In game weapon strength

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 5th January 2012, 10:10

In game weapon strength

I have so many good weapons and items that I cannot decide what to keep and what to use. So my wish is to have a system to show of hit strength, some kind of number to show this weapon is stronger than the other weapon. It would ideally take the weapon's speed and accuracy into consideration. I think there is a spreadsheet floating around(viewtopic.php?f=5&t=359) but it would be so much nicer if it was in-game.

For this message the author simon1tan has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th January 2012, 14:55

Re: In game weapon strength

I would love the game to show weapon accuracy and damage calculated for the current character statistics (Str/Dex/Weapon Skill/Fighting; alternately, Brand and associated variables) based on weapon wielded.
Adjusted for +/- bonuses when known, but defaulted to 0 when unknown.

I think that would help a lot of players, and I don't think it spoils anything.

Also enhancer staves should be explicit about their unmodifiable +0/+0.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th January 2012, 19:49

I'm also not advocating removing the base information for a weapon. Leave that info and add a second line showing how it works for the character when wielded with his current configuration (with shield, etc.). The SYSTEM knows it, it is information that really should be readily available to the player.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 5th January 2012, 20:21

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 6th January 2012, 02:32

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ombat_info states: "Most of this information is actually there for an observant player: By watching the hit/miss messages, you can get a feel for your accuracy in general and versus specific monsters. It's quite easy to tell how many turns it usually takes to kill a monster"

I disagree because monsters come with their own set of armor/weapons so each monster will fight differently. How are monster specs are calculated when spawned? Base + Random for strength, evasiveness, etc?

I appreciate not knowing an item until I learn about it(affected by intelligence?) but I don't think we should be expected to go to the internet to find out all the details. Experienced players may have come across the item before and know exactly what the item does while beginner players won't even get to use a powerful item.

Return to Game Design Discussion