Disable movement when monster present

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Roy

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 1st January 2012, 01:30

Disable movement when monster present

I like how auto-explore and running (shift-direction) are disabled when a monster is present. Is there any way to get the normal movement keys to do this, and then to create alternate keys (say, alt-direction) to force a move in that direction?

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 1st January 2012, 06:07

Re: Disable movement when monster present

Wouldn't that be horribly awkward? Oh, I see a goblin six squares to the west, so now I can't just run up and attack him, I have to hold ALT while doing so! And the same goes for running away...
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

For this message the author ekolis has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Roy

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 1st January 2012, 15:47

I don't think holding ALT while pressing 4 is very difficult, but I can see that this could get tiresome if you are fighting for a while. Perhaps there could be some sort of mode to switch between my suggestion and normal operation? Alternatively, I would be interested in the opposite of what I suggested - holding down ALT to warn before moving.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 1st January 2012, 20:30

Hold Shift ;)

Roy

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 2nd January 2012, 07:28

Yes, this does what I want, except that it moves many tiles. Is there any way to get it to move one tile? (I still like having the option of running, so I don't want to set the maximum run distance to 1.)

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 6th January 2012, 10:14

Roy wrote:Yes, this does what I want, except that it moves many tiles. Is there any way to get it to move one tile? (I still like having the option of running, so I don't want to set the maximum run distance to 1.)

Actually, that doesn't sound so bad even if I have to get rid of running. Is there a way to change the max distance you run to 1?

Roy

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 6th January 2013, 04:09

If someone (say, I) were to write a patch to implement this, is there a reasonable chance this would be accepted by the developers?

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 8th January 2013, 20:06

Roy wrote:If someone (say, I) were to write a patch to implement this, is there a reasonable chance this would be accepted by the developers?

I have no clue, but I see no reason why they wouldn't put it in and keep it disabled by default, making it possible to change via the settings.

Maybe it should be modal, like in cataclysm, where you switch safe mod on and off by pressing a key, so you didnt have to press it all the time.

Still kinda bothersome though

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th January 2013, 23:31

Wouldn't it be better to just use force_more_message = comes? into view
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 02:57

modifier + movement or a toggle for safe movement would have a much different (better) effect than forcing more every time you see a new creature. I don't think adding this feature is necessary for crawl to be a great game. But I do think that if this feature was to be added, a fair share of people would have a better crawl experience for it. I've been wanting this feature pretty much since I started playing. Seriously if someone could code an option like max_run_distance that can be set to one I would be a very happy man.

Return to Technical Support