TSO and poor Hell Knights

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 5th December 2012, 22:50

TSO and poor Hell Knights

As we read from the DCwiki ("TSO"):

Code:
You attack intelligent monsters in an unchivalric manner. This includes attacking a fleeing, confused, distracted, held, petrifying, petrified, paralysed, or sleeping monster, or any monster while you're invisible. This restriction is lifted against demons, undead, evil creatures (spellcasters mostly), and low intelligence monsters (animals and insects mostly).

The restriction mentioned above is *NOT* lifted against Hell Knights. When I try to do that (hitting a hell Knight who hasn`t notice me yet for example), I recieve a message "Really attack helpless Hell Knight?", suggesting, that TSO would punish me for doing so. Is that correct? Well maybe they`re not undead, but have to be extremaly evil, since they serve hellish forces. TSO accepts killing Hell Knights, so I guess he hates them; maybe it would be good to change it.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 6th December 2012, 14:58

Re: TSO and poor Hell Knights

I'm pretty sure that if it warns you, TSO would be pissed. This sounds like a bug to me; I'd report it on Mantis. Your Tavern login will get you in.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th December 2012, 16:06

It's not a bug, the wiki is just wrong (who'd have guessed it). The restriction is not lifted against "evil creatures":
  Code:
// Returns true if the Shining One doesn't mind your using unchivalric
// attacks on this creature.
bool tso_unchivalric_attack_safe_monster(const monster* mon)
{
    const mon_holy_type holiness = mon->holiness();
    return (mons_intel(mon) < I_NORMAL
            || mon->undead_or_demonic()
            || !mon->is_holy() && holiness != MH_NATURAL);
}

You could argue that it might make sense to change this, but currently it is the intended behaviour. TSO demands chivalry against them since they are at least intelligent, natural creatures, maybe.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 6th December 2012, 16:55

That's right, you have to ask the hell knight to repent and then if he refuses Challenge him to a duel. no cheeting.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 7th December 2012, 13:52

Ah, somehow I thought that was game text. The in-game description is correct, too:

Code:
    case GOD_SHINING_ONE:
        really_dislikes.push_back("you poison monsters");
        really_dislikes.push_back("you attack intelligent monsters in an "
                                  "unchivalric manner");
        break;
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 7th December 2012, 16:55

Yesterday TSO got pissed when I used cleansing flame and blew up a distracted hell knight with it. Totally not on purpose, despite having read the thread before playing. Still not my best "TSO gets pissed at everything" moment (prize goes to using recall to get an angel out of a hell effect freezing cloud and landing it into another tile of the cloud, causing much TSO grumbling which I really didn't see coming), but it was fun enough I guess.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

For this message the author ebarrett has received thanks:
rebthor

Return to Game Design Discussion