Unable to load CAO

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 03:08

Unable to load CAO

Whenever I try to load the lobby for CAO, all I get is Loading... at the top of the screen indefinitely.

To give some backstory, I had crawl running earlier and I fell asleep logged in. My PC automatically put itself to sleep, and when I came back and opened the tab for crawl, I had been disconnected. No big deal, right? Since then, however, I have not been able to load the lobby at all. I've also tried direct URls to play .18 (my current game), to play .17, and to spectate. All of these also result in indefinite loading.

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know of a fix?

Edit: Notably I am able to load the scoring, morgue, etc. pages on CAO.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 04:37

Re: Unable to load CAO

Happened to myself today as well. I was playing a game of trunk when I noticed a severe lag issue. So I Cntrl-S to save and refresh and from that point on I get nothing but a black screen saying the website is loading. Can still access crawl scoring pages and the other crawl servers but CAO is just a constant black screen with the loading message at the top. Can't spectate games in progress on CAO either. It sucks too, I finally got a good start on a warper after countless tries. I definitely think it is a problem with the CAO server or coding because everything else is working normally.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 04:43

Are either of you connecting via a HTTP proxy? Do either of these links work?
https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks:8081/
https://crawl.project357.org/

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 04:50

Both links work. I can also access all the crawl servers and scoring pages. CAO however is just a black screen. I was actually in game when it happened.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 05:07

Then I suspect you have been put behind a HTTP proxy which doesn't support websockets, and the proxy is passing through (eg ignoring) HTTPS connections (which is why those two servers work).

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 05:46

So the server loaded, let me log in, but when I clicked "Play .18" or whatever it says, I'm now stuck on the splash screen with another indefinite load. rip crawl.

Also, chequers, I read what you replied but as someone who is only functionally computer literate, I really have no idea what it means nor how I would go about fixing it.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 05:59

My previous post is only in the case where visiting the game server gives "Loading..." in white on black text forever. If you can log in, the problem is not a proxy.

For your problem, I suspect the issue may be slow internet connection. What country do you live in? When you try to start a game and it hangs forever, wait two minutes, and refresh. You might need to do this a few times. Sometimes on slow connections the game can't manage to download resources, because the connection gets interrupted, and it doesn't have good error handling when this happens. Refreshing can let it load a few resources at a time until they're all downloaded.

Another possibility is that you installed noscript, or some other javascript blocker.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 09:34

I'm in the US. I've been playing on the CAO server since January with no issues.

My problem has once again reverted to just "Loading..." when I try to connect to the lobby. I don't believe I have installed anything recently that would muck up my connection. I had been playing earlier no problem before I fell asleep and I haven't installed anything since.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 15:36

Try downloading a different browser and see if you still have the problem (that will at least tell us where the problem is)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 22:49

I forgot to mention in my original post that I tried links in Chrome browser, Firefox, and IE, all to on avail.

Fortunately, everything is running fine for me again. Hopefully it continues that way.

Return to Technical Support