Translations

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 20:32

Re: Translations

Yesterday I realised that "umbra" seems to have no description.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 21:12

Does "aura"? I can't find that in /dat/descript.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 22:04

I don't think any of the "aura" have a description. They are not features.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2012, 10:32

Italian mother tongue newcomer here, willing to help with translations :D

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2012, 10:45

pappi_ wrote:Italian mother tongue newcomer here, willing to help with translations :D

You're in
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2012, 11:37

galehar wrote:
pappi_ wrote:Italian mother tongue newcomer here, willing to help with translations :D

You're in

I'm adding him.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 25th September 2012, 10:43

Hey, it's been a while (a huge while, ok) since I sat down and did anything about the Greek translation and I kinda feel bad about that, so today I started working on it and boy is it lots of work... Well it's only me, after all. :evil: Anyway, I started downloading things so I can work on a text editor with spell-checker and re-uploaded the following files spell checked and changed some stuff, also they're reviewed;

Backgrounds
Species
Unident
Ability
(this was like half done when I started today)

Still working on items and gods! Lots of text there!

I'm trying to work on the smaller files first though so that I don't see all those empty quotas. :P It's a question of morale.

Check if everything is as it should, Galehar, will you? :)

EDIT: 1111 post! :p
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

For this message the author TehDruid has received thanks:
Grimm

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 7th October 2012, 11:39

(I can translate English->Korean only. Korean->English is soooooo hard to me. Maybe contains lots of bad grammar and wrong spelling :()

Hello. I'm the member of Korean translation team. (And now, only one translator didn't quit team.. it's me)

I almost translated Transifex text (except quotes). but In Transifex, only description exist. I can't translate most of name, battle log, etc.

Where can I find these?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 7th October 2012, 13:16

Ne_Cobalt wrote:(I can translate English->Korean only. Korean->English is soooooo hard to me. Maybe contains lots of bad grammar and wrong spelling :()

Hello. I'm the member of Korean translation team. (And now, only one translator didn't quit team.. it's me)

I almost translated Transifex text (except quotes). but In Transifex, only description exist. I can't translate most of name, battle log, etc.

Where can I find these?

Nowhere. They are still in the code. To move them in text files and allow translation of them, we need to have support for grammar, which we don't yet. We don't really have a clear roadmap, so I cannot tell you when it will happen.
Also, don't translate quotes. It's much better to submit them in their original language.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 7th October 2012, 18:03

Or even come up with good quotes in your language.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 7th October 2012, 21:30

OK. Thank you. :D

jwb

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 8th November 2012, 14:31

German native here. Just put in my join request on the transifex project.
jotwebe on #crawl

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 9th November 2012, 19:46

Just as a suggestion, how about using github? Just have one person have the main language repos, and everyone else fork and branch? Seems much cleaner and allows for tracking as well.
"Well excuse me, princess..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th November 2012, 21:39

If you know how to set that up we could try that. The lack of tracking on Transifex is frustrating.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 9th November 2012, 21:48

IIRC this approach was discussed and dismissed. It would be harder to maintain and would make it harder for translators to start contributing.

The transifex updates are occasionally merged into the crawl source, so there is a little tracking that way (search for commits by "translators"). Not very practical, but better than nothing.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 11:03

I wish to resign from Coordinator for the Italian translation on Transifex.

Currently they are two pending requests for the team by people I don't know, I posted some translations and some translation guidelines but the member which was forced into the team never commented and never acted: so I was forced to stop the work and wait for comments which never come. So I leaving hoping the other people with break the impasse.

I don't know how to resign from transifex directly (I think the position cannot be vacant) so I'm asking for help here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 17:10

Is there someone ready to be new coordinator? Tell me and I can change both of your statuses.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 15th November 2012, 10:05

Grimm wrote:Is there someone ready to be new coordinator? Tell me and I can change both of your statuses.

That's the point: nobody else answers either here or in transifex, that's why I'm stuck.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th November 2012, 10:09

Just let it go dormant for a while. Someone will eventually show up.

jwb

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 16th November 2012, 12:22

I've a couple of questions...

The german coordinator (MacChris/chrischameron0) doesn't seem to be active a lot lately. If someone else would add me to the german team, I could get started doing stuff - without being added as a user, I can't access the glossary. And as long as I can't do that, I can't be definite where there are ambiguities.

Is there a place where terms can be discussed, per language? From the Transifex documentation, the glossary looks to be very terse. Some terms I'd prefer to be able to get feedback on.
jotwebe on #crawl

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th November 2012, 18:07

jwb wrote:I've a couple of questions...

The german coordinator (MacChris/chrischameron0) doesn't seem to be active a lot lately. If someone else would add me to the german team, I could get started doing stuff - without being added as a user, I can't access the glossary. And as long as I can't do that, I can't be definite where there are ambiguities.

I've set you as a second coordinator. Go for it. There's a join request from superbird waiting.

Is there a place where terms can be discussed, per language? From the Transifex documentation, the glossary looks to be very terse. Some terms I'd prefer to be able to get feedback on.

The Russians are using a thread in Strangers' Corner for that. You could start a similar thread there or here in Contributions. Transifex is currently pretty weak on the discussion front.

Also I have tried to add myself as a reviewer but it seems I can't be both a reviewer and a coordinator at the same time. This makes no sense. I will try to see if Transifex can change that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th November 2012, 18:11

TehDruid you have a join request that's a month old.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd November 2012, 00:28

Looks like I messed up adding jwb to the German project as a coordinator. Should be in Ordnung now.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 7th February 2013, 20:25

I would like to help with Russian translation ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th February 2013, 01:54

since85stas wrote:I would like to help with Russian translation ;)

Please ask in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6133

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 07:06

Why was the quotes resource deleted?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 11:08

Grimm wrote:Why was the quotes resource deleted?

I've rewritten the transifex interface and removed quotes to simplify and improve the process. I still need to do some polish and documentation before I make an official announcement.
Now, the quote for the entry foo is in an entry foo:quote. If it doesn't exists, you can add a line with :quote followed by the quote in the description. The new entry will be created in the next sync. It also works for english quotes of course. Example:

Code:
potion of greatness

This is a really great potion.
:quote
And this is a great quote.

After the sync, you'll have 2 entries:

Code:
potion of greatness

This is a really great potion.

Code:
potion of greatness:quote

And this is a great quote.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Grimm

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 16:59

Very cool, thank you.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 17:24

FR: Potion of Greatness

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 25th March 2013, 06:40

Hi, I requested Japanese translation team, then DevTeam(thanks for great works!) gave me a role of coordinator at once.
So, I submitted some translation, after a period of time crawl source merged it into master branch :o .

Am I doing this right? Can I polish texts on Transifex?

I'm afraid if I misuse this translation system.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 25th March 2013, 08:48

akkunchoi wrote:Hi, I requested Japanese translation team, then DevTeam(thanks for great works!) gave me a role of coordinator at once.
So, I submitted some translation, after a period of time crawl source merged it into master branch :o .

Am I doing this right? Can I polish texts on Transifex?

I'm afraid if I misuse this translation system.

Since you're the only member of the team, you're automatically the coordinator. The role of the coordinator is to review the translations of other members, but I don't think many actually do it. You're certainly the only person qualified to review japanese translations :)

Yes, I've rewritten the transifex interface and it's much more easy and efficient now, so you can expect your submissions to be integrated into trunk rather quickly now.
And yes, you're doing it right, and you can polish your translations as much as you want. It is recommended you do if you think they need improvement!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 25th March 2013, 23:13

Thank you for your reply.
I will translate and polish it more, and I will call more Japanese translators :D

For this message the author akkunchoi has received thanks:
dpeg

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 28th March 2013, 13:46

akkunchoi wrote:Thank you for your reply.
I will translate and polish it more, and I will call more Japanese translators :D

Hey, I have recently fixed my script to properly wrap the east asian languages (long lines are undesirable in source files), but when I unwrap them, I introduced superfluous space characters and I'm now trying to clean them out. Some of them, I'm not sure if they were introduced by mistake or on purpose. Do you ever use space characters in japanese or can I safely remove them all? It seems to me that they are never used in japanese and chinese but they are used in korean. Although I'd like a confirmation from someone who knows what he's talking about!

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 30th March 2013, 13:37

galehar wrote:
akkunchoi wrote:Thank you for your reply.

Hey, I have recently fixed my script to properly wrap the east asian languages (long lines are undesirable in source files), but when I unwrap them, I introduced superfluous space characters and I'm now trying to clean them out. Some of them, I'm not sure if they were introduced by mistake or on purpose. Do you ever use space characters in japanese or can I safely remove them all? It seems to me that they are never used in japanese and chinese but they are used in korean. Although I'd like a confirmation from someone who knows what he's talking about!

The Chinese language pretty much never uses spaces. Same with modern Japanese.

For this message the author Scalding Steam has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 30th March 2013, 14:31

Scalding Steam wrote:The Chinese language pretty much never uses spaces. Same with modern Japanese.

Good to know. So I've fixed it and removed them from the translations.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Grimm

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 02:16

galehar wrote:Hey, I have recently fixed my script to properly wrap the east asian languages (long lines are undesirable in source files), but when I unwrap them, I introduced superfluous space characters and I'm now trying to clean them out. Some of them, I'm not sure if they were introduced by mistake or on purpose. Do you ever use space characters in japanese or can I safely remove them all? It seems to me that they are never used in japanese and chinese but they are used in korean. Although I'd like a confirmation from someone who knows what he's talking about!

Yes, The Japanese language also never use spaces.
It seems natural to put a space after punctuation marks such as "。" or "、" (like "." or "," in English) in Japanese if a space is required in a text.

Well, why are long lines undesirable in source files?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 07:19

Some people think setting their text editor to auto wrap is unthinkable. Also, it makes diff much harder to read (to see what has changed in a commit). Although in the case of Japanese and Chinese, we don't understand anything anyway.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 3rd June 2013, 11:08

Hello, I've joined the Czech team recently and started translation, but I've noticed that the last edits are from some time ago. Is the Transifex project still on, ie. is the text still updated? If so, is there any way to try it in game?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 3rd June 2013, 11:59

The translation project is still alive, but the czech team was completely inactive before you joined. To see the changes in-game, you can either convert the transifex files to crawl format using the txc python script found in the util directory of the source, or wait a few days until I do a sync and download the latest trunk.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 3rd June 2013, 12:22

Yeah, I was actually surprised when the current coordinator granted my request for membership because there was so little activity I thought it was everything but abandoned. The few sentences that were translated are of poor quality anyway and need to be translated again.

I'd like to be made the coordinator of the team if it's in your power because the current one isn't really fit for the role of checking other people's work (which is necessary to be included in the trunk, if I understand correctly).

P.S.: I'm sorry if this a stupid question but do you actually need to build the game from source in order to get it in a certain language?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 3rd June 2013, 12:58

lordfrikk wrote:I'd like to be made the coordinator of the team

Done.

which is necessary to be included in the trunk, if I understand correctly

That was the idea, but now I'm pulling all translations because many teams don't use the review feature. It's still useful so I encourage you to use it.

P.S.: I'm sorry if this a stupid question but do you actually need to build the game from source in order to get it in a certain language?

No, you just have to set the language option.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 09:14

galehar, I hate to admit it but I have been unable to find any information on how to set the language option, I rifled through the various docs but no dice. Would you mind helping me out?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 09:25

lordfrikk wrote:galehar, I hate to admit it but I have been unable to find any information on how to set the language option, I rifled through the various docs but no dice. Would you mind helping me out?

put language = cs in your config file. Indeed, I just realized the option is missing from options_guide.txt

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 09:40

Thank you, it works flawlessly! I have one last question (for now :) ) - which strings are missing from the online translations? From a cursory look I'd wager that some of the interface stuff isn't there, correct?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 10:06

lordfrikk wrote:Thank you, it works flawlessly! I have one last question (for now :) ) - which strings are missing from the online translations? From a cursory look I'd wager that some of the interface stuff isn't there, correct?

There are only descriptions because they are static text.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 15:01

Yes, that's what I thought. Are there any plans to make the rest of text available for translation?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 23:21

lordfrikk wrote:Yes, that's what I thought. Are there any plans to make the rest of text available for translation?

There are, but it's such a huge project and we have so little time... Handling grammar is complicated.
Maybe we'll try to add support for translating monster names next.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 11th June 2013, 18:52

I've been thinking about the current state of the translation effort. I concluded it might be worthwile to expose the rest of the text even without support for proper grammar, in order to: 1) get people to actually play the game in their respective translated version (as it is, even with all the descriptive text translated there is no target group that would play such a half-translated game: people who can't speak English won't understand any of the game logic any better with just descriptions translated, and English-speaking people have no reason to play the translated version in the first place); 2) to garner talent that would be willing to chip in their programming skills to get the grammar support done - if there is support only for half-translated game the incentive is not high.

Last point - wouldn't it be worth considering adding actual option in the game to switch language? Currently it's impossible to even know of the existence of other languages except for people who read about it on the forums.

Anyway, I'm slowly keeping at it and hopefully I'll be done by the end of summer. I'll admit my enthusiasm dropped a bit when I learned that whole game cannot be translated, but I understand the time and manpower constrains :) Here's hoping we'll see the game translated in many languages in the future which will bring even more fans and players.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th June 2013, 09:11

lordfrikk wrote:Last point - wouldn't it be worth considering adding actual option in the game to switch language? Currently it's impossible to even know of the existence of other languages except for people who read about it on the forums.

What's the point of an in-game toggle? I'd consider documenting the option if it wasn't a half finished experimental feature.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 12th June 2013, 09:46

The point of an in-game toggle is that the player becomes aware of the option without having to dig through the documentation. In any case, I think documenting it with a warning of being experimental would be a good start.
PreviousNext

Return to Contributions