CIP - OgWz - Advice wanted

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 14:08

CIP - OgWz - Advice wanted

Hi Guys,

Here's my current Ogre wizard:
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15-a0-136-g43baa79 (tiles) character file.

Cloughby the Ogre Mage (Ogre Wizard)               Turns: 23637, Time: 02:10:12

HP 126/139       AC 12     Str 15      XL: 13   Next: 70%
MP  29/33        EV 13     Int 21      God: Vehumet [*****.]
Gold 866         SH  0     Dex  8      Spells: 11 memorised,  5 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis .     R - +7,+4 whip (elec)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     C - +1 robe {rC+}
rNeg   . . .     Conserve .     (shield restricted)
rPois  .         rCorr    .     b - +1 hat
rElec  .         rRot     .     c - +2 cloak
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Warding  .     (boots unavailable)
Saprov + . .     Stasis   .     (no amulet)
MR     +....                    Y - +4 ring of protection
                                p - +0,+9 ring of slaying

@: repel missiles, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, horns 2, fast metabolism 1, saprovore 1, tough skin 1
a: Renounce Religion

You are on level 10 of the Dungeon.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is extremely pleased with you.
You are hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 18 of its levels.
You have also visited: Bailey.

You have collected 866 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +0,+0 morningstar
 m - a +0,+1 flail
 x - an uncursed blowgun
 D - the +2,+7 hammer of Impermanence {crush, Dex+2}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It affects your dexterity (+2).
 I - a +0,+0 giant spiked club
 R - a +7,+4 whip of electrocution (weapon)
Missiles
 f - 29 poisoned needles
 g - 16 stones (quivered)
 N - 2 darts
Armour
 b - a +1 hat (worn)
 c - a +2 cloak (worn)
 k - a +2 pearl dragon armour
 C - a +1 robe of cold resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 r - a wand of cold {zapped: 2}
 G - a wand of fire (7)
 L - a wand of cold {zapped: 5}
 O - a wand of draining {recharged}
 W - a wand of lightning {zapped: 1}
Comestibles
 d - 5 meat rations
 l - 14 bread rations
 v - 3 rotting chunks of centaur flesh
 F - a choko
 P - a honeycomb
 V - 2 apples
Scrolls
 h - 9 scrolls of remove curse
 i - 4 scrolls of teleportation
 o - 2 scrolls of blinking
 s - a scroll of fear
 t - 3 scrolls of fog
 y - 9 scrolls of identify
 M - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 Z - 2 scrolls of amnesia
Jewellery
 p - a +0,+9 ring of slaying (left hand)
 u - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 B - an uncursed amulet of stasis
 T - an uncursed amulet of rage
 U - an uncursed ring of regeneration
 Y - a +4 ring of protection (right hand)
Potions
 e - 3 potions of heal wounds
 j - 3 potions of restore abilities
 n - 2 potions of haste
 q - 2 potions of might
 w - a potion of resistance
 z - 7 potions of curing
 A - 6 potions of agility
 J - a potion of flight
Books
 H - a book of Conjurations   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Magic Dart                        Conjuration                  1
   Searing Ray                        Conjuration                  2
   *Dazzling Spray                    Conjuration/Hexes            3
   Fulminant Prism                    Conjuration/Hexes            4
   *Iskenderun's Mystic Blast         Conjuration                  4
   Iskenderun's Battlesphere          Conjuration/Charms           5
 X - a book of Enchantments   

Cause Fear                         Hexes                        4
   Silence                            Hexes/Air                    5
   Tukima's Dance                     Hexes                        5
   Deflect Missiles                   Charms/Air                   6
   Haste                              Charms                       6
   Discord                            Hexes                        8

Skills:
 + Level 11.9 Fighting
 - Level 11.3 Maces & Flails
 - Level 10.5 Dodging
 - Level 1.5 Stealth
 + Level 12.5 Spellcasting
 + Level 8.7 Conjurations
 - Level 0.6 Summonings
 - Level 0.6 Translocations

You have 5 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         1%          1    None
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          8%          2    None
c - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ##....       10%         2    None
d - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      ####....     1%          3    None
e - Call Imp              Summ           ###.....     8%          2    None
f - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  ####....     1%          3    None
g - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #####...     1%          4    None
h - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       ####....     1%          3    None
i - Stone Arrow           Conj/Erth      ####..       1%          3    None
j - Sticky Flame          Conj/Fire      ####....     2%          4    None
k - Venom Bolt            Conj/Pois      ####......   7%          5    ###....

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (10/15)            Temple (1/1) D:6            Lair (7/8) D:8
 Shoals (0/5) Lair:6       Spider (0/5) Lair:3        Slime (0/6) Lair:6
   Orc: D:9-12     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
The Shining One

Annotations:
D:1 Ijyb
Lair:5 Rupert

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are too large for most types of armour.
You have a fast metabolism.
You can tolerate rotten meat.
You have tough skin (AC +1).
You have a pair of horns on your head.

Normally I would train up a lot of M&F for the GSC, since I'm an ogre and everything, but the RNG has made it a tougher choice than usual, because of these items:
R - +7,+4 whip (elec)
D - the +2,+7 hammer of Impermanence {crush, Dex+2}
I - a +0,+0 giant spiked club
also, this mutation seems relevant

Now, I only show the hammer due to the slaying on it, but it was a tougher choice back when the whip was +2+0. I'm pretty sure the whip beats the hammer in every way now. With the horns and +9 slaying ring, a fast attack rate seems desirable. If I had a shield to wear, I would wear it, but no luck on that front so far.

I know the typical wisdom would be to get the GSC usable, but the RNG seems to want me to use the faster whip, and spend that XP on something else.

I haven't played an ogre wizard before, and with Veh's help, this character is much more effective with spells than I expected. Defenses are a big problem, I dumped quite a bit of XP into dodging, with very small returns, so I'm not sure whether I should keep pouring XP into it, or spend that XP elsewhere for better returns.

I've also got a +2 pearl dragon armor from an acquirement scroll, which hurts my spell success a fair amount, but not too horribly. I'm not sure when I should switch over to that. I'm thinking that once I can cast blink in that armour, I'll switch, but that'll probably slow down my development into the higher level conjurations.

This character has raised some interesting questions about training spellcasting vs specific schools. When I was trying to get mephitic cloud online, it made perfect sense to me to train spellcasting, since spellcasting is worth 1/4 of a spell school, and mephitic takes 3 schools, each one at -3 apt, the math seems to suggest that training spellcasting is more effective than training conjurations, poison, or air, with the added bonus of making all my other spell schools slightly better, and more MP and spell levels. However, obviously it doesn't make sense to just train spellcasting for making my conjurations more powerful, even with the -3 apt taken into account. but either way I would think it makes good sense to pump more spellcasting than usual on an ogre wizard, but maybe I'm missing something.

On the long term, I've got a book with haste in it, but I don't know when I should start training charms, whether to stick with the robes to get haste somewhat faster, or to just ignore haste for a while and get my defenses up. I really want a shield if I'm not going to go with the GSC, which seems like a good decision based on what I've got with the character so far.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 14:45

Re: CIP - OgWz - Advice wanted

damiac wrote:I haven't played an ogre wizard before, and with Veh's help, this character is much more effective with spells than I expected. Defenses are a big problem, I dumped quite a bit of XP into dodging, with very small returns, so I'm not sure whether I should keep pouring XP into it, or spend that XP elsewhere for better returns.

Probably because your Dex is bad, so all that Dodging skill isn't helping much.

I would wear that PDA straight away, and enchant whenever more EA pop up. Very lucky drop IMO.

Your aux attack isn't going to trigger much (need high Str + Dex) so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

For me, an Og is never going to be a big blaster type, so I'd be pretty happy if I could cast fairly low level stuff like Dazzling Spray on my Ogre. Main offense would probably come from melee, so I think you would want a GSC eventually, but nothing is stopping you from using that whip of elec until you've trained up M&F and enchanted up that GSC. +9 ring of slaying is good for GSC too.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 15:26

Well that's the thing, at 26 M&F the GSC will be better, but right now I can sit with 11 M&F and have min delay on the whip of elec, along with the ring of +9 slaying I've got end-game quality offense already, so while I could improve my already awesome offense, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile expenditure of XP when there are other areas where I could improve this character.

The PDA was an acquirement, but it was very lucky. I plan to dump any EA scrolls I find into that.

Now, as far as being a blaster goes, with Vehumet's help it's been far easier than I expected. I don't plan to go after lvl 9 spells or anything, but I don't see any reason not to get bolt of fire castable (I think that's what Veh is offering right now). It's pretty awesome being able to heavily damage enemies at range, then continue to heavily damage them up close with that whip.

My biggest dilemma at the moment is my defense. You're probably right in saying to switch to the PDA, and accept that I'll probably only be able to use my lvl 3 conjurations for the moment, which should still be adequate. However that'll hurt my already bad EV a fair amount, and that dodging skill will be completely wasted, rather than just mostly wasted...

I guess no matter what it doesn't make sense to raise dex on this character, I'm thinking I'll just keep pumping int, but I'm open to suggestions there.

Also, if anyone sees any other glaring issues with this guy please let me know. Like I said, I've never done an OgWz before, and they seem way more viable than I had assumed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 15:36

You have pearl dragon armour for your ogre? Put it on! PUT IT ON!

I probably wouldn't have gone Vehumet with an ogre, but her wizardry effect should probably mostly cover the casting penalty from the pearl dragon armour. You still won't be super-great at blasting, but the Club to the Face spell is really all an ogre needs for most of the game. Once you've covered your gaping defensive hole due to your armor restrictions, ogres really aren't worse than most normal-difficulty races.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 15:41

I'd actually convert to another god here - maybe Ashenzari, since I don't like having low spellpower and Veh doesn't help with that - only wizardry, and not for Haste and other useful spells. But presumably you took Vehumet since you wanted to blast, so just use the whip and train only conj/elements for a while?
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 15:51

Along those lines of gaping defensive holes, does my plan to stick with the elec whip and slaying ring, and taking a shield make sense? I know normally that's not a great plan, but with the +9 slaying ring, I feel like the XP savings and increased defense might be worth ignoring the GSC.

What skill should I train next? I'm having a hard time setting my next goal for this character, and for now I'm spreading my training between fighting, spellcasting, and conjurations... I'd love to have haste, but that's a long way away with a -3 charms apt, especially if I wear the PDA, so I don't think that's a reasonable short term goal.

I took veh for the conjurations wizardy, extended range to a degree, and also for the MP on kills. The spell gifts are kind of nice too, but not a major factor in my decision.
I wasn't too sure it was the best god choice, and I did consider Ash, but I figured my limited slots would mean I get a bit less out of ash, plus I get a bit annoyed with the fiddly curse behavior.

Yes, spellpower is an issue, and I understand Veh doesn't help with that, but I still feel like this character can do more at range than a hunter with a small supply of large rocks.

At this point, I've been spoiled by very nice drops, and on top of that I have the Veh wiz boost, so I find myself in a uniquely non-XP starved state. I want to take full advantage of this to get myself into a more solid position, as I'm well covered in the damage department.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 16:53

A whip of electrocution is a good weapon, and with +9 slaying it is a great weapon. A major advantage is that you can train only 12 M&F and have a strong weapon, saving lots of experience.

I'd probably just go with that, and yes find a shield because you are using a one-handed weapon anyway.

The whip of electrocution will be great against all non-resistant targets, and thanks to that ring still okay against most resistant targets. Certainly it will last you until you find a demon whip (eventually) that could maybe out-damage the whip of electrocution.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 17:51

Oh, by the way, once I do find a shield, what the magic number for an ogre to get past the relevant penalties (casting failure and attack delay penalty).

Secondly, any advice for where to pour all this extra XP? M&F is set for the forseeable future... Dodging seems like it's going to take a huge amount of investment before I get any returns, especially once I put on that PDA. Fighting's always useful, as is spellcasting and conjurations... which is why I've got all 3 training at the moment, but I can't help but feel I should be focusing on something...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 17:56

Shields 9 for normal size shield, Shields 15 for large shield.
I'd put experience into Fighting first (Armour if lucky to find some dragon armour), then some spells. I am not sure how difficult it will be to play without defense (your Dex is low and you cannot wear heavy armour because of spells).

Edit. Yes, I would have Fighting as my highest skill here.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 18:03

Well, since I'm with Vehumet, it's not too bad, as you can see in the dump, I do have a +2 pda in my inventory. If I wear that, I'm probably only able to cast up to lvl 3 spells, but that's OK. Since I'm going to get more STR anyway, the penalty will get smaller over time.

Should I stop increasing int, and switch to dex for the rest of my stat increases? I figured int would be a good choice since all my casting skills are -3, and str is obviously unnecessary, but I wasn't sure if I'd get decent returns for the dex. With my +9 slaying ring, the horns mutation is more relevant than usual, although I'm not sure that makes raising dex worthwhile.

Right now this guy plays like a glass cannon, so I'm very happy to have blink castable. But he does live up to the cannon part, which is what makes this somewhat workable. That PDA makes the glass stronger, but I won't have as much to put in the cannon...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 18:10

I would continue putting points into Int. Ogre is a large size species so it has a penalty to EV, but it has no penalty for spells. Yes, wear that PDA as soon as you feel your HP pool alone is not good enough (I assume you want to use spells as much as possible otherwise you would be playing OgBe ;-)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:53

Hmm, actually if I were playing this, I would indeed raise Dex only from this point (and probably would have started raising Dex a lot earlier). Possibly this is due to stylistic difference - in this scenario I would go only for spells like Battlesphere and Sticky Flame, where spellpower is less relevant, and not something like Bolt of Fire. To get Haste castable, I would rely on wizardry items - I once had an Int 11 Troll with 12 Charms skill who can cast Haste at 5% fail rate thanks to staff and ring.

But it looks like you want to play the character in a different way, so perhaps raising Int is better for what you have in mind.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 01:05

damiac wrote:Along those lines of gaping defensive holes, does my plan to stick with the elec whip and slaying ring, and taking a shield make sense? I know normally that's not a great plan, but with the +9 slaying ring, I feel like the XP savings and increased defense might be worth ignoring the GSC.

Sure, the whip will hold you for a while. Exceptional slaying buys you a good amount of time. You'll probably want the GSC eventually, though.

damiac wrote:I took veh for the conjurations wizardy, extended range to a degree, and also for the MP on kills. The spell gifts are kind of nice too, but not a major factor in my decision.
I wasn't too sure it was the best god choice, and I did consider Ash, but I figured my limited slots would mean I get a bit less out of ash, plus I get a bit annoyed with the fiddly curse behavior.

Ogres are a little pigeonholed with their excellent melee aptitudes and terrible magic aptitudes. Unless you take extreme measures, they're going to eventually end up as melee with support magic. The safest bet for an ogre wizard is to pick a strong early-game deity that supports a mace-wielder that has access to several utility and support spells. Fedhas or Yredelemnul, for instance, although there's quite a bit to choose from. Vehumet is more natural when you have the aptitudes to push conjurations and stay ahead of the monster difficulty curve on that alone.

But no sense in worrying about that now. It worked out for you.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 01:47

Just learn cloud spells. They're very good and you wouldn't want power for them anyway.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 13:04

Hmm, so you guys think even with the nice whip and slaying ring, I should forget about shields and just assume I'll be using the GSC eventually? Interesting, I suppose that'll depend on whether I find an exceptional shield at some point.

I put on the PDA, and trained up some armor, I can still cast IMB and mephitic and what not, so that feels like a good improvement to my defenses without destroying my spells.

I do have sticky flame, which is great for supporting my melee, as is cloud of flame to a lesser extent. I still haven't decided which element(s) to focus on, so all my spell training has been spellcasting and conjurations for the moment, although I'm focusing more on my defenses for now. The ability to just throw mana at enemies at range feels like a great improvement to my typical melee only ogres, since I can soften them up before they get to me, but really aren't losing anything in melee offense.

My god choice was certainly not optimal, but that's ok, it's led to a very fun character, and along with the exceptional item drops thus far, it's an extremely well established character. I was just about to finish off orc4, which has been very easy thanks to mephitic, dazzling spray, and ogre-ing them in the face while they wander around blind and confused. I am taking a bit of a risk though, since my MR is very low, if I see an ogre mage I might have to run away.

Without any poison resist I'm nervous about spider, but swamp might be ok.

My thinking was that if I'm trying to be a spellcaster, and hoping to use things like haste, phase shift, as well as conjurations, then int would give me the best returns. However, if pumping dex would buy me 4 - 5 more EV, that might be worthwhile too. Plus as a side benefit my horn attack would go off more, which isn't bad with +9 slaying.

Decisions, decisions. This is one of the most fun characters I've ever played, it feels like a full fledged blaster, who's also a full fledged melee fighter. I just have this terrible feeling that I'm going to suffer later on for over generalizing, a trap I've fallen into before.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 13:35

damiac wrote:The ability to just throw mana at enemies at range feels like a great improvement to my typical melee only ogres, since I can soften them up before they get to me, but really aren't losing anything in melee offense.

Just to be clear, you can get the same effect by chucking rocks or javelins at low skill on your typical melee ogre. Or wands at low evo skill, etc

damiac wrote:Without any poison resist I'm nervous about spider, but swamp might be ok.

You don't really need rPois for either, but of the 2 I'd say Swamp is more annoying without rPois because of swamp drakes and swamp dragons constantly breathing on you.

damiac wrote:My thinking was that if I'm trying to be a spellcaster, and hoping to use things like haste, phase shift, as well as conjurations, then int would give me the best returns. However, if pumping dex would buy me 4 - 5 more EV, that might be worthwhile too. Plus as a side benefit my horn attack would go off more, which isn't bad with +9 slaying.

Haste and Phase Shift are ok for this char. Basically you just want to get them castable even if at low spell power, so you don't really need to train Int for that (wizardry items!). Conjurations though would need a lot more investment (both in Int and skills) to be effective. If you really want low power Bolt of Fire on your char, why don't you just carry around some wands of fire. It amounts to pretty much the same thing.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 13:47

Well, mephitic cloud and dazzling ray are things I couldn't have on a wand, nor do throwing weapons replicate their effects. Same thing with sticky flame, conjure flame, and eventually cloud spells and things like that.

Throwing rocks and javelins is nice, but you can't really carry more than 5 rocks around without seriously burdening yourself, and javelins are typically hard to come by early on, and they're also pretty damn heavy. Also, since large rocks don't auto penetrate anymore, they're just 1 target at a time unless you find some penetration ammo.

Now, my spells are less powerful then they would be on most spellcasters, but still, my stone arrow is nothing to sneeze at, I can take out hydras without taking a hit in melee, so it's not as if my conjurations are worthless.

Admittedly, this character is not optimal for many reasons. But my ranged offense is much better than it would be if I were just throwing crap or using wands, both of which are also in limited supply. I'm also not too far from having battlesphere castable, which helps my ranged offense that much more.

Most importantly, this guy is really fun to play. I recommend trying it some time, it's not the typical caster experience, nor is it the typical ogre experience.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 14:07

damiac wrote:Well, mephitic cloud and dazzling ray are things I couldn't have on a wand, nor do throwing weapons replicate their effects. Same thing with sticky flame, conjure flame, and eventually cloud spells and things like that.

Sure, all those spells are good for your char, and probably battlesphere too. You'll note that those are the spells that people (including me!) have recommended you to pick up. What do they have in common? They don't need high spellpower to be effective.

damiac wrote:Now, my spells are less powerful then they would be on most spellcasters, but still, my stone arrow is nothing to sneeze at, I can take out hydras without taking a hit in melee, so it's not as if my conjurations are worthless.

Hey, if you find that fun, more power to you. I thought you were looking for advice though. And if you want my advice, it's that casting Large Rock (no MP cost, full LOS range, comparable damage) is better than casting Stone Arrow for this char, but to each his own.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 14:17

You can have both large rocks and stone arrow. Also I am not sure why we are talking about low spell power, Int 21 at XL 13 is good enough IMHO for a dedicated conjurer.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 14:31

Heh, well I'm not opposed to carrying a few large rocks around as well, and getting 3 throwing skill or so would be very easy, so it's not a bad idea or anything. Nothing's stopping me from having a few rocks to soften up big guys, which are more damaging than any of my conjurations against a single target, so if I see some large rocks I'll pick some up.

Speaking of spell power, is there any numerical significance to the pips shown on the spell screen? If I look up the spells, I see the formula for damage, but I'm not sure how to get the power number. I was trying to figure out of any of my spells are more damaging than a large rock, which I'm pretty sure they are not, but I'd love to know my actual damage numbers.

If I get a chance to pick up freezing cloud I guess I'll go for it, but I feel that I'm a long way away from actually being able to cast it. I'm probably shooting to have OOD castable eventually, which seems like an achievable goal, but of course I have to actually find the spell...

Now, with -3 spell skill apts, and +1 spellcasting apt, how high should I train spellcasting? I feel that I would want it significantly higher on this character than most conjurers, as it's worth 1/4 of a specific school, meaning it's worth 1/2 of a 2 spell school skill, and 3/4 of a 3 spell school, and at the same time giving a boost to every other school that I wouldn't be training anyway. While I certainly still want to train a lot of conjurations, I think I'll eventually want 24 or so spellcasting, to lower the amount of XP I need to spend in translocations, charms, and elemental skills. The MP boost is also nice, and less spellhunger never hurts, but neither of those is a very big concern for this character.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 14:52

I would recommend against OOD, or other direct damage conjuration. FCloud would be good, but I don't know how realistic it would be to get it castable.

For the spellpower pips, this is what learndb says: http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=spell+power

Note that while damage increases linearly with spellpower, the spellpower bars on the display aren't linear, instead they're at 0, 10, 15, 25, 35, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 15:13

Consider using http://ianberrigan.com/ if you are interested in numbers for skilling. For example, it takes the same XP for training +1 skill from 0 to 20 as it does for training -3 skill from 0 to 14.9. So I don't think spellcasting should be much higher than other skills because spell power effect of a school is 4 times larger than that of spellcasting (for single school spell).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 15:44

That's a good point sandman, I'm definitely overvaluing aptitudes here. That said, I believe it was a really good idea to focus on it very early on, when I was trying to get blink, summon imp, mephitic cloud, and repel missiles online. But maybe I could stop training it for quite a while now.

Drache, why would you recommend against OOD? I understand I'm not going to do the same damage as a typical DeCj with it, but even at my current spell power it would do 9d12, and that number will be higher when I actually could cast it. That's better than a large rock already. Even at point blank range, 1/2 of 9D12 is decent damage. I just think it would be a nice option to hurl at scary monsters at range. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't train conjurations high enough to cast it anyway, since I want good spell power.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 16:45

I guess I'm thinking of opportunity costs. You're planning to pump a lot of XP into Spellcasting and Conjuration for OOD, when instead you could be training Fighting and Armour and Dodging which would greatly improve your survivability while supporting your main offense (melee). For me anyway, melee and conjurations do the same thing (killdudes), so investing heavily on both doesn't make sense to me. Sure you want a certain amount of melee vs ranged diversity, but the point is still that one is your main offense and the other is secondary, and I really wouldn't want to spend a lot of XP on the secondary offense.

I don't doubt you could make an OOD-casting Ogre work eventually though, I just think you're making things tougher for yourself. But as long as you're having fun...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 17:35

Hmm, well maybe I'm not stating my plan well enough, because I'm doing basically what you're suggesting right now, which is to focus on my fighting and defensives, which I plan to continue doing for a while. If/when I find some higher level conjurations, I'll switch back to increasing my spell casting skills. I'm still not sure how to deal with the fact that haste is available, I think I'd be making a mistake to just train charms until it's castable at this point in the game, although I do want it eventually.

The reason this dump is so much more focused on casting is because finding that whip and ring of slaying let me off the hook for my early offense training, allowing me to spend that XP that would have gone into M&F on spellcasting and conjurations. Then, I probably left them on a little longer than I should have, but it's not as if I totally ignored fighting and dodging. Plus my melee is still really way ahead of the difficulty curve right now, I don't need to cast at all right now, I could just tab everything, but of course with my spells I'm that much safer.

At this point, I'm training armour skill, to help with my PDA. I'm not sure exactly when I should stop, probably around 10 skill, whenever I get another point of AC. Then I guess I'll go back to fighting.

Now, training conjurations and spellcasting wouldn't just be for OOD, obviously it also increases the power of the spells I already have. And I do think you're underestimating this character's spellpower a bit, it's not really that awful. The biggest flaw with this character is AC and EV, which would be almost as flawed even if I had no spells at all, since I'm an ogre and all. That's why I'm considering sticking with a one hander and using a shield, although I'm still not totally sure about that...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 17:42

Yes, I would use the whip and a (large) shield. The weapon is great vs non-rElec monsters and you have conjurations for dealing with rElec monsters.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 14:49

Well I'm at spider 5 now, and I've done up to shoals 3. I don't know why I thought swamp generated in this game. It's been forever since I've been to swamp, I like it so much better than shoals...

Here's my dump, I think you'll find a lot more to critique now.
  Code:

Cloughby the Ogre Mage (Ogre Wizard)               Turns: 49714, Time: 05:02:34

HP 159/182       AC 32     Str 16      XL: 17   Next: 80%
MP  35/38        EV  7     Int 22      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 1908        SH 20     Dex  8      Spells: 16 memorised,  1 level left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis .     R - +7,+5 whip (elec)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     k - +5 pearl dragon armour
rNeg   + . .     Conserve +     v - +0 shield {AC+3}
Saprov + . .     Stasis   .     B - amulet of conservation
MR     +....                    Y - +4 ring of protection

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy

You are on level 5 of the Spider Nest.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are very hungry.

You have visited 6 branches of the dungeon, and seen 36 of its levels.

You have collected 3320 gold pieces.
You have spent 1412 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 R - a +7,+5 whip of electrocution (weapon)
Missiles
 f - 29 poisoned needles
Armour
 b - a +1 hat (worn)
 c - a +2 cloak (worn)
 k - a +5 pearl dragon armour (worn)
 v - a +0 shield of protection (worn)
Magical devices
 C - a wand of digging {zapped: 1}
 F - a wand of disintegration {zapped: 2}
 G - a wand of fire (7)
 K - a wand of cold
 T - a wand of heal wounds (0)
Comestibles
 d - 9 meat rations
 l - 8 bread rations
Scrolls
 h - 6 scrolls of remove curse
 i - 8 scrolls of teleportation
 o - 5 scrolls of blinking
 s - 6 scrolls of fear
 t - 7 scrolls of fog
 x - a scroll of holy word
 y - 9 scrolls of identify
 E - 3 scrolls of summoning
 M - 7 scrolls of magic mapping
 Z - 2 scrolls of amnesia
Jewellery
 m - an uncursed ring of wizardry
 B - an amulet of conservation (around neck)
 I - the ring "Uxtuunumn" {+Fly rF+ Dex+3}
   (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of flight]

It affects your dexterity (+3).
   It protects you from fire.
   It lets you fly.
 V - an uncursed ring of positive energy
Potions
 a - a potion of invisibility
 e - 6 potions of heal wounds
 g - a potion of magic
 j - 5 potions of restore abilities
 n - 4 potions of haste
 q - 2 potions of might
 w - 2 potions of resistance
 z - 18 potions of curing
 A - 9 potions of agility
 D - a potion of berserk rage
 J - a potion of flight

Skills:
 + Level 14.6 Fighting
 - Level 12.0 Maces & Flails
 + Level 10.2 Armour
 - Level 10.5 Dodging
 - Level 1.5 Stealth
 - Level 9.0 Shields
 - Level 14.7 Spellcasting
 + Level 11.8 Conjurations
 - Level 3.0 Charms
 - Level 0.6 Summonings
 - Level 3.1 Earth Magic

You have one spell level left.

b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          14%         2    None
c - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ###...       10%         2    None
d - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #####...     1%          3    None
e - Call Imp              Summ           ###.....     14%         2    None
f - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  ####....     2%          3    None
g - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           ######..     1%          4    None
h - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       #####...     1%          3    None
i - Stone Arrow           Conj/Erth      #####.       1%          3    None
j - Sticky Flame          Conj/Fire      #####...     2%          4    None
k - Venom Bolt            Conj/Pois      #####.....   7%          5    ##.....
l - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      #####...     4%          5    ##.....
m - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ###.......   17%         3    None
n - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      ###.......   10%         2    None
o - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ###.....     10%         1    None
p - Apportation           Tloc           ###.......   10%         1    None

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15)            Temple (1/1) D:6             Orc (4/4) D:11
    Elf (0/3) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:8          Shoals (3/5) Lair:6
 Spider (5/5) Lair:3        Slime (0/6) Lair:6       Vaults (0/5) D:14
Depths: D:15       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
The Shining One

Shops:
D:12 [   Orc:4 [*=?

Annotations:

Message History

The jumping spider is almost dead.
Casting: Magic Dart
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
Aiming: Magic Dart
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - jumping spider
Aim: a jumping spider (almost dead)
The magic dart hits the jumping spider.
The jumping spider is almost dead.
The jumping spider pounces on you! You block the jumping spider's attack.
You hit the jumping spider.
You kill the jumping spider!
Vehumet accepts your kill.
You feel your power returning.
You start resting.
You are starving!
You are feeling very hungry.
You continue eating.
You finish eating. That rambutan was delicious!
Unknown command.
Saving game... please wait.

#^.#..#.#..##...
            #.^.#####.#^.##
            #...^# ####..^#
            ##..####....#.#
            #.%.^#.##...###
            #^.###..%.#...#
     ########..##....##..##
     #(.....^.%.#.#...#...#
     #...^...%#############
     #....^%..#           #
     ##.^...@##           #
      ##....##            #
       ##.%##             #
       ##%.#              #
 .    ##%.##              #
..s..##...#               #
   #˜.^˜.##               #
   ##.....#               #
    ###.#..#              #
      ## #^..

Now, in spider and shoals I definitely noticed my spells feeling a bit weak, but that's to be expected. Still, venom bolt is quite nice to have, and dazzling spray is a really nice way to soften up enemies and possibly open them up to easy 'stabs' with my whip.
I bought a ring of wizardry, although I'm not sure that was the best idea, as it does very little for me at the moment. Still, I'll probably want it sooner or later...
I used an acquirement scroll on armour, got a shield of protection, which isn't bad. Some armour training bumped my AC up a fair amount from my last dump.

There's a fair few enchant weapon 1/2/3 scrolls around, but I feel like I shouldn't use them on this whip... although I'm really not sure what I should be aiming for as an endgame weapon. I guess ideally I'd want a demon whip of elec, but that doesn't seem particularly likely to happen.

OK, let me have it guys. As long as your advice isn't to switch to trog or something.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 14:58

I am not sure why you say that wizardry does nothing for you, it can be useful for spamming Venom Bolt or Regeneration. Maybe train some Necromancy btw.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 15:01

Edit: wrong thread.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 15:09

I really want to say thanks to the topic starter - your thread inspired me to run shufled ogre experiment which turned out to be one of the most funny experiences I had in crawl

For this message the author arcanist has received thanks:
GlassGo

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 15:27

Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure why you say that wizardry does nothing for you, it can be useful for spamming Venom Bolt or Regeneration. Maybe train some Necromancy btw.

Yeah, a couple levels of necromancy wouldn't hurt, I wouldn't mind some extra power on regen.

I can already spam venom bolt without the wizardry ring, but I'm sure it'll be handy in the future anyway.

arcanist wrote:I really want to say thanks to the topic starter - your thread inspired me to run shufled ogre experiment which turned out to be one of the most funny experiences I had in crawl

I'm glad, for some reason spellcasting ogres are extra fun... of course, getting a whip of elec and a ring of +9 slaying may have made this one even more fun than usual.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
arcanist

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 17th April 2014, 16:55

Code:

Cloughby the Warrior (Ogre Wizard)                 Turns: 70818, Time: 07:13:34

HP 237/237       AC 31     Str 18      XL: 21   Next: 14%
MP  41/41        EV 10     Int 24      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 2563        SH 21     Dex 11      Spells: 17 memorised,  6 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     R - +7,+5 whip (elec)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     k - +6 pearl dragon armour
MR     ++...                    I - ring "Uxtuunumn" {+Fly rF+ Dex+3}

@: repel missiles, very resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight
}: 2/15 runes: barnacled, gossamer

You are on level 4 of the Vaults.
You worship Vehumet.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 8 branches of the dungeon, and seen 43 of its levels.

You have collected 3975 gold pieces.
You have spent 1412 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 R - a +7,+5 whip of electrocution (weapon)
 S - a +0 blowgun
Missiles
 f - 29 poisoned needles
 H - 16 curare-tipped needles
Armour
 b - a +1 hat (worn)
 c - a +2 cloak (worn)
 k - a +6 pearl dragon armour (worn)
Magical devices
 G - a wand of fire (7)
 K - a wand of cold
 T - a wand of heal wounds (4)
Comestibles
 d - 6 meat rations
 l - 6 bread rations
 L - 3 pieces of ambrosia
 N - an orange
 P - a snozzcumber
 Q - 2 chokos
 U - 8 chunks of orc flesh
 Z - 4 rotting chunks of orc flesh
Scrolls
 o - 4 scrolls of blinking
 s - 7 scrolls of fear
 t - 7 scrolls of fog
 x - a scroll of holy word
 y - 10 scrolls of identify
Jewellery
 I - the ring "Uxtuunumn" (right hand) {+Fly rF+ Dex+3}

[ring of flight]

It lets you fly.
 Y - a +4 ring of protection
Potions
 a - a potion of invisibility
 g - a potion of magic
 j - 6 potions of restore abilities
 n - 7 potions of haste
 q - a potion of might
 z - 16 potions of curing
 A - 9 potions of agility
 J - a potion of flight
 W - a potion of brilliance

Skills:
 * Level 20.2 Fighting
 - Level 12.0 Maces & Flails
 - Level 14.0 Armour
 * Level 10.9 Dodging
 - Level 1.5 Stealth
 - Level 9.0 Shields
 + Level 16.6 Spellcasting
 - Level 12.2 Conjurations
 - Level 3.0 Charms
 - Level 0.6 Summonings
 - Level 1.0 Necromancy
 + Level 6.9 Earth Magic

You have 6 spell levels left.

b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          8%          2    None
c - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ####..       4%          2    None
d - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #####...     1%          3    None
f - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  #####...     1%          3    None
h - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       #####...     1%          3    None
i - Stone Arrow           Conj/Erth      ######       1%          3    None
j - Sticky Flame          Conj/Fire      #####...     1%          4    None
k - Venom Bolt            Conj/Pois      #####.....   4%          5    None
l - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      ######..     2%          5    None
m - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ####......   10%         3    None
n - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      #####.....   1%          2    None
o - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ###.....     4%          1    None
p - Apportation           Tloc           ###.......   4%          1    None
q - Flight                Chrm/Air       ####......   10%         3    None

Quick update: Got the lair branch runes, spider 3 was harder than the rest for some reason, probably the lack of clarity and those stupid tarantellas.
Had to random teleport myself out of trouble in shoals, but having the flight spell made it a lot more bearable.
I've made it to vaults 4, but I don't plan to go into vault 5 yet.

I suppose my next stop will be depths, which is going to be... interesting...

Please, let me know if it looks like I'm doing anything stupid (besides picking vehumet). Vehumet was a bad choice, were it not for the very lucky drops I don't think this character would really be viable. But, the RNG clearly wants me to win, or at least die a spectacular death, so I will continue down this path.

I'm probably getting to the point where I need to make a decision on my final weapon. I haven't found anything better than the shield of protection, so I'm not sure whether I should stick with the shields and whip, try to replace the whip with a different 1 hander, or whether I should abandon the shield for a GSC. Obviously that would require a lot more M&F skill, but I am an ogre...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th April 2014, 17:02

Well, I would not train Dodging. Also I would get Translocation for Blink at 1-2%, Necromancy for Regeneration at 3-4%, a couple of levels in Air and Poison for Flight/RMsl and Venom Bolt. Do you have Haste?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 17th April 2014, 17:46

I have a book with haste in it, yes.
You think I should train up some air, even with the antitraining malus from earth training?
Getting those other spells reliable sounds like a good idea.

When I equip an item with +3 dex, I get 2 ev, so I assumed that meant I was near the breakpoint for dodging to start giving me EV, is there any way for me to know when I'll actually start getting EV from dodging?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th April 2014, 17:53

Anti-training is not a big deal if you are going for skill level 1 or 2 (training -7 skill from 0 to 2 is the same XP as for training -3 skill from 0 to 3).
The only reliable way to know how useful is Dodging for you is to use wizmode. I think EV 10 is too low and you already have almost 11 levels in Dodging, having something like EV 15 with Dodging 16 will not change much IMHO, it's still a low EV.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 15:07

Here's an update:

Finished off vaults 4, which got a bit nasty here and there from getting marked and/or convokers summoning everything while wardens locked the doors. Luckily I have a good supply of teleport scrolls, but I'm not comfortable with losing control over the situation so often.

I decided to switch over to an eveningstar, as the base damage of 15 seemed worth the trade from the whip of elec. Was that a good move?

I found a book with iron shot in it, so I decided to memorize it. It does appreciable damage, but accuracy is so-so. Fire bolt is also available, maybe I should drop venom bolt for it?

Orb of destruction is also available. I'm really not sure what my spell loadout should look like, I feel like it's a mess right now.

Code:

Cloughby the Slayer (Ogre Wizard)                  Turns: 85973, Time: 08:52:24

HP 245/265       AC 39     Str 18      XL: 23   Next: 58%
MP  43/43        EV  8     Int 24      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 3554        SH 21     Dex  8      Spells: 18 memorised,  3 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis .     D - +6,+4 eveningstar (crush)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     k - +8 pearl dragon armour
rPois  .         rCorr    .     b - +2 hat
MR     ++...                    Y - +4 ring of protection

@: very resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
}: 2/15 runes: barnacled, gossamer

You are on level 2 of the Depths.
You worship Vehumet.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and seen 46 of its levels.

You have collected 5004 gold pieces.
You have spent 1450 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 D - a +6,+4 eveningstar of crushing (weapon)
 R - a +7,+6 whip of electrocution
 S - a +0 blowgun
Missiles
 f - 29 poisoned needles
Armour
 b - a +2 hat (worn)
 c - a +2 cloak (worn)
 k - a +8 pearl dragon armour (worn)
Magical devices
 G - a wand of fire (7)
 K - a wand of cold
 L - a wand of digging
 O - a wand of disintegration
Comestibles
 d - 7 meat rations
 l - 8 bread rations
 y - a chunk of hobgoblin flesh
 N - a pear
 X - 2 rotting chunks of monstrous demonspawn flesh
 Z - an apple
Scrolls
 o - 4 scrolls of blinking
 r - a scroll of recharging
 s - 7 scrolls of fear
 t - 6 scrolls of fog
 x - a scroll of silence
 Q - 2 scrolls of amnesia
 U - 6 scrolls of identify
Jewellery

[ring of flight]

It lets you fly.
Potions
 a - 2 potions of invisibility
 e - 5 potions of heal wounds
 g - 3 potions of magic
 j - 7 potions of restore abilities
 n - 7 potions of haste
 q - a potion of might
 z - 15 potions of curing
 A - 8 potions of agility
 J - a potion of flight
 W - 3 potions of brilliance
Books
 P - a book of Power   

Fulminant Prism                    Conjuration/Hexes            4
   *Iskenderun's Mystic Blast         Conjuration                  4
   *Venom Bolt                        Conjuration/Poison           5
   Bolt of Magma                      Conjuration/Fire/Earth       5
   *Iron Shot                         Conjuration/Earth            6
   Orb of Destruction                 Conjuration                  7

Skills:
 - Level 22.3 Fighting
 * Level 16.1 Maces & Flails
 + Level 16.0 Armour
 - Level 11.0 Dodging
 - Level 1.5 Stealth
 - Level 9.0 Shields
 - Level 17.0 Spellcasting
 + Level 13.1 Conjurations
 - Level 3.0 Charms
 - Level 0.6 Summonings
 - Level 3.5 Necromancy
 - Level 3.6 Translocations
 - Level 7.0 Earth Magic

You have 3 spell levels left.

b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
c - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ####..       4%          2    None
d - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      ######..     1%          3    None
f - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  #####...     1%          3    None
h - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       ######..     1%          3    None
i - Stone Arrow           Conj/Erth      ######       1%          3    None
j - Sticky Flame          Conj/Fire      ######..     1%          4    None
k - Venom Bolt            Conj/Pois      ######....   3%          5    None
l - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      ######..     1%          5    None
m - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #####.....   3%          3    None
n - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      #####.....   1%          2    None
o - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ###.....     4%          1    None
p - Apportation           Tloc           #####.....   1%          1    None
q - Flight                Chrm/Air       ####......   10%         3    None
r - Iron Shot             Conj/Erth      ######....   4%          6    ####...

Branches:
    Elf (0/3) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:8          Shoals (5/5) Lair:6
 Spider (5/5) Lair:3        Slime (0/6) Lair:6       Vaults (4/5) D:14
  Blade (1/1) Vaults:3      Crypt (0/5) Vaults:2     Depths (3/5) D:15

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
The Shining One

Shops:
D:12 [   Orc:4 [*=?   Vaults:3 !*%!

Portals:
Hell: Depths:1 Depths:2 Depths:3
Abyss: Depths:2
Pandemonium: Depths:3
Ziggurat: Depths:3
Trove: Depths:2 (give +4 fire dragon armour)

Annotations:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 17:30

Electro damage was nerfed recently so I don't know which weapon is better. You can do fsim if really interested.
I would train Charms for Haste, based on your 3% Venom Bolt with 0 Poison and 13 Conjurations without wizardry, it will not need much XP to get online.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 17:46

Oh, electric brand was weakened? That's interesting. I haven't compiled in about a week though, so maybe I don't have that change.

I know people have said how to do this before but... how do I fsim?

Also, I'm surprised more people aren't commenting. Is my character just that good? :lol:

Or more likely, have I annoyed all the people that would normally comment on CIPs?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 18:00

http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... c7ae4be68d

To fsim, enter wiz mode (&Y), then press F, type "yak" and press "a" to test attacking a yak.

Yes, basically your character is good enough, I don't see any mistakes so I am just trolling like you do :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 18:55

Trolling? You've only given me good advice, that's not trolling.

And I'm not a troll... although I can see how it may appear that way from time to time. I get a bit too worked up about stupid stuff sometimes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 19:02

Forgot to mention, maybe you know it but for wiz mode you should create a new character. Once you entered wiz mode there is no way back, the character will always ask for confirmation before dying.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 19:38

Yeah, I really need to figure out how to wiz mode and FSIM. I'll try it out when I get a chance, with a new character.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 14:11

Re: YASD - OgWz - Hubris is OP

Code:

946063 Cloughby the Conqueror (level 27, 0/323 HPs)
             Began as an Ogre Wizard on Apr 13, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Splashed by a yellow draconian's acid (12 damage)
             ... on Level 12 of a ziggurat on Apr 20, 2014.
             The game lasted 17:54:33 (153803 turns).

Cloughby the Conqueror (Ogre Wizard)              Turns: 153803, Time: 17:54:34

HP   0/323       AC 45     Str 19 (20) XL: 27
MP  46/48        EV 12     Int 26      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 5132        SH 21     Dex  8      Spells: 20 memorised,  0 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis .     D - +9,+8 eveningstar (flame)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     k - +10 pearl dragon armour (curse)
rNeg   + + .     Conserve +     q - +0 shield {AC+3}
rPois  +         rCorr    .     b - +2 hat
rElec  .         rRot     .     V - +2 cloak {MR+}
MR     ++++.                    R - ring of Joannefe {+Rage rPois rN+ MR+}

@: regenerating, stone skin, drained, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, fast metabolism 1, saprovore 1, tough skin 1
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk Rage
}: 6/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, abyssal, demonic, gossamer

You were on level 12 of a ziggurat.
You worshipped Vehumet.
Vehumet was exalted by your worship.
You were full.

You visited 13 branches of the dungeon, and saw 65 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 3 times, and saw 9 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 4 times.
You visited 2 Ziggurats, and saw 19 of their levels (deepest: 12).
You also visited: Bailey.

You collected 10504 gold pieces.
You spent 5372 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 D - a +9,+8 eveningstar of flaming (weapon)
Missiles
Armour
 b - a +2 hat (worn)
 c - the +2 cloak of the Republic {Str+4 Int+1}
   (You found it on level 8 of a ziggurat)   

It affects your strength (+4).
   It affects your intelligence (+1).
 k - a cursed +10 pearl dragon armour (worn)
 q - a +0 shield of protection (worn)
 x - a +2 cloak of poison resistance
 V - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 w - a wand of disintegration (10)
 C - a wand of digging (5)
 G - a wand of fire (7)
 J - a wand of teleportation (4)
 K - a wand of teleportation (3)
Comestibles
 d - 9 meat rations
 l - 8 bread rations
 v - 3 rotting chunks of orb spider flesh
Scrolls
 f - 6 scrolls of silence
 h - 8 scrolls of remove curse
 i - 10 scrolls of teleportation
 o - 7 scrolls of blinking
 s - 8 scrolls of fear
 t - 12 scrolls of fog
 y - 5 scrolls of magic mapping
 E - 2 scrolls of summoning
 L - 3 scrolls of enchant armour
 M - 2 scrolls of holy word
 O - a scroll of amnesia
 Q - 2 scrolls of recharging
 U - 14 scrolls of identify
 X - a scroll of enchant weapon I
Jewellery
 F - an uncursed amulet of clarity

[ring of flight]

It lets you fly.
 R - the ring of Joannefe (right hand) {+Rage rPois rN+ MR+}
   (You took it off a tengu reaver on level 5 of the Vaults)   

[ring of poison resistance]

It protects you from poison.
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
   It lets you go berserk.
 Y - an uncursed amulet of resist corrosion
 Z - the ring "Tuopt" {+Fly rElec rPois Dex-2 SInv}
   (You found it on level 6 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of flight]

It affects your dexterity (-2).
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It lets you fly.
Potions
 a - 3 potions of invisibility
 g - 4 potions of magic
 n - 6 potions of haste
 r - 3 potions of might
 z - 12 potions of curing
 A - 7 potions of agility
 N - a potion of cure mutation
 P - a potion of resistance

Skills:
 O Level 27(26.9) Fighting
 - Level 16.1(16.0) Maces & Flails
 + Level 24.7(24.6) Armour
 + Level 19.3(19.2) Dodging
 - Level 1.5(1.4) Stealth
 - Level 9.0(8.9) Shields
 - Level 24.3(24.2) Spellcasting
 + Level 19.1(19.0) Conjurations
 - Level 12.0(11.9) Charms
 - Level 0.6(0.5) Summonings
 - Level 3.5(3.4) Necromancy
 - Level 5.9(5.8) Translocations
 - Level 2.1(2.0) Transmutations
 - Level 1.0(0.9) Ice Magic
 - Level 7.0(6.9) Air Magic
 - Level 11.4(11.3) Earth Magic

You couldn't memorise any spells.
You knew the following spells:

a - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         0%          1    None
c - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #######...   1%          7    ###....
e - Haste                 Chrm           #######.     1%          6    None
f - Freezing Cloud        Conj/Ice/Air   ######....   1%          6    None
g - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #######.     0%          4    None
h - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       ######....   4%          6    None
i - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           #####.....   1%          2    None
k - Bolt of Magma         Conj/Fire/Erth ######....   1%          5    None
l - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      #######.     1%          5    None
m - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ######....   1%          3    None
n - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      ######....   1%          2    None
o - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ####....     1%          1    None
p - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    None
q - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    None
r - Iron Shot             Conj/Erth      #######...   1%          6    None
s - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ######..     1%          2    None
t - Phase Shift           Tloc           ######....   2%          5    None

This character was a powerhouse. I died because hubris is wildly OP, and made me completely fail to care that my HPs were getting low until it was too late. First time I got the abyssal rune (what a boring slog that was), first time I got an ogre at all far into the game, first actual spellcaster/melee hybrid (as in, both were valid killing tools, largely thanks to a +0,+9 ring of slaying). I was really hoping to find an amulet of RMut in that zig. I shouldn't have even been there, this character was good, but not really equipped for zigs.

I learned a few very valuable lessons. Aptitudes aren't really a very big deal. Eveningstars are awesome. Shields are very useful for the situations in which they can be used. Vehumet was a poor choice, but not entirely useless.

Oh well... for now I'm running a DrWa. Awesomely skilled for Tmuts, unfortunately, no books, and started with freeze. Oh well, I'll make the best of it...

Any obvious mistakes? (Aside from not just ascending with my runes)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 14:27

Congrats on a fine looking character, and it's too bad you didn't ascend. I've lost one in a Zig in extended too, and it just felt stupid.

Your skills ended up looking pretty ok, even if I disagree with the order you trained them. Still think you could have afforded to shift some of those Int over to Dex (12 EV for a char with nearly 20 Dodging is pathetic), but probably that's not what killed you.

I'm curious as to how often you casted OOD or Iron Shot (as opposed to, say, eveningstar to the face) so would you mind posting the action log too? Should be at end of your dump.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 17:45

Code:

946063 Cloughby the Conqueror (level 27, 0/323 HPs)
             Began as an Ogre Wizard on Apr 13, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Splashed by a yellow draconian's acid (12 damage)
             ... on Level 12 of a ziggurat on Apr 20, 2014.
             The game lasted 17:54:33 (153803 turns).

Cloughby the Conqueror (Ogre Wizard)              Turns: 153803, Time: 17:54:34

HP   0/323       AC 45     Str 19 (20) XL: 27
MP  46/48        EV 12     Int 26      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 5132        SH 21     Dex  8      Spells: 20 memorised,  0 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis .     D - +9,+8 eveningstar (flame)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     k - +10 pearl dragon armour (curse)
rNeg   + + .     Conserve +     q - +0 shield {AC+3}
rPois  +         rCorr    .     b - +2 hat
rElec  .         rRot     .     V - +2 cloak {MR+}
MR     ++++.                    R - ring of Joannefe {+Rage rPois rN+ MR+}

@: regenerating, stone skin, drained, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, fast metabolism 1, saprovore 1, tough skin 1
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk Rage
}: 6/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, abyssal, demonic, gossamer

You were on level 12 of a ziggurat.
You worshipped Vehumet.
Vehumet was exalted by your worship.
You were full.

You visited 13 branches of the dungeon, and saw 65 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 3 times, and saw 9 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 4 times.
You visited 2 Ziggurats, and saw 19 of their levels (deepest: 12).
You also visited: Bailey.

You collected 10504 gold pieces.
You spent 5372 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 D - a +9,+8 eveningstar of flaming (weapon)
Missiles
Armour
 b - a +2 hat (worn)
 c - the +2 cloak of the Republic {Str+4 Int+1}
   (You found it on level 8 of a ziggurat)   

It affects your strength (+4).
   It affects your intelligence (+1).
 k - a cursed +10 pearl dragon armour (worn)
 q - a +0 shield of protection (worn)
 x - a +2 cloak of poison resistance
 V - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 w - a wand of disintegration (10)
 C - a wand of digging (5)
 G - a wand of fire (7)
 J - a wand of teleportation (4)
 K - a wand of teleportation (3)
Comestibles
 d - 9 meat rations
 l - 8 bread rations
 v - 3 rotting chunks of orb spider flesh
Scrolls
 f - 6 scrolls of silence
 h - 8 scrolls of remove curse
 i - 10 scrolls of teleportation
 o - 7 scrolls of blinking
 s - 8 scrolls of fear
 t - 12 scrolls of fog
 y - 5 scrolls of magic mapping
 E - 2 scrolls of summoning
 L - 3 scrolls of enchant armour
 M - 2 scrolls of holy word
 O - a scroll of amnesia
 Q - 2 scrolls of recharging
 U - 14 scrolls of identify
 X - a scroll of enchant weapon I
Jewellery
 F - an uncursed amulet of clarity

[ring of flight]

It lets you fly.
 R - the ring of Joannefe (right hand) {+Rage rPois rN+ MR+}
   (You took it off a tengu reaver on level 5 of the Vaults)   

[ring of poison resistance]

It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
   It lets you go berserk.
 Y - an uncursed amulet of resist corrosion
 Z - the ring "Tuopt" {+Fly rElec rPois Dex-2 SInv}
   (You found it on level 6 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of flight]

It affects your dexterity (-2).
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It lets you fly.
Potions
 a - 3 potions of invisibility
 g - 4 potions of magic
 n - 6 potions of haste
 r - 3 potions of might
 z - 12 potions of curing
 A - 7 potions of agility
 N - a potion of cure mutation
 P - a potion of resistance

Skills:
 O Level 27(26.9) Fighting
 - Level 16.1(16.0) Maces & Flails
 + Level 24.7(24.6) Armour
 + Level 19.3(19.2) Dodging
 - Level 1.5(1.4) Stealth
 - Level 9.0(8.9) Shields
 - Level 24.3(24.2) Spellcasting
 + Level 19.1(19.0) Conjurations
 - Level 12.0(11.9) Charms
 - Level 0.6(0.5) Summonings
 - Level 3.5(3.4) Necromancy
 - Level 5.9(5.8) Translocations
 - Level 2.1(2.0) Transmutations
 - Level 1.0(0.9) Ice Magic
 - Level 7.0(6.9) Air Magic
 - Level 11.4(11.3) Earth Magic

You couldn't memorise any spells.
You knew the following spells:

a - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         0%          1    None
c - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #######...   1%          7    ###....
e - Haste                 Chrm           #######.     1%          6    None
f - Freezing Cloud        Conj/Ice/Air   ######....   1%          6    None
g - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #######.     0%          4    None
h - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       ######....   4%          6    None
i - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           #####.....   1%          2    None
k - Bolt of Magma         Conj/Fire/Erth ######....   1%          5    None
l - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      #######.     1%          5    None
m - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ######....   1%          3    None
n - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      ######....   1%          2    None
o - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ####....     1%          1    None
p - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    None
q - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    None
r - Iron Shot             Conj/Erth      #######...   1%          6    None
s - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ######..     1%          2    None
t - Phase Shift           Tloc           ######....   2%          5    None

Branches:
    Elf (3/3) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:8          Shoals (5/5) Lair:6
 Spider (5/5) Lair:3        Slime (6/6) Lair:6       Vaults (5/5) D:14
  Blade (1/1) Vaults:3      Crypt (4/5) Vaults:2       Tomb (0/3) Crypt:3
    Zot (3/5) Depths:5     Depths (5/5) D:15       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
The Shining One
Jiyva

Shops:
D:12 [   Orc:4 [*=?   Vaults:3 !*%!   Depths:4 [   Depths:5 *

Portals:
Hell: Depths:1 Depths:2 Depths:3 Depths:4 Depths:5
Abyss: Depths:2 Depths:4
Pandemonium: Depths:3 Depths:4
Trove: Depths:2 (give +4 fire dragon armour)

Annotations:

Message History

The pale draconian closely misses you.
The yellow draconian spits acid at you.
The splash of acid hits you!
The acid corrodes your +1 shield of protection!
The acid burns!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
Casting: Stoneskin
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
You blink.
A purple draconian and a white draconian come into view.
You are engulfed in freezing vapours.
One of your 7 potions of heal wounds freezes and shatters!
Two of your 14 potions of curing freeze and shatter!
The black draconian monk breathes lightning at you.
The bolt of lightning hits you!
The yellow draconian spits acid at you.
The splash of acid hits you! The acid burns!
You die...

........¦¦
           .........¦
           .........¦
    ...?  ??........¦¦
   .....  ?.......n..¦
  /.....???.....ddd)¦¦
 )}....d.?.......)§.¦
 .d.....d........)))¦
 ....d.....§.......¦¦
....d.......§...)..¦
¦...........§@§§..¦¦
¦¦¦.............¦¦¦
  ¦¦..........§¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦.¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦

You could see a black draconian monk, a yellow draconian, a purple draconian, a
white draconian and a pale draconian.

Vanquished Creatures
  the royal jelly (Slime:6)
  The ghost of Strongar the Axe Maniac, a legendary HOFi of Zin (Pan)
  6 pandemonium lords (Pan)
  3 ancient liches
  Saint Roka (Crypt:2)
  Boris (Depths:5)
  Sojobo (Crypt:2)
  Norris (Elf:3)
  Mara (Vaults:2)
  Mennas (Crypt:1)
  6 golden dragons
  16 bone dragons
  An electric golem (Zot:3)
  the Enchantress (Depths:4)
  Nikola (Spider:5)
  4 profane servitors
  Arachne (Spider:1)
  2 Hell Sentinels
  A hellephant (Abyss:4)
  2 Ice Fiends (Pan)
  18 tentacled monstrosities
  3 deep elf blademasters
  7 titans
  16 acid blobs
  6 deep elf master archers
  21 liches
  12 storm dragons
  13 Executioners
  3 sphinxes
  3 blood saints (Pan)
  Agnes (Shoals:2)
  3 ancient champions
  38 tentacled starspawn
  8 shadow dragons
  Frances (Shoals:3)
  Kirke (Shoals:4)
  8 draconian monks
  9 tengu reavers
  Ilsuiw (Shoals:4)
  6 revenants
  14 azure jellies
  5 orc warlords
  Donald (Vaults:3)
  3 draconian scorchers
  10 deep elf sorcerers
  11 fire giants
  7 ghost moths
  Maud (Lair:4)
  12 balrugs
  A greater naga (Zig:7)
  16 vault wardens
  2 iron dragons (Vaults:5)
  6 emperor scorpions
  12 frost giants
  9 draconian knights
  4 warmongers (Pan)
  2 angels (Depths:3)
  10 cacodemons
  2 draconian zealots
  5 spriggan defenders
  Jorgrun (Depths:4)
  6 draconian annihilators
  4 draconian shifters
  14 corrupters (Pan)
  22 rakshasas
  29 stone giants
  7 green draconians
  10 deep elf demonologists
  4 reapers
  A war gargoyle (Vaults:4)
  2 vampire knights
  8 grey draconians
  3 red draconians
  12 deep elf annihilators
  5 dire elephants
  4 yellow draconians
  7 curse skulls
  4 purple draconians
  5 black draconians
  3 mottled draconians
  9 pale draconians
  9 chaos champions (Pan)
  6 lorocyprocas
  5 black suns (Pan)
  5 white draconians
  29 vault guards
  7 death oozes
  2 unborn (Abyss:3)
  27 blizzard demons
  6 minotaurs
  12 merfolk javelineers
  2 pearl dragon zombies (Crypt:1)
  12 merfolk impalers
  7 eidola
  23 ettins
  8 deep elf death magi
  8 green deaths
  20 fire dragons
  5 great orbs of eyes
  5 deep elf high priests
  Josephine (D:12)
  A quicksilver dragon zombie (Crypt:2)
  4 death cobs
  16 ironheart preservers
  18 jiangshi
  7 sirens
  An ice dragon (shapeshifter) (Vaults:5)
  Fannar (Lair:4)
  25 yaktaur captains
  A spectral tengu (Crypt:2)
  6 spriggan air magi
  Harold (Lair:6)
  4 naga warriors
  A quicksilver dragon skeleton (Abyss:3)
  10 hydras
  32 monstrous demonspawn
  16 dancing weapons
  A ravenous feature mimic (Vaults:2)
  2 ravenous item mimics
  15 ice dragons
  Erica (Elf:1)
  3 tengu warriors
  An alligator snapping turtle (Shoals:2)
  14 deep troll shamans
  14 deep troll earth magi
  7 merfolk aquamancers
  6 hell hogs
  5 deep dwarf death knights
  2 satyrs
  4 spriggan berserkers
  50 thrashing horrors
  3 plague shamblers
  6 holy swine (Pan)
  26 death yaks
  4 spectral elves
  18 ogre magi
  21 sun demons
  6 vampire magi
  26 very ugly things
  Urug (D:11)
  A titan zombie (Crypt:1)
  9 orc high priests
  4 catoblepae
  2 shock serpents (Zig:7)
  14 centaur warriors
  A storm dragon zombie (Depths:1)
  A titan skeleton (Abyss:1)
  3 fire crabs
  23 ice devils
  24 deep elf knights
  3 hell knights
  21 soul eaters
  42 wretched stars
  16 skeletal warriors
  10 iron trolls
  2 fire crabs (shapeshifter)
  18 sea snakes
  A catoblepas (shapeshifter) (Vaults:4)
  An orb spider (shapeshifter) (Depths:4)
  A death drake (Abyss:3)
  A salamander mystic (Depths:3)
  10 shadow demons
  12 shadow wraiths
  An anaconda zombie (Crypt:2)
  3 wizards
  15 spatial maelstroms
  A storm dragon skeleton (Vaults:3)
  9 deep elf summoners
  34 putrid demonspawn
  19 orb spiders
  9 unseen horrors
  A naga ritualist (Zig:7)
  140 large abominations
  10 hill giants
  22 torturous demonspawn (Pan)
  56 deep trolls
  A swamp dragon (Zig:6)
  9 giant orange brains
  35 infernal demonspawn (Pan)
  An ice statue (Pan)
  16 harpies
  A shadow dragon zombie (Vaults:4)
  6 hellions
  A lindwurm (Lair:6)
  8 water nymphs
  A water nymph (shapeshifter) (Vaults:4)
  9 flayed ghosts
  25 ironbrand convokers
  21 deep elf conjurers
  10 necromancers
  8 flaming corpses
  An anaconda skeleton (Abyss:3)
  2 golden dragon skeletons
  26 orc knights
  Joseph (D:8)
  38 gelid demonspawn (Pan)
  A frost giant zombie (Crypt:1)
  3 fire giant zombies
  A spectral human (Vaults:1)
  3 stone giant zombies
  A manticore (shapeshifter) (Elf:2)
  A spectral holy swine (Crypt:1)
  6 oklob plants (Zig:7)
  15 griffons
  A draconian zombie (Zig:4)
  7 fauns
  52 wolf spiders
  A shadow dragon skeleton (Depths:3)
  A mana viper (shapeshifter) (Depths:5)
  A mana viper (Abyss:1)
  A faun (shapeshifter) (Vaults:1)
  5 shining eyes
  19 phantasmal warriors
  37 slime creatures
  8 salamanders
  An iron dragon skeleton (Crypt:3)
  10 manticores
  8 apocalypse crabs
  4 orc sorcerers
  A mermaid (shapeshifter) (Vaults:4)
  A draconian (shapeshifter) (Elf:1)
  8 cyclopes
  A draconian skeleton (Depths:5)
  A storm dragon simulacrum (Abyss:3)
  An octopode (shapeshifter) (Depths:1)
  21 worldbinders
  73 small abominations
  A salamander (shapeshifter) (Vaults:4)
  5 red wasps
  3 dire elephant zombies
  8 elephants
  3 frost giant skeletons
  A naga mage (Zig:7)
  40 sixfirhies
  A stone giant skeleton (Abyss:1)
  7 black mambas
  3 guardian serpents
  13 mermaids
  20 moths of wrath
  A gargoyle (D:13)
  49 smoke demons
  5 eyes of devastation
  16 vault sentinels
  57 yaktaurs
  2 shock serpent skeletons
  8 efreet
  A demonspawn skeleton (Pan)
  2 grey draconian zombies
  A pale draconian zombie (Crypt:2)
  A feature mimic (Lair:8)
  2 item mimics
  39 orange demons
  4 tengu conjurers
  3 kobold demonologists
  8 spiny frogs
  5 tormentors
  2 fire drakes (shapeshifter)
  A red draconian zombie (Crypt:4)
  7 komodo dragons
  2 phoenix simulacra (Crypt:1)
  20 deep elf priests
  21 demonic crawlers
  28 blue devils
  A centaur zombie (D:12)
  63 hellwings
  A purple draconian skeleton (Crypt:3)
  5 fire drakes
  A silent spectre (Crypt:3)
  A troll (shapeshifter) (D:14)
  42 ancient zymes
  3 hell beasts (Pan)
  4 iron devils
  9 freezing wraiths
  A yaktaur (shapeshifter) (Vaults:3)
  A harpy zombie (Crypt:2)
  2 queen bees (shapeshifter)
  A yellow draconian skeleton (Crypt:1)
  4 shedu zombies (Crypt:1)
  A boggart (shapeshifter) (Depths:1)
  The ghost of Winman the Conjurer, an experienced DECj of Vehumet (D:6)
  24 red devils
  8 boggarts
  3 hydra zombies
  A death drake zombie (Crypt:4)
  A jumping spider (shapeshifter) (Vaults:4)
  36 jumping spiders
  37 merfolk
  3 centaur skeletons
  A polar bear (Lair:5)
  A harpy skeleton (Abyss:3)
  29 brown oozes
  6 wind drakes
  2 giant fireflies (Depths:5)
  A moth of wrath zombie (Zot:1)
  16 trolls
  17 blink frogs
  A giant firefly (shapeshifter) (D:14)
  A catoblepas zombie (D:14)
  A trapdoor spider zombie (Crypt:3)
  A stone giant simulacrum (Crypt:2)
  2 polar bears (shapeshifter)
  An iron dragon simulacrum (Crypt:1)
  14 ravens
  A hydra skeleton (Crypt:2)
  83 raiju
  A bog body (Zig:6)
  A frost giant simulacrum (Depths:3)
  2 fire dragon zombies
  A basilisk (shapeshifter) (Depths:1)
  6 boulder beetles
  2 slime creatures (shapeshifter)
  29 two-headed ogres
  A red wasp zombie (Crypt:2)
  A shadow dragon simulacrum (Crypt:1)
  4 ettin zombies
  A minotaur skeleton (Crypt:4)
  An alligator zombie (Crypt:2)
  5 snapping turtles
  45 trapdoor spiders
  A raiju (shapeshifter) (Vaults:3)
  A satyr zombie (Crypt:1)
  7 air elementals
  38 tarantellas
  51 redbacks
  5 ettin skeletons
  3 fire dragon skeletons (Depths:1)
  A satyr skeleton (Crypt:2)
  A tarantella (shapeshifter) (Vaults:1)
  28 flying skulls
  7 vampires
  73 ynoxinuls
  A wyvern (D:8)
  18 sharks
  41 deep elf magi
  70 yaks
  A fire bat (Abyss:3)
  4 spriggans
  15 water elementals
  35 neqoxecs
  A toenail golem (Abyss:3)
  14 wraiths
  A human (D:8)
  3 shadows
  A yaktaur simulacrum (Vaults:5)
  3 basilisks
  The ghost of Rando the Ogre Mage, an average OgWz (D:4)
  25 golden eyes
  2 steam dragons (D:13)
  61 ugly things
  2 elephant slugs
  A hippogriff (shapeshifter) (Depths:1)
  A hog (D:8)
  Grum (D:11)
  A dire elephant simulacrum (Abyss:3)
  27 vampire mosquitoes
  10 wolves
  45 deep elf fighters
  An infernal demonspawn zombie (Pan)
  A mottled dragon (D:13)
  21 chaos spawn
  2 putrid demonspawn zombies (Pan)
  2 deep troll zombies
  11 hippogriffs
  17 spatial vortices
  2 tengu zombies
  8 nagas
  8 wargs
  A gelid demonspawn zombie (Pan)
  16 water moccasins
  A hell hound (Abyss:3)
  7 hungry ghosts
  A tengu skeleton (D:13)
  A necrophage (Crypt:2)
  A putrid demonspawn skeleton (Pan)
  2 sky beasts
  A soldier ant (D:13)
  2 human simulacra
  2 phantoms (D:8)
  A faun skeleton (Crypt:2)
  A gelid demonspawn skeleton (Pan)
  An infernal demonspawn skeleton (Crypt:3)
  A deep troll skeleton (Crypt:1)
  7 porcupines
  A water moccasin (shapeshifter) (Vaults:2)
  A deep dwarf (shapeshifter) (Vaults:4)
  2 black bears (D:9)
  69 ogres
  An ettin simulacrum (Vaults:5)
  9 ice beasts
  20 spiders
  2 spiny frog skeletons (Crypt:2)
  A black bear (shapeshifter) (Vaults:3)
  3 yellow wasps
  5 giant goldfish
  63 orc warriors
  A fire dragon simulacrum (Abyss:3)
  3 centaurs
  A boring beetle (Spider:1)
  6 big kobolds
  A blink frog skeleton (Crypt:2)
  5 human skeletons
  A manticore skeleton (Abyss:3)
  A hill giant simulacrum (D:14)
  17 crocodiles
  An earth elemental (Abyss:4)
  2 lost souls
  15 giant slugs
  14 giant frogs
  An ugly thing zombie (D:12)
  5 brain worms
  24 insubstantial wisps
  A spider zombie (Crypt:2)
  A gnoll sergeant (D:6)
  A wyvern skeleton (D:15)
  A water moccasin skeleton (Crypt:4)
  A yaktaur skeleton (D:13)
  2 eyes of draining
  5 scorpions
  2 komodo dragon skeletons
  A swamp dragon simulacrum (Abyss:3)
  A troll zombie (D:12)
  A cyclops skeleton (D:12)
  A raiju zombie (Abyss:3)
  9 killer bees
  A hippogriff skeleton (D:10)
  A spectral centaur (Abyss:1)
  A pulsating lump (Slime:5)
  21 wights
  An electric eel (Spider:3)
  3 troll skeletons
  6 crimson imps
  2 elf zombies
  A goliath beetle (shapeshifter) (Abyss:3)
  A pulsating lump (shapeshifter) (Depths:4)
  10 quasits
  31 orc priests
  104 starcursed masses
  4 goliath beetles
  16 hounds
  Crazy Yiuf (D:4)
  3 big fish
  11 iguanas
  14 jellies
  A giant frog skeleton (D:4)
  7 iron imps
  36 orc wizards
  12 worker ants
  A lightning spire (Zig:8)
  An orange rat (Depths:3)
  33 sheep
  A crocodile zombie (Crypt:3)
  A troll simulacrum (D:12)
  A mottled dragon skeleton (Crypt:3)
  A naga skeleton (Crypt:1)
  A hound skeleton (D:4)
  3 mummies
  22 adders
  19 gnolls
  50 green rats
  8 shadow imps
  An orc zombie (Vaults:2)
  4 giant mites
  2 orc skeletons
  13 white imps
  11 worms
  60 ufetubi
  A snake zombie (Crypt:1)
  2 adder skeletons
  14 giant eyeballs
  7 giant geckos
  7 oozes
  254 orcs
  17 bats
  8 giant cockroaches
  A gnoll skeleton (Crypt:4)
  A gnoll zombie (D:6)
  53 goblins
  A green rat zombie (Crypt:4)
  A hobgoblin (shapeshifter) (Depths:4)
  28 hobgoblins
  12 quokkas
  A ball python (D:1)
  A giant gecko skeleton (D:8)
  A giant gecko zombie (D:5)
  5 giant newts
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:7)
  22 jackals
  61 kobolds
  A kobold zombie (Crypt:2)
  5 lurking horrors
  18 rats
  2 bushes
  3 butterflies (Abyss:3)
  4 crawling corpses
  3 fungi
  2 grand avatars (Pan)
  23 plants
  18 starspawn tentacles
  A starspawn tentacle segment (Abyss:4)
5200 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  3 ironheart preservers (Vaults:4)
  A jelly (D:7)
4 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  3 fire giants
  A frost giant (Depths:4)
  A cacodemon (Abyss:1)
  A lorocyproca (Pan)
  An ettin (Depths:4)
  A yaktaur captain (Depths:4)
  A thrashing horror (Zig:4)
  A spriggan (Depths:5)
  An unseen horror (Abyss:3)
  An orb spider (Zig:11)
  A shadow wraith (D:14)
  A large abomination (Abyss:4)
  A shadow dragon zombie (Depths:5)
  A starcursed mass (Abyss:3)
  An orc sorcerer (Orc:4)
  An elf zombie (Depths:4)
  6 drowned souls
  3 orange demons (Pan)
  A tormentor (Pan)
  A hellwing (Pan)
  A jumping spider (Spider:5)
  2 giant fireflies (Depths:5)
  A golden dragon simulacrum (Depths:4)
  A raven (D:15)
  A ynoxinul (Pan)
  2 air elementals (Crypt:2)
  A trapdoor spider (Zig:11)
  5 golden eyes (Abyss:4)
  3 humans (Shoals:5)
  A tarantella (Spider:1)
  A deep elf mage (Elf:1)
  3 deep elf fighters
  A vampire mosquito (Zig:6)
  An ogre (Depths:1)
  An orc warrior (Vaults:4)
  An ice beast (Abyss:3)
  6 small abominations
  5 lost souls
  3 crimson imps
  2 orc priests (Orc:4)
  An orc wizard (Orc:4)
  2 worms
  An orc (Orc:3)
  2 lurking horrors
  A block of ice (Pan)
  61 butterflies
  9 fungi
  9 plants
  75 starspawn tentacles
  440 starspawn tentacle segments
672 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 5876 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Cloughby, the Ogre Wizard, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 16/16 MP: 4/4
    76 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
   309 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
   552 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 24/24 MP: 6/6
   887 | D:2      | Noticed Ijyb
  1557 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 31/31 MP: 0/8
  2044 | D:2      | Reached skill level 4 in Spellcasting
  2044 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 27/39 MP: 9/11
  2559 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 15/45 MP: 13/13
  2878 | D:3      | Reached skill level 5 in Maces & Flails
  3522 | D:3      | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
  3525 | D:3      | Learned a level 2 spell: Repel Missiles
  3529 | D:3      | Learned a level 3 spell: Conjure Flame
  3532 | D:3      | Learned a level 2 spell: Call Imp
  3536 | D:3      | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
  4010 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 51/53 MP: 16/16
  4059 | D:4      | Got a brightly glowing hammer
  4060 | D:4      | Identified the +2,+7 hammer of Impermanence {crush, Dex+2} (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)
  4067 | D:4      | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
  4071 | D:4      | Killed Crazy Yiuf
  4071 | D:4      | Reached skill level 6 in Maces & Flails
  4237 | D:4      | Noticed Rando's ghost (average OgWz)
  4244 | D:4      | Killed Rando's ghost
  4244 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
  4362 | D:4      | Reached skill level 7 in Maces & Flails
  4365 | D:4      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 43/59 MP: 10/18
  4597 | D:4      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  4619 | D:4      | Noticed an ogre
  4636 | D:4      | Killed an ogre
  4933 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  5141 | D:5      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  5383 | D:5      | Reached skill level 8 in Maces & Flails
  5519 | D:5      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  5620 | D:5      | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 2 turns
  5840 | D:6      | Noticed Winman's ghost (experienced DECj)
  5847 | D:6      | Killed Winman's ghost
  5847 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 53/74 MP: 14/21
  6003 | D:6      | Reached skill level 9 in Maces & Flails
  6388 | D:6      | Learned a level 2 spell: Searing Ray
  7038 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  7055 | D:6      | Reached skill level 10 in Maces & Flails
  7073 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  7242 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Vehumet
  7737 | D:6      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 85/85 MP: 21/24
  8091 | D:7      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  8092 | D:7      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  8094 | D:7      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  8146 | D:7      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  8259 | D:7      | Acquired Vehumet's first power
  8259 | D:7      | Offered knowledge of Sting by Vehumet.
  8449 | D:7      | Reached skill level 11 in Maces & Flails
  9380 | D:7      | Identified a scroll of acquirement
  9471 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
  9471 | D:8      | Noticed an elephant
  9474 | D:8      | Noticed a death yak
  9481 | D:8      | Noticed Joseph
  9556 | D:8      | Killed an elephant
  9580 | D:8      | Killed Joseph
  9594 | D:8      | Killed a death yak
  9594 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 80/102 MP: 22/27
  9613 | D:8      | Offered knowledge of Flame Tongue by Vehumet.
  9618 | D:8      | Learned a level 3 spell: Dazzling Spray
  9805 | D:8      | Found a flagged portal.
  9816 | Bailey   | Entered a bailey
  9879 | Bailey   | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
  9882 | Bailey   | Offered knowledge of Stone Arrow by Vehumet.
  9902 | Bailey   | Learned a level 3 spell: Stone Arrow
 10162 | Bailey   | Acquired Vehumet's second power
 10380 | Bailey   | Noticed an orc warlord
 10398 | Bailey   | Offered knowledge of Sticky Flame by Vehumet.
 10404 | Bailey   | Learned a level 4 spell: Sticky Flame
 10483 | Bailey   | Killed an orc warlord
 10525 | Bailey   | Noticed an orc knight
 10598 | Bailey   | Noticed an orc knight
 11015 | Bailey   | Killed an orc knight
 11015 | Bailey   | Reached XP level 11. HP: 110/115 MP: 9/29
 11235 | Bailey   | Acquired Vehumet's third power
 11349 | Bailey   | Killed an orc knight
 11484 | Bailey   | Gained mutation: You have a pair of small horns on your head. [potion of beneficial mutation]
 11485 | Bailey   | Gained mutation: You have a pair of horns on your head. [potion of beneficial mutation]
 11786 | D:8      | Offered knowledge of Fireball by Vehumet.
 12332 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 12335 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 12626 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 13680 | Lair:2   | Noticed an eight-headed hydra
 13691 | Lair:2   | Killed an eight-headed hydra
 14108 | Lair:2   | Offered knowledge of Freezing Cloud by Vehumet.
 14675 | Lair:2   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 83/128 MP: 25/29
 15210 | Lair:3   | Found a hole to the Spider Nest.
 15313 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 15711 | Lair:3   | Noticed an eight-headed hydra
 15725 | Lair:3   | Killed an eight-headed hydra
 16567 | Lair:4   | Noticed Fannar
 16580 | Lair:4   | Noticed Maud
 17017 | Lair:4   | Killed Fannar
 17279 | Lair:4   | Killed Maud
 17759 | Lair:5   | Offered knowledge of Spellforged Servitor by Vehumet.
 17769 | Lair:5   | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
 17999 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging
 18039 | Lair:5   | Noticed Rupert
 18765 | Lair:6   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 124/136 MP: 25/32
 19294 | Lair:6   | Noticed Harold
 19313 | Lair:6   | Killed Harold
 19632 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 20486 | Lair:6   | Reached skill level 12 in Spellcasting
 20641 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 22275 | Lair:6   | Offered knowledge of Venom Bolt by Vehumet.
 22295 | Lair:6   | Learned a level 5 spell: Venom Bolt
 22889 | D:9      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 23185 | D:9      | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 4 turns
 23320 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 23733 | D:10     | Paralysed by a yellow wasp for 1 turns
 24294 | D:11     | Noticed Urug
 24312 | D:11     | Killed Urug
 24312 | D:11     | Reached skill level 1 in Armour
 24556 | D:11     | Noticed Grum
 24639 | D:11     | Killed Grum
 24656 | D:11     | Offered knowledge of Lightning Bolt by Vehumet.
 25257 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 25262 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 125/148 MP: 30/34
 25504 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 13 in Spellcasting
 25944 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 5 in Armour
 26818 | Lair:8   | Offered knowledge of Ozocubu's Refrigeration by Vehumet.
 27205 | Lair:8   | Got a twitching bone ring
 27206 | Lair:8   | Identified the ring "Uxtuunumn" {+Fly rF+ Dex+3} (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)
 27963 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 27969 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 29390 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 29743 | Orc:4    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 30447 | Orc:4    | Reached XP level 15. HP: 156/156 MP: 32/36
 30744 | Orc:4    | Reached skill level 14 in Spellcasting
 30785 | Orc:4    | Found Crown's Magic Scroll Shop.
 30786 | Orc:4    | Found Kloacral's Armour Emporium.
 30787 | Orc:4    | Found Ghuac's General Store.
 30787 | Orc:4    | Found Wiroeshri's Jewellery Shop.
 30807 | Orc:4    | Bought an uncursed ring of wizardry for 420 gold pieces
 30818 | Orc:4    | Learned a level 5 spell: Iskenderun's Battlesphere
 30987 | D:12     | Offered knowledge of Delayed Fireball by Vehumet.
 32184 | D:12     | Found Miang's Armour Shoppe.
 32469 | D:12     | Noticed Josephine
 32515 | D:12     | Killed Josephine
 32515 | D:12     | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
 33209 | D:13     | Learned a level 3 spell: Regeneration
 33218 | D:13     | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 33235 | D:13     | Offered knowledge of Poisonous Cloud by Vehumet.
 33427 | D:13     | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 3 turns
 35860 | D:14     | Found a gate to the Vaults.
 35974 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 36754 | D:15     | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
 36955 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of acquirement for 572 gold pieces
 37244 | Spider:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Spider Nest
 37315 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
 37892 | Spider:1 | Reached XP level 16. HP: 157/165 MP: 37/37
 38197 | Spider:1 | Offered knowledge of Lehudib's Crystal Spear by Vehumet.
 38197 | Spider:1 | Offered knowledge of Shatter by Vehumet.
 38197 | Spider:1 | Offered knowledge of Chain Lightning by Vehumet.
 38551 | Spider:2 | Noticed Arachne
 38824 | Shoals:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Shoals
 38849 | Shoals:1 | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 39213 | Orc:4    | Bought an uncursed amulet of conservation for 420 gold pieces
 40952 | Shoals:2 | Noticed Agnes
 40966 | Shoals:2 | Killed Agnes
 43016 | Shoals:3 | Reached skill level 1 in Earth Magic
 43596 | Shoals:3 | Noticed Frances
 43871 | Shoals:3 | Killed Frances
 44463 | Shoals:3 | Reached XP level 17. HP: 111/175 MP: 6/38
 45032 | Lair:3   | Learned a level 2 spell: Stoneskin
 45104 | Spider:1 | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
 45849 | Spider:1 | Killed Arachne
 48063 | Spider:4 | Learned a level 1 spell: Summon Butterflies
 48415 | Spider:5 | Entered Level 5 of the Spider Nest
 48777 | Spider:5 | Learned a level 1 spell: Apportation
 50595 | Spider:5 | Noticed Nikola
 50626 | Spider:5 | Killed Nikola
 50626 | Spider:5 | Reached skill level 15 in Fighting
 50626 | Spider:5 | Reached XP level 18. HP: 167/193 MP: 36/38
 50735 | Spider:5 | Got a gossamer rune of Zot
 52971 | Vaults:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Vaults
 53123 | Vaults:1 | Reached skill level 1 in Necromancy
 53254 | Vaults:1 | Identified a -2 rod of destruction (13/13) (You found it on level 1 of the Vaults)
 53951 | Vaults:1 | Reached skill level 16 in Fighting
 54642 | Vaults:1 | Reached skill level 15 in Spellcasting
 54767 | Vaults:1 | Noticed an Ice Fiend
 55680 | Shoals:4 | Learned a level 3 spell: Flight
 56430 | Shoals:5 | Entered Level 5 of the Shoals
 56430 | Shoals:5 | Noticed Ilsuiw
 56430 | Shoals:5 | Noticed Kirke
 56444 | Shoals:4 | Killed Kirke
 57000 | Shoals:5 | Reached XP level 19. HP: 199/206 MP: 9/39
 57663 | Shoals:5 | Reached skill level 17 in Fighting
 58321 | Shoals:4 | Killed Ilsuiw
 61047 | Shoals:5 | Got a barnacled rune of Zot
 61960 | Vaults:1 | Reached skill level 5 in Earth Magic
 62215 | Vaults:1 | Reached skill level 18 in Fighting
 63132 | Vaults:2 | Noticed Mara
 63163 | Vaults:2 | Noticed Cloughby's illusion
 63316 | Vaults:2 | Noticed Cloughby's illusion
 63458 | Vaults:2 | Noticed Cloughby's illusion
 63676 | Vaults:2 | Noticed Cloughby's illusion
 63953 | Vaults:2 | Noticed Cloughby's illusion
 63957 | Vaults:2 | Killed Mara
 64523 | Vaults:2 | Reached XP level 20. HP: 183/223 MP: 35/40
 66891 | Vaults:2 | Found a staircase to the Crypt.
 67066 | Vaults:3 | Reached skill level 19 in Fighting
 67432 | Vaults:3 | Found Fruragui's Distillery.
 68315 | Vaults:3 | Found a staircase to the Hall of Blades.
 68344 | Blade    | Entered the Hall of Blades
 68401 | Blade    | Noticed Donald
 68436 | Vaults:3 | Killed Donald
 69635 | Vaults:3 | Found Shagoidu's Food Shop.
 69649 | Vaults:3 | Found Win Onag's Distillery.
 69993 | Vaults:3 | Reached skill level 20 in Fighting
 69997 | Vaults:3 | Reached XP level 21. HP: 237/237 MP: 41/41
 70018 | Vaults:3 | Found Qitz's General Store.
 71170 | Vaults:4 | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
 74384 | Vaults:4 | Reached skill level 21 in Fighting
 76363 | D:15     | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
 76730 | D:15     | Found a staircase to the Depths.
 76927 | Depths:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Depths
 77298 | Depths:1 | Reached XP level 22. HP: 224/252 MP: 30/42
 77950 | Depths:1 | Reached skill level 15 in Armour
 78121 | Depths:1 | Found a gateway to Hell.
 78444 | Depths:1 | Reached skill level 22 in Fighting
 80624 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of enchant weapon I for 38 gold pieces
 81492 | Depths:1 | Learned a level 6 spell: Iron Shot
 81526 | Depths:1 | Paralysed by an ogre mage for 6 turns
 83206 | Depths:2 | Found a portal to a secret trove of treasure.
 83296 | Depths:2 | Found a one-way gate to the infinite horrors of the Abyss.
 83404 | Depths:2 | Reached XP level 23. HP: 237/265 MP: 31/43
 83738 | Depths:3 | Found a gateway to a ziggurat.
 84379 | Depths:3 | Reached skill level 15 in Maces & Flails
 85895 | Depths:3 | Found a one-way gate leading to the halls of Pandemonium.
 86211 | Depths:3 | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 87318 | Depths:4 | Found Qaefrur's Antique Armour Boutique.
 87792 | Depths:4 | Learned a level 2 spell: Swiftness
 88331 | Depths:5 | Entered Level 5 of the Depths
 88331 | Depths:5 | Noticed the Enchantress
 88418 | Depths:4 | Killed the Enchantress
 88418 | Depths:4 | Reached XP level 24. HP: 72/275 MP: 41/43
 88883 | Depths:4 | Got a faerie dragon armour
 88903 | Depths:4 | Identified the +2 faerie dragon armour {rF+ Int+1} (You took it off the Enchantress on level 4 of the Depths)
 88937 | Depths:5 | Reached skill level 5 in Charms
 89003 | Depths:5 | Noticed Jorgrun
 89257 | Depths:1 | Identified a +6 rod of the swarm (9/9) (You took it off a minotaur on level 1 of the Depths)
 89711 | Elf:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Elven Halls
 89760 | Elf:1    | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
 90160 | Elf:1    | Noticed Erica
 90165 | Elf:1    | Killed Erica
 90645 | Elf:1    | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 91549 | Elf:3    | Entered Level 3 of the Elven Halls
 92368 | Elf:3    | Noticed Norris
 92392 | Elf:3    | Killed Norris
 92998 | Elf:3    | Cast into the Abyss (deep elf demonologist)
 93263 | Abyss:1  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
 93545 | Abyss:1  | Reached skill level 10 in Charms
 93612 | Abyss:1  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
 93800 | Abyss:1  | Found a sparkling altar of Nemelex Xobeh.
 93945 | Abyss:1  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
 94079 | Abyss:1  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
 94109 | Abyss:1  | Got an encrusted shield
 94125 | Abyss:1  | Identified the +0 shield "Poatuusu" {Int+3 Acc+4} (You found it on level 1 of the Abyss)
 94668 | Abyss:1  | Reached XP level 25. HP: 124/284 MP: 30/43
 94851 | Abyss:1  | Reached skill level 23 in Fighting
 94932 | Abyss:1  | Gained mutation: Your body is slowly deteriorating. [a neqoxec]
 95059 | Abyss:1  | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 4 turns
 95651 | Elf:3    | Escaped the Abyss
 95997 | Elf:3    | Identified the Volume of Stones (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 96059 | Elf:3    | Identified Iskenderun's Incunabulum of Torrid Conjuration
 96069 | Elf:3    | Learned a level 5 spell: Bolt of Magma
 96207 | Elf:3    | Learned a level 6 spell: Haste
 96653 | Crypt:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Crypt
 98297 | Crypt:1  | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
 98345 | Crypt:1  | Reached skill level 24 in Fighting
 98554 | Crypt:1  | Noticed Mennas
 98617 | Crypt:1  | Killed Mennas
101051 | Crypt:2  | Noticed Sojobo
101633 | Crypt:2  | Killed Sojobo
102142 | Crypt:2  | Reached skill level 25 in Fighting
102613 | Crypt:3  | Reached XP level 26. HP: 264/305 MP: 44/44
102766 | Crypt:3  | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
103262 | Crypt:3  | Noticed Saint Roka
103288 | Crypt:2  | Killed Saint Roka
103528 | Crypt:3  | Found a staircase to the Tomb.
104654 | Crypt:4  | Reached skill level 26 in Fighting
105281 | Vaults:5 | Entered Level 5 of the Vaults
106558 | Vaults:4 | Reached skill level 27 in Fighting
106946 | Vaults:5 | Noticed an ancient lich
107266 | Vaults:4 | Killed an ancient lich
107678 | Vaults:4 | Reached XP level 27. HP: 212/323 MP: 25/45
107976 | Vaults:5 | Cast into the Abyss (deep elf sorcerer)
107987 | Vaults:5 | Escaped the Abyss
108158 | Vaults:4 | HP: 15/323 [deep elf high priest/burst of hellfire (17)]
109339 | Vaults:5 | Got a flickering lapis lazuli ring
109394 | Vaults:5 | Identified a +3 rod of shadows (11/11) (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)
109569 | Vaults:5 | Identified the ring of Joannefe {+Rage rPois rN+ MR+} (You took it off a tengu reaver on level 5 of the Vaults)
110277 | Vaults:5 | Reached skill level 15 in Conjurations
111080 | Vaults:5 | Got a smoking granite ring
111081 | Vaults:5 | Identified the ring of the Heron {rN+ Int-3 SInv} (You took it off a vault warden on level 5 of the Vaults)
111443 | Vaults:5 | Lost mutation: Your body is slowly deteriorating. [potion of cure mutation]
111443 | Vaults:5 | Lost mutation: You have a pair of horns on your head. [potion of cure mutation]
111443 | Vaults:5 | Lost mutation: You have a pair of small horns on your head. [potion of cure mutation]
111846 | Vaults:5 | Got a silver rune of Zot
112638 | D:14     | Learned a level 6 spell: Freezing Cloud
112836 | Depths:4 | Killed Jorgrun
112849 | Depths:4 | Reached skill level 1 in Ice Magic
113238 | Depths:5 | Found Stig's Assorted Antiques.
113263 | Depths:5 | Bought a potion of heal wounds for 120 gold pieces
113466 | Depths:5 | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
113891 | Depths:5 | Noticed Boris
114274 | Depths:5 | Killed Boris
114410 | Depths:5 | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
114998 | Depths:5 | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 3 turns
115037 | Depths:5 | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
115321 | Depths:5 | Found a gate to the Realm of Zot.
115547 | Zot:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Realm of Zot
116689 | Zot:1    | You fall through a shaft!
117713 | Zot:2    | Reached skill level 10 in Earth Magic
118990 | Depths:4 | Bought a slimy pearl dragon armour for 3208 gold pieces
118991 | Depths:4 | Identified the +7 pearl dragon armour "Yxtovufu" {rN+ MR+ Acc+4} (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Depths)
119851 | Zot:3    | Reached skill level 5 in Air Magic
120320 | Zig:1    | Entered Level 1 of a ziggurat
120344 | Zig:2    | Entered Level 2 of a ziggurat
120395 | Zig:3    | Entered Level 3 of a ziggurat
120439 | Zig:4    | Entered Level 4 of a ziggurat
120621 | Zig:5    | Entered Level 5 of a ziggurat
120780 | Zig:6    | Entered Level 6 of a ziggurat
120834 | Zig:6    | Got a glittering tin amulet
120836 | Zig:6    | Got a heavily runed amber ring
120841 | Zig:6    | Identified the ring "Tuopt" {+Fly rElec rPois Dex-2 SInv} (You found it on level 6 of a ziggurat)
120843 | Zig:6    | Identified the amulet of Xaidiar {Ward rN+ Str+1 Dex+1} (You found it on level 6 of a ziggurat)
120959 | Zig:7    | Entered Level 7 of a ziggurat
122020 | Depths:2 | Voluntarily entered the Abyss.
122431 | Abyss:1  | Gained mutation: You are surrounded by a mild repulsion field (EV +2). [potion of beneficial mutation]
123061 | Abyss:2  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
124234 | Abyss:3  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
124596 | Abyss:3  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
124851 | Abyss:3  | Gained mutation: You digest meat inefficiently. [a neqoxec]
124907 | Abyss:3  | Gained mutation: Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body. [a neqoxec]
124917 | Abyss:3  | Lost mutation: Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body. [potion of cure mutation]
124917 | Abyss:3  | Lost mutation: You digest meat inefficiently. [potion of cure mutation]
124917 | Abyss:3  | Lost mutation: You are surrounded by a mild repulsion field (EV +2). [potion of cure mutation]
125548 | Abyss:3  | Got a slimy brass ring
125551 | Abyss:3  | Identified the ring of Winter {Ice Str+1 Dam+3} (You found it on level 3 of the Abyss)
126007 | Abyss:3  | Gained mutation: Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP). [a neqoxec]
126071 | Abyss:3  | Gained mutation: You have large cloven feet. [potion of beneficial mutation]
126282 | Abyss:3  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
127970 | Abyss:3  | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
128030 | Abyss:3  | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
128375 | Abyss:3  | Paralysed by accursed screaming for 1 turns
128382 | Abyss:3  | Paralysed by accursed screaming for 1 turns
128614 | Abyss:3  | Reached skill level 15 in Dodging
128696 | Abyss:3  | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
129592 | Abyss:3  | Gained mutation: Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body. [a neqoxec]
129893 | Abyss:4  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
129915 | Abyss:4  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
130072 | Abyss:4  | Noticed an ancient lich
130084 | Abyss:4  | Killed an ancient lich
130209 | Abyss:4  | Got an abyssal rune of Zot
130616 | Abyss:4  | Gained mutation: You are frail (-10% HP). [a neqoxec]
130810 | Depths:2 | Escaped the Abyss
130920 | Depths:3 | Lost mutation: Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body. [potion of cure mutation]
130920 | Depths:3 | Lost mutation: Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP). [potion of cure mutation]
130920 | Depths:3 | Lost mutation: You have large cloven feet. [potion of cure mutation]
130920 | Depths:3 | Lost mutation: You are frail (-10% HP). [potion of cure mutation]
130978 | Depths:3 | Learned a level 5 spell: Phase Shift
131023 | Pan      | Entered Pandemonium
131030 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat. [a cacodemon]
131063 | Pan      | Reached skill level 1 in Transmutations
131805 | Pan      | Noticed Isivvuumn the pandemonium lord
131827 | Pan      | Killed Isivvuumn the pandemonium lord
131975 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
132797 | Pan      | Reached skill level 5 in Translocations
133701 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
135116 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are resistant to electric shocks. [a cacodemon]
135280 | Pan      | Noticed Pnul the pandemonium lord
135573 | Pan      | Killed Pnul the pandemonium lord
136233 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
136551 | Depths:3 | Escaped Pandemonium
136896 | Lair:3   | Learned a level 6 spell: Deflect Missiles
137253 | Vaults:3 | Bought a scroll of teleportation for 33 gold pieces
137253 | Vaults:3 | Bought a scroll of amnesia for 38 gold pieces
137253 | Vaults:3 | Bought a scroll of teleportation for 33 gold pieces
137554 | Pan      | Entered Pandemonium
137562 | Pan      | Gained mutation: Your body is slowly deteriorating. [a cacodemon]
137599 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
138537 | Pan      | Noticed Strongar's ghost (legendary HOFi)
138594 | Pan      | Killed Strongar's ghost
138931 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
139400 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
139940 | Pan      | Noticed Latt the pandemonium lord
139958 | Pan      | Killed Latt the pandemonium lord
140144 | Pan      | Got a demonic rune of Zot
140886 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
141132 | Pan      | Noticed Weluorr the pandemonium lord
141157 | Pan      | Killed Weluorr the pandemonium lord
142964 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are weak. (Str -2) [a cacodemon]
142974 | Pan      | Noticed Cepsie Psat the pandemonium lord
143139 | Pan      | Killed Cepsie Psat the pandemonium lord
143362 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
143967 | Pan      | Took an exit into the Abyss.
143967 | Abyss:1  | Escaped into the Abyss
144016 | Abyss:1  | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
144346 | Depths:3 | Escaped the Abyss
144384 | Depths:3 | Lost mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat. [potion of cure mutation]
144384 | Depths:3 | Lost mutation: Your body is slowly deteriorating. [potion of cure mutation]
144384 | Depths:3 | Lost mutation: You are weak. (Str -2) [potion of cure mutation]
145379 | Slime:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Pits of Slime
145756 | Slime:2  | Gained mutation: You are dopey. (Int -2) [a shining eye]
145867 | Slime:3  | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 2 turns
146170 | Slime:5  | Gained mutation: You are weak. (Str -2) [a shining eye]
146242 | Slime:6  | Entered Level 6 of the Pits of Slime
146463 | Slime:6  | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 2 turns
146982 | Slime:6  | Found a viscous altar of Jiyva.
147161 | Slime:6  | Noticed the royal jelly
147178 | Slime:6  | Killed the royal jelly
147969 | Slime:6  | Learned a level 7 spell: Orb of Destruction
148047 | Slime:6  | Got a slimy rune of Zot
148657 | Vaults:3 | Bought a potion of cure mutation for 490 gold pieces
149026 | Pan      | Entered Pandemonium
149154 | Pan      | Found a gateway to a ziggurat.
149322 | Pan      | Found an exit through the horrors of the Abyss.
149609 | Pan      | Noticed Skahitol the pandemonium lord
150370 | Pan      | Gained mutation: You are very dopey. (Int -4) [a cacodemon]
150866 | Pan      | Killed Skahitol the pandemonium lord
151533 | Zig:1    | Entered Level 1 of a ziggurat
151553 | Zig:2    | Entered Level 2 of a ziggurat
151722 | Zig:3    | Entered Level 3 of a ziggurat
151722 | Zig:3    | Noticed an ancient lich
151737 | Zig:3    | Killed an ancient lich
151875 | Zig:4    | Entered Level 4 of a ziggurat
152023 | Zig:5    | Entered Level 5 of a ziggurat
152204 | Zig:6    | Entered Level 6 of a ziggurat
152282 | Zig:6    | Learned a level 2 spell: Sublimation of Blood
152300 | Zig:6    | Got a transparent copper ring
152311 | Zig:6    | Identified the ring of Baurph {rC- MP+9} (You found it on level 6 of a ziggurat)
152313 | Zig:6    | Lost mutation: You are very dopey. (Int -4) [potion of cure mutation]
152313 | Zig:6    | Lost mutation: You are weak. (Str -2) [potion of cure mutation]
152313 | Zig:6    | Lost mutation: You are dopey. (Int -2) [potion of cure mutation]
152313 | Zig:6    | Lost mutation: You are resistant to electric shocks. [potion of cure mutation]
152353 | Zig:7    | Entered Level 7 of a ziggurat
152582 | Zig:7    | Identified the Collected Works on Bewitching Creation
152604 | Zig:8    | Entered Level 8 of a ziggurat
152810 | Zig:8    | Got an ancient platinum ring
152817 | Zig:8    | Got a dazzling cloak
152823 | Zig:8    | Identified the +2 cloak of the Republic {Str+4 Int+1} (You found it on level 8 of a ziggurat)
152831 | Zig:8    | Identified the ring of the Ancients {Hunger- Acc+3 Stlth-} (You found it on level 8 of a ziggurat)
152889 | Zig:9    | Entered Level 9 of a ziggurat
153134 | Zig:10   | Entered Level 10 of a ziggurat
153296 | Zig:11   | Entered Level 11 of a ziggurat
153730 | Zig:12   | Entered Level 12 of a ziggurat
153803 | Zig:12   | HP: 12/323 [black draconian monk/bolt of lightning (46)]
153803 | Zig:12   | Splashed by a yellow draconian's acid

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Mace              |    39 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    39
       Unarmed           |     3 |       |       |       |       |    12 |       |       |    25 ||    40
       Whip              |    19 |    74 |    52 |   696 |  1243 |  1563 |  1997 |   265 |       ||  5909
       Flail             |       |    18 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    18
       Morningstar       |       |     7 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||     7
       Hammer            |       |    15 |   284 |       |       |       |       |       |       ||   299
       Eveningstar       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |  1413 |  6806 ||  8219
       Staff             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     8 ||     8
Throw: Stone             |     1 |       |       |     3 |     8 |       |       |       |       ||    12
       Large rock        |       |       |       |       |     3 |     1 |       |       |       ||     4
 Cast: Magic Dart        |    39 |    25 |   114 |   234 |   221 |    54 |    23 |    14 |    21 ||   745
       Conjure Flame     |       |     3 |     1 |     6 |    12 |     2 |    20 |    26 |     1 ||    71
       Mephitic Cloud    |       |     1 |    24 |    31 |    42 |    17 |    12 |     4 |       ||   131
       Call Imp          |       |     1 |    10 |     3 |       |       |       |       |     1 ||    15
       Repel Missiles    |       |     1 |       |     2 |     2 |     7 |     3 |     2 |    19 ||    36
       Searing Ray       |       |       |     7 |     1 |       |       |       |       |       ||     8
       Stone Arrow       |       |       |       |    61 |   188 |   142 |   141 |    99 |   103 ||   734
       Blink             |       |       |       |     6 |     6 |     4 |     6 |     3 |    47 ||    72
       Dazzling Spray    |       |       |       |    49 |   227 |   218 |   116 |   103 |    40 ||   753
       Sticky Flame      |       |       |       |     9 |    25 |     8 |    34 |    20 |    13 ||   109
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |       |       |       |    26 |    18 |     2 |    14 |    43 ||   103
       Venom Bolt        |       |       |       |       |    15 |    58 |   151 |   101 |       ||   325
       Iskenderun's Batt |       |       |       |       |    14 |    43 |    43 |    45 |    91 ||   236
       Regeneration      |       |       |       |       |     2 |     6 |    40 |    79 |   395 ||   522
       Stoneskin         |       |       |       |       |       |     8 |    36 |    44 |   158 ||   246
       Flight            |       |       |       |       |       |     3 |    25 |     3 |    12 ||    43
       Apportation       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     2 |     4 |     1 ||     8
       Summon Butterflie |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |     5 |    17 ||    24
       Iron Shot         |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    81 |  1101 ||  1182
       Bolt of Magma     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   218 ||   218
       Haste             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    80 ||    80
       Freezing Cloud    |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   113 ||   113
       Phase Shift       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    38 ||    38
       Sublimation of Bl |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    31 ||    31
       Deflect Missiles  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     9 ||     9
       Orb of Destructio |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     9 ||     9
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |       |     6 |     6 |     2 |       |     4 |    14 ||    32
  Use: Scroll            |       |     4 |    17 |    11 |    18 |     4 |    12 |    24 |    62 ||   152
       Potion            |       |       |       |     3 |       |    10 |     9 |    10 |    35 ||    67
 Stab: Sleeping          |       |     1 |     2 |     2 |     1 |       |       |       |       ||     6
       Confused          |       |     1 |    11 |    13 |     6 |     4 |       |     1 |       ||    36
       Distracted        |       |     1 |     1 |       |     1 |       |     1 |       |     1 ||     5
       Invisible         |       |       |       |     9 |    21 |    44 |    19 |     5 |     4 ||   102

Here's the full dump. Note that I just got OOD, so I didn't have much opportunity to cast it. It was intended for aliches and OOFs mainly, or anyone else who required an undodgeable orb of damage to the face.
I used plenty of iron shots: 1182
And quite a few eveningstars to the face: 8219

The invisible stabs were actually due to blind enemies from dazzling spray, not actual invisibility.

I got away with what you might consider bad skill order due to having a +9 slaying ring and whip of elec early on. Honestly, you have to go out of your way to lose with a setup like that(Which I certainly did). Acquiring a PDA super early also didn't hurt...

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 16:33

hmm, quite unfortunate... But I find the spellpower of iron shot not that really satisfying...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 18:47

Iron shot was nice to have, it was the most single damage ranged spell available(before OOD, but that fills a different niche), and it seemed to do comparable damage to my eveningstar. Which did a lot of damage, so it was nice for softening up tougher enemies, or taking out stuff at range I needed dead ASAP.

I found the conjurations/melee ogre to be more viable than I would have previously thought, but if I do it again, I'll definitely NOT take vehumet. While some of the features were quite nice (mana regen on kills and increased range especially) the spells he offered me throughout the game were worthless. I think the only one I took was venom bolt. Maybe Oka or ash, although I wouldn't mind suggestions (except nemelex).

This character was strong enough to win, no doubt, and probably could have done 15 runes, especially if played by someone more careful than me. It was also quite fun.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 19:53

damiac wrote:I found the conjurations/melee ogre to be more viable than I would have previously thought, but if I do it again, I'll definitely NOT take vehumet. While some of the features were quite nice (mana regen on kills and increased range especially) the spells he offered me throughout the game were worthless. I think the only one I took was venom bolt. Maybe Oka or ash, although I wouldn't mind suggestions (except nemelex).

Just as one doesn't take Oka for the gifts, one shouldn't choose Veh for potential spells. Wizardry, range extension, and mana on kills are all the best parts of Veh, and if you found those useful, then it was a good choice for your character (maybe not the best choice, but it still worked out for you).

It's true though that Ash would be an excellent choice to counter Ogre's poor magic apts.

EDIT: As a counterexample, here's an Ogre for whom Veh was really almost useless
http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/dc ... 004432.txt

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 20:59

Yeah, the wizardry was the main reason I took veh, along with the other side benefits, not the extra spells. The wizardry just didn't prove to be all that useful, as spellpower was the larger concern. Ash would have actually helped with the wizardry, and the cursing wouldn't have been an issue for the most part.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too