Magical Staves Ought to Default to {!a}

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 16:48

Magical Staves Ought to Default to {!a}

The base weapon class is horrible, half the staves don't do anything special in melee, and of those that do it takes a lot of investment before it's worthwhile. Currently these are a newbie trap, but I recognize that my suggestion is interface-spoilery if a player doesn't know how to turn off the inscription when they actually want to swing with it.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 21:38

Re: Magical Staves Ought to Default to {!a}

Staves of energy, wizardry, power, conjurations, and summoning should be changed to confirm on attacking, like attacking barehanded or with a ranged weapon. No need for an inscription.
remove Siegurt's signature

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 21:55

Magic staves are a mess.

They should refactored as offhand items rather than melee weapons. Worn in the shield slot, but not using the shield skill or providing any SH.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 9
dracos369, duvessa, kroki, nago, Shard1697, Spectrina, Speleothing, Steel Neuron, yesno

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 8th January 2017, 21:24

Cimanyd wrote:Staves of energy, wizardry, power, conjurations, and summoning should be changed to confirm on attacking, like attacking barehanded or with a ranged weapon. No need for an inscription.

really elegant love it
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th January 2017, 22:44

I'm not sure why magic boosts should compete with shields.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 00:42

Lasty wrote:I'm not sure why magic boosts should compete with shields.
they already do if you're a spriggan, or (somehow) think majin-bo is a good item

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 01:48

Better than them competing with weapons. And getting a janky attack that is based on your skill in a spell school and evocations. And having to swap them with a real weapon when you need to kill something tough in melee.

Also:

vs

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 3
dracos369, nago, Shard1697

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 21:44

Moving staves to shield slot solves hassle involving playing optimally, especially using staff of power (swapping once you expend your bonus MP). I doubt it's much of a concern, but removing magical staves as a melee weapon might prevent a "noob trap" , since the consensus among good players back when I was playing seemed to be that they're trash and it takes a ton of XP to even be somewhat comparable to a good melee option. I doubt this has changed. The current interface is kinda bad for telling players how much of a bonus they're getting from evocations/spellschool training anyway.

As duvessa mentioned, this is already a problem for Spriggans. It's not the only instance where you're asked to sacrifice defenses for spell power, either, since Archmagi is a robe ego (at least I'm assuming it still exists, I can't remember when I've last worn a robe).

This change would also add a bit of choice to what is currently a no-brainer: whether or not you should use a shield on a Formicid. Currently all Formicids want to use a shield no matter what type of character you are, the only exception being followers of Ru.

For this message the author Spectrina has received thanks: 3
dracos369, Rast, Shard1697

Return to Game Design Discussion