How could I have avoided this death?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 00:47

How could I have avoided this death?

http://pastebin.com/LK2GikFR

I was paralyzed and subsequently killed, despite high MR. Just curious if you guys have any pointers. Thanks!

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 00:51

Re: How could I have avoided this death?

Well, you were in Pan when you could have already won the game.

For this message the author triorph has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Kramin42, Rast, tedric

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 00:53

Giant eyeball paralysis completely ignores MR. They're weak and very slow though, the ways to deal with them are plentiful.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Blobbo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 01:02

You generally want some ranged attack to deal with giant eyeballs, and preferably penetration/smite targeted, in case of a large pack, like Mnoleg's is.

It's also helpful to know that when sar said they're very slow, this is an understatement. They have a speed of 3; they're the slowest monster in the game that I know of (I'm sure there's some edge case out there I'm forgetting). You can outrun one (assuming both characters only walked) with a naga of chei. If you don't have a way to reliably kill one at a distance, retreat - it won't be chasing you terribly well.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 01:04

You could have worn stasis if you were carrying it. Like any paralyzers, giant eyeballs are extremely dangerous when there are any hard hitters around, especially if you are not at full HP. An alternative would be to kill the eyeball immediately, prioritizing it over mnoleg, or teleport away and when you return just try to kill mnoleg before he summons giant eyeballs. Or if that plan doesn't seem to be working (because you aren't dealing damage fast enough) you could ninja the rune instead of killing him.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 02:51

Cool, thanks guys- I guess I just need to pay more attention to the abilities of the monsters around me. I had fog, too, I could have probably fogged him away.

BTW, I'd just like to say...

triorph wrote:Well, you were in Pan when you could have already won the game.

...that I hate hate hate this type of snarky "humor" that permeates this community. It's obvious that I could have won the game at this point. This is clearly not what I'm asking, and it is not helpful. In fact, when I was really new to this game, knowing that half of the responses to any question I asked would be in this form meant I was relucant to engage with anybody at all.

Seriously, this is not clever. It's annoying. Just don't bother posting if it's going to be some condescending non-answer.

For this message the author lobf has received thanks: 13
Aule, bananaken, byrel, floatboth, graffen69, Hurkyl, Maels, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Sphara and 3 more users

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 03:45

Invisibility.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
Berder

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 05:33

lobf wrote:BTW, I'd just like to say...

triorph wrote:Well, you were in Pan when you could have already won the game.

...that I hate hate hate this type of snarky "humor" that permeates this community. It's obvious that I could have won the game at this point. This is clearly not what I'm asking, and it is not helpful. In fact, when I was really new to this game, knowing that half of the responses to any question I asked would be in this form meant I was relucant to engage with anybody at all.

Seriously, this is not clever. It's annoying. Just don't bother posting if it's going to be some condescending non-answer.
Except it's not humor or a condescending non-answer. triorph told you a way you could have avoided this death, which is what your thread title asked for. How are we supposed to know what answers you think are "obvious" yet decided to ignore in favour of dying? You were paralysed by giant eyeballs 7 times in that game, so "obviously" you already knew it ignored MR, yet you didn't get mad at Sar for telling you that.

If you wanted to melee mnoleg, especially with a weapon that does so little damage and isn't antimagic (your weapon is equivalent to an unbranded morningstar against him), you should have used might and lured him to a place where he can't summon into your los (you had 10 disintegration and 17 digging charges in your inventory). If he summons something close to you, that means you already screwed up and should probably reset. If you do want to continue fighting him through that in spite of all this, you should kill giant eyeballs and not let eldritch tentacles get in melee range. Bolt of fire or fireball would have worked fine for killing the eyeballs, and you can try using the movement keys to get out of tentacle range. However, a better strategy than anything mentioned above is to just pick up the rune and leave, because mnoleg is not gloorx vloq and you move faster than him when hasted.

Wearing stasis against mnoleg is silly. Cutting off your escape and 33% of your damage just for a monster that you shouldn't let him summon in the first place? That's an awful trade.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
ldf, Sar, Yermak

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 05:43

Mnoleg's rune vault is an open area and it's dangerous to fight him there. You'll easily get surrounded because he's got 3 different Summoning spells. Luring him out from his vault has always worked better for me.

And about giant eyeballs.. You do not spend a one turn on Mnoleg's level while you have a giant eyeball in sight. You should have immediately casted Bolt of Fire at it's direction or tried to fog since you had no blinking scrolls.

Also you could have learned Fire Storm there. Overkill against eyeballs, yes, but I would have firestormed it in this situation.
*edit: 12.6 spellcasting, wearing IDA and no wizardry that probably would have needed brilliance potion..

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 06:21

duvessa wrote:However, a better strategy than anything mentioned above is to just pick up the rune and leave

I mentioned that.

I think dynast hit upon the best strategy, which is just to go invisible, provided you have some source of invis (this character didn't).
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 06:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOoXwxqeVzg

Taken to extremes, one could say that you could've avoided that death by simply not playing crawl in the first place.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
dowan

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 06:38

Siegurt wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOoXwxqeVzg

Taken to extremes, one could say that you could've avoided that death by simply not playing crawl in the first place.

Haha. That was a bad movie. Even back when it was released, that supercomputer's design was already 100% campy.
*sorry 'bout derailing but I had to get this out.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 08:52

Although you couldn't have done this then (you would have had to have had it on you ahead of time); Aura of Abjuration is a good call for extended for this and a lot of other cases (abjure all the summons). You weren't wearing armour SO heavy you couldn't have had that online... (It helps everywhere in extended; versus hell/pan lords and Shadow Demons especially). If the spell was active when Mnoleg came into your LoS...the eyeball would have been abjured before it could act...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 13:08

Yeah, and like the other advice that he could have not gone to Pan, it's technically true, but quite obviously not a useful answer(I assume this was your point). I never click youtube links, but I have to assume from context it was a hilarious comment on the futility of... something. But, knowing Siegurt I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was quite funny and relevant to the overall point.

But, take this as a useful lesson in the dangers of giant eyeballs. If there is a giant eyeball in LOS, you gotta deal with it quick. If you can't deal with it in a turn or two, just pop a tele. A stasis amulet would have worked too, although as Duvessa obliquely hinted, that would hurt your offense since you can't haste under stasis. But not hasted is still better than dead.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 15:41

dowan wrote:

Yeah, and like the other advice that he could have not gone to Pan, it's technically true, but quite obviously not a useful answer(I assume this was your point). I never click youtube links, but I have to assume from context it was a hilarious comment on the futility of... something. But, knowing Siegurt I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was quite funny and relevant to the overall point.

But, take this as a useful lesson in the dangers of giant eyeballs. If there is a giant eyeball in LOS, you gotta deal with it quick. If you can't deal with it in a turn or two, just pop a tele. A stasis amulet would have worked too, although as Duvessa obliquely hinted, that would hurt your offense since you can't haste under stasis. But not hasted is still better than dead.

Yes, that was my point.

If you prefer not to click on the link but are still curious what it is:
it is a scene from the movie war games where the computer says "a strange game, the only winning move is not to play"
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
dowan

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 19:31

There's no footv for me to watch (since it is offline) so I can't say for sure, but you probably didn't have a good position when you were fighting Mnoleg. Once he notices you, you should wait around a corner after using haste, might, agility, and then probably use Fog, so that if he places summoned eyes that can actually see you, it is likely that they will be cleaved before doing much of anything. Another thing to do is to place your own summons so that you have more movement options if giant eyeball(s) are placed. In addition, you could've easily cast fire storm with Brilliance and a ring/staff of Wizardry but you didn't learn it for unknown reasons. FS + Brilliance + RoF would kill him in about 5 shots. Your melee damage output is also considerably reduced by using a shield, but if you're taking no dexterity at all then that is probably your best bet to have some kind of evasion. It's more puzzling to me why you didn't learn Fire Storm.
remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 19:41

How is it you didn't have any elemental evocables, sack of spiders, ornate deck of summoning, etc?

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 19:47

Some issues if you are interested:
1) Invocations 10 and no use of any invocations
2) Too low spellcasting (12 levels less than fire magic!)
3) Too high Dodging (Dex 11 and IDA)
4) Too high charms (ring of flames will be castable naturally when you have charms enough for haste and fire magic enough for fire storm)
5) Too high Evocations (you used a rod once and no other evocables except wands).
  Code:
57481 | Snake:3  | Reached skill level 10 in Evocations

Later it allowed to evoke fog but as a caster with broad axe, orb of destruction and bolt of fire you are rarely interested in fog). Also I would not wear the cloak with broad axe and no slaying.
6)
  Code:
z - an uncursed ring of poison resistance {unknown}

7) No better rings? That ring of protection from fire barely did anything for you
8) Shield was slowing down your attacks and reducing success for spells
Especially this one:
  Code:
f - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          17%         2    None
 78736 | Vaults:3 | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink

0 translocations.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Sar

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 21:25

duvessa wrote:Except it's not humor or a condescending non-answer. triorph told you a way you could have avoided this death, which is what your thread title asked for. How are we supposed to know what answers you think are "obvious" yet decided to ignore in favour of dying? You were paralysed by giant eyeballs 7 times in that game, so "obviously" you already knew it ignored MR, yet you didn't get mad at Sar for telling you that.

It is a condescending answer. It's like saying "how do I avoid injury when skiing?" "well, don't ski." It's not helpful, it's snarky and annoying. It's obvious I could have simply not played crawl if I didn't want to die, or I could have never left D:1. But be a human being and infer what I'm asking.

And I didn't know those things ignored MR, which is part of the reason I was confused.

If you wanted to melee mnoleg, especially with a weapon that does so little damage and isn't antimagic (your weapon is equivalent to an unbranded morningstar against him), you should have used might and lured him to a place where he can't summon into your los (you had 10 disintegration and 17 digging charges in your inventory). If he summons something close to you, that means you already screwed up and should probably reset. If you do want to continue fighting him through that in spite of all this, you should kill giant eyeballs and not let eldritch tentacles get in melee range. Bolt of fire or fireball would have worked fine for killing the eyeballs, and you can try using the movement keys to get out of tentacle range. However, a better strategy than anything mentioned above is to just pick up the rune and leave, because mnoleg is not gloorx vloq and you move faster than him when hasted.

Wearing stasis against mnoleg is silly. Cutting off your escape and 33% of your damage just for a monster that you shouldn't let him summon in the first place? That's an awful trade.

...there's the advice I was looking for. Just leave the non-answers out in the future.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 21:27

Rast wrote:How is it you didn't have any elemental evocables, sack of spiders, ornate deck of summoning, etc?

IIRC, these things didn't exist in .8, which was the version I believe I started on a few years back. They've just never become part of my repertoire. I always tell myself I'm going to start using them and then forget.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 21:28

Sandman25 wrote:Some issues if you are interested:
1) Invocations 10 and no use of any invocations
2) Too low spellcasting (12 levels less than fire magic!)
3) Too high Dodging (Dex 11 and IDA)
4) Too high charms (ring of flames will be castable naturally when you have charms enough for haste and fire magic enough for fire storm)
5) Too high Evocations (you used a rod once and no other evocables except wands).
  Code:
57481 | Snake:3  | Reached skill level 10 in Evocations

Later it allowed to evoke fog but as a caster with broad axe, orb of destruction and bolt of fire you are rarely interested in fog). Also I would not wear the cloak with broad axe and no slaying.
6)
  Code:
z - an uncursed ring of poison resistance {unknown}

7) No better rings? That ring of protection from fire barely did anything for you
8) Shield was slowing down your attacks and reducing success for spells
Especially this one:
  Code:
f - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          17%         2    None
 78736 | Vaults:3 | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink

0 translocations.

This is all good advice, thanks Sandman.

As far as spellcasting, I hear people say all the time that if you don't need more spell levels, don't bother training it. How high would you have had it?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 21:37

lobf wrote:As far as spellcasting, I hear people say all the time that if you don't need more spell levels, don't bother training it. How high would you have had it?

I suspect those people are unaware that spellcasting increases MP and spell power and decreases spell hunger, don't listen to them.
I created a HOFE, entered wizmode and set it XL to 27. This is what I got:

Code:
 + Level 16.4 Spellcasting
 + Level 20.4 Conjurations
 + Level 22.0 Fire Magic

43 MP. I would have something like that indeed.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 22:53

lobf wrote:As far as spellcasting, I hear people say all the time that if you don't need more spell levels, don't bother training it. How high would you have had it?

Spellcasting counts as 1/4 of a skill level in all schools of magic.

As a particular example, if you are focused on a Conjurations/Fire spell and equal aptitudes for everything, and have Spellcasting 12, Fire 20, and Conjurations 20, then training Spellcasting up to 14 takes the same amount of experience as training one of the other skills up to 21... and it also has the exact same effect on spell power and spell success. (and also has the added benefits of reducing hunger costs and giving you 2 points of MP)

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 23:25

lobf wrote:
duvessa wrote:Except it's not humor or a condescending non-answer. triorph told you a way you could have avoided this death, which is what your thread title asked for. How are we supposed to know what answers you think are "obvious" yet decided to ignore in favour of dying? You were paralysed by giant eyeballs 7 times in that game, so "obviously" you already knew it ignored MR, yet you didn't get mad at Sar for telling you that.

It is a condescending answer. It's like saying "how do I avoid injury when skiing?" "well, don't ski." It's not helpful, it's snarky and annoying. It's obvious I could have simply not played crawl if I didn't want to die, or I could have never left D:1. But be a human being and infer what I'm asking.

Well if you were to ask about skiing then you've already committed to doing so. I was just trying to point out the issue (and I believe its a real one) that the extended game is entirely optional, and people don't view it as such.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 00:01

triorph wrote:Well if you were to ask about skiing then you've already committed to doing so. I was just trying to point out the issue (and I believe its a real one) that the extended game is entirely optional, and people don't view it as such.

I really doubt that there is a single player who does not know that extended is optional since you get a message like "It is enough to enter Zot" after getting 3rd rune.

Arrhythmia

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 00:46

Sandman25 wrote:
triorph wrote:Well if you were to ask about skiing then you've already committed to doing so. I was just trying to point out the issue (and I believe its a real one) that the extended game is entirely optional, and people don't view it as such.

I really doubt that there is a single player who does not know that extended is optional since you get a message like "It is enough to enter Zot" after getting 3rd rune.

Yes but there is a pervasive attitude that a 3 rune game is lesser than a 15 rune one. Anyway I'm sorry for injecting my unrelated opinions into this subject. It was not the right place for this derail.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 16:45

triorph wrote:Yes but there is a pervasive attitude that a 3 rune game is lesser than a 15 rune one.

That attitude seems to be most prevalent among players who haven't won much, or even at all. Good players are mostly interested in high win percentage at the 3-rune game.

For example, my first six games with 3+ runes:
3 rune win
9 rune splat in tomb
6 rune splat in pan
4 rune splat in zot
5 rune splat in pan
15 rune win

(Not saying I'm even good yet, but I'm a lot better than I used to be)

To address OP's question: this thread has made it clear that he had no business in extended. He should have won a few [more] 3-rune games, gotten good at crawl, and only then tried extended.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 16:48

Rast wrote:Good players...interested in high win percentage
no

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 16:57

Yeah, don't play extended until you get good at overcoming the unique threats of extended by not experiencing them. Much like I always tell people "Don't leave D1 until you have enough experience killing quokkas that you know how to deal with grinder"

Comments like that make it clear that some posters have no business in online conversations, and should win a few more debates against themselves in the mirror, gotten good at debating, and only then tried participating in a conversation with other people.

By the way, I just want to point out that you don't have to play crawl. From all the posts on this advice board I can only assume many people don't realize that playing crawl is optional, because people don't seem to view it as such.

Is losing after 6 runes worse than winning after 3? Either way your character is done. Unless my version of crawl is bugged or something, you don't get any money or anything for winning, and some might argue playing a game is more fun than having won a game. If good players are only interested in high win percentage of 3 rune games, and people with high win percentages of 3 rune games are good players, does a tree make any sound when falling on a woodchuck? If so, how much wood did he chuck? Be specific, and use examples from the text to support your answers.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
JFunk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 16:58

dowan wrote:Is losing after 6 runes worse than winning after 3? Either way your character is done. Unless my version of crawl is bugged or something, you don't get any money or anything for winning

FR: My bank account increases by $10 every time I win a game of crawl.

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
all before, Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:02

Rast wrote:That attitude seems to be most prevalent among players who haven't won much, or even at all. Good players are mostly interested in high win percentage at the 3-rune game.

For example, my first six games with 3+ runes:
3 rune win
9 rune splat in tomb
6 rune splat in pan
4 rune splat in zot
5 rune splat in pan
15 rune win

(Not saying I'm even good yet, but I'm a lot better than I used to be)

To address OP's question: this thread has made it clear that he had no business in extended. He should have won a few [more] 3-rune games, gotten good at crawl, and only then tried extended.

I consider myself a good player and I have quite the opposite feeling. 15 rune games are much harder than 3 rune games because you would need not only get extra 12 runes but also change the way you play normal game. I mean it is often optimal to do something in 3 rune game which at the same time makes 15 rune win harder and vice versa: when you prepare to extended you have higher chance to die in normal game.
I am not sure about other good players but I hate to lose characters so I pretend that I am not interested in 15 rune games when in reality it scares me. Examples of characters who would have problems in extended:
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Sandman25/m ... 143004.txt
Xom

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Sandman25/m ... 131339.txt
Low EV, lack of ranged attack

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Sandman25/m ... 032132.txt
Lack of ranged attack

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Sandman25/m ... 122021.txt
Fo of Trog

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 024307.txt
Trog

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 031809.txt
Lack of ranged attack, Yred

If I had to go into extended with all those characters, I would play quite differently in Vaults and beyond and it would be suboptimal for 3 rune game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:02

Rast wrote:To address OP's question: this thread has made it clear that he had no business in extended. He should have won a few [more] 3-rune games, gotten good at crawl, and only then tried extended.

WTF? Why does him not having perfect knowledge mean he shouldn't be in extended? I don't think anyone is 'good at crawl' on their first 15-runer. I'm not really good at it yet, and I have multiple 15-runers. You state that you aren't 'good' but have played a lot in extended, including at least one 15-rune win. Furthermore, you state that 'good' players mostly don't care about 15-rune. Assuming you're right, you're saying he should wait till he doesn't care about 15-runers anymore to do them?

And really, where do you get off making normative judgements about how to enjoy roguelikes? For most players, the joy of a roguelike is in the play, not the win (given that most players rarely win.) What 'business' do you have telling someone they have no 'business' continuing to play a roguelike past the point they could, theoretically, have won? If they want to extend the play at the expense of some chance of winning, that's their choice, and a fairly common one among crawl players. And it's a completely legitimate choice regardless of skill level.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:05

dowan wrote:Yeah, don't play extended until you get good at overcoming the unique threats of extended by not experiencing them. Much like I always tell people "Don't leave D1 until you have enough experience killing quokkas that you know how to deal with grinder"

I would thank the message if it stopped here.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:06

dowan wrote:Yeah, don't play extended until you get good at overcoming the unique threats of extended by not experiencing them.

OP wasn't even familiar with lots of basic things that he should have already been doing just in the three-rune game. For instance, 12 points in evocations and he's only carrying around two mediocre rods which he doesn't even use. Meanwhile, sack of spiders, an item which is awesome from D:1 through Zot:5, is still sitting on the dungeon floor somewhere.

Frankly, he only got as far as he did because he was playing a hill orc with an electric axe.

Is losing after 6 runes worse than winning after 3?

Yes.

byrel wrote:Furthermore, you state that 'good' players mostly don't care about 15-rune. Assuming you're right, you're saying he should wait till he doesn't care about 15-runers anymore to do them?

If he did, he'd be more successful at them, anyway.
Last edited by Rast on Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:06

You're crazy. The whole thing was comedic gold, with a few life lessons sprinkled in. If I made a movie of that post, it would win several academy awards (It would have won more, but politics, you know?).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:07

Also FWIW I entered extended in wiz mode initially to explore how it looks, it felt wiser than spending 10+ hours just to die to first fiend or panlord.

Rast

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:12

Rast wrote:Frankly, he only got as far as he did because he was playing a hill orc with an electric axe.

Which might maybe be why he's playing HO with axes...

Yes.

Not by any objective measure."Let each man take the path according to his capacity, understanding and temperament. His true guru will meet him along that path."

The path can be more important than the end.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:15

byrel wrote:
Rast wrote:

Yes.

Not by any objective measure.

Scoreboard disagrees.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Sandman25, Zooty

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:15

byrel wrote:Not by any objective measure."Let each man take the path according to his capacity, understanding and temperament. His true guru will meet him along that path."

The path can be more important than the end.

You realize you are discussing whether or not fun is subjective, don't you? :)

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Rast, tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:17

Siegurt wrote:FR: My bank account increases by $10 every time I win a game of crawl.

That can probably be arranged, depending on how much you are willing to pay to play a game of Crawl :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Rast, Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:19

There is one objective measure, which is score. It does support Rast's position. However I would contend that almost nobody (including OP) cares whatsoever about score, and in fact actually plays crawl for the pleasure of playing crawl.

Winning 3 rune games means you get to play crawl with a new character, which some people really enjoy.
Winning 15 rune games means you get to play more with a successful character, which some people enjoy. If you succeed, you even get a higher score.
Clearing 15 ziggurats means you get to play even more with a successful character, which some people enjoy. You actually end up with a lower score for doing this, regardless, people do it.

But if someone's holding a gun to your head and says you have to beat crawl, a 3 rune win is objectively better.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
byrel

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:19

Sandman25 wrote:You realize you are discussing whether or not fun is subjective, don't you? :)

No, I'm not, I'm simply asserting that it is. :P

I can't think of an argument for fun being objective; I don't think I've heard one before. I'm certainly open to any that are available...

Rast wrote:Scoreboard disagrees.

But why would you expect everyone (or even most crawlers) to be score-centric? Even most good players prefer to challenge themselves in non-score-related ways. I know that it's occaisionally a goal, but most games, most of the time, I don't think people care what the score is at the end.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:28

Rast wrote:To address OP's question: this thread has made it clear that he had no business in extended. He should have won a few [more] 3-rune games, gotten good at crawl, and only then tried extended.

This is extremely silly. It is not for you to dictate how someone enjoys the game.

OP asking for help on a specific monster which bypassed MR - this they didn't realize - and paralyzed him. The gimmick is unique to the monster, this has nothing to do with "getting good at crawl" in 3 rune games, because you encounter very few, if any, eyeballs in 3 rune games. The only one he encountered outside Pan was on D:13, and he may not have realized that it bypassed MR.

There are hundreds of monsters and gimmicks in crawl. A large part of learning them is to play and die - indeed this is part of the essence of roguelikes. Or you could read spoilers and read forum posts.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:35

byrel wrote: I know that it's occaisionally a goal, but most games, most of the time, I don't think people care what the score is at the end.

Then care whether your character is alive or dead at the end.

Objectively (because fun is objective now), a three-rune win is a success, though not the greatest possible success, and a six-rune splat is a failure, though pretty good as failures go.

It's reasonable to risk failure to obtain greater success -- but not if you still haven't mastered things like putting 15.0 points in shield skill with a medium shield.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:41

Alive or dead at the end? The character's gone at the end either way. Whether the note for that no longer existent character says "died" or "ascended" hardly defines how much fun you had (This is the true objective of any game, it's enjoyable to play)

If I enjoy playing a particular electrical axe wielding HO, then clearly the objectively right choice is to keep playing, regardless of whether that results in a "died" or "ascended" in a note I will probably never read after the game ends.

Even going by your own objective standard, score, if I want a high score then I should obviously try for a 15 rune win, since 100 3 rune wins won't get me a high score anyway, but 99 splats and 1 15 rune win could actually get me a high score.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
byrel, WingedEspeon

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 17:49

Rast wrote:Objectively (because fun is objective now)

Since when? I categorically disagree.

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
Rast

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 16:57

Rast wrote:

I've won 11 times, including four 15-rune games.

For this message the author lobf has received thanks:
Rast

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 17:15

bel wrote:

This is extremely silly. It is not for you to dictate how someone enjoys the game.

OP asking for help on a specific monster which bypassed MR - this they didn't realize - and paralyzed him. The gimmick is unique to the monster, this has nothing to do with "getting good at crawl" in 3 rune games, because you encounter very few, if any, eyeballs in 3 rune games. The only one he encountered outside Pan was on D:13, and he may not have realized that it bypassed MR.

There are hundreds of monsters and gimmicks in crawl. A large part of learning them is to play and die - indeed this is part of the essence of roguelikes. Or you could read spoilers and read forum posts.

This is correct- I play crawl casually. I can't keep up with all of the monsters and all their abilities and all the changes that are constantly being made.

I've been playing since .8, I have almost a dozen wins, I just never knew that this thing bypasses MR.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 17:22

Nope, sorry, you have to win 4 more 3 rune games in version 0.16 or later, and get at least a two game streak. Come back with logs of these wins, and maybe, just maybe, you'll be allowed to try extended again.
Last edited by dowan on Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
byrel, lobf

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 19:02

Technically, this isn't a change. Eyeballs have been ignoring MR since ye olden days. They're based off the same tradition as Nethack Floating Eyes, which also ignore all resistances except 'free action' (Roughly a buffed version of stasis.)

But I killed a lot of giant eyeballs before I realized that.
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice