Can't code but still want to contribute?

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th February 2011, 13:21

Can't code but still want to contribute?

If you don't know how to code but still want to contribute to crawl, there are several ways you can do it:

• Vaults
  • Tiles
  • Speeches
  • Descriptions

We currently get lots of vaults and tiles, but we never have too much of them, so keep them coming! We get much less contributions for speeches and descriptions. If you can write decently, that's a simple way to contribute to the game.
Thanks!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 4
BezerkerJerseyTinkerBell, Cthulhu_55, ManMan, Stormfox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th February 2011, 18:16

Re: Can't code but still want to contribute?

To repeat galehar's instructions for those unfamiliar with mantis, the way to contribute is to go to

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/main_page.php

click report issue at the top of the page, then select patch as a category.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 14th February 2011, 18:25

(for tiles and vaults you will want to select "Upload: Graphics" and "Upload: Maps and Vaults", respectively)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th February 2011, 18:28

One aspect of descriptions that would be very nice to help with is the adding of quotations from literature. From my first games of Crawl I was impressed by the erudite citations from high literature, ancient and modern, tucked away in the descriptions. Bertolt Brecht on human beings, Julius Caesar on bread, Shakespeare on potions...I think my favorite is the bit from Plutarch on gold.

If you happen to read literature in between sessions of Crawl, please keep your eye out for quotes that could be used in the game. With the very international nature of Crawl's player base, we might cast the net wider and include more extracts from non-Anglophone national literatures.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 00:08

This may be a stupid question, but what things do you need in order to make a vault? Basic knowledge of Visual Basic? XYZ Vault Editor? Etc.?

Is there somewhere this question is already answered that I overlooked? Is there a guide for making vaults, assuming you have the necessary knowledge and materials?
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 00:24

For this message the author MrMisterMonkey has received thanks:
dolphin

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 16:40

Grimm wrote:To repeat galehar's instructions for those unfamiliar with mantis, the way to contribute is to go to

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/main_page.php

click report issue at the top of the page, then select patch as a category.

How do I use this to contribute speeches and descriptions? It looks like I'm reporting a bug. Do I just skip all the bug reporting stuff and use the "Upload file" part to upload descriptions and speeches? Would love to contribute but it's just not very clear how.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 16:47

You can submit it as a patch even if it's just a text file. Don't worry about detaile you don't know how to file. It's irrelevant in this case anyway. And thanks for contributing!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 16:49

galehar wrote:You can submit it as a patch even if it's just a text file. Don't worry about detaile you don't know how to file. It's irrelevant in this case anyway. And thanks for contributing!

Is there a list of speeches and descriptions that the devs feel could use improvement?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 16:57

I have a plan for revising pretty much all the descriptions, which I will be posting in about thirty minutes. Stay tuned.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 00:14

I absolutely love the idea of writing dialogue/speeches/descriptions for the various denizens of the dungeon! I already sent a 'bug report' in the fashion you suggested, Mr. Dwarf :) Hopefully I did not submit something stupid or redundant, as I just had an idea or two pop into my head and sent them quickly in excitement, before realizing maybe the character in question (Nikolai, one of my favorites!) already said similar things...

Concerning that, is there a way, or a page or some resource, to see the current speeches/dialogue enemy characters use? I'd love to write up all sorts of things to try and contribute, I love this game and would be honored to be a part of it in any way. Even if I were to contribute 1,000 speech ideas and only one was selected! :) I just don't want to be redundant or waste time submitting speeches that contradict dialogue already in place. Thanks in advance everyone! :D

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 00:42

BezerkerJerseyTinkerBell wrote:I absolutely love the idea of writing dialogue/speeches/descriptions for the various denizens of the dungeon! I already sent a 'bug report' in the fashion you suggested, Mr. Dwarf :) Hopefully I did not submit something stupid or redundant, as I just had an idea or two pop into my head and sent them quickly in excitement, before realizing maybe the character in question (Nikolai, one of my favorites!) already said similar things...

Concerning that, is there a way, or a page or some resource, to see the current speeches/dialogue enemy characters use? I'd love to write up all sorts of things to try and contribute, I love this game and would be honored to be a part of it in any way. Even if I were to contribute 1,000 speech ideas and only one was selected! :) I just don't want to be redundant or waste time submitting speeches that contradict dialogue already in place. Thanks in advance everyone! :D

Look in your Crawl directory, /dat/database/monspeak.txt for the database, /docs/develop/monster_speech.txt to know what it all means and how it works.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 01:22

Also, BezerkerJerseyTinkerBell, did you submit the "bug report" on Transifex or mantis?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 09:10

Grimm wrote:Also, BezerkerJerseyTinkerBell, did you submit the "bug report" on Transifex or mantis?

You can't submit speeches on transifex. Databases are not on transifex yet, only descriptions.
Wild ideas should better be posted in this forum, like the singing sword thread. Only submit reviewed and polished contributions on Mantis (and in patch format if possible)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 11:25

Following up what galehar said: I promise to take care of speech, like I already do with the Singing Sword lines. It might take a bit (up to several weeks) between submission and me looking over it and putting it trunk, but it will happen. I suggest that you use new topics for new speech proposals, at least if there is no recent one already. If you're not sure, just post some lines and ask for feedback -- which you'll get quickly.

Thanks for all input!

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 21:48

Okay, well perhaps I got over excited and I apologize if I wasted anyone's time. I've just thought before that it'd be great to help out with the game. I do believe I sent it in Mantis, and just in a general text way. I guess that was a mistake, and I won't do that again. I'll start a thread on the particular dialogue I would like to present for opinions. Thanks y'all!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th November 2012, 01:36

Thanks for helping out, it's much appreciated.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th November 2012, 10:11

BezerkerJerseyTinkerBell wrote:Okay, well perhaps I got over excited and I apologize if I wasted anyone's time. I've just thought before that it'd be great to help out with the game. I do believe I sent it in Mantis, and just in a general text way. I guess that was a mistake, and I won't do that again. I'll start a thread on the particular dialogue I would like to present for opinions. Thanks y'all!

Yes, I saw it, but didn't get around to make a comment.
It is better to ask questions like those you put on Mantis over here. If you know where you are going, then you upload a bunch of lines on Mantis. Alright?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 10:18

Assuming they're still wanted, are quotes from novels and the like acceptable as long as they're fully attributed? I think a lot of the uniques could have extra flavor if they had great lines while sending you to your doom.....

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 12:28

Prozacelf: Yes, always!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 14:38

prozacelf wrote:Assuming they're still wanted, are quotes from novels and the like acceptable as long as they're fully attributed? I think a lot of the uniques could have extra flavor if they had great lines while sending you to your doom.....

Sure, although it seems your confusing 2 different things: quotes and monster speech. Quotes are displayed after the description when examining a monster and you can submit them directly through the transifex interface (see my recent post on how to do that).
Monster speech is what they say while you fight them and it's displayed in the message area. They are not usually pulled from literature but it's possible (although there's no way to attribute them). You can't submit them through transifex so you'll have to use mantis for that. Existing speech is in dat/database/monspeak.txt so have a look at it to see how it's formatted.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 14:50

Sorry to be so terse before. Transifex will, by way of galehar, take care of quotes you come up with. As far as speech goes, I suggest you provide some lines here. Look around in the database folder of Crawl... there is speech for uniques, ghosts, the singing sword, and there are imp and demon taunts. For all of these, more is welcome!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 22:45

How far along is the AI behavior? There are certain tactical decisions I think some monsters should have a chance to perform during certain situations.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 23:55

XuaXua: what has your question to do with the other posts in this thread?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th March 2013, 06:01

Was responding to the topic.

I think ideas regarding AI behavior are relevant non-coding contributions.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 30th March 2013, 06:22

XuaXua wrote:Was responding to the topic.

I think ideas regarding AI behavior are relevant non-coding contributions.

The topic is specifically about Vaults, Tiles, Speeches, Descriptions. Anything falling outside of that is general game design discussion and we kind of have this whole board for that ...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 30th March 2013, 07:16

galehar wrote:
prozacelf wrote:Assuming they're still wanted, are quotes from novels and the like acceptable as long as they're fully attributed? I think a lot of the uniques could have extra flavor if they had great lines while sending you to your doom.....

Sure, although it seems your confusing 2 different things: quotes and monster speech. Quotes are displayed after the description when examining a monster and you can submit them directly through the transifex interface (see my recent post on how to do that).
Monster speech is what they say while you fight them and it's displayed in the message area. They are not usually pulled from literature but it's possible (although there's no way to attribute them). You can't submit them through transifex so you'll have to use mantis for that. Existing speech is in dat/database/monspeak.txt so have a look at it to see how it's formatted.

I was sort of conflating the two, but I'd be interested in contributing to either. It would be awkward at best to attribute quotes in the actual monster speech. Anyway, I'll check out your post about the transifex interface.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 16th February 2015, 07:35

Hello. I can help with painting some monsters, tiles, items etc. since few know how to paint pixel art.

For example: my work for the Heroes 3: Succession Wars Mod.
Wolf and rider are made on the basis HoMM2 wolf and goblin but some details like an axe, head of rider, shoulder armor - made by myself.

If you want to accept my help, I want to know what pictures you need now

P.S. I'm sorry if my English is not very good :roll:

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th February 2015, 19:04

This thread has a nice list of some monster tiles I thought could use work; you might try your hand at some of those. And in general you can just look around in the rltiles folder and pick whichever you'd like to work on.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
Cthulhu_55

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th February 2015, 20:16

Alternately, THE RELEASE PLANS PAGE of the development wiki shows items that might not have been addressed, and (used to) including tiles that have to be created. Check the latest release number.

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Cthulhu_55

Return to Contributions