Abyss 5/Orb of Zot Megaboss

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th April 2015, 20:45

Abyss 5/Orb of Zot Megaboss

Abyss 5 needs some love. I vote for a endgame quality unique/boss spawns in abyss 5, and a mega-endgame superboss spawns in abyss 5 while carrying orb of zot.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 11th April 2015, 20:50

Re: Abyss 5/Orb of Zot Megaboss

Serious question: Anyone ever go down there anymore; now that the rune spawns on Abyss:3? ...does Abyss:5 even exist?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th April 2015, 20:58

I've never seen abyss 5.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 11th April 2015, 21:19

Abyss:5 is just a whole bunch of abyss spawns, and yes - speedrunners do go down there.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 11th April 2015, 22:10

Bloax wrote:Abyss:5 is just a whole bunch of abyss spawns, and yes - speedrunners do go down there.
Why? I generally see the Rune long before another deeper portal. I was joking; I was there once; because I take every portal when I'm rune hunting; because (I think) runes are more common deeper; but I generally find the rune on 3 or 4; only made it to 5 once.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th April 2015, 22:38

I go to Abyss:5 when I'm too frustrated on Abyss:3, which is like every time.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 11th April 2015, 23:18

Maybe a vault containing the unique ( also guaranteed rune if not grabbed earlier ). Maybe something appropriately chaotic.
The vault itself stops monsters spawning/shifting abyss, but the unique is ridiculously chaotic in nature. Reward could be small room of treasure, mostly containing distortion/Lugonu/chaos-themed items.

Permanently invisible creature, completely cloaked in swirling vortex of seething chaos. Casts Blink Allies Encircling, summons sets of abyss-themed creatures and has aura that violently alters the map in his vicinity ( as per abyss ). etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 12th April 2015, 21:09

Oh no, it happened.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 19:17

Did you code that in yourself or was that just a monster that spawned down there??

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 19:25

edgefigaro wrote:Did you code that in yourself or was that just a monster that spawned down there??
Obviously coded himself (or mocked up; fake screenshot) Bolt of Distortion isn't even a spell.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 20:27

Yeah, implemented it.
Here's patch, you need to apply it to source and compile though:
http://puu.sh/hcrTF/cc876cbfaf.patch

Included four vaults that appear in Abyss:5 with some loot ( randarts, manuals, etc. ), but mind you, the mechanics of actually encountering him are not very good. He is easily missable. Maybe later I could try to make it so that his vault reappears if he isn't killed, but yet I don't have expertise to do so. So far there's just warning if his vault is generated, but no indication of direction if it is ungenerated by abyss.
He is rather unbalanced obviously, so don't go inside his vault with a beloved character.

I suggest wearing stasis or -TELE gear if you do.

For this message the author floatRand has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, thromnambular

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 20:51

I don't quite have time to play with this atm, but thoughts on the fight: Positioning should be important in the fight. You can do this via spells/abilities, or having adds. If he can cast singularity next to himself then follows up with a spell that swaps your and his position, it should force you to panic and not spend turns/time nuking him from range.

I'll play with it when I have time. I kinda want to not have the fight be gib-able with stasis, but I haven't put that much thought into it.

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks:
tasonir

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 17:26

edgefigaro wrote:I don't quite have time to play with this atm, but thoughts on the fight: Positioning should be important in the fight. You can do this via spells/abilities, or having adds. If he can cast singularity next to himself then follows up with a spell that swaps your and his position, it should force you to panic and not spend turns/time nuking him from range.

I'll play with it when I have time. I kinda want to not have the fight be gib-able with stasis, but I haven't put that much thought into it.

I don't think that stasis makes it much easier - it just lets you complete the fight. If his distortion bolt triggers teleport, you're going to be moved out of the vault and since he currently doesn't respawn, you'll never kill him. If you're melee not blinking out of melee range is also a perk, but mostly it just lets you end the fight rather than getting kicked out.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner