CIP - Uethib the DSIE

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 07:14

CIP - Uethib the DSIE

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.8.0-a0-5780-g8f58253 character file.

Uethib the Eclecticist (Demonspawn Ice Elementalist)                                   Turns: 57398, Time: 04:22:09

HP  89/89        AC 15     Str 15      Exp: 16/169783 (7302), need: 44716
MP  36/36        EV 16     Int 24      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 2251        SH 17     Dex 19      Spells: 13 memorised,  7 levels left

Res.Fire  : + + .   See Invis. : +    a - war axe of Curses {slay orc, rF++ MR Int+3
Res.Cold  : + + .   Warding    : . .  H - +0 leather armour "Rifugeru" {MR Acc-2}
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .    D - +0 buckler
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    (no helmet)
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : +    B - +1 dwarf cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    e - +2 pair of gloves of the Hall of Blades {+
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    W - +3 pair of boots of Servitude {Str+3 Dex+5
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    N - amulet of clarity
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    R - ring of wizardry
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    x - ring of protection from cold

@: incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: claws 2, conserve scrolls, demonic guardian 2, herbivore 1, mutation resistance 1, nightstalker 3, slow
metabolism 1, AC +3, EV -2, Str +1
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink

You are on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are near starving.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 23 of its levels.
You have visited 2 portal chambers: ice cave, bailey.

You have collected 2273 gold pieces.
You have spent 42 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - the war axe of Curses (weapon) {slay orc, rF++ MR Int+3 SInv}
   (You found it on level 13 of the Dungeon)   
   It is especially effective against all of orcish descent.
   It affects your intelligence (+3).
   It greatly protects you from fire.
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It enhances your eyesight.
 l - an uncursed knife {!a}
Missiles
 u - 6 silver +4 darts (quivered)
Armour
 e - the +2 pair of gloves of the Hall of Blades (worn) {+Blink rPois rC+}
   (You found it on level 13 of the Dungeon)   
   It protects you from cold.
   It protects you from poison.
   It lets you blink.
 B - a +1 dwarven cloak (worn)
 D - a +0 buckler (worn)
 H - the +0 leather armour "Rifugeru" (worn) {MR Acc-2}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)   
   It affects your accuracy (-2).
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
 W - the +3 pair of boots of Servitude (worn) {Str+3 Dex+5}
   (You found it on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts)   
   It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (+5).
Magical devices
 k - a wand of disintegration (4)
 z - a wand of fire {zapped: 5}
 S - a wand of paralysis (2)
Comestibles
 A - 10 sultanas
 I - a bread ration
 P - a meat ration
Scrolls
 h - a scroll labeled CHOSCH GILOANIE
 i - a scroll of fog {!r}
 s - a scroll of magic mapping
 C - a scroll of remove curse
 E - 2 scrolls of teleportation {!r}
 U - 2 scrolls of identify
 V - a scroll of blinking {!r}
Jewellery
 n - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 w - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 x - a ring of protection from cold (left hand)
 N - an amulet of clarity (around neck)
 R - a ring of wizardry (right hand)
Potions
 c - a potion of heal wounds
 g - 2 potions of healing
 t - a potion of speed
 G - a potion of resistance
Magical staves
 b - a staff of energy

You have 7302 experience left.

Skills:
 + Level 1 Fighting
 - Level 2 Short Blades
 - Level 1 Staves
 - Level 2 Throwing
 + Level 3 Armour
 + Level 8 Dodging
 + Level 6 Stealth
 + Level 6 Shields
 + Level 1 Traps & Doors
 + Level 15 Spellcasting
 - Level 9 Conjurations
 - Level 4 Charms
 - Level 12 Ice Magic
 - Level 2 Air Magic
 - Level 2 Poison Magic
 + Level 7 Evocations

You have 7 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Freeze                Ice            #####        Excellent   1    None
b - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       #######      Excellent   2    None
c - Throw Icicle          Ice/Conj       #######..    Excellent   4    None
d - Bolt of Cold          Ice/Conj       #######...   Excellent   6    Honeycomb
e - Mephitic Cloud        Pois/Air/Conj  ######....   Excellent   3    None
f - Freezing Cloud        Ice/Air/Conj   #######...   Excellent   6    Honeycomb
j - Apportation           Tloc           ####......   Excellent   1    None
x - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Excellent   2    None
z - Summon Ice Beast      Ice/Summ       #######...   Excellent   5    None
A - Ozocubu's Armour      Ice/Chrm       #######...   Excellent   3    None
B - Repel Missiles        Air/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   2    None
C - Levitation            Air/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   2    None
Z - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ####.....    Excellent   1    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (14/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (0/4) D:8
   Lair (8/8) D:10          Swamp (0/5) Lair:4       Shoals (0/5) Lair:5
  Slime (0/6) Lair:7     
  Hive: D:11-16      Vault: D:14-19     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:8: ([

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You have very sharp fingernails.
You are completely covered in slimy green scales (AC +3, EV -2, rPois).
You are very good at protecting items from fire.
A demonic guardian rushes to your aid.
You are completely attuned to the shadows.
You digest meat inefficiently.
You are somewhat resistant to further mutation.
You have a slow metabolism.
Your muscles are strong (Str +1).

First of all, I'm right at the point where my characters usually die, so I'm not expecting to live long, here. But I've got some questions anyway.

1) Should I be using that war axe of Curses? I love the properties, but I realize it's a slower weapon so that means it's lowering my spell accuracy, right? Should I just use my Staff of Energy instead? I've also got "the quarterstaff of Okawaru's Favour {slay orc, rF+}" and I haven't done Orcish Mines yet... but I assume the "slay orc" only applies to melee and won't affect my spells.

2) It looks like I'm going to lose those gloves when my ancestry gives me Claws 3... that's my only source of rPois right now. There's just nothing I can do about that, right? And I'll definitely get to Claws 3 (there's not a chance it will stop at Claws 2), right?

3) I've never had the Nightstalker mutation before. Is it going to be a problem for me later on (I'm primarily a caster and have been worried about losing LOS... it's already kind of annoying, negating Vehumet's range bonus).

4) I've got a lot of experience in my pool from a potion of experience. Not too sure what to victory dance, if anything. Any general advice on my skills and spell selection?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 07:25

Re: CIP - Uethib the DSIE

sxoz wrote:1) Should I be using that war axe of Curses? I love the properties, but I realize it's a slower weapon so that means it's lowering my spell accuracy, right? Should I just use my Staff of Energy instead? I've also got "the quarterstaff of Okawaru's Favour {slay orc, rF+}" and I haven't done Orcish Mines yet... but I assume the "slay orc" only applies to melee and won't affect my spells.

Wield the staff, but immediately switch to the axe when you need the properties.

sxoz wrote:2) It looks like I'm going to lose those gloves when my ancestry gives me Claws 3... that's my only source of rPois right now. There's just nothing I can do about that, right? And I'll definitely get to Claws 3 (there's not a chance it will stop at Claws 2), right?

Right.

sxoz wrote:4) I've got a lot of experience in my pool from a potion of experience. Not too sure what to victory dance, if anything. Any general advice on my skills and spell selection?

Definitely victory dance Fighting!

Good luck :) .

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
sxoz

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 12:55

sxoz wrote:4) I've got a lot of experience in my pool from a potion of experience. Not too sure what to victory dance, if anything. Any general advice on my skills and spell selection?

Your Evocations look too high. What do you need it for?
A few options for victory dancing assuming you're playing a pure spellcaster:
1) Spellcasting - that will boost your max MP and spell slots.
2) Conjurations/Ice - more firepower for your Bolt of Cold.
3) Charms/Air - in preparation for upgrade to Deflect Missles & Haste

For this message the author hxy has received thanks:
sxoz

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 17:48

pratamawirya wrote:Wield the staff, but immediately switch to the axe when you need the properties.

Okay, yeah that makes sense.

sxoz wrote:2) ...that's my only source of rPois right now...

It turns out that one of my DS mutations provides rPois and I didn't notice, so losing those gloves isn't such a big deal.

pratamawirya wrote:Definitely victory dance Fighting!

hxy wrote:A few options for victory dancing assuming you're playing a pure spellcaster:
1) Spellcasting - that will boost your max MP and spell slots.
2) Conjurations/Ice - more firepower for your Bolt of Cold.
3) Charms/Air - in preparation for upgrade to Deflect Missles & Haste

Thanks to both of you. I think I will try to get fighting up a bit, the extra hp would be nice. Other than that, I think I'm on the right track because hxy's suggestions were basically what I had been planning on.

hxy wrote:Your Evocations look too high. What do you need it for?

I found a crystal ball of energy and wanted to try it out. According to learndb, they need Evocations >8 to be reliable. That's pretty much the only reason, heh.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 18:11

sxoz wrote:1) Should I be using that war axe of Curses? I love the properties, but I realize it's a slower weapon so that means it's lowering my spell accuracy, right? Should I just use my Staff of Energy instead? I've also got "the quarterstaff of Okawaru's Favour {slay orc, rF+}" and I haven't done Orcish Mines yet... but I assume the "slay orc" only applies to melee and won't affect my spells.

That war axe is actually a pretty good caster weapon. SInv alone is huge, and the other resistances are major perks, too. The spellcasting hit for wielding a heavy weapon is incredibly trivial, such that you probably would never notice it in normal play, and the +3 intelligence more than outweighs it. Slay orc is largely worthless as a weapon brand regardless of the build you're using, and it's completely worthless for you. But you shouldn't be killing things that are actually threatening with that axe, at least not yet. It's plenty adequate for training fighting against rats and jackals, and that's all you will want to use it for.

sxoz wrote:2) It looks like I'm going to lose those gloves when my ancestry gives me Claws 3... that's my only source of rPois right now. There's just nothing I can do about that, right? And I'll definitely get to Claws 3 (there's not a chance it will stop at Claws 2), right?

You will definitely get Claws 3 at some point, but it might randomly happen at any level. If you're lucky, you won't see it until the mid 20s.

sxoz wrote:3) I've never had the Nightstalker mutation before. Is it going to be a problem for me later on (I'm primarily a caster and have been worried about losing LOS... it's already kind of annoying, negating Vehumet's range bonus).

It'll certainly be annoying, and you've already lost the magnificent range of Bolt of Cold. It isn't entirely crippling yet, but you'll definitely want to work your way over to a more close-range build. Start training fighting, and eventually you can shift over to reaver-style with a two-handed axe, and Ozocubu's Armor and Condensation Shield up all the time.

If you've got a slug or snail parked someplace, you can train fighting. Otherwise, ice, air, and charms are your best bet.

I can't recommend bothering with evocations. With Nightstalker, you're going to be forced into a melee hybrid anyway, so you're much less likely to run out of mp at that point. Also, that crystal ball is insanely dangerous even if you know exactly what you're doing.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
sxoz

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 20:22

Thanks for all your advice, KoboldLord. I love reading your posts, whether they are replies to me or someone else. They are packed with helpful information!

Unfortunately, Uethib the DSIE died in the Swamp, due to me being overly confident. Not worth posting the morgue, in fact. Stupid! (Though this ended up being my #2 high score). However, all of the above advice is still very valuable to me and I will consider it in future games!

I had been playing very cautiously with weapons with every caster up to this point, so it's actually great to know that the speed penalty is not a big deal. I'll definitely be less concerned about using one with greats stats like that war axe in the future.

For some reason my best three crawlers are all Demonspawn (and I usually play mage classes)... there's something I like about the random mutations, but it's obvious to me now that they can definitely be a hindrance to specific play styles, such as having Nightstalker in this case. That won't stop me from playing them, though!

Also, that's good to know about the crystal ball... I've seen them in the past and have always been curious about them, but I'll just ignore them until I've got a win or two under my belt.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 22:06

minmay wrote:
KoboldLord wrote:It'll certainly be annoying, and you've already lost the magnificent range of Bolt of Cold.

Actually, no. You've gained the magnificent ability to hit things out of your LOS.

Truly? I didn't try it, but does that mean you'd be able to target beyond LOS or would you have to just shoot in that direction and hope it hits?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 22:20

You target a tile inside LOS, and it keeps going beyond that point. If it hits something, it hits. The monster still wanders, though, so you basically have to trap it in a corridor if you want to be sure of hitting. It's definitely amusing, but I'm not so sure of how useful it turns out to be.

Might be really good in combination with Ashenzari's monster detection? I haven't tried Nightstalker with Ashenzari myself, on account of the random nature of the mutation.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too