Ignite Blood + Bleed Shadows interactions?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 30th July 2014, 00:22

Ignite Blood + Bleed Shadows interactions?

I recently tried a DsAr, and got nightstalker so I went into sneakystabby, worshipping Dithmenos.
I ended up getting ignite blood- as I didn't have claws, this wasn't particularly exciting to me. However, I was bleeding fire a lot more than I thought I ought to, and I stopped bleeding smoke.
I went into wizmode to test if there was an interaction- This time, I bled no fire, only smoke. Another run turned up the same result, as did a third.

In short, I have no idea how these abilities interact, nor how they are meant to. Was my first run the result of a fluke or a bug, or was it me misinterpreting the results?
Does bleed smoke override ignite blood? Is ignite blood supposed to override bleed smoke?
Come to think of it, why doesn't Dithmenos get pissed at me for setting the world on fire?

I am running 0.15-a0-2086-g1ed3c6d.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 30th July 2014, 00:25

Re: Ignite Blood + Bleed Shadows interactions?

Wizmode test this - What happens if you use shadow form and have ignite blood? (Shadow Form should make it so you always bleed smog guaranteed)

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 30th July 2014, 00:38

A bit more in depth testing indicates that you can in fact get flaming clouds from bleeding even with bleed smoke, but this does not remain true in shadow form. In shadow form, you bleed smoke on every hit as you ought.
I think the first question I should probably be asking is how the heck does bleeding even work?

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 30th July 2014, 00:52

doesnt ignite blood also ignite blood from enemies? i had the feeling that every ! !! !!! on hits causes more blood to spill.. shadow form also reduces ur own damage done (dont know what exactly u did in wizmode) so it could relate to you doing high damage in ur first game and all blood was from enemies? just an idea.. i dont know much about this game and nothing about the code :P

also isnt it counter-productive to choose dithmenos with nightstalker (at least lvl 3) since it reduces LOS and dith gives enemies -acc as well as teleport in ur LOS? or does easier sneaking outweigh that?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 30th July 2014, 00:56

Octopode-monk-of-XOM wrote:also isnt it counter-productive to choose dithmenos with nightstalker (at least lvl 3) since it reduces LOS and dith gives enemies -acc as well as teleport in ur LOS? or does easier sneaking outweigh that?

LOS reduction effects in Crawl (Robe of Night, Nightstalker, Darkness spell, Lantern of Shadows) are reciprocal, e.g. if you can't see an enemy due to reduced LoS it can't see you either (also means they can't make stealth checks, target you, etc etc), so Nightstalker makes everything better in the entire game.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
Octopode-monk-of-XOM

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 30th July 2014, 00:58

Yeah, it is quite possible I was just mangling more face than I thought that first game.

As for the Nightstalker + Dith- the smaller area of -acc doesn't matter since monsters won't shoot you from outside of your line of sight, and the sneaky bonuses are INSANE.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 30th July 2014, 00:59

yea still u have a smaller teleport range from dith skill, but agreed the advantages outweigh it

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice