The Scummy Mummy

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 20:14

The Scummy Mummy

Want to win a mummy? Is your main problem making it to Lair? Here's some advice!

Be a necromancer.
Memorize reanimate skeleton and clear the first floor. Lately in trunk jackal packs seem to be the major player slayer on the first floor, so use caution around them.
Find a nice place to camp in view of a down staircase. Make sure your skeletal minions are surrounding you. Now just sit there and wait for small belligerent humanoids to come and get killed by you. Then reanimate them.
Keep growing your pleasant skeletal army. Remember to memorize vampiric draining when you hit level 3.

Eventually an "out-of-depth" monster will appear to remind you that the developers don't want you to scum like this. But that's okay, because this is what you were waiting for. Hopefully your skeletons will weaken the monster enough that you can finish it off with pain spells. (If it is not reduced to at least half health, just run away and head down). This will result in a level or two or three. Now go to D:2 and after clearing that floor, do the same thing. At this point you should be a few levels higher than most characters and your mummy will have an easier time reaching Lair.

You could keep scumming on later floors if you don't find it too dull, but the returns on exp eventually don't hold up. And once you have a god your deity peity will suffer if you continue to do so (Gozag and Ru are exceptions, however).

So there you go! Scum with a mummy to take advantage of one of its few benefits: no food clock!

Yes, this can be done with a VpNe too, but we are talking about winning with a mummy.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 20:15

Re: The Scummy Mummy

The first time I tried this I killed a two-headed ogre at character level 3 on D:1. On the next floor I killed two members of a redback pack and then fled when I saw a tarantella in their midst.
On another character I killed a big kobold on D:1, and a boggart pack on D:2. Turns out that boggarts are only as dangerous as they are when they spawn in deeper levels. Since their summons don't follow you upstairs and vamp draining can hit them while invisible, boggarts turned out to be a really great group of enemies to show up.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 21:07

The scummy mummy has deity piety.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 13:10

XuaXua wrote:The scummy mummy has deity piety.

And boredom that's more dumb.
Comborobin Admin

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 14:08

Or you can just play a MuNe and go Kiku and kill everything with infinite zombies and pain weapon.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 17:16

xentronium wrote:
XuaXua wrote:The scummy mummy has deity piety.

And boredom that's more dumb.

There is a brief rush of excitement when you realize that you just killed a two-headed ogre on D:1.
There is also a brief rush of anxiety when you have to flee a fire dragon on D:2 while its breath destroys your line of minions.

I never understood why xentronium was the most powerful armor in MoO 2 when adamantium, by definition, is the hardest material.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 19:18

Rumbleguts wrote:I never understood why xentronium was the most powerful armor in MoO 2 when adamantium, by definition, is the hardest material.

Hardest doesn't necessarily mean stable. A material can be hard, but it may shatter easily. And it may be impractical to use. They make fake diamonds all the time that are of the same material, so why don't we have diamond armour for the troops?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 22:15

The synthetic (they aren't fake - they are real) diamonds they are capable of making are very tiny and are generally best used for industrial purposes. For example, diamond dust coating on drills - the drill your dentist uses on your teeth is cutting you with diamonds. I believe they're also capable of making them large enough for ring purposes, but this is harder technically and from a marketing standpoint (why do people insist on calling them fake? they aren't). I'm pretty sure we aren't capable of making a 2x3 foot sheet to build a chestplate out of yet ;) Maybe one day. It's just an arrangement of atoms, it should be possible, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I have no idea how durable/shatter resistant it would be in the final product, either. Carbon nanotubes seem to be just about magical, and they're kind of like diamonds (all carbon), so I'd say let's just go with that one.

Why do I love so many (tons, really) of parentheses (This isn't even lisp)?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 22:19

I was reading tasonir's post and I almost reported him as a spambot advertising some kind of artificial diamonds or something like that.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 06:37

MuBe is solid choice even though you cant berserk. careful play and proper usage of brothers in arms will get you a win.

but its not going to be fun until midlair atleast
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 13:24

tasonir wrote:The synthetic (they aren't fake - they are real) diamonds they are capable of making are very tiny and are generally best used for industrial purposes. For example, diamond dust coating on drills - the drill your dentist uses on your teeth is cutting you with diamonds. I believe they're also capable of making them large enough for ring purposes, but this is harder technically and from a marketing standpoint (why do people insist on calling them fake? they aren't). I'm pretty sure we aren't capable of making a 2x3 foot sheet to build a chestplate out of yet ;) Maybe one day. It's just an arrangement of atoms, it should be possible, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I have no idea how durable/shatter resistant it would be in the final product, either. Carbon nanotubes seem to be just about magical, and they're kind of like diamonds (all carbon), so I'd say let's just go with that one.

Why do I love so many (tons, really) of parentheses (This isn't even lisp)?

Jewellers cut, shatter, and file diamonds into pretty shapes, so it's hardly indestructible. They use a much more readily available tool steel to cut the diamonds, and nobody has worn that as armor in centuries. Even steel has thousands of different alloys for a variety of purposes, and the hard ones are mostly too inflexible and brittle to be used for anything but tooling, which is simply used to cut more useful and machinable steel into more useful shapes.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 17:12

True story. I am related to the inventor of the artificial diamond.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 17:57

Rumbleguts wrote:True story. I am related to the inventor of the artificial diamond.

well met, false heir of zirconia
king of double damage

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 18:20

tasonir wrote:Why do I love so many (tons, really) of parentheses (This isn't even lisp)?

I am not sure about you but I use them to stay focused (and hopefully help others to) and make it clear where I am talking about something else (even when writing in my native language). Often words in parentheses can be ignored if you don't have desire to read long sentences :) Sometimes I even use nested parentheses. IMHO it's harder to understand a sentence with structure like "A and B where C or D except E and F or G" without parentheses if those A/B/C/D are very long phrases. Also it helps to differentiate "A (and B where C) or D except (E and F) or G" from "A and B where (C or D) except E and (F or G)" :)

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
GlassGo

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 17:31

DrKe wrote:
Rumbleguts wrote:True story. I am related to the inventor of the artificial diamond.

well met, false heir of zirconia

Yeah, this one time I got to go on a tour with all my dozens of relatives of a little building in Utah containing early machines used to make artificial diamonds. All the females were given a little diamond. All the males were given a short cylinder of tungsten steel with a black coating on one of the flat ends. We were told the black coating was basically a flat diamond layer. I though it was pretty cool.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice