Procedurally Generated Adventure

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 23:27

Procedurally Generated Adventure

The content of this message has been deleted at the behest of the solicitors of the Estate of Henry Almswell, pending outcome of a formal judgement.
Last edited by Can-ned Food on Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 03:29, edited 2 times in total.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 8th January 2016, 01:03

Re: Procedurally Generated Adventure

1. "Mutotropes" seems like a neologism for "entities" or "object".
2. "A[n entity], properly exploited, is made by the recombination of elements to form a unit" What elements?
3. "terminal Quest" "Endurance Races" what's with the capitalisation of random nouns?

What I understand you're suggesting is that DCSS replace some currently static content with procedurally generated content. For example, you might have a "potion of +5 AC" or generate a monster that flies slowly, has hydra head behaviour and acidic attack. You don't seem fussed where the additional randomness is added, just that it's added somewhere.

I think it's important to justify why increasing randomness in these areas will make the game more fun. One reason they wouldn't is that these fixed points provide structure to the game which ease cognitive load and mean the player can rely on past experience. If every monster is randomised, the player has to x-v inspect each one as soon as it enters LoS. Players already do this with every artifact (of a base type that could potentially be useful), but artifacts are rare enough this isn't a major issue. What if every consumable was randomised though?

Randomness is fun, but a game can't be purely random. At a base level a game's rules are known. Beyond that everything is a negotiation, and I feel you haven't made a case why increased random elements in general would improve dcss.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 3
all before, dynast, Rast

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 3rd February 2016, 22:57

The content of this message has been deleted at the behest of the solicitors of the Estate of Henry Almswell, pending outcome of a formal judgement.
Last edited by Can-ned Food on Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 03:29, edited 2 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd February 2016, 23:29

Can-ned Food wrote:Oh, and the capitalization of nouns is a form of emphasis, mostly seen in older English and German texts.

I thought nouns were always capitalized in German.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 22nd February 2016, 22:39

Last edited by Can-ned Food on Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 22nd February 2016, 22:45

well, randart consumables do sound interesting. we already have random monsters, Pan Lords.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 23rd February 2016, 11:40

SO OP, correct me if Im wrong, but this seems to be your plan to make Dungeon crawl SS into Fantasy world crawl, with randomly generated towns, dungeons, npcs, quests and world map? With all the races, spells and gods of vanilla DCSS included.

When will you have demo available for play?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner