Getting back into the main menu

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 20:54

Getting back into the main menu

Hi all!
I am new in the Tavern, I just joined totay!

I am also more or less new to the game, but I keep improving.

Okay, quick question: How can I get back into the main menu when I am in a game?

If I remember correctly, there is a main menu in the tiles version, but I seem to be unable to access it ever again. How do I access it again? No matter what I do, I am stuck in an endless loop of play, die, new character, play, die, new character, etc.
I can also only exit or save+exit. Both throw me out of the game and not back into the main menu.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 21:03

Re: Getting back into the main menu

The main menu is the same menu you see when you make a new character, or select a game to load. There is an option to not close the program when you save iirc, but you can simply restart the program.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 21:07

If you're talking about webtiles, there is no main menu like there is on your local machine, only the character selection screen. You can only have one game per version at a time, on a single server/account.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 21:14

Siegurt wrote:The main menu is the same menu you see when you make a new character, or select a game to load. There is an option to not close the program when you save iirc, but you can simply restart the program.

Unless you are including ctrl+qyes there is no command offline which will stop your current character and return you to the main menu.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 21:18

There's an rcfile setting to not close crawl when you save your game (offline), though I don't even know what this tiles main menu is so I don't know where it takes you.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 21:43

I was talking about Tiles on my local machine. Not Webtiles. I'll just wait for more replies to appear.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 21:47

The primary menu where you can choose to load a game type in your characters name or select a game type is the only "main menu" that exists and as far as I know it always appears when you open the program, maybe it looks different than what you expect?

The option crate mentions makes save go back to that startup menu rather than ending the program.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 23:35

In the meanwhile I have partly fixed the problem.

I actually never started the game in the main menu, the game always took me either straight into the loaded game or in the character selection. I had “abandoned” the game for a long time and forgot that I have actually modified stuff in .crawlrc. I have set name. For some reason setting the name *also* forces DCSS directly to the character creation screen :-(. Well, that's weird.

Now I use almost 100% defaults, the only thing I have changed are some keybindings. This fixes the problem.
But now I have the problem that the program quits when I save.

Anyways, I still have no idea of which option you both are talking about. None of the option names I have seen sounded promising to me.

For this message the author Wuzzy has received thanks:
Neon

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice