Dunk Of The Month - February 2015

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 1st March 2015, 05:51

Dunk Of The Month - February 2015

As the final moments of February pass by, we gather here to commemorate the most skillful and potent dunks performed this month by Crawl's denizens.

A dunk is more than an insult, it is a maneuver. Cool and collected, the dunkmeister transcends his role as spectator and merges with Tileschat to deliver an expertly timed response that renders the original commenter bare and vulnerable. Bystanders scan the text of the dunk, at first unable to comprehend its majesty, before re-reading what unfortunate statement OP muttered. It is at this point the essence of the dunk begins to grab hold of the witness, and their eyes - nay, their SPIRIT, coalesces in ecstasy upon that line of brilliant and cutting text that is a dunk.

Sadly my forecrawlers did little to document the surely wondrous dunks of their time and so we begin this tradition fresh and with the aim of preserving these gems month at a time. I know that the community will support this most noble and human endeavor and I look forward to the day where the DOTM will be chosen by a council of respected elders. But for the time being, I, a lowly jovial peon who Spectates in his free time, shall bestow the honor.

With so much conversation held between us all, there are sure to be many burns and funny jokes that have passed with light chuckles and even a most hearty laugh. Yet few qualify as a dunk and here is one that just may have made the cut if not for our actual winning dunk.

Runner Up-

A classic "That's what she said" in a new format. We'd expect no worse from a veteran such as gammafunk AKA "gammadunk" - and he aims to keep that nickname relevant. Good Dunk Bro! But there was much better this month, so you'll have to step it up!

Just a little comment before introducing February's Dunk Of The Month. Rarely is a dunk delivered that resounds so clearly and beautifully that the inner silence of awe is broken to ask yourself "Is there truth to this dunk?" For allowing us to marvel and revel in the mystery of this Greater Dunk, we award the DOTM to CSZO personality "archaeo" ~ ~ ! ! ! !

Just wow! And fearlessly vanquishing a known bread-swinger, mind you!
I guess it's time we can all finally delete this image from our harddrives.

Let's end on a Thankful note by including a Bonus Dunk from a friend of the community who JUST THIS PAST HOUR visited and graced us with a pretty sweet dunk in all regards. Stay safe and happy crawling everyone!

This Month's Celebrity Dunk

For this message the author Ayutzia has received thanks: 12
archaeo, Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, Cheibrodos, duvessa, Greyr, mps, n1000, PleasingFungus, rockygargoyle and 2 more users

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 1st March 2015, 17:07

Re: Dunk Of The Month - February 2015

i don`t get the tombstone... he dunked himself into a early grave?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st March 2015, 23:27

Also, a lot of people who are offering rebuttals are saying that we shouldn’t criticize the ones who make our game and that it takes hours to code need to realize that, we are not criticizing those developers. I’m pretty sure most people’s problem is with dpeg (even if they don’t realize it), who does next to no coding (even stated as such in the wiki) and is the main “idea” guy.

Problem is, he’s a sperg and has proven time and time again he is willing to let his creative vision get in the way of good design decisions. I have no problem telling him he sucks, especially after how he has treated the community in the thread. He doesn’t even contribute that much to the development process, he mostly implements vaults created by other people and probably spends the rest of his time dreaming up his magical turtle race that can’t wear armor, but can strap up to 10 shields on their back! Wow, what differentiated and unique gameplay! This is a personal attack, and a flame, I don’t care. How come katanas aren’t “Crawly” when kenku are anyway? They are both Japanese copncepts!

I agree that most of Crawl’s problems are GAMEPLAY related rather than programming related. In terms of nuts and bolts programming, Crawl is about as impeccable and professional as a non-commercial roguelike can be. The only thing that comes close is DoomRL IMO. However, Crawl’s gameplay has reached the point where its designed into an extremely steep difficulty at the cost of both accessibility to a less hardcore audience and designed to kill you likely early on to make you get REALLY frustrated. MDFi was the most accessible melee class and a great way to bypass this frustration. With the safety valve of MDFi gone, we’ve lost the best way to learn the Crawl universe.
The way the community was treated in both this thread and the other one antagonized me so much that merely putting MD back won’t be enough to make me happy. I’ll only make peace once dpeg is gone. dpeg is not being personally attacked, its the reverse. New players are making comments out of their love for the game. He ridicules them and replies with sarcasm like “I like to think of Snow white and garden dwarves” and “I was read Greek epics when I was in cradle”. How is this community-driven development? This is one guy who hasn’t done any programming posing as the main developer and galvanizing newcomers.

I understand there’s little motivation for making the game better if there’s bitter arguing about what direction to take. But it’s developers like dpeg that are provoking the discontent on purpose.

If this goes through, there’s two races that you can play as with armor, HO and MI. Otherwise you use spells for protecting your ass, or die horribly. HP, shields or evasion are not reliable protection in the end. 2 fighters, 200 variations of spellcasters. That’s your diversity.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, Ayutzia, cerebovssquire, gammafunk, rockygargoyle

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st March 2015, 23:40

duvessa wrote:In terms of nuts and bolts programming, Crawl is about as impeccable and professional as a non-commercial roguelike can be.

fucking lol
take it easy

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 00:44

Had me at 'sperg'
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 01:25

[quote="Ayutzia"][/quote]

post of the month

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
Ayutzia

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 01:56

Arrhythmia wrote:fucking lol

2011 was a dark time.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, gammafunk

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 03:29

Ayutzia wrote:Image

take it easy

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 06:38

10% of the proceeds went to children with autism
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 06:55

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks: 8
and into, Arrhythmia, Ayutzia, cerebovssquire, duvessa, Lasty, nicolae, rockygargoyle

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 15:53

gammafunk owned me pretty hard after that though
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 3
and into, Arrhythmia, gammafunk

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 17:43

n1000 wrote:Image

A dunk after my own heart. Did this happen today? Because if so then we'll have to set up a Dunk Council to decide these or my bias will blind me to anything else. The only reason why gammafunk was mentioned for runner up was because I wanted him to continue to experience not actually winning.

For this message the author Ayutzia has received thanks:
duvessa

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 19:21

Ayutzia wrote:The only reason why gammafunk was mentioned for runner up was because I wanted him to continue to experience not actually winning.

take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd March 2015, 21:24

twelwe wrote:i don`t get the tombstone... he dunked himself into a early grave?

We (the royal we) were all expecting Archaeo to never score, and had a tombstone (image) carved ahead of time in anticipation of this, but now that he has in fact scored, we can delete the image as it is no longer needed.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Ayutzia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 02:51

i think monthly dunking is for the best. any more frequency of awards would encourage hostilities

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 22:43

embarrassingly enough for me it took me until the second paragraph to realize those weren't minmay's words

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th March 2015, 20:46

Some classic dunks to give everyone something to aspire to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8sb3y8w48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN7b8K3byes

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 5th March 2015, 20:10

I want "CSZO personality" on my tombstone instead.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner