YASV MiGl- my first victory

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 02:55

YASV MiGl- my first victory

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Nihil ... 022332.txt

Some questions:

1. Do I need to learn some spells as a Minotaur ( and not a wizard, conjurer, etc)? It might not be necessary for a 3-rune run, but how about all-runes?
2. What's the difference between fighters and gladiators? I chose gladiators because I don't want shield skill. What's on your mind when you choose to be a fighter or a gladiator?
3. I find it difficult to manage my inventory. Many things seemed useful, but I never used it. When your inventory is full, how do you know what items are useful, and what items are not?

By the way, running to surface with the orb is easier than I thought. I thought that there would be lots of monsters in my way. But the hardest part is leaving Zot:5, not climbing up. I guess it's more difficult to sneak/Chei characters?
Last edited by linlin110 on Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 03:09

Re: YASV MiGl- my first victory

You don't NEED to learn spells, but they can help. Having Crystal Plate makes it even more difficult. But repel missiles, spectral weapon can be great, phase shift and haste if you're gonna commit to it. It's still a pain in the butt, and by no means required.

I pick gladiators because they can start with quarterstaffs. Nets are awesome against early uniques as well.

Kinda hard to say, you're a bit overloaded on wands, but if you were using them with any regularity as your ranged attack, they're worth holding onto. I usually drop just about every wand except for haste/tele/heal once I start getting good rods/evocables.

The orb run is varied. Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes things go real bad, real fast. It's entirely possible to have all the Pan Lord bosses try to prevent your escape (assuming you haven't killed them), for example.

Congrats on the first win!

For this message the author cerealjynx has received thanks:
linlin110

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 03:20

Congratulations on your first win.

1. You can win the game without casting spells, even with 15 runes. Even a Minotaur can benefit from learning spells in a 15 rune game and in a 3 rune game depending on armour (In CPA i wouldn't bother with spells).
2. Fighter start with one more Str and gladiators start with one more Dex (mostly irrelevant, but gladiators get a slightly better stat distribution for most characters). Gladiators start with nets with negligible throwing and leather armour, where as fighters start with scale mail, a shield with negligible skill, and a potion of might. Gladiators start with 3 weapon skill and 2 fighting and fighters start with 3 fighting and 2 weapon skill. Gladiators have the advantage of being able to choose a staff as a starting weapon. When a choose between fighter and gladiator I think (a) "Do I want to start with a quarter staff." and if no "What will get me to D:3 more easily." Gladiator and fighter are pretty much the same once you hit D:3
3. Some of the best players have difficulty with inventory management.

By the way, the necklace of bloodlust ( or anything with *RAGE) is generally considered too dangerous to use unless you have some way around the *RAGE. I'm glad it didn't get you killed. The orb run is usually easier that Z:5 even for Chei characters, but it can have some pretty nasty difficulty spikes once in a while.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
linlin110

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 03:29

WingedEspeon wrote:Congratulations on your first win.
By the way, the necklace of bloodlust ( or anything with *RAGE) is generally considered too dangerous to use unless you have some way around the *RAGE. I'm glad it didn't get you killed. The orb run is usually easier that Z:5 even for Chei characters, but it can have some pretty nasty difficulty spikes once in a while.

Thank you.

I have clarity mutation, so I can benefit from +slay ,+str and +MR without getting berserk. By the way I also have berserk mutation. It's prevented by clarity, too. It's a little strange that they are not mutually exclusive.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 03:49

Sorry, I didn't look at the dump closely enough. The necklace is great with clarity. I think berserk and clarity might be mutually exclusive in trunk, but I'm not sure.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too