Unrand weapon generation probabilities

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 13:18

Unrand weapon generation probabilities

mageykun wrote:I have sworn an oath that as soon as I get a game where the Singing Sword actually generates, I'm going to use it for the rest of the game. I don't care how bad it breaks my current build or plans. =_=

This.

One of my big frustrations with unrand weapons is they tend to generate very late in the game. The Singing Sword before the end of Lair is interesting -- it's a fun weapon, and is at least fairly powerful, so I'll think about switching even if I've been pumping M+F or Polearms or something. If my aptitudes are poor, maybe not -- but again, I'll at least think about it.

However, finding it in a Zig or Tomb:3 or Dis:7 or even Vaults:8 is way less interesting. I'm heavily invested in my skill set at that point, so an artefact weapon isn't going to change anything.

Might it be worthwhile to make it more likely for unrand weapons to spawn early, and less likely to spawn late?
Last edited by njvack on Thursday, 24th May 2012, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix busted quote
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 13:39

Re: Unrand weapon generation probabilities

The problem I have with the Singing Sword is that it attracts danger. It's the only reason I don't use it, I think it doesn't allow for a character to avoid much. I guess it needs to be put away during exploration, then?

Maybe if you find The Shield of the Gong with the Singing Sword, you just throw your hands up, say "fuck it" and go for it?

Now I'm thinking of a vault with dozens of reaching skeletons and a dead body in the middle with the singing sword and shield of the gong, who died because he attracted all this danger.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 14:53

XuaXua wrote:Now I'm thinking of a vault with dozens of reaching skeletons and a dead body in the middle with the singing sword and shield of the gong, who died because he attracted all this danger.

You forgot Maxwell's patent armour. Note that those 3 items (and also the obsidian axe) can be found in the first room in zigsprint.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 16:16

There's quite a lot of early(ish) vaults for various unrands - submitting themed vaults for other interesting unrands is probably a good way to get them to spawn earlier/more often.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
njvack, xopods

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 17:36

MarvinPA wrote:There's quite a lot of early(ish) vaults for various unrands - submitting themed vaults for other interesting unrands is probably a good way to get them to spawn earlier/more often.

Rare serial vault containing the full set of Octopus King rings - good idea or bad idea?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 17:43

nicolae wrote:Rare serial vault containing the full set of Octopus King rings - good idea or bad idea?

Sounds awfully powerful...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 17:54

njvack wrote:
nicolae wrote:Rare serial vault containing the full set of Octopus King rings - good idea or bad idea?

Yeah, probably. Maybe one or two of the octopus king rings, with decreasing probabilities of more, until you get down to, like, one-in-a-million chance for all eight.

How likely is it to get the whole set of eight in a game usually?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 18:06

nicolae wrote:
njvack wrote:

Yeah, probably. Maybe one or two of the octopus king rings, with decreasing probabilities of more, until you get down to, like, one-in-a-million chance for all eight.

How likely is it to get the whole set of eight in a game usually?

Well you probably could get all of them if you scummed pan for tens of thousands of turns but I think your chances of getting all of them in one game are slim.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 18:09

galehar wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Now I'm thinking of a vault with dozens of reaching skeletons and a dead body in the middle with the singing sword and shield of the gong, who died because he attracted all this danger.

You forgot Maxwell's patent armour. Note that those 3 items (and also the obsidian axe) can be found in the first room in zigsprint.

Well, I thought pretty much everything can be found in the first room of zigsprint.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 18:10

1 or 2 Octo rings + Trident of Octo King... Always wanted to find that damn trident on my Op :(

Octopode/Kraken filled vault would be really awesome.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 25th May 2012, 13:25

XuaXua wrote:
Maybe if you find The Shield of the Gong with the Singing Sword, you just throw your hands up, say "fuck it" and go for it?

I just smiled reading this and weird images of a Warrior looking like Elric of Melnibone screaming like a Banshee among a throng of ennemies just poped in my mind.
It's still there and my co-workers wonder why i smile madly like this :mrgreen:

Return to Game Design Discussion