Permission to use tiles in roguelike project?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2011, 18:51

Permission to use tiles in roguelike project?

Hello!

I am developing a new game which is I hope, going to be finished one day. I am about a month in and am using Crawl SS tiles for my placeholders. Unfortunately I am not pixel artist, and these tiles are some of the best out there and as this is an open-source project I was wondering if I needed permission from the various artists involved with the crawl tiles, if not whom do I credit, as there seem to be a few contributors!

No worries if I can't as I can find some other tiles that are freely available...

I thought I best ask at this stage as I'm getting deeper in to the project and will probably start a blog with screenshots soon!

If you are interested it is a party-based, roguelike with realtime exploration, turn based tactical combat and an emphasis on smooth controls and intuitive interface. So maybe not really a roguelike! (Of course it will be free)

Cheers!

Apologies if this is in the wrong board. If so please move it.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2011, 22:26

Re: Permission to use tiles in roguelike project?

Almost all of them are public domain. If you want to be 100% sure, someone created a google-code project to host all the ones that have been explicitly copyleft by their authors. There isn't all the latest tiles, as the project dates back from october. He said he'll update it every 6 months, seems like he's already a little late ;)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
Bim, dstone16321

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2011, 11:28

Re: Permission to use tiles in roguelike project?

Awesome thanks.

Return to Technical Support