Wendigo - Giant caster race

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 01:38

Wendigo - Giant caster race

I looked online for mythological giant sorcerers. Native Americans have many legends that fit the description. Wendigo are the most well known. They are evil, cannibalistic, ever hungry, demon shapechanger spirits. They usually have the horns of an elk, the claws of a bear and the teeth of a wolf (my guess from the images I looked over). I used Ogres, Trolls and Vampires as a base to compare. I considered Wendigo as undead Native Americans for their skill base. Basically, they are a non-regenerating troll with smaller horns, teeth and claws that casts magic.

What do you think?
RE-EDITED STATS IN ANOTHER COMMENT BELOW

Wendigo

The Wendigo was gaunt to the point of emaciation, its desiccated skin pulled tautly over its bones. With its bones pushing out against its skin, its complexion the ash gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into their sockets, the Wendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave. What lips it had were tattered and bloody [....] Unclean and suffering from suppurations of the flesh, the Wendigo gave off a strange and eerie odor of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption.

Innate abilities
Tough skin 1: Wendigo have +1 AC

Wendigo are large creatures. Unlike smaller species, they can use giant clubs and giant spiked clubs, but cannot wear any armour but robes, cloaks, animal skins, troll hides, troll leather armours, dragon hide, or dragon armour. Bucklers are also too small for them, but they can wield shields and large shields more easily than normal.

Wendigo are large enough to attack at normal speed while standing in shallow water )though they still move slowly through it).

Wendigo have a base strength of 12, intelligence of 7 and Dexterity of 5 (before background modifiers) and normal base magic points.

Preferred backgrounds - Assassin, Abyssal Knight, Tramsmuter, Wizard, Necromancer

Level Bonuses - +1 str or int every 4th level
10% more hp and 10% more mp than average
+4 magic resistance/level
foul stench 1 at level 8

Starting skills unchanged

Skill Aptitudes
Combat
Fight 3, short blades -1, long blades -4, axes -1, mace -1, polearms -1, staves -2, unarmed combat 3
Throwing 1, sling -3, bow -2, xbow -4
armor -3, dodge -1, stealth 1, shield -2
Magic
fire -3, ice -3, air -3, earth -2, poison -2
spellcasting 0, conjurations -1, hexes 1, charms -2, summoning -2, necromancy 2, translocations -2, tramsmutations 2
Invocations 0, evocations 0, experience 0
Last edited by BTA on Monday, 7th March 2016, 22:10, edited 2 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 01:55

Re: Wendigo - Giant caster race

If your species proposal contains the phrase "Same as [other race] except" you should probably reconsider your species proposal.

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 02:11

OK, I'll write it out.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 04:43

Going transmutation+unarmed build in crawl is already pretty good... this race would make it even easier.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 07:12

So, um, why are they a "caster race" when most of their caster apts are deep in the negatives and their base Int is much lower than their base Str? Because of +10% MP?

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 08:15

Sar wrote:So, um, why are they a "caster race" when most of their caster apts are deep in the negatives and their base Int is much lower than their base Str? Because of +10% MP?

+1
this isn't a caster race. this is a UC/transmuter race

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 10:57

ydeve wrote:
Sar wrote:So, um, why are they a "caster race" when most of their caster apts are deep in the negatives and their base Int is much lower than their base Str? Because of +10% MP?

+1
this isn't a caster race. this is a UC/transmuter race

lethediver wrote:Going transmutation+unarmed build in crawl is already pretty good... this race would make it even easier.

op says they are undead
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 11:16

Where? All I see is "anorexic demon".

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 14:40

In the flavor, he says this: I considered Wendigo as undead Native Americans for their skill base.

However, in the skills he gives them +2 transmutation aptitudes.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 15:27

Ohhh, I see it now.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 16:41

I always like large races, and Wendigo are pretty cool folklore monsters, but is "giant caster" a niche that really needs to be filled?

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 17:07

I think giant caster is a niche that should be filled. I also don't like this proposal.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 17:26

Large undead caster would be a really cool concept (and wendigo fits), but this proposal just isn't very good. 3 UC and 3 fighting aptitude is absolutely ridiculous; trolls are extremely strong with negative attributes everywhere and 0 UC. Basically, this species would just be trolls but better.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 18:39

Well, Trolls aren't strong because of +0 UC, don't Ogres have +0 UC and +3 Fighting? But yeah.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 18:40

Sar wrote:Well, Trolls aren't strong because of +0 UC, don't Ogres have +0 UC and +3 Fighting? But yeah.

Ogres have +3 m&f and +3 fighting, but they're still not stronger than trolls somehow. UC is very strong.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 20:18

this might have something with claws 3 I dunno

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 20:22

Sar wrote:this might have something with claws 3 I dunno

Oh sorry for cheating, i meant thanks

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 20:56

The problem with large races is that high HP is a big boon and being able to throw large rocks and wield GSC is a big boon, so you have to balance that somehow. You can't make "Deep Elves, but with +2 HP", that just won't work.

Ogres are just about perfect, it's just too bad the melee aptitudes are so unbalanced.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 21:00

johlstei's big caster:
0 in all magic schools
-1 in all other aptitudes
large
hp+2

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 21:12

MainiacJoe wrote:Ogres are just about perfect

Gee thanks ogres' mom but actually ogres blow and i hate them

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th March 2016, 18:25

MainiacJoe wrote:The problem with large races is that high HP is a big boon and being able to throw large rocks and wield GSC is a big boon, so you have to balance that somehow. You can't make "Deep Elves, but with +2 HP", that just won't work.

I agree.

Being able to throw large rocks, one of the most effective weapons in the game, is big. I looked for a spell casting giant in mythology to provide a whisper of legitimacy to my wish. :) This is my first attempt at proposing a race. that is why I have not followed proper protocol. ;)

So, Wendigo are the most recognized mythological giant magic users. Legends say that, if someone becomes a cannibal, a demon could or would possess them, making them a Wendigo.

I knew there had to be a balance for my large rock throwing spell caster to have a chance. Large rocks are a big plus, so there has to be minuses to balance out. Large characters can not wear medium sized armor, that is a given. What backgrounds do not WANT to wear armor? What backgrounds harmonize with the mythological modus operandi of this legendary entity?

In mythology, Wendigo could shapechange into animals, so I made DCSS Wendigo good at transmutation. Wendigo are often described as "skin and bones" or rotting clothing and rotting body. Sounds to me like the demon that possesses them turned them into undead for the purposes of DCSS.

Rather than stating "this will not work", suggest what changes would make it work or be better.

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th March 2016, 19:02

I was considering suggesting Wendigo diet be limitied to meat only but thought that might be more coding than was worth it. And, making them as hungry as trolls... but, esspecially as spell casters, could they survive starvation?

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 18:59

What would be balanced considering their boulder throwing, horns, teeth, claws and undead? Switch STR and INT base?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 20:30

No idea, I'm just saying they don't look particularly casty to me.

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 22:06

Wendigo have a base strength of 7, intelligence of 11 and Dexterity of 7 (before background modifiers) and normal base magic points.

Starting skills
Incompatible body armour is replaced with an animal skin or robe.
Helmets are replaced with hats.
Meat rations replace bread rations.
Any Armour skill is replaced by Dodging.
Wendigo hunters are given a choice of large rocks instead of javelins.
Being undead, Wendigo may not worship The Shining One, Zin, Elyvilon, or Fedhas Madash.
Vulnerable to Dispel Undead and holy wrath-branded weapons (which they cannot wield);

Skill Aptitudes
Combat
Fight 2, short blades -1, long blades -4, axes -1, mace -1, polearms -1, staves -2, unarmed combat 3 (melee subtotal -5)
Throwing 1, sling -2, bow -2, xbow -4 (ranged subtotal -7)
armor -3, dodge -1, stealth 1, shield -2 (other subtotal -5)
Magic
fire -1, ice -1, air -1, earth -1, poison 0
spellcasting 1, conjurations -2, hexes 1, charms -1, summoning 0, necromancy 3, translocations -1, transmutations 3 (magic subtotal 0)
Invocations 0, evocations 0, experience 0[/quote] (other subtotal 0)

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 22:07

Can berserk or can not berserk?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner