Which axe is better?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 21:22

Which axe is better?

So I'm playing a HOBe and have been romping around with a +9 Executioner's Axe of Electrocution and I just got a god gift that seems like it may be worth using...

+13 Battleaxe {chop, -Tele +Inv rC++ Stlth+}

Should I continue on with the Executioner's axe or is the damage from the battleaxe comparable? My Axe's skill is 21.5

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 21:27

Re: Which axe is better?

Exec axe no question. They're comparable in damage at your current skill level (and Exec axe will strongly dominate in damage the more you get closer to min delay skill at 26, really easy to do with +3 apts), and most importantly -Tele can be a death sentence.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 21:32

Awesome! I'll continue on with the Exec axe then! I've been pretty much steam rolling everything so figured -Tele wouldn't be too bad... till it was I guess. :P

Thanks for the helpful info and prompt response!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 23:35

-Tele on a weapon is completely meaningless since you can just unwield it. Electrocution brand makes the exec axe a little better anyway though.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 00:10

Would the battleaxe with invisibility activated beat the exe axe?

Also, can you become invisible thanks to a weapon, then swap it and remain invisible?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 00:38

Yes against enemies without SInv.

No, you become visible as soon as you unwield the battleaxe.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks: 5
Blobbo, duvessa, Gigaslurp, nago, Shtopit

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 10:52

It really doesn't matter: both axes are good. -Tele on a weapon doesn't mean anything.

Battleaxes outdamage exec axes (of comparable enchantments, brands etc.) till your Axes skill reaches about 23 or 24 etc. I'm too lazy to run fsim right now, but I'd guess that the battleaxe is better right now, but the exec axe would be better eventually.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 11:05

Am I the only person who almost died due to -Tele on weapon/amulet? I was fighting a pack of monsters, then some unlucky rolls and I needed to blink but couldn't. When you have more than 1 monster in view, you can be hit again after taking -Tele item off before you have a chance to read scroll of blinking.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Blobbo

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 12:33

I always die with -tele. Because I always have that time I need to blink away immediately and I can't.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 2
Blobbo, Rast

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 15:01

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Am I the only person who almost died due to -Tele on weapon/amulet? I was fighting a pack of monsters, then some unlucky rolls and I needed to blink but couldn't. When you have more than 1 monster in view, you can be hit again after taking -Tele item off before you have a chance to read scroll of blinking.

Solution in an hypothetical optimal play: don't fight pack of potentially dangerous monsters, like while having other things that could trigger bad status (berkertitis, sac courage, *corrode, whatever)

As long as you remember you need 0.5 turn more to ?blink I believe is very difficult to end in a situation where -tele kills you against a single dangerous monster.

I mean, autoexplore\tele\zot trap could put you in a die-right-next-turn-spot but that are extremely rare cases!
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 20:57

nago wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:Am I the only person who almost died due to -Tele on weapon/amulet? I was fighting a pack of monsters, then some unlucky rolls and I needed to blink but couldn't. When you have more than 1 monster in view, you can be hit again after taking -Tele item off before you have a chance to read scroll of blinking.

Solution in an hypothetical optimal play: don't fight pack of potentially dangerous monsters, like while having other things that could trigger bad status (berkertitis, sac courage, *corrode, whatever)

As long as you remember you need 0.5 turn more to ?blink I believe is very difficult to end in a situation where -tele kills you against a single dangerous monster.

I mean, autoexplore\tele\zot trap could put you in a die-right-next-turn-spot but that are extremely rare cases!

Well, tele trap couldn't while using a -tele weapon, but autoexplore and zot traps could ;)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 21:04

I find -tele on items to be deeply irritating, because I forget about it and then want to blink or something and then it's all "haha you need to unwield that"

It's not an important property, but it is an annoying property, and avoiding annoying things is a big part of my crawl strategy.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 21:19

nago wrote:As long as you remember you need 0.5 turn more to ?blink
Not even that. Unwielding a weapon only takes 3 aut, not 5.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Blobbo, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th September 2017, 06:59

My problem is that -tele weapon should be really great specifically vs groups, it is rare to have problems with single non-uniques. So -tele weapons are unusable by me, either I don't need them or they kill me
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 21st September 2017, 17:13

This is circumstantial, but there are some enemies where having -Tele can actually keep you immune to annoying blink other effects, as well as being a great way to dodge teleport trap effects.

Also, like people said here, just unwield it if you need to blink/tele.

For this message the author Alphaeus has received thanks:
Airwolf

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice