ioS version!?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 03:16

ioS version!?

I am obsessed with this game!

It's killing me.

And what's worse, I can't actually play it ALL of the time because if I am not at home... or work...

then all I have is my iPhone. Now I am sure I am not the first person to realize how awesome an iphone version would be. But I believe I AM the first person to suggest such a thing on these forums.

If you don't think it could work I must point you towards the excellt hack port on iphone which functions admirably and gives access to ALL commands. Their interface is almost perfect, and could be copied over pretty directly.

Any way, any thoughts on this? I know it represents a ton of work and is probably just a pipe dream but oh what a dream...

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 04:48

Re: ioS version!?

It would be incredibly awesome if Crawl could one day be turned into an webapp, playable on any platform through Chrome...

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 09:12

Chris Galardi a.k.a ixtli has been working on an iPad port; I believe some of the code was committed to the master, but there is more work to be done, and ixtli has been less active lately.

--Eino

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 10:38

I guess it's outside the spirit of a project like this...

but you guys could charge a ton for an iphone version, I would gladly pay.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 12:32

As I said on the other forum, I hope to port crawl to android in the coming months (hope that's vague enough ;) ). My target platform is a 7" 800x480 tablet, which happens to be the smallest resolution supported by crawl. Porting to iPhone would need to refactor the interface even more to handle the small screen . The iPhone 4 resolution seems to be good enough, but given the pixel density, I guess we would still need to change the interface.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 19:23

I'm just going to move this to interface & software...

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 20th December 2010, 21:17

I don't know about IoS but I actually got it playing on android just by downloading a standard SSH client and connecting to CAO. I suspect you will also be able to find an SSH client in the ioS app store. But since you dont have a physical keyboard on your iWhatever, im not sure how well you'll actually be able to fit the game screen plus an onscreen keyboard.

I managed to actually play pretty well but i didnt try for that long. I was just mostly curious if i could get it to work more than anything.

If youre trying it on a tablet it just might work. The font was pretty small on my phone screen :D

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 11:30

Virtual keyboards actually work surprisingly fine - you can do most of the movement with autoexplore and travel commands.

--Eino

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 23:20

I've been playing on the iPad with iSSH. It's been working great. It was a transparent keyboard, so you can see both it and the game screen nicely. And it has a configurable pie menu that you can set up for movement and fighting.

Return to Technical Support