i - Teleport Other        Tloc           ####.....    Excellent   3    N/A

Branches:
Dungeon (13/27)            Temple (1/1) D:4             Orc (1/4) D:7
   Lair (5/8) D:11          Swamp (0/5) Lair:2         Hive (1/2) D:12
Shoals: Lair:3-6     Snake: Lair:3-6   

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:4: +  D:11: %(*[  D:12: %

Annotations
D:9 exclusion: ice statue

Message History

* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
As you read the scroll, it crumbles to dust.
Nothing appears to happen.
The trapdoor spider seems to regain its courage.
The trapdoor spider bites you but does no damage.
The trapdoor spider bites you!
You die...

######       ######
   ##....##     ##$$$$##
  ##......##   ##......##
#............#...........(#
.......\.........@.%..%..[#
.......\..........s%.....:#
#............#...........?#
  ##......##   ##......##
   ##....##     ##....##
    ######       ######

You could see a trapdoor spider.

Vanquished Creatures
  The ghost of Zoot the Grappler, an experienced TrBe of Trog (D:10)
  A necromancer (D:8)
  2 hill giants (D:12)
  The ghost of Urgiy the Cudgeler, an experienced OgCK of Makhleb (D:6)
  A black mamba (Lair:3)
  3 trapdoor spiders (Spider)
  Grinder (D:5)
  A troll (D:12)
  A komodo dragon (Lair:1)
  Prince Ribbit (D:4)
  17 blink frogs
  8 giant toads
  A wyvern (D:10)
  Edmund (D:4)
  Eustachio (D:4)
  4 hippogriffs
  10 vampire mosquitos
  A steam dragon (Lair:3)
  12 war dogs
  11 yaks
  A manticore (D:11)
  5 orc warriors
  2 necrophages
  5 ice beasts
  7 ogres
  A yellow wasp (D:12)
  An elf (D:12)
  5 sky beasts
  2 phantoms
  2 wolves (Lair:4)
  A gila monster (Lair:4)
  6 centaurs
  5 giant slugs
  A boring beetle (Lair:4)
  6 crocodiles
  4 water moccasins
  9 giant frogs
  2 agate snails
  3 bear simulacra (D:8)
  A jellyfish (D:10)
  20 killer bees
  4 wights (D:9)
  7 imps
  A big kobold skeleton (D:12)
  2 goliath beetles
  13 hounds
  3 orc priests
  A quasit (D:12)
  A shadow (D:9)
  2 electric eels (D:10)
  3 big fish (D:10)
  Crazy Yiuf (D:6)
  6 iguanas
  6 scorpions
  7 porcupines
  3 worker ants
  9 orc wizards
  7 sheep (Lair:3)
  Ijyb (D:2)
  2 jellies (D:10)
  2 goliath beetle zombies
  3 hound simulacra (D:8)
  A scorpion zombie (D:9)
  29 gnolls
  49 green rats
  A giant centipede (D:12)
  15 snakes
  A snake skeleton (D:12)
  3 giant mites
  7 worms
  4 sheep simulacra (D:8)
  2 grey rats (D:6)
  4 giant eyeballs
  A megabat skeleton (D:4)
  10 giant geckos
  A gnoll skeleton (D:6)
  An ooze (D:5)
  18 goblins
  28 hobgoblins
  25 jackals
  12 kobolds
  22 megabats
  30 orcs
  11 quokkas
  A small snake (D:4)
  14 giant cockroaches
  12 giant newts
  3 killer bee larvae
  An orc skeleton (D:10)
  26 rats
  A rat simulacrum (D:8)
  11 ballistomycetes (D:12)
  21 fungi
  2 plants
  7 toadstools
626 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A sheep (Lair:3)
  A plant (Lair:3)
2 creatures vanquished.

An agate snail zombie (Lair:2)
  A blink frog zombie (Lair:3)
  2 scorpions
  5 sheep zombies (Lair:3)
  A green rat zombie (Lair:3)
  An orc (D:8)
  A quokka (Lair:3)
  A small snake (D:2)
  A giant newt (D:4)
  A giant spore (D:12)
  2 goblins
  A jackal (Lair:4)
  A jackal zombie (Lair:1)
  A kobold (D:2)
  A rat (Lair:1)
  5 fungi
  3 plants
  94 toadstools
123 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 751 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place   | Note
     0 | D:1     | IceMum2, the Mummy Ice Elementalist, began the quest for the Orb.
   790 | D:1     | Killed monsters: 0 trivial, 8 easy, 0 tough, 0 nasty; 6 corpses
   790 | D:1     | Reached XP level 2. HP: 14/16 MP: 2/4
  1996 | D:2     | Killed monsters: 5 trivial, 7 easy, 1 tough, 0 nasty; 9 corpses
  1996 | D:2     | Reached XP level 3. HP: 22/22 MP: 3/5
  2832 | D:3     | Reached skill level 3 in Ice Magic
  4291 | D:2     | Killed monsters: 11 trivial, 1 easy, 3 tough, 0 nasty; 8 corpses
  4291 | D:2     | Reached XP level 4. HP: 27/27 MP: 7/8
  4323 | D:2     | Noticed Ijyb
  4334 | D:2     | Defeated Ijyb
  5474 | D:3     | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  5974 | D:3     | Learned a level 2 spell: Throw Frost
  6182 | D:3     | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
  6491 | D:4     | Noticed Edmund
  6568 | D:4     | Found Ynkafiluo's Book Boutique.
  6579 | D:4     | Killed monsters: 32 trivial, 3 easy, 1 tough, 0 nasty; 13 corpses
  6579 | D:4     | Reached XP level 5. HP: 33/33 MP: 10/10
  6928 | D:4     | Noticed Prince Ribbit
  7057 | D:5     | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  7470 | D:4     | Noticed Eustachio
  7717 | D:4     | Reached skill level 4 in Ice Magic
  7971 | D:4     | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  7977 | Temple  | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  8350 | D:4     | Learned a level 4 spell: Throw Icicle
  9008 | D:5     | Noticed Grinder
  9080 | D:5     | Killed monsters: 29 trivial, 3 easy, 3 tough, 0 nasty; 16 corpses
  9080 | D:5     | Reached XP level 6. HP: 38/38 MP: 2/12
 10918 | D:6     | Noticed Urgiy's ghost (experienced OgCK)
 11316 | D:5     | Killed monsters: 19 trivial, 2 easy, 5 tough, 0 nasty; 14 corpses
 11316 | D:5     | Reached XP level 7. HP: 44/44 MP: 13/16
 12479 | D:6     | Found a glowing drain.
 12520 | D:6     | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 12890 | D:6     | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
 13276 | D:6     | Defeated Crazy Yiuf
 13921 | D:6     | Reached skill level 5 in Ice Magic
 13950 | D:5     | Killed monsters: 18 trivial, 12 easy, 6 tough, 0 nasty; 12 corpses
 13950 | D:5     | Reached XP level 8. HP: 40/49 MP: 4/19
 14210 | D:5     | Reached skill level 6 in Spellcasting
 14211 | D:5     | Defeated Grinder
 15764 | D:6     | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 16143 | D:6     | Reached skill level 7 in Spellcasting
 16145 | D:6     | Killed monsters: 11 trivial, 11 easy, 5 tough, 1 nasty; 11 corpses
 16145 | D:6     | Reached XP level 9. HP: 55/55 MP: 17/22
 17628 | D:7     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 18300 | Orc:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 18301 | Orc:1   | Noticed Gastronok
 18509 | D:8     | Noticed a necromancer
 18509 | D:8     | Noticed a hound simulacrum
 18509 | D:8     | Noticed a sheep simulacrum
 18596 | D:8     | Learned a level 1 spell: Pain
 18890 | D:8     | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 18907 | D:8     | Reached skill level 8 in Spellcasting
 19015 | D:8     | Reached skill level 1 in Necromancy
 19677 | D:8     | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
 19692 | D:8     | Learned a level 4 spell: Dispel Undead
 20607 | D:9     | Reached skill level 5 in Necromancy
 21554 | D:9     | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 21971 | D:8     | Defeated a hound simulacrum
 21972 | D:8     | Reached skill level 9 in Spellcasting
 21978 | D:8     | Defeated a necromancer
 21978 | D:8     | Killed monsters: 32 trivial, 39 easy, 11 tough, 1 nasty; 32 corpses
 21978 | D:8     | Reached XP level 10. HP: 53/60 MP: 5/26
 21979 | D:8     | Defeated a sheep simulacrum
 22126 | D:8     | Noticed a rat simulacrum
 22143 | D:8     | Defeated a sheep simulacrum
 22146 | D:8     | Defeated a bear simulacrum
 22149 | D:8     | Defeated a sheep simulacrum
 22171 | D:8     | Defeated a hound simulacrum
 22224 | D:8     | Defeated a bear simulacrum
 22226 | D:8     | Defeated a sheep simulacrum
 22227 | D:8     | Defeated a rat simulacrum
 22288 | D:8     | Defeated a bear simulacrum
 22289 | D:8     | Defeated a hound simulacrum
 22393 | D:8     | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
 23404 | D:6     | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
 23493 | D:6     | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
 23533 | D:6     | Became a worshipper of Sif Muna the Loreminder
 23623 | D:6     | Defeated Urgiy's ghost
 23728 | D:4     | Defeated Edmund
 23843 | D:4     | Defeated Prince Ribbit
 23957 | D:4     | Defeated Eustachio
 24697 | D:10    | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 24842 | D:10    | Acquired Sif Muna's first power
 24955 | D:10    | Noticed Zoot's ghost (experienced TrBe)
 26056 | D:10    | Defeated Zoot's ghost
 26175 | D:10    | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 26346 | D:10    | Acquired Sif Muna's second power
 26914 | D:9     | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
 28124 | D:10    | Killed monsters: 31 trivial, 17 easy, 14 tough, 2 nasty; 26 corpses
 28124 | D:10    | Reached XP level 11. HP: 61/66 MP: 28/28
 28755 | D:11    | Found Sicaboar's Food Boutique.
 29055 | D:11    | Noticed an agate snail
 29073 | D:11    | Defeated an agate snail
 29388 | D:11    | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 29701 | Lair:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 29896 | D:11    | Found Okocawk's Antique Armour Shop.
 29997 | D:11    | Found Fuasaebo's Weapon Shoppe.
 30006 | D:11    | Found Leanefer's General Store.
 30041 | D:11    | Bought a scroll of fear for 63 gold pieces
 30061 | D:11    | Noticed Jozef
 30597 | D:12    | Found a staircase to the Hive.
 30976 | D:12    | Found Oxtuafal's Food Shoppe.
 31019 | D:13    | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 31551 | Hive:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Hive
 32115 | D:12    | Acquired Sif Muna's third power
 32547 | Hive:1  | Noticed Harold
 32865 | D:12    | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
 33379 | D:11    | Bought a warped robe for 171 gold pieces
 33390 | D:11    | Identified the cursed -5 robe of the Bagpipe (You bought it in a shop on level 11 of the Dungeon)
 35062 | Lair:1  | Killed monsters: 35 trivial, 49 easy, 31 tough, 0 nasty; 49 corpses
 35062 | Lair:1  | Reached XP level 12. HP: 71/71 MP: 29/29
 35065 | Lair:1  | Reached skill level 11 in Spellcasting
 35223 | Lair:1  | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
 35641 | Lair:1  | Learned a level 4 spell: Animate Dead
 35857 | Lair:1  | Learned a level 1 spell: Apportation
 36000 | Lair:2  | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
 36358 | Lair:2  | Reached skill level 10 in Ice Magic
 36688 | Lair:2  | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 39501 | Lair:3  | Learned a level 3 spell: Teleport Other
 39612 | Lair:3  | Received a gift from Sif Muna
 41459 | Lair:4  | Found a crumbling entrance.
 41469 | Spider  | Entered a spider's nest
 41660 | Spider  | Mangled by a trapdoor spider
 41660 | Spider  | Killed monsters: 72 trivial, 33 easy, 43 tough, 0 nasty; 80 corpses

The only difference between how I played them was that I used throwing weapons with the second one.
Freeze only has a range of 1 and your going to find throwing weapons before you get ice magic and spellcasting to a point where you can use throw frost reliably.
The use of throwing weapons appears to greatly increase the survivability of my characters in the very early game and with ice elementalists in particular give a very safe and effective way to take out the weaker undead who would otherwise be a huge annoyance.
A mummy ice elementalist has a mediocre spellcasting aptitude and consequently mediocre mp growth. They also have the lowest ice aptitude you'd ever want to try an ice elementalist with. This means more frequent miscasts early on wasting your mp.
The experience wasted on throwing seems minimal. I turn it off as soon as it hits the first level. I've never seen it go above level 2 and it only got that high because I forgot to turn it off.
Certainly running away and letting your mp recharge is an often effective tactic but mobs of creatures that are faster than you aren't that uncommon in the early game. Groups of jackals and hounds can be a death sentence if a group of them stumbles across you after you've used up most of your mp fighting something else. You're also risking running into more monsters as you make a run back to the stairs.
My characters that used throwing with this build seem to do much better than those that don't at least.

This character has not used throwing. Also, he cleared vault:8 and died to my overconfidence.
  Code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.8.0-a0-4996-geb9675e character file.

404426 Sealer the Eclecticist (level 24, 0/138 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Ice Elementalist on Feb 1, 2011.
             Slain by a skeletal warrior
             ... wielding a +2,+2 morningstar
              (14 damage)
             ... on Level 3 of the Vaults on Feb 3, 2011.
             The game lasted 06:41:12 (118463 turns).

Sealer the Eclecticist (Mummy Ice Elementalist)   Turns: 118463, Time: 06:41:13

HP   0/138       AC 13     Str 15      Exp: 24/808756 (1949), need: 113843
MP   1/43        EV 16     Int 22      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 5924        SH 15     Dex 12      Spells: 14 memorised,  2 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +   a - staff of cold
Res.Cold  : + + .   Warding    : .   n - +2 robe {rF+}
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .   p - +1 buckler
Res.Acid. : + . .   Res.Corr.  : +   G - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR Acc+2 Dam+2 SInv
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .   D - +2 cloak {MR}
Res.Elec. : +       Spirit.Shd : .   S - +2 pair of dwarf bracers {archer}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .   U - +1 pair of orc boots
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   F - amulet of resist corrosion
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : .   L - ring "Mnet" {Hunger rElec MR Str+2}
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .   j - ring of the Jolly Runes {unknown, Str+2 Da

@: incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: in touch with death, cold resistance 1, life protection 3, poison
resistance, torment resistance, unbreathing
a: Self-Restoration, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion

You were on level 3 of the Vaults.
You worshipped Sif Muna.
You were not hungry.

You visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and saw 49 of its levels.
You visited 2 portal chambers: bailey, spiders nest.

You collected 6992 gold pieces.
You spent 1088 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 b - the +5,+3 lajatang of Res Nullius {slice, rPois rF++}
   (You found it on level 2 of the Hive)   
   It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
   It greatly protects you from fire.
   It protects you from poison.
Armour
 n - a +2 robe of fire resistance (worn)
 p - a +1 buckler (worn)
 v - a +3 leather armour of cold resistance
 D - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
 G - the +0 mask of the Dragon (worn) {MR Acc+2 Dam+2 SInv}
   (You found it on level 1 of the Snake Pit)   
   It affects your accuracy (+2).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+2).
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It enhances your eyesight.
 S - a +2 pair of dwarven bracers of archery (worn)
 U - a +1 pair of orcish boots (worn)
Magical devices
 c - a wand of fire (4)
 e - a wand of cold (4)
 i - a wand of draining (3)
 l - a wand of cold (5)
 q - a wand of fireball (9)
 r - a wand of teleportation (7)
 s - a wand of frost (21)
 y - a wand of disintegration (10)
 I - a wand of fireball (11)
 K - a wand of teleportation (5)
 M - a wand of lightning (8)
 R - a wand of fire (4)
 T - a wand of disintegration (3)
 V - a wand of healing (2)
 W - a wand of digging (6)
 X - a wand of fire (5)
Scrolls
 g - a scroll of detect curse {od gift}}
 h - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 u - a scroll of remove curse
 w - a scroll of enchant weapon II
 H - a scroll of blinking
Jewellery
 j - the ring of the Jolly Runes (left hand) {unknown, Str+2 Dam+3}
   (You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)   
   [ring of strength]
   It affects your strength (+2).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+3).
 m - a cursed ring of teleport control
 o - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 B - the ring of Sintuschi {Str+3 Dex+2 Int+2}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Dungeon)   
   [ring of dexterity]
   It affects your dexterity (+2).
   It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your intelligence (+2).
 F - an amulet of resist corrosion (around neck)
 L - the ring "Mnet" (right hand) {Hunger rElec MR Str+2}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 5 of the Dungeon)   
   [ring of hunger]
   It affects your strength (+2).
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
Books
 d - a book of the Warp   
   Banishment                         Translocation                4
   *Phase Shift                       Translocation                5
   Passage of Golubria                Translocation                5
   Warp Weapon                        Hexes/Translocation          5
   Dispersal                          Translocation                6
   Controlled Blink                   Translocation                7

C - Seolis' Catalogue of Aerial Attacks {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 8 of the Vaults)   
   Magic Dart                         Conjuration                  1
   Shock                              Conjuration/Air              1
   Iskenderun's Mystic Blast          Conjuration                  4
   Poisonous Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       5
   Ice Storm                          Conjuration/Ice              9

E - Sif Muna's Papyrus of Summoning and the Compass {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 2 of the Hive)   
   *Summon Butterflies                Summoning                    1
   Summon Small Mammals               Summoning                    1
   Apportation                        Translocation                1
   Banishment                         Translocation                4
   Demonic Horde                      Summoning                    6
   Summon Greater Demon               Summoning                    7

J - a book of Enchantments {god gift}   
   Levitation                         Charms/Air                   2
   Tukima's Dance                     Hexes                        3
   See Invisible                      Charms                       4
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        5
   Extension                          Charms                       5
   *Deflect Missiles                  Charms/Air                   6
   *Haste                             Charms                       6

O - a manual of Fighting   
 P - a book of Dreams {god gift}   
   Ensorcelled Hibernation            Hexes/Ice                    2
   Alistair's Intoxication            Transmutation/Poison         4
   *Flight                            Charms/Air                   4
   *Phase Shift                       Translocation                5
   Shadow Creatures                   Summoning                    5

Q - a manual of Fighting   
 Y - a tome of Destruction   
Magical staves
 a - a staff of cold (weapon)
Miscellaneous
 k - a lantern of shadows
 z - a silver rune of Zot

You had 1949 experience left.

Skills:
 + Level 5 Fighting
 - Level 2 Short Blades
 - Level 2 Polearms
 - Level 2 Staves
 + Level 5 Armour
 - Level 8 Dodging
 + Level 5 Stealth
 - Level 5 Shields
 + Level 1 Traps & Doors
 - Level 17 Spellcasting
 - Level 13 Conjurations
 + Level 10 Charms
 - Level 2 Summonings
 - Level 6 Translocations
 - Level 17 Ice Magic
 + Level 4 Air Magic
 - Level 12 Invocations
 + Level 1 Evocations

You had 2 spell levels left.

a - Phase Shift           Tloc           ######....   Great       5    N/A
c - Ozocubu's Armour      Ice/Chrm       ########..   Excellent   3    N/A
d - Throw Icicle          Ice/Conj       ########.    Excellent   4    N/A
e - Repel Missiles        Air/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   2    N/A
g - Flight                Air/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   4    N/A
h - Bolt of Cold          Ice/Conj       ########..   Excellent   6    N/A
i - Summon Ice Beast      Ice/Summ       #######...   Excellent   5    N/A
j - Ozocubu's Refrigerat  Ice            ########..   Excellent   5    N/A
k - Control Teleport      Chrm/Tloc      #######...   Excellent   4    N/A
l - Swiftness             Air/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   2    N/A
m - Haste                 Chrm           #######..    Great       6    N/A
n - Deflect Missiles      Air/Chrm       ######....   Good        6    N/A
o - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #####.....   Excellent   1    N/A

Branches:
Dungeon (16/27)            Temple (1/1) D:4             Orc (4/4) D:10
    Elf (0/5) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:8           Swamp (5/5) Lair:4
  Slime (0/6) Lair:8        Snake (4/5) Lair:6         Hive (2/2) D:15
  Vault (8/8) D:16          Blade (0/1) Vault:5       Crypt (1/5) Vault:3

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Vehumet
Xom
Zin
Beogh

Shops:
D:5: (=[*[  Orc:3: [  Vault:4: ?*  Vault:5: %=+

Annotations
D:5 shops

You are in touch with the powers of death.
You can restore your body by infusing magical energy.

Message History

Casting: Ozocubu's Refrigeration
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
Aiming: Haste
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - you
You miscast the spell. Nothing appears to happen.
The skeletal warrior hits you with a morningstar!
You die...

...#.......#...#####......
...#.....!.'..............
...#########..............
...[.............#######..
...>zzz.########.#     #..
..#####z#......#.#     #..
..#   #.######'#.#     #..
..#   #.z@.......#     #..
..#   #.#######..#######..
..#####.#     #...!.......
........#     #.....#####.
..#######     #.....#   #.
..#    ########.....#   #.
..#    #.......(....#   #.
..#    #........(...#####.
..######............).....

You could see a skeletal warrior.

I repeat, throwing early on is a waste of precious early game xp, unless you're playing a combo that ABSOLUTELY needs anything at its disposal. MuIE is not one of them.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 10:57

KoboldLord wrote:
tcjsavannah wrote:I think I'm just not destined to have a good MuIE. Six straight now where he's gotten killed before the temple. The latest was an Ogre and Sigmund on D:2 right next to each other.. and next to me. Gah.

That's going to be trouble for just about any race/background combination. Neither mummy nor ice elementalist had much to do with it…

Yeah, Mummy-specific deaths typically involve kobold with darts of flame on D:1, or centaurs with flaming arrows on D:2 (yes, it has happened to me).

Another Mummy I lost yesterday, a necromancer ghostbuster, got two-shotted on D:7 by one. He had the singing sword and all. Aaargh.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 12:15

Sealer wrote:I repeat, throwing early on is a waste of precious early game xp, unless you're playing a combo that ABSOLUTELY needs anything at its disposal. MuIE is not one of them.

Gaining a few levels in any skill is cheap. It's not going to cripple your character to train a little bit of throwing. You shouldn't be so greedy with your XP, there's plenty to gain. Many players complain that the early game is hard and boring because they don't have any options. That mostly happens when they dismiss all the early options the RNG is throwing at them because they're afraid of wasting their precious XP.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 12:43

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the xp going to throwing skill. It's more that Freeze is extremely strong, and anything it and Throw Frost don't work on in the early game is something you should be running from in abject terror because it's way too dangerous to deal with. Thrown debris will get a marginal character through D1-D3, but I'm surely not willing to take on an ice beast with it.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 19:52

I finally got this one off the ground.

L:18, 14th level MUIE. Totally spamming channel, regen, and invis.

Much fun.

I will almost certainly die in a foolish manner now.

=)

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 22nd February 2011, 09:37

Mummies can cast regen? woohoo.

Also let me rephrase myself:
I don't find MuIE to be weak enough early to resolve to use throwing, which is non arguably totally worthless for them later on. If I was playing a HoCr on the other hand....

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd February 2011, 15:53

Do rings of regen work on mummies?

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 22nd February 2011, 20:24

So - what exactly are the Necromancy bonuses that mummies get at later levels? I've never gotten one to that point, and the manual and wiki entries aren't clear on that point.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 00:06

I think it increases spell power like a staff of necromancy and apparently they stack.
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Spell_power

Which brings me to this guy. I don't know what to do with him.
Lair and Orcish mines are cleared. Hive is cleared except for a place I'll need levitation or control teleport to get to.
  Code:

IceMum11 the Eclecticist (Mummy Ice Elementalist)                                                                  Turns: 74055, Time: 08:35:13

HP  83/83        AC 13     Str 11      Exp: 15/124994 (4), need: 22705
MP  36/36        EV 10     Int 22      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 1877        SH 13     Dex 12      Spells: 13 memorised,  5 levels left

Res.Fire  : x . .   See Invis. : +   (no weapon)
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   p - +3 leather armour of the Dragon {rPois Stl
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .   Q - +2 buckler
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .   Z - +0 spiked helmet
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .   z - +1 cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .   k - +0 pair of gauntlets
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .   K - +2 pair of boots
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   (no amulet)
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : .   H - +3 ring of intelligence
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .   F - ring of Xuskyfo {+Blink MR SInv}

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: in touch with death, cold resistance 1, life protection 3, poison resistance, torment resistance, unbreathing
a: Self-Restoration, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink

You are on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and seen 32 of its levels.
You have visited 1 portal chamber: ossuary.

You have collected 1857 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 b - an uncursed glowing orcish trident
 h - an uncursed dagger of flaming (quivered)
Armour
 g - a +2 orcish leather armour
 k - a +0 pair of gauntlets (worn)
 p - the +3 leather armour of the Dragon (worn) {rPois Stlth+}
   (You found it on level 12 of the Dungeon)   
   It protects you from poison.
   It makes you more stealthy.
 z - a +1 cloak (worn)
 K - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
 Q - a +2 buckler (worn)
 Z - a +0 spiked helmet (worn)
Magical devices
 a - a wand of teleportation
 d - a wand of confusion {zapped: 4}
 f - a wand of paralysis {zapped: 2}
 o - a wand of enslavement {recharged}
 u - a wand of lightning {zapped: 2}
 B - a wand of digging {zapped: 1}
 E - a wand of disintegration {zapped: 2}
Scrolls
 c - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 m - 2 scrolls of enchant armour
 q - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 s - 3 scrolls of detect curse
 M - a scroll of fog
 O - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon I
 S - 3 scrolls labeled KOLAR LOSKESED {tried}
 U - 3 scrolls of identify
 X - 4 scrolls of teleportation
Jewellery
 F - the ring of Xuskyfo (left hand) {+Blink MR SInv}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon)   
   [ring of protection from magic]
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It lets you blink.
 H - a +3 ring of intelligence (right hand)
Books
 i - a book of Frost   
   *Ozocubu's Armour                  Charms/Ice                   3

j - a book of Minor Magic [frost]   
   Blink                              Translocation                2
   Sticks to Snakes                   Transmutation                2
   *Slow                              Hexes                        3
   *Mephitic Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       3

l - a book of Minor Magic [frost]   
   Blink                              Translocation                2
   *Slow                              Hexes                        3

w - a book of War Chants {god gift}   
   Fire Brand                         Hexes/Fire                   2
   Freezing Aura                      Hexes/Ice                    2
   *Repel Missiles                    Charms/Air                   2
   Berserker Rage                     Charms                       3

x - a book of Clouds {god gift}   
   Evaporate                          Fire/Transmutation           2
   Conjure Flame                      Conjuration/Fire             3
   Tornado                            Conjuration/Air              9

A - a book of Changes   
   Fulsome Distillation               Transmutation/Necromancy     1
   Spider Form                        Transmutation/Poison         3
   Ice Form                           Ice/Transmutation            4
   Dig                                Transmutation/Earth          4
   Blade Hands                        Transmutation                5

C - a book of Necromancy {god gift}   
   Animate Dead                       Necromancy                   4

D - a book of Chemistry   
   Fulsome Distillation               Transmutation/Necromancy     1
   *Sublimation of Blood              Necromancy                   2
   *Condensation Shield               Ice/Transmutation            4

G - Sif Muna's Papyrus of Scorching Battle Magic {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)   
   Flame Tongue                       Conjuration/Fire             1
   Throw Flame                        Conjuration/Fire             2
   *Iskenderun's Mystic Blast         Conjuration                  4
   Fire Storm                         Conjuration/Fire             9

I - Sif Muna's Book of Aerial Attacks {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 2 of the Hive)   
   Sting                              Conjuration/Poison           1
   Flight                             Charms/Air                   4
   Sticky Flame                       Conjuration/Fire             4

L - a book of Conjurations [fire]   
   Throw Flame                        Conjuration/Fire             2
   Stone Arrow                        Conjuration/Earth            3
   Bolt of Magma                      Conjuration/Fire/Earth       5

R - Sif Muna's Catalogue of Flying Arcane Weapons {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)   
   Shock                              Conjuration/Air              1
   *Bolt of Cold                      Conjuration/Ice              6
   Lehudib's Crystal Spear            Conjuration/Earth            8

V - Sif Muna's Volume of Black Rituals {god gift}
   (Sif Muna gifted it to you on level 11 of the Dungeon)   
   Excruciating Wounds                Hexes/Necromancy             5
   Cigotuvi's Degeneration            Transmutation/Necromancy     5

Y - a book of the Dragon   
   Flight                             Charms/Air                   4
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        5
   Bolt of Fire                       Conjuration/Fire             6
   Dragon Form                        Fire/Transmutation           8
   Summon Dragon                      Summoning                    9

Magical staves
 e - a staff of air

You have 4 experience left.

Skills:
 - Level 1 Throwing
 - Level 2 Armour
 - Level 2 Dodging
 - Level 2 Stealth
 - Level 1 Shields
 + Level 15 Spellcasting
 - Level 12 Conjurations
 + Level 2 Charms
 + Level 7 Necromancy
 - Level 12 Ice Magic
 + Level 3 Air Magic
 + Level 2 Poison Magic
 - Level 4 Invocations
 + Level 1 Evocations

You have 5 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

d - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           #######...   Excellent   2    N/A
e - Mephitic Cloud        Pois/Air/Conj  ######....   Excellent   3    N/A
f - Condensation Shield   Ice/Trmt       ######....   Great       4    N/A
g - Slow                  Hex            ####.....    Good        3    N/A
h - Repel Missiles        Air/Chrm       #####.....   Great       2    N/A
i - Dispel Undead         Necr           #######..    Great       4    N/A
j - Pain                  Necr           #####        Excellent   1    N/A
k - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #######..    Excellent   4    N/A
l - Bolt of Cold          Ice/Conj       #######...   Very Good   6    N/A
m - Ozocubu's Armour      Ice/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   3    N/A

Branches:
Dungeon (13/27)            Temple (1/1) D:6             Orc (4/4) D:7
    Elf (1/5) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:9          Shoals (1/5) Lair:4
  Slime (1/6) Lair:7        Snake (1/5) Lair:5         Hive (2/2) D:12

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:8: *  D:10: (  D:11: (  Orc:4: (

Annotations
Lair:5 exclusion: oklob plant

You are in touch with the powers of death.
You can restore your body by infusing magical energy.

Message History

l - a book of Minor Magic [frost]
Y - a book of the Dragon
Char dumped successfully.
Save game and exit?
Welcome back, IceMum11 the Mummy Ice Elementalist.
Sif Muna whispers: I know many secrets...
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.

##...#        #####.......
      #....#       ##...#.......
     ##....#####  ##...........#
     #.....#...## #......r.....#
     #..........###...#.........
     ##.........##....##.#......
    ##.##........#..............
    #...P........!............<.
    #...............!...........
    #...................####...}
 ####.....................##....
 #........................#.^...
 ##.........|)@?..........##....
 ##....##....<>/................
 #........%...?=................
 #...........................#..
##..........................##..
f###...................##...###.
#.............#.................
#...............^...............
#...#.....................>.....
#...#.....###.......##..........
#.........# ##......###.........
####......#  ##.....##..........
   ########   ##...P#..........#

Which spells should I keep and which should I forget and what spell schools should I be training?
Air should get me freezing cloud castable reliably and get me levitation
Poison could get me poison cloud which seems nice.
Is it worth it to train translocations and hope I find or get gifted a book with control teleport?

I mean what exactly should a mummy be learning after Ice, Conjuration, and Necromancy are at a decent level.
Should I be training stealth? What about fighting?

Anyway plan is to go Snake next maybe try diving a little deeper into the dungeon as well. Unless the elven halls would be easier but they seem like they'd be much harder since some of the elves have fire attacks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 00:37

I'd stay out of Elf for the time being. You might check the robes and leather armor dropped in Orc for any that have resistance or fire resistance, because even with the small drop in AC compared to your artifact leather armor you'll be better off without that vulnerability.

I'd drop Mystic Blast because Throw Icicle is better in pretty much every way even against monsters that are cold-resistant. Condensation Shield is also kind of underwhelming for its mp cost, and you already have a buckler anyway so it isn't like you're going shieldless.

You might want to pick up Levitation/Flight, Blink, and Poisonous Cloud, and aim for picking up Haste when you get charms up high enough to cast it reliably.

Snake and Shoals should be reasonably safe as long as you stay out of the last level of the branch. Turn back if you see a nasty unique that would be risky to handle. Fire attacks aren't very common in either branch, fortunately. You can also go look for the entrance to Vaults, again turning back if you see a nasty unique. Naturally, watch out for anything out-of-depth.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 00:13

I have had lots of fun with MuSu of Sif Muna. Spammels, Scorpions, and finally Haunt. Who cares if you are only level 12 in the vaults anyway? Although this is the poster child class for what is (possibly) wrong with summoners. Still fun though.
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice