Where are these data from?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 8th October 2019, 18:14

Where are these data from?

I have been told that the average number of Amnesia scrolls one finds in a 3-rune game are 14. Since I am now in my fifth game in a row with 4 runes, in each game of which I have found less than 4 scrolls, I feel perplexed. I do not wish to doubt the power of RNJesus, nor do I wish to whine, I would like to know, however, the source of the data that has been given. What, exactly, has been averaged, by whom? Or is this from the source code? Thanks in advance

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th October 2019, 19:10

Re: Where are these data from?

onomastikon wrote:I have been told that the average number of Amnesia scrolls one finds in a 3-rune game are 14. Since I am now in my fifth game in a row with 4 runes, in each game of which I have found less than 4 scrolls, I feel perplexed. I do not wish to doubt the power of RNJesus, nor do I wish to whine, I would like to know, however, the source of the data that has been given. What, exactly, has been averaged, by whom? Or is this from the source code? Thanks in advance

There's a thing called "objstats" which basically lets a dev build a special version of Crawl that runs through all the item generation stuff and reports back totals/averages etc. across a large number of generated games, this takes a long time, so they don't do it very often (Plus you have to select like, what branches appear, and what portions of the game are included, so it's not like a super automated process)

One of the devs (Gammafunk) takes it upon himself to run those stats periodically, and upload them to a google docs spreadsheet here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... WhLVWRXbG8

That has all the data from the passes He's done to generate statistics
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
onomastikon

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 11th October 2019, 11:15

onomastikon wrote:I have been told that the average number of Amnesia scrolls one finds in a 3-rune game are 14.

It's worth noting that that 14 includes 1 in Zot (where you might not have been yet), the assumption you can go in and clear every portal branch you find (about another 1 total), 0.7 of a scroll in Crypt, 0.9 of a scroll in Elf... so while you may have had poor luck (or have uncleared exclusions / runed doors?) that headline figure of 14 can be a bit misleading.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

For this message the author damerell has received thanks:
onomastikon

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 11th October 2019, 20:08

Thanks. I usually do clear all those branches first before getting further runes, so: sadly not part of the mystery.
Currently on a character with 6 runes now, and again have found a total of 3 amnesia scrolls, decided to try my zig now in the hopes of getting a few, currently on lvl 17 and gotten buckets of rarer things but not a single amnesia. Not a sausage. I must be dragging the statistics way down to the cellar!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice