Builds for extended game

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 15:51

Builds for extended game

Hey all,

yesterday i had my first win with a NaWz, and now i want to see the extended game. I wonder what species/backgrounds are considered good for the extended game.

Or is it a matter of taste and are there no bad combo's?

One way i want to try the wizard again, cause i didn't see its full power yet. But on the other hand i aint sure if he is strong enough for extended game (vs for example a more hybrid build).

Any tips are welcome :D.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 16:05

Re: Builds for extended game

By the time you get to the extended game, your initial background mostly doesn't matter any more as you could have learned almost any skill by the time you get there.

The most obvious exception is if you started as a berserker, as Trog prevents you from using spells and abandoning him is not for the faint-hearted.

Some gods are also less recommended in the extended game, so if you start as say a Death Knight, you might want to think about your strategy for abandoning Yred at some point.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 16:26

One of the classic pure melee builds is a strong-species (MD or Mi) fighter/gladiator of Okawaru with a late-game switch to TSO. I'd prefer Minotaurs, due to their aptitude in Long Blades - when blessed, these get most of a buff in addition to the holy wrath. Try to train Shields along the way.
Oka's gifts will slowly, but surely fill pretty much every armor slot and grant you a double sword or even a katana over the game.
Clear Lair and the subsequent three branches plus the Vaults plus the early Zot under Oka, but stay out of the Crypt. Then, switch to TSO and immediately go for the Crypt. The undead there will easily get you to 5* piety, 6* if you're lucky and not using the abilities much.
Then bless your katana/ double sword, enchant it as much as you can and go for a killing spree to Pan and Hells.
Never forget that although you're a tank, Hell can get you some serious nuclear bombardment - play it safe.
Don't ever dare Tomb or Zot:5 with teleportitis.

For some inspiration about this build, check this YAVP of mine :).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 16:29

speciesxx wrote:Or is it a matter of taste and are there no bad combo's?

Of course there are bad combos, a Minotaur Enchanter won't fare very well, nor will an Octopode Berserker. And 15 rune wins with no spells are strictly for Crawl masters, I'd say.

speciesxx wrote:One way i want to try the wizard again, cause i didn't see its full power yet. But on the other hand i aint sure if he is strong enough for extended game (vs for example a more hybrid build).

Wizards are a solid choice (like pretty much all conjuration-oriented spellcasters, at the end of the day the starting background won't matter later on when you have most spells at your disposal). Good if you want to take the steamroll approach to the extended endgame and destroy everything you meet with high-level conjurations. In 0.9 though, the races with the best aptitudes for the job have a bit of a harder time due the change in the HP formula which means they'll have significantly less HP even if when grind fighting skill to high levels, and ice/fire storm and tornado having been nerfed (which, incidentally, means having high HP is even more important than before). Even then a DEWz (or a DEWhatever, really) is a monster if you know how to exercise caution.
In my experience hybrids need to ninja around a fair bit on rune levels to avoid being surrounded by things that can torment/smite/hellfire them or otherwise have high damage output and that they can't take out fast enough.
Still, the easiest 15 rune win I had was with a DDNe (of Makhleb, obviously), played as a hybrid with medium armour, the whole range of charms, necromutation and controlled blink. In the extended endgame the lowest my HP ever got was around 160 when meleeing Mnoleg while also surrounded by tentacled monstrosites. Still, I ninjaed most of the Hell and Pan runes as I wasn't confident on my chances to take on heavy hitters like Cerebov or Antaeus. Again, in 0.9 this would be a bit harder as Makhleb has been nerfed (not sure how much, though) by I reckon they're still on the "easymode" side of things.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 16:34

asdu wrote: And 15 rune wins with no spells are strictly for Crawl masters, I'd say.

Not true.
I certainly am no master, in fact, I fulfill the awful players definition (enter "awful players" to see those criteria) - and still I got lucky enough to get a pure-melee all-runer. See the link in my previous post in this topic to see that this is totally possible, if with a lot of luck.

To return to the topic:
You may try a shot on the Poison Arrow Gatling Gun - a Spriggan Venom Mage of Vehumet, with Haste, DMsl and maxed out Spellcasting, Conjurations and Poison Magic. This is a perfectly viably build for a normal win, and if you get lucky with your equipment, an all-runer is possible (and was done (by me ;) ))
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 19:02

It's hard to go wrong with a HeCr or a HeWz for a 15 runer. Great aptitudes in long blades, spellcasting, and air magic, good-ish hp, and great stats. I like to go Oka=>Tso with the build.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2011, 15:33

You actually level long blades skill as well? :O

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2011, 17:42

EE shatter ninja'ing for 15 runes felt fairly easy, it was quite fun to bust into pan/hell lords homes and steal their stuff before they saw me.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 21st July 2011, 03:26

@speciesxx
Congrats on first win!

I'm really interested in trying an extended game too, and thinking about NaWz melee/conjurer hybrid. (my theorycrafting from here)

Comparing HE's to nagas, nagas get much more HP, for example, at XL27 with 20 Fighting:
211 vs 257 (0.8)
204 vs 250 (0.9)
not counting other small naga bonuses. The only downside is speed. I have never been past Lair with naga and very curious, how does it play? Is slow speed an issue, can you kite stuff with Swiftness? With Haste? Did you cast Ozo armour a lot, or natural AC is good enough to skip it?

Because:

If slow speed is not critical, then naga hybrid would be easier than HE hybrid, as aptitudes are probably not important at this point if they are at least not below zero.
If using Swiftness/Ozo a lot, you can go standard Ice/Air path with melee.
If you can get by with only Haste and without Ozo, you can also go Fire/Earth with Crystal spear for single target damage. I actually want to try this, since my ascended character was an ice conjurer, but not sure if it's a better option.

For god, probably Vehumet or Oka->TSO.
Draconians would probably be good too, but they are less predictable with their mutations and I didn't even try them seriously.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 21st July 2011, 15:45

Thanks hydralisk :).

About the NaWz i played, i can tell you the following.
The slow speed is not -that- bad, as long as you are careful. Running away is just very hard or impossible at the start and maybe even midgame (depends on the luck of spells ofc). As long as you know what is coming, it aint that bad. And if you need to escape, there is blink, scroll of blink, teleport... or blocking a coridor with the fire spell.
From the midgame once i found flight and swiftness, i did keep them on 100% of the time (made a macro to cast them both with 1 button). This helps a lot ofcourse, and did save me a few times. But keep in mind you cannot kite -that- far, cause eventually the buffs will fall off and need recasting :P.

Regarding the AC/EV spells, i didn't use it that much. Mostly i found it easier to have some more MP left (after casting flight+swiftness) to nuke some baddies, instead of buffing more. Ofc this will be less of an issue with a mre hybrid build. I did use phase shift a bit (+EV), and also deflect missles.

The one thing i would prefer DE/HE before Naga would be MP pool. I am not sure about the exact numbers, but i felt a bit low on MP all the time, especially in the end game. Even when using a staff which gave me some extra MP, i felt it was a bit low.

But ofcourse the HP... that is nice about being a Naga :D. More is always nice tbh.

In the end i guess it comes down to a bit of speed difference, and HP vs MP.
For a hybrid, Naga does seem to be more logical, as you're more often toe to toe with baddies.

About dracoinians, don't you mean demonspawn? Or do you mean the color they get at lvl 7? :D.

Edit: atm i am playing a pure melee char... and i miss my wizard now :(.
After this one i gonna play another wizard and see how far i can come. Not sure about the species yet though hehe.

Edit 2: how are the HPs calculated? i tried to do the maths but i can't seem to do it right lol.

Starting HP:
Naga: 2
Wizard: 8
MaxHP base: 111
MaxHP Naga: 27
Fighting skill: 1HP * 20 * 5 = 100

2 + 8 + 111 + 27 + 100 = 248

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 21st July 2011, 17:13

The one thing i would prefer DE/HE before Naga would be MP pool. I am not sure about the exact numbers, but i felt a bit low on MP all the time, especially in the end game. Even when using a staff which gave me some extra MP, i felt it was a bit low.
Looked through YAVP-posts... 50 vs 49 MP, yeah, that's quite a big difference. :D

About dracoinians, don't you mean demonspawn? Or do you mean the color they get at lvl 7? :D.
Yes, I mean their color and aptitudes that come with it. However, that comes quite early in the game, so you can most probably adapt.
Sadly, I didn't play demonspawn and know almost nothing about them, except they get random good mutations, but can't get along with TSO (however, they're fine with Vehumet).

Edit: atm i am playing a pure melee char... and i miss my wizard now :(.
After this one i gonna play another wizard and see how far i can come. Not sure about the species yet though hehe.
+1. Filled the saves directory with bones-files of MiFi's and MDFi's, started NaWz of Oka and doing just fine, but will probably die pretty soon because of no books in Lair. :)

Edit 2: how are the HPs calculated? i tried to do the maths but i can't seem to do it right lol.
I dunno lol ¯\(°_o)/¯
I found this link somewhere: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CNSFv_8J
Current=0.8, new=trunk.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 15:54

If you go Okawaru.... in 10 gifts, i got 8 shields :S

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 24th July 2011, 19:44

speciesxx wrote:If you go Okawaru.... in 10 gifts, i got 8 shields :S

Don't you ever dare to to improve Thorwing too much.
You will drown in darts gifts.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2011, 14:50

Eek... that sounds painful lol

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 02:36

speciesxx wrote:Hey all,

yesterday i had my first win with a NaWz, and now i want to see the extended game. I wonder what species/backgrounds are considered good for the extended game.

Or is it a matter of taste and are there no bad combo's?

One way i want to try the wizard again, cause i didn't see its full power yet. But on the other hand i aint sure if he is strong enough for extended game (vs for example a more hybrid build).

Any tips are welcome :D.

Of course there are bad combos. Some combos barely have a chance at getting 15 runes, while some slightly inferior combos definitely have a shot at it.

I think the biggest factor for postgame is race. Your class is just your starting kit. Even a berserker could leave Trog and become a spellcaster, in theory. So the Wizard kit is nice for the early game, then you can pretty much make your character however you want. I've started Wizards that end up good at melee, no problem.

Though race is important, some racial differences aren't. Good skill aptitudes help in the early, mid, and even endgame, but postgame, you'll get plenty of exp for all the important stuff. Certain innate abilities and max HP are most important, so the best races for postgame would be good to go on those.

This is a lot of theory-crafting on my part, since I can barely make it past Zot, but my thoughts on some choices, based on reading up on what better players say:

High Elves, Deep Elves, Merfolk, Spriggans: Easy early game, decent postgame. It goes without saying that the easier your early game is, the more likely you are to get to the postgame, but the low hp of the elves and Spriggan hurts you. Spriggan's speed is kinda moot later on, since spells can give the same speed, but I suppose it helps a bit if you get caught with low mp or something, but you miss out on gear, which further hurts your survivability. The hunger issue isn't huge, but I guess you'd wanna wait a little longer to start casting your high level spells until you bring the spell hunger down.

Mummy: Pretty good. It's basically permanent Necromutation, but consider that you can get Necromutation castable reliably with some other races before a Mummy can get some of it's high level spells castable. Not to mention you can't turn alive as a Mummy, so you can never use potions, cast regenerate or certain other spells on yourself, and you're really vulnerable to Dispel Undead. I like to be flexible in choosing my form.

Demonspawn: Complete crapshoot. Could end up being one of the best, or below average (or a bit bad, if monstrous). Demonic Guardian 3 is great, but sometimes they can get in the way of your spells, so you'll probably wanna go with Fire Storm, or be content with hitting them with Ice Storm or Tornado. On the flip side, Ice Mail will make casting fire spells a hassle. A bit annoying, in my experience, because I usually end up quitting if I get bad or meh mutations. (Claws are my least favorite body slot mutation, because if you wield a weapon and a shield or a 2-handed weapon, you don't even get auxiliary unarmed attacks. Also, you WILL go tons of games without finding boots of speed, them find them as soon as you roll a DS with a feet-slot mutation. :evil: )

Naga: One of the best. Huge hp, and their only weakness can be overcome with spells. You don't have to waste equipment slots on rpois and sinv. You're bound to find a good barding eventually. A little extra ac is nice. I find their early game kinda hard, but later on, they have few restrictions.

Deep Dwarf: Great but tricky to learn. You probably wanna go with Makhleb or Vehumet.

Vampires: Interesting, because unlike Mummies, they can go alive or undead at will. Better apts than Mummies, too. Good in theory, annoying to play in practice.

Sif Muna: My current favorite. I like quick access to key spells, some books might not even spawn over the course of a whole game, and reliable channeling is something I use constantly, compared to fancier god abilities that I only end up using occasionally, to preserve piety. Also, forgetting spells is handy if you don't happen to have any amnesia scrolls, and don't wanna destroy the spell's book.

TSO: I've actually never used him before. Seems like you're basically trading one means of dealing with demons/undead for another. My impression is that I'd rather have torment immunity via lich form, but I dunno. I thought I heard something about getting Okawaru wrath if you convert to TSO, though, which would make me less likely to go with him.

Nemelex: A little risky, but great power and versatility. My second-favorite god, got me my first victory. I'd probably go with him all the time if I weren't so paranoid about going a whole game without finding one or more key books.

Ashenzari: Never tried him either. I really don't like the idea of being restricted in swapping out equipment. Cuts you off from key resists and situational needs. I don't really see myself needing anything related to skill boosts in the post game, but I'd definitely consider Ashenzari for a 3 runer.

Makhleb and Vehumet, I'd mostly just use them for classes that don't (easily) regenerate.

And then I narrow it down by spell schools, what with the crosstraining penalty.

Fire vs. Ice: I gotta give it to Ice. Fire Storm being smite-castable is mighty handy, but Ice Storm generally does more damage, and other ice spells have a lot of utility and decent damage, whereas other fire spells are just decent damage.

Air vs. Earth: Gotta give it to Air, if only for Deflect Missiles.

I probably wouldn't bother crosstraining a penalized skill more than a couple of levels. I'd rather focus on my main spellcasting skills, fighting, dodging, shields, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 18:24

Did he used to?

I forgot to mention, even starting stats aren't that important, since any good race will have decent stats by post-game time.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 00:07

Zicher wrote:One of the classic pure melee builds is a strong-species (MD or Mi) fighter/gladiator of Okawaru with a late-game switch to TSO. I'd prefer Minotaurs, due to their aptitude in Long Blades - when blessed, these get most of a buff in addition to the holy wrath. Try to train Shields along the way.
Oka's gifts will slowly, but surely fill pretty much every armor slot and grant you a double sword or even a katana over the game.
Clear Lair and the subsequent three branches plus the Vaults plus the early Zot under Oka, but stay out of the Crypt. Then, switch to TSO and immediately go for the Crypt. The undead there will easily get you to 5* piety, 6* if you're lucky and not using the abilities much.
Then bless your katana/ double sword, enchant it as much as you can and go for a killing spree to Pan and Hells.
Never forget that although you're a tank, Hell can get you some serious nuclear bombardment - play it safe.
Don't ever dare Tomb or Zot:5 with teleportitis.

The Oka->TSO switch works well with skald type hybrid characters too. Really, it is good for any character that does most of their damage by ways of hitting monsters with a weapon. After all, a blessed weapon is a huge boon for the extended endgame (katanas are gone now, but demon blades took their place).

I suggest switching before doing vault 8 and elf though. The rN+++ is useful for keeping you from getting drained by shadow dragons on vault 8 and random elves in elf. The slotless sInv is nice to have for elf too. Plus, saving elf lets you do something a little less dangerous while you burn off some Okawaru hate.

Shields are well and good for three rune games, but for the extended endgame I think that two handers are probably better. You can certainly do fine with a one hander and a shield, but the extra damage from a two handed weapon will probably end up preventing more damage to you in the end. You want to kill anything with torment or hellfire as quickly as possible. A blessed triple sword or executioner axe is like swinging around an atomic bomb on a stick when fighting demons and undead.

As for tomb, it is mostly an exercise is stairdancing as a melee TSO worshiper. You can outrun all of the mummies, after all. Draw priests/greaters to the LOS of the steps, and go up. Heal, go back down, go up, and repeat until they are close enough to you that you can 'safely' whack them or draw them up. 'Safely' always being a relative term when it comes to tomb. The initial decent into tomb 2 is still probably one of the most dangerous parts of the extended endgame though. Tomb 3 isn't as bad, as you aren't completely surrounded.

For this message the author FilthyApe has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, joellercoaster

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice