Defining Categories for Thread Renaming in GDD

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 03:11

Defining Categories for Thread Renaming in GDD

I'm pondering whether this might be a better idea for a post in TwilightPhoenix's thread in Crazy Yiuf Corner, but I'll start this thread here for a more serious take to the rash naming of threads in GDD to 'Proposal: Insert Thread Title'.

Game Design Discussion is for Proposals of new additions, adjustments to game mechanics, alteration of player experience, and discussion of other general concepts relative to game design for this game. It might be a Good idea to break up the little tag line into different categories to help better identify the thread rather then belabor the point of GDD - to Propose things in design of the game.

Some Category Ideas:

Addition: Covers New Additions of a New Piece to the Game - "" Expanded to go Species Addition, Background Addition, Spell Addition, Equipment Addition, etc; as we have lots of Proposals for new things in Game.
    Example - Weapon Addition: Inclusion of Grenades

Adjustment: Concerning Changes to Existing Pieces of the Game, with the purpose of making the Existing Piece work differently but sticking to its original concept.
    Example - Adjustment: Make All Lair Branches 3 Levels

Alternation: Partial or Complete Alterations to Existing Pieces of the Game, with the purpose of making the Existing Piece work in an entirely different concept.
    Example - Alteration: Change Halfling Staves Modifier from -2 to 0

Discussion: Open Discussion of a Concept or Idea with the intention of generating Proposals or establishing if their is a problem that needs addressing.
    Example - Discussion: Inclusion of More Ice Attacks

Removal: Removal of Existing Pieces of the Game, with the purpose of either folding such feature into others or just outright elimination.
    Example - Removal: Animal Skins

Replacement: Removal of Existing Piece of the Game, with the purpose of swapping it with a New Addition that will work in its place.
    Example - Replacement: Spell Mana cost with just Hunger

There might be more ideas for categories, but the general idea is that people scanning the Game Design Discussion Board can quickly look at the first word in the threat title and identify what category the thread is about. Also, while I separated them, the ideas for Adjustment and Alternation are quite close and there might be some mix up between what's up - it might be better to lump it all together.

Just some thoughts for mods to think about when renaming threads in Game Design Discussion.
Last edited by Davion Fuxa on Friday, 15th March 2013, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 07:50

Re: Defining Categories for Thread Renaming in GDD

Good ideas. Ideally posters themselves will make their titles as clear as possible; that's the aim.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 09:19

I don't think we need tags, categories or naming conventions. Just titles that concisely and clearly describe the topic of the post. Btw I don't think adding "proposal" or "discussion" to the title is doing any good. Proposals will lead to discussions about the topic and proposals usually emerge from discussions about a topic. What is important is the topic.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 13:41

When it comes to searching for past content, having a thread title that clearly labels what the topic is about is extremely important. I personally don't browse through the body of a Topic myself when I'm looking to see what has been discussed, just the thread titles themselves since they should be relevantly describing what the topic is about. Having the moderators edit poorly worded titles to something 'Concise and Clearly Defined Title' is okay and helpful for determining what's what; though sometimes it may be difficult to think of a relevant title and a Tag can be helpful. If the moderators feel that they want to add Tag's then they should definitely choose from a broader list than 'Proposal'.

Personally as well, I also think it will make searching for the topics later easier too. New Thread Openers will be able to use the Tags as a potential way to check for Old Content that might have been stated already simply by browsing Tags. If the the thread was worded poorly, at least the Tag may still lead them to it.

I also added Replacement to the above list as a Tag idea.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 14:36

Good titles are important, we all agree about that. What I'm trying to say is that we're not making a good title by describing the type of discussion. It doesn't matter if the OP suggests to change spiked flails or to remove them. Someone else will suggest to add a new subtype and another will talk about weapon delay. The important thing is that the topic is about 2 handed maces&flails. Or maybe it's about weapon differentiation. Trying to describe the type of discussion just distract from the real topic.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Return to Suggestions & Criticism