cerebovssquire does Youtube?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 19:01

cerebovssquire does Youtube?

I often give advice (sometimes it's good) and so I was wondering if anyone would like to see more extensive advice in form of a youtube video. I'd win one build in 4 hours or so (not too fast, not too slow) while giving reasons for the strategic and tactical decisions I make. Of course you can just look at certain sections of the game if you are having problems with them. Most walkthroughs I see are for easier builds (I've seen HOBe, some melee Mf, FeWz, SpCj and FeVM so far, I think), so I would like to do a bit more advanced stuff, though nothing horrible.
If you would like me to do this, what kind of build would you like to see? I'd do
-primarily Conjurations (OgFE/EE/IE)
-" " physical ranged (OpHu)
-" " melee (MuFi)
-" " stabber/ninja (DEEn of not kiku).
but no summoner. If there is a certain god you're interested in seeing a demonstration of, mention that too!

oh and i would grudgingly do tiles but seriously don't make me do this

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
robotron1971, Styro

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 19:10

Re: cerebovssquire does Youtube?

I would certainly love to see this.

I believe playing a melee/caster hybrid or straight caster may be the most informative. For example, it will give you ample opportunity to display the different movement tactics you employ both when fighting in melee and at range (which I believe is probably where most players make their largest mistakes - that and the misuse/neglect of consumables).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 19:14

That would be one vote for the Og elementalist then. I don't deny that I play crazy chars from time to time but I love melee far too much to play a "pure caster" Ogre :)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 19:23

I'm stuck with EE at the moment so seeing how to build one consistently without dying would be nice.
Maybe cutting boring sections in the video would help (sometimes skipping by hand is risking not seeing something good)
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 19:44

I'm interested, but probably wouldn't watch anything longer than an hour. Cutting out the parts where nothing new happens would be great. Something like that would be much harder to do though, and even harder to do well. It might be better to go with your 4 hour plan and make a top quality walkthrough that reaches only people with a lot of spare time and patience.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 20:43

Probably I'll just make one 4 hour video and release a "highlight" or "unique situations" video a bit later.
I should be able to do this rather soon, hopefully by the weekend.

By the way, does anyone here really object to console? :P

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 20:51

My vote would be tiles.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 20:53

I don't mind console. Would you be doing this online? If so, which server and when?

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 20:55

I probably wouldn't mind, since all the good info is in the voiceover, but I have a really hard time digesting console.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 21:42

How about a Fedhas follower? Or is that too close to being a summoner with the mushroom allies?

Hix

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 22:49

I would watch this. My vote is for OgIE

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 00:32

OgEE maybe? I would prefer it if you would play console.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 00:41

Og elementalist (or necro) would be sweet. Bring the pain and the GSC. Console is awesome.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 03:05

cerebovssquire -- I was really in a rut with this game until I studied some of your morgue files. That got me over the hump and led to my first 15-rune win (now I've got like 9 or 10). I would love to see a video, preferably with an Ogre. I prefer webtiles, but it's not that important.
27 wins: CeHu(1), DgFE(1), DEEE(1), DEFE(2), DsBe(1), DsFE(1), DsFi(1), DsIE(1), HOFi(2), MiBe(1), MiFi(6), MiHe(1), MuFE(1), MuWz(1), OpFE(1), SpEE(1), SpEn(1), TeAE(1), TrMo(1), VpIE(1)

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 04:48

I'll vote for console. It's always been easier for me, perhaps because it's how I learned.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 05:34

OK so far it is
console 4 (including me :P)
doesn't mind console 1
preference for tiles but not too fussed 2
tiles 1

OgIE
OgEE
OgEE/Ne
Og
EE
fighter/mage (which Og is decent at)

Probably going for OgEE in console. Tiles users don't worry, I am sure I can make a tiles one sooner rather than later too, but for my first video I'd like to be in familiar territory. I'll see if I can get around to this today, but it's probable that it will wait till Friday-Sunday.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 07:04

I play webtiles online and console local, but I tend to be confused by quick moving tiles a lot... so I'd prefer console.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 08:56

You could just do both at the same time, tiles and console
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 09:42

Here's the plan! Six videos:
1 D to Lair
2 Lair
3 Orc, D to Vaults, Vaults 1-7, Elf, Blade
4 Finishing D, getting three runes
5 Zot
6 Highlights/interesting parts

I usually don't do Elf or Blade, but I want this to be an extensive 3-rune tutorial so it seems reasonable to do them anyway.

My computer had a problem with some of the standard linux software for this, in particular webcam/audio software (Cheese and guvcview didn't work and I am hopeless with solving software problems), but I have a screen capture program and a webcam/audio program now. I'll make Part 1 today!

p.s. whatever the video might suggest i do not actually look like a badly made marble statue irl
p.p.s wow i'm so bad at talking while playing

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 12:31

It makes things take twice as long, but I've always had better luck voicing over screencasts after recording them.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 12:36

njvack wrote:It makes things take twice as long, but I've always had better luck voicing over screencasts after recording them.

I've finished the pre-Lair part and it went OK in the end. The gameplay and voice, that is, the webcam recording (I wanted to put a little window in the top-right corner with me in it like some others do) is a catastrophe, I got the lighting all wrong and look like a deep elf or something. Anyway, I'm uploading right now, then I will try the youtube video editor and it it doesn't work at all I'll look for a video editor for offline use.

The game was very hard, bad luck with level generation. I made a couple tactical mistakes that could have been dangerous, but I always point out when I regret a decision so my viewers won't make the same mistake. I have a decent amount of strategic and tactical tips in, including some Ogre- and OgEE-specific ones (large rock Sandblast against low-AC enemies <3).

You can prepare a drinking game, 1 shot per "oh boy", 1 beer per "this is bad" and 1 whiskey per "goddamn I can't understand his accent."
milly = melee
skrull = scroll
threllementlist = earth elementalist
pity = pity or piety, it all depends on context

If all goes according to plan, ~2 hours and it will be viewable. :)

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 12:50

Tell us what your youtube nickname is.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 14:32

I'd like a stabber/ninja combo, especially for Zot:5 and the extended game runes. Ithink this would be useful as the tactics used for these characters are not as obvious as simple bashers and blasters. I only understood how SpEn's could ninja the Orb after watching a ttyrec of 78291 do it.

For this message the author flun has received thanks:
Styro

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 17:28

I can't render and upload it tonight, that would take too long. However, the pre-Lair part (50 minutes approximately) will be up tomorrow before noon GMT. The Lair+Orc parts will follow. I need to cut the video into smaller parts, since I am only allowed 15-minute videos as a non-Youtube partner. The first four parts, said 50 minutes, are not very well-made. I've learned a bit from the mistakes I made in my first video, and the next ones will be better. However, the audio quality probably won't improve significantly or at all. I'll be louder and clearer though.
@MIC132 http://www.youtube.com/user/martinthesphinx
@flun Sorry, but I already started an OgEE. If I make more after this, which is possible but not necessarily going to happen, I'll consider all-runing a stabber.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 18:25

cerebovssquire wrote: I need to cut the video into smaller parts, since I am only allowed 15-minute videos as a non-Youtube partner. The first four parts, said 50 minutes, are not very well-made.

Keep in mind you don't need to be a YouTube Partner to upload longer videos. If you have a mobile phone, you can verify your account to upload longer videos. Seeing as how you seem to have a new account, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

The above said though, cutting your videos into smaller parts isn't necessarily a bad idea. Use your best judgment on how long you think your videos should be.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

For this message the author Davion Fuxa has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 18:35

Davion Fuxa wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote: I need to cut the video into smaller parts, since I am only allowed 15-minute videos as a non-Youtube partner. The first four parts, said 50 minutes, are not very well-made.

Keep in mind you don't need to be a YouTube Partner to upload longer videos. If you have a mobile phone, you can verify your account to upload longer videos. Seeing as how you seem to have a new account, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

The above said though, cutting your videos into smaller parts isn't necessarily a bad idea. Use your best judgment on how long you think your videos should be.

Thanks a lot, this is very useful since I do have a mobile. I realise that creating very long videos isn't a good idea, but I think cutting pre-Lair gameplay into four sections is a bit too much of the segmenting :)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 00:02

In the YouTube video description you might want to note important parts of the segment and what times they occur. Hypothetical example:

3:47 ~ Engaging Mara
8:16 ~ Entering Tomb:3
14:21 ~ Used Borgnjor's Revification

This is to serve as a table of contents. Many viewers (myself included) are probably not interested in watching an entire round of Dungeon Crawl, but might be interesting in seeing a particular situation such as how you handle Mara, Tomb:3, when you would use Borg, etc.

btw, what software are you using to record this? I'm interested in doing something similar (for a different computer game).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 06:45

(using Linux) I have made the big mistake of using Webcam Studio and gtk-RecordMyDesktop for audio and video respectively. RecordMyDesktop can do audio too, and I'll use it exclusively next time so it isn't out of sync at all. For editing and rendering I use PiTiVi.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 09:17

I think this will have to wait for a bit... I did just record the Lair section, and after encoding that and saving it it apparently wasn't saved. So there would be a big hole. Also, I was playing badly in parts, so I would need to use annotations to make it worth using a a tutorial at all... which in turn is annoying.
I also managed to overwrite my first rendering, which isn't that much of a problem, but I had a quick look at it before I accidentally got rid of it, and it was of really bad quality (visually, which confused me since I'm not using a camera for this at all; maybe I didn't select high quality for rendering? :(). You couldn't read the text in the skill screen when it wasn't highlighted, for instance.
I'll maybe read up on this a bit more. Maybe I need better software and/or equipment too.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 09:35

Still better than Pearl Harbour.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 10:22

Reading about your challenges to do this, I wonder if you would mind to write a short "how to do it", being a linux user with almost no experience in screencasts and video editing it would be nice.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 14:21

IMO the best way of recording your desktop is just using ffmpeg like this:

ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1280x720 -i :0.0 -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -threads 0 video.mkv

(change the the resolution from 1280x720 to whatever you want. In old versions of ffmpeg replace -preset with -vpre)

That command does a very fast compression that can take up a lot of space. After the recording, you should do a better compression:

ffmpeg -i video.mkv -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -crf 22 -threads 0 video.mp4

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks:
palin

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 15:34

CommanderC, in the ffmpeg example, how would you alter that command to only capture the terminal window in which crawl runs?

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 16:22

cerebovssquire wrote:I often give advice (sometimes it's good) and so I was wondering if anyone would like to see more extensive advice in form of a youtube video. I'd win one build in 4 hours or so (not too fast, not too slow) while giving reasons for the strategic and tactical decisions I make. Of course you can just look at certain sections of the game if you are having problems with them. Most walkthroughs I see are for easier builds (I've seen HOBe, some melee Mf, FeWz, SpCj and FeVM so far, I think), so I would like to do a bit more advanced stuff, though nothing horrible.
If you would like me to do this, what kind of build would you like to see? I'd do
-primarily Conjurations (OgFE/EE/IE)
-" " physical ranged (OpHu)
-" " melee (MuFi)
-" " stabber/ninja (DEEn of not kiku).
but no summoner. If there is a certain god you're interested in seeing a demonstration of, mention that too!

oh and i would grudgingly do tiles but seriously don't make me do this

You are the most awesomest crawler ever. :)

Thanks for doing this!

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 16:27

CommanderC wrote:IMO the best way of recording your desktop is just using ffmpeg like this:

ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1280x720 -i :0.0 -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -threads 0 video.mkv

(change the the resolution from 1280x720 to whatever you want. In old versions of ffmpeg replace -preset with -vpre)

That command does a very fast compression that can take up a lot of space. After the recording, you should do a better compression:

ffmpeg -i video.mkv -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -crf 22 -threads 0 video.mp4

Nice. I'm currently trying to do this, the screencast function of Gnome3 makes files that are sooo big ;)

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 17:12

I'm very interested in seeing a good MuFi run! Although I'd be glad if you went for tiles, tbh...!
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 18:49

Moose wrote:CommanderC, in the ffmpeg example, how would you alter that command to only capture the terminal window in which crawl runs?

You need to know the position and size of the window. The best tool for doing that is xdotool.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
terminal=gnome-terminal
eval $(xdotool search --onlyvisible --class "$terminal" getwindowgeometry --shell)
ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -s ${WIDTH}x${HEIGHT} -i :0.0+${X},${Y} -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -threads 0 video.mkv

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks:
zogre

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 6th October 2012, 03:39

Good lord man, just use Fraps. Been using it for years. In Settings: record full-size, 30 fps, use external mic. The process cannot be made any easier.

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th October 2012, 06:46

for Windows XP, 2003, Vista, and Windows 7

I think that entering a bit into the command line is easier than using WINE to run a screen capture program :P

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 6th October 2012, 07:26

Anything of Kiku would be great. Of the combos in the OP, the stabber and the conjurer look more interesting.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 6th October 2012, 17:42

D'oh, didn't realize you were a Linuxite.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 7th October 2012, 21:47

Shucks I was really looking forward to this. Hope it pans out some day.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 7th October 2012, 22:06

"Some day" hopefully meaning "next week" :)

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 8th October 2012, 18:44

Thanks for putting the time into this project! Put me down as a vote for tiles, if that matters. I will still watch console, obviously, but it would probably be easier to know what is going on with tiles. In console mode I constantly have to examine things to remind myself what they are. :)

Either way, I am eagerly anticipating watching these videos! I have a few wins under my belt, but I know there are some gaping holes in my knowledge of how to best play Crawl.

My vote on what to run would be for a 15-rune stabber. Stabbers are probably my favorite build, but I tend to run into trouble near the end of the lair (when things start resisting hexes). I never know whether to start going melee or spells, or just start ninja-ing runes (and I'm not entirely sure how to best do that). Of course it depends on what I find, but I don't know how to best leverage what my character can already do.

I also see many comments in the forum like, "Once you get X, the game practically wins itself" or "Once you get X, just tab your way through the rest of the game". X is usually Haste, Invisibility, Boots of Speed, Control Teleport, Controlled Blink, etc. I have gotten those things and the game still is incredibly difficult to me and in particular I just seem to start glowing/mutating if I use those very much (other than the boots obviously). Perhaps you are planning on this, but maybe some discussion about how to best use those would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Wins: {SpVM}, {HOFi}, {MfSk, 15}, {MiFi}, {OpWz}, {VpEn}, {KoEn}, {DsFi}, {SpEn}x2, {MiBe}x2, {HEGl}, {VpEn}, {OpEn}, {HOGl, 10}, {DEEn}.
My CAO player page

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 9th October 2012, 00:02

I also think a stabber or other hybrid would be most helpful. I too am curious about ninjaing runes, and how best to use the spells Styro mentioned.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 9th October 2012, 03:47

Another vote for a stabber, tiles preferably but will watch any.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 9th October 2012, 08:36

I'd like to see a stealthy/stabber character too, but I'm actually interested only if extended is covered - i'm fine with any combo of your choice.
I prefer tiles, but I can watch ascii as well.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th October 2012, 10:17

Wow, a lot of stabber requests! And since hybrids seem to be popular too, and I have a Fedhas request (which works nicely with stabbing), I decided to try a DEEn*Fedhas as my demonstration character. Hopefully I can branch out into Conjurations sooner or later. I've started playing it, and am currently in mid-Lair - it's going pretty well, I have been able to demonstrate various uses of the En spells, early game En strategy and tactics, using Fedhas' plant abilities and have a good example of how equipment finds can affect the way you skill and/or play a character. I also have a randart with bonusses and penalties I decided to use, so I give some reasoning on the choice of to wear or not to wear.
I will finish the whole game and then cut the recording into pieces, do some editing (I want to put in short lines of text next to the game that list important strategic and tactical tips) then release them.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Styro

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 9th October 2012, 11:44

Fedhas? Marvelous, I've never played with the fruits' goddess, I could learn something about her strengths - but are you doing late-game with conjuration? That doesn't seem precisely a stabber build for extended :P
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th October 2012, 12:12

I plan to go Jiyva for extended and ninja the runes. I'm not casting any huge conjurations: my current spellset is Bolt of Cold, Invisibility and low-level spells of both schools, some buffs (almost got Haste), and soon to be Controlled Blink. No melee skills yet, since I rely almost entirely on stealth, stabbing, bolt of cold and Fedhas. Soon I will find the staircase to Vaults. I won't be going for Ice Storm or anything, the blastiest thing I will be casting in extended is probably going to be OoD vs ice fiends and bolt of cold against brimstone fiends. Mostly it will be Haste + Controlled Blink + Apportation + Slimify greater mummies. And of course I will continue to try stabbing as many dudes as possible. :)
I heard this story about clearing Zot with Fedhas and then coming back with another god, only to find a ton of oklob plants attacking you that used to be on your side. I hope this can be prevented by only oklob-farming one lung. Worst-case scenario is sneaking past them or killing them with Freezing Cloud+invis. I guess it isn't as threatening as it sounds.

By the way I'm only taking Jiyva to stay exotic in my god choice. Again, I take requests for a god if you aren't happy with Jiyva. Not sticking with Fedhas though :P
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice