Yet Another Branch Proposal: The Behemoth

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 21:43

Yet Another Branch Proposal: The Behemoth

The Behemoth

What shambling monstrosity is this? An enormous creature, the size of a mountain, trapped in the solid rock of the dungeon walls. All that is visible from here is the snapping maw, but if you dare to brave the razor sharp fangs and venture inside the Behemoth, you may discover the lost Beastly Rune of Zot.

Entry Vault and Branch Location

The entry to the Behemoth is always generated inside one of a set of predefined vaults. Each of these is in the shape of a mouth/head, and contains tiles for the teeth (possibly implemented as a trap). It also can contain a Unique (which, obviously, can't spawn anywhere else), the Tongue.

The Tongue cannot move, but can extend a little bit outside the mouth (like Kraken tentacles). It can Constrict (haven't read much on Constriction, but I understand it's coming), and can Trample characters into the teeth, causing damage. Maybe it can spit acid or fire too, to make up for it being tethered to the vault.

The Tongue should block the stairs to the branch, and act as a barometer of branch difficulty (i.e. a character that cannot defeat the Tongue easily is too weak to attempt the branch).

One possible Vault layout:
X = Wall
T = Tooth
t = tongue

Code:
XXXXXXX
XT T TX
      XXX
      t>X
      XXX
XT T TX
XXXXXXX

The vault (usually/always) is generated up against one of the outer walls of the level, giving the impression that the Behemoth is trapped in the wall.

I envision this as a possible alternate branch for the Slime Pits (which, after the development of the Spider branch would give a nice 2x2x2 symmetry to the Lair choice). This also fits thematically with the Lair,

Beast:1 The Digestive Tract

After passing through the mouth, the player finds themselves in a three-tile winding corridor that leads to a roughly circular chamber, the stomach.

In this chamber are acid pools of varying sizes. Every few tiles along the wall is a Calcified Lump, which the player can destroy. Behind each Calcified Lump is a 1x1 alcove that can contain nothing, or a hostile monster, loot, or the down stairs. The idea here is that the player is carving their way out of the stomach, and into the blood stream of the Behemoth.

In the stomach, the player will find large quantities of chunks and skeletons, as well as living monsters (perhaps taken from the same set that could be generated on the level the branch entry was) that have not yet been digested.

Loot in the Stomach has a higher than normal chance of being an artifact, having the rCorr property, or being otherwise immune to acid (e.g. gold) (since anything else would have been long since dissolved).

Optional: At the far side of the stomach to the entryway is a unique, the Valve (or Sphincter, no giggling from the audience). The Valve doesn't move, but instead blocks the way. Destroying the Valve reveals a tightly-packed winding 1-tile wide corridor that leads a brave adventurer out to another part of the dungeon.

This corridor (the intestines) contains some very tough monsters (since this is where the bulk of digestion happens), but provides a short-cut from the bottom of the Lair to <insert destination here, maybe the Vaults?>.

Beast:2-4 Bloodstream

The next few levels are the Bloodstream. The level design is one long winding corridor, 3-5 tiles that connects in a loop. Along the way the player might find branch specific vaults in the form of minor organs (see Beast:5), and some smaller corridors (capillaries) that branch off, and may contain the downstairs.

Monsters in these levels are predominantly Blood Cells. To begin with, the level is full (or almost full) of Red Blood Cells, which move randomly, and do little or no damage.

Everytime a Cell is killed, nearby Cells check for promotion to the next level.

Red: weak, melee only, little damage
White: stronger, melee only, medium damage
Black: strong, ranged attacks
Blue: strongest (blue-blood, get it?), magic attacks

Optional: There is a 'flow' to the level (clockwise or counterclockwise). Cells that haven't detected the player will only move in the direction of the flow (possibly allowing the player to slip past some of the more dangerous ones). The detection radius of a cell increases with its level (Red blood cells have a zero radius).

Beast:5 Heart/Brains/Lungs

The Branch ends with one of three (maybe four, see below) themed levels. Each is loosely tied to an element.

Brain-variant (elec): The three up-stairs on this level are always together, and always in a room in the bottom-centre of the map that has a corridor heading straight upwards and into a maze with lots of diagonal passageways and electric themed enemies.

Lung-variant (air): The three up-stairs on this level are always together, and always in a room in the top-centre of the map that has two exits, one to the left lung and one to the right. The Rune is randomly in either lung (so the player has a 50-50 chance of guessing correctly, or having to do both lungs). There would be a general symmetry in the shape of the level, but not necessarily the passageways (which would hopefully be in a kind of branching tree). Enemies include air elementals (the breath of the creature).

Heart-variant (water): Rune is in a central 2-3 chambered room. Lots of advanced Blood Cell enemies. In order to get the rune, parts of the heart need to be cut away to reveal the final chamber.

Optional: If the end-level/element pairing is appealing, I'd add 'Gall Bladder' and put a stone/earth theme together.
Last edited by TimP on Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author TimP has received thanks: 2
dolphin, Dustbin

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 21:45

Re: Yet Another Branch Proposal: The Behemoth

I would appreciate and and all suggestions, especially for other monster types, and ideas to tighten up the variants for the branch end.

I know there's a lot of work still to be done, but hopefully the idea gets people interested/excited. I haven't contributed to the game source yet, but I'm an able programmer, and would be happy to help implement this (but would need some guidance from an experienced dev).

The branch end is currently the weakest part of this idea, but I wanted to throw the idea out to see if there is any interest, and to get some feedback, before going further.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 22:01

A hopeless proposal, it seems.

However, I like it. As usual, I would suggest to start small: with a portal vault (this gives you the entry already plus a single level). The bloodstream idea is really nifty, in my opinion.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 22:41

Do it up like Metroid and rush the escape, lest the beast suffocate you with its death.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 03:09

Haha, make an extra portal to the slime pits at the end of the digestive track, like it pooped all the slimes out.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 04:25

Believe it or not I did consider that!

I think I'll wait until the New Year when I have some time off and see if I can turn it into a portal level, and see if there's enough there to take it further someday.

Time to read the source I guess.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 05:21

Konebred wrote:Haha, make an extra portal to the slime pits at the end of the digestive track, like it pooped all the slimes out.

I don't think I want to know the etiology of the royal jelly in this scenario...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 13:45

It's really original and worthwhile IMHO. But I think it would be aimed in the long term
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 16:31

Lovely proposal, wish it comes to fruition one day, TimP.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 21:56

I love the idea :D , especially the idea of finding misc monsters (or even unlucky uniques) inside the stomach that have been eaten!

I think it'd also be great if you couldn't exit back out the beast's mouth once you're inside, forcing you to fight your way out or flee in search of the exit, coming and going as you please from a giant living beast doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 23:11

Dustbin: if you want a single take at the thing, the natural solution would be "portal vault" instead of "branch". For a branch it seems unreasonable to ask for full commitment -- the rune lock proposal is much milder and people are already getting kicks over that.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 18:01

It makes more sense to be a portal vault anyway. Seriously, how many giant beasts would there be?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 15:00

A portal vault seems feasible and easier to design in different versions despite it reduces the size of the Behemoth to one single level, but it still allows modelling several stages of the monster anatomy as you walk deeper and farther from the mouth entrance: first room for the mouth cavity, then a neck/esophagus corridor, then an acidid stomach room, then veins...

Even some disconnected bubbles could be done instead of fully connected rooms as in Orc if the complete connection of anatomical rooms is too complicated.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 15:31

I agree. I have a baby arriving any day now, but in a month or so when things are stabilizing I'll ask for some directions on how to get starting with a portal vault.

The way the ice caverns work might be a good way to experiment with different 'levels' inside one level.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 15:37

Proper multi-level portal vaults will be possible soon AFAIK. Just keep in mind that portal vaults aren't supposed to be huge.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 16:56

Galefury wrote:Proper multi-level portal vaults will be possible soon AFAIK. Just keep in mind that portal vaults aren't supposed to be huge.

Much better then. Like a single-opportunity mini-branch.

o_O

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 04:42

Good idea. Sounds like you could do lots of interesting things with the behemoth and it would make a good later game non-demonic branch.

Also you could make 'medical condition' vaults for the beast. Giant spores in the bloodstream = fungal infection, demons in the brain = possession and so on.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 23:04

Long time since I've posted, but I really think this is one of the best proposals from an originality stand point! Also, the ideas behind things like the rcorr for items in the dig tract and other such ideas (50/50 runes for lungs) are just brilliant.

However, I'm really not keen on the blood stream thing, it somehow breaks the 'realism' a bit (cue 'BUT GIANT TOES AREN'T REALISTIC') I can't imagine a monster big enough for you to be able to swim in it's blood stream (let alone fight the actual blood cells), as well as being small enough for you to navigate through it's body without it taking forever. Not only this, but I think there are so many good (more simple) ideas that the blood stream element just adds unnecessary complication in my mind.

I also second that as a portal this would help keep it manageable, and I would love to see this as the first multi-tired one. Especially if it had an awesome multi tile mouth to enter in through!
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Return to Game Design Discussion