2 Quick Questions


Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Posts: 63

Joined: Saturday, 25th January 2014, 22:17

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 17:00

2 Quick Questions

1. I had a character worshiping TSO and on my way through the crypt I noticed I never got flayed. Was this the rNeg he gives, a property of TSO, or just good luck?

2. I had a character with a bad mutation who then picked up the you evolve mutation. Later when I checked back the bad mutation was gone. Does you evolve actively remove bad mutation or did I just happen to get a good one that canceled the bad one out?
User avatar

Wizlab Walloper

Posts: 222

Joined: Monday, 3rd June 2013, 23:40

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 18:03

Re: 2 Quick Questions

1) I don't believe being flayed interacts with rNeg.

2) "You Evolve" gives you a 50% chance of a good mutation and a 50% of a random mutation. As far as I know, it doesn't actively remove them. It was most likely canceled out by a positive mutation.

Welcome to the Tavern.

Spider Stomper

Posts: 208

Joined: Thursday, 12th September 2013, 15:02

Location: France

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 18:18

Re: 2 Quick Questions

phobetor wrote:2. Does you evolve actively remove bad mutation or did I just happen to get a good one that canceled the bad one out?

From the bot :
When being mutated (not by a god), you have a (current mutations)/15 chance of: (2/3 of the time): cancel the mutation, (1/3 of the time): remove a random mutation.

so yeah, Evolve actively has chances to remove your bad mutations, because even a potion of beneficial mutation has actively chances to ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8782

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 19:34

Re: 2 Quick Questions

Azrael wrote:2) "You Evolve" gives you a 50% chance of a good mutation and a 50% of a random mutation. As far as I know, it doesn't actively remove them.
me, the last time someone spread this misinformation wrote:This is a common misconception. "Random mutation" doesn't mean "50% chance of a good mutation and 50% chance of a bad mutation," it means "random mutation," according to the different mutation weights. For a human, a random mutation has a 59% chance to be good. Note that bad mutations are usually much worse than good mutations are good, so randomly mutating still tends to be a bad idea.
Furthermore, evolution is special, and has an extra 1/5 chance of deleting a mutation (attempts to remove a bad mutation but there are multiple ways for it to do otherwise; see function delete_mutation in mutation.cc), and an extra 1/10 chance to delete itself.


edit: note the "59%" figure is outdated since fast/slow were removed as random mutations
Last edited by duvessa on Sunday, 26th January 2014, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5832

Joined: Thursday, 10th February 2011, 18:30

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 19:44

Re: 2 Quick Questions

Also, aren't there equal number of mutations?
Does it re-roll if you've already got the mutation and it doesn't have a severity?
If you have all the bad mutations at highest severity, do the odds favor positive mutations?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Posts: 63

Joined: Saturday, 25th January 2014, 22:17

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 20:21

Re: 2 Quick Questions

Thanks for the info guys
User avatar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 291

Joined: Wednesday, 6th June 2012, 18:59

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 01:23

Re: 2 Quick Questions

For the record, even before the "random or random good" choice is made, there's currently a 20% chance that evolution will outright delete a bad mutation; so, overall, you have a 20% chance of losing a bad mutation, a 40% chance of a random mutation, and a 40% chance of a random good mutation.

There's also a 10% chance after each of the above that evolution will delete itself.

Dungeon Master

Posts: 3160

Joined: Sunday, 5th August 2012, 14:52

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 14:53

Re: 2 Quick Questions

No form of defense removes the damage from being flayed, though it is scaled to your current HP, and you can avoid it entirely if you aren't natural holiness (e.g. are undead).

Halls Hopper

Posts: 63

Joined: Saturday, 25th January 2014, 22:17

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 16:50

Re: 2 Quick Questions

Interesting. Again thanks for the info.

1. I guess my +9 eveningstar of Holy Wrath just rekilled them too quickly. :lol:

2. Thats really cool you evolve is a lot of fun

Dungeon Master

Posts: 634

Joined: Sunday, 22nd September 2013, 14:46

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 17:12

Re: 2 Quick Questions

Note that gargoyles can't be flayed either, like undead.

Halls Hopper

Posts: 63

Joined: Saturday, 25th January 2014, 22:17

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 17:32

Re: 2 Quick Questions

wheals wrote:Note that gargoyles can't be flayed either, like undead.


Ahh, That may have been it, I can't remember what I was playing but that would make a lot of sense.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.