Spectator in WebTiles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 22:47

Spectator in WebTiles

Does anyone know if it would be possible to allow spectators to view read-only displays of the inventory screens,status, spell list and training screens on demand of the spectator. I really think this would be make it easier to learn things while watching since that would help you understand why folks are doing/making the decisions they are making and good players often go through these screens so fast that you can't really understand them.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 04:13

Re: Spectator in WebTiles

This is certainly not impossible, and it's something I have kind of planned, but there's much to do before it will be viable.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 04:50

Would it be easier to do an automatic char dump every time someone goes up/down stairs, call it spectators.txt, put a link to it at the top of the chat window?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 15:05

I second the OP's suggestion. I think this would be a fantastic addition to spectator mode, and would make it much easier to follow along while shadowing more experienced players.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 19th February 2012, 19:20

Mattchew: it will be too cumbersome. And do not forget about caching.

I vote for it, too. It always bothers me that the player I'm watching may get irritated of my requests to show his spell list.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Return to Game Design Discussion