Highscore Table

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 06:00

Highscore Table

I would like to see some improvments with the highscore table:

- option to view highscores from main menu
- ability to scroll list and selecting characters to view statistics
- some extra list with champions/best statistics in different categorys (most gold found, most turns played, most deadly monster killed, most points in different skills reached, best item found, best score for particular species/background/god etc.)

For this message the author Mychaelh has received thanks:
mageykun

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 15:20

Re: Highscore Table

+1 to this. Creating a disposable wizmode character to view your incomplete high scores list is just not satisfactory, and the complete scores file is a mess to read with a text editor. A complete, scrollable in game high scores list has been on my wishlist for a while.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 16:03

Yes, that would be very nice.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 16:11

Mychaelh wrote:I would like to see some improvments with the highscore table:

- option to view highscores from main menu
- ability to scroll list and selecting characters to view statistics
- some extra list with champions/best statistics in different categorys (most gold found, most turns played, most deadly monster killed, most points in different skills reached, best item found, best score for particular species/background/god etc.)

Actual statistics might be a bit ambitious, but a scrollable highscore list would be sorta nice. I don't think any of the devs have this on their table, but a patch would be welcome! *hinthint*

That said, the non-death statistics aren't currently stored in the highscore, so that information would only be available for games newer than the patch.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 17:07

I agree. The one time I loaded up the scores file in textedit, I went crosseyed. The ability to view it offline would be outstanding, or even just to scroll up and down after you suffer another YASD...
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 17:18

One more idea:

If the char get selected in the table there should be a sentence in the death statistics about ghost status:

"His poor soul still haunts the dungeon..." "...and took the lives of ABC, EFG and JKL"/ "His soul was laid to rest by XYZ."

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 17:45

Mychaelh wrote:One more idea:

If the char get selected in the table there should be a sentence in the death statistics about ghost status:

"His poor soul still haunts the dungeon..."

Wouldn't that be a bit of a spoiler? If we want to give away whether you left a ghost or not, there should be a special in-game message, too.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 17:48

Umm. Did not know that. I thought that every dead char has the chance to spawn as a ghost until killed a second time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 20:46

I don't think it's much of a spoiler. The bones file in the saves folder pretty much wrecks any chance that the ghost is going to be a surprise.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 21:01

So don't look at the bones files ;)

That said, I've been wanting a good way to view your highscores since .5.2, and even something simple would be greatly appreciated.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 21:09

The dead characters information is kept at distinct files at the morgue folder, corret?
There must be one aggregating file, though, so that the score screen is displayed easily. My question is: which file is that? What information of each character does it contain? It might be difficult to do generic rank listings such as 'which of my characters killed the most Megabats" if this one aggregating file does not contain that information.

If that information is not there, all the files need to be read every time such rankings are required... I mean, I can program myself a simple application that will open each character file, parse and read the information and then categorize it by a defined attribute... but opening, reading and closing multiple files (thousands even) is going to make it run forever before answering.

I'd think that the easiest way of offering different rankings is keeping these predefined rankings from the start. Keep the normal score ranking as it is now and add new rankings for gold, kills, etc.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 21:51

If it weren't for the fact that crawl doesn't quite want to compile for me, I'd probably do it myself. It's pretty much a matter of swiping or reusing the high scores code (look at hiscores_print_all() and hiscores_print_list() in hiscores.cc), throwing in the page up/page down mechanics from the help menu, and throwing in the option at startup (or possibly even in with the help menu).

Return to Game Design Discussion